PDA

View Full Version : What do you think, should I keep it?

luckies4me
01-13-2003, 01:53 PM
I have this stupid tooth! Urrgh! I am thinking of just pulling it out. With the help of a dentist of course. :)

I had a filling in it. I guess some saliva got underneath the filling and caused an infection. This was one month after I gave birth. It was the WORST pain ever! I would rather be in labor a gazillion more times with no epidural than to endure that kind of pain again.

So I went to the dentist and they prescribed antibiotics. They started a root canal but it was so infected even after 24 shots of novacain I could still feel it. I don't know if any of you know this but the numbing meds doctors have are a lot stronger than your dentist. I went to the dentist twice to get numbed.

Well they said it would take 4 visits to finish my root canal. But it takes about 3 months to get an appointment!:mad: They seriously need to rethink how they work. So they killed a littl ebit of the root but couldn't finish because it hurt so bad. It also smelled like death too. :eek:

So they put a temporary filling in. Then I was eating a fish stick and my tooth broke. :rolleyes: I am thinking of just having it pulled because I am so sick and tired of it! I can't get an appointment unti APRIL and I do not want to wait that long. It bugs the cr@# out of me. It is sharp and always cuts my gums because it's half broken and the only thing that is keepingit together is the temporary filling which is a YEAR old. If that breaks my root will be exposed and I won't be able to eat or anything. So what should I do? Should I just wait and have a root canal finished or risk having it break and pain and just have it pulled? It's really annoying!

Karen
01-13-2003, 02:10 PM
Ask your doctor for a recommendation of another office that could get it done sooner. Just living with the pain is not a healthy thing for you - or anyone! Something needs to be done. There are offices that JUST do things like root canals. Pulling the tooth entirely that this point would cause your other teeth to shift around - is it a molar or a front tooth or where is it? Top or bottom?

Pam
01-13-2003, 02:23 PM
I worked for a dentist for 10 years, not as an assistant but as a receptionist. I can tell you I have never heard of having to wait for a procedure such as a root canal. I would certainly think about finding another dentist. As Karen suggested, there are dentists that do nothing but root canals and, therefore, are much more efficient at what they do. These dentists are called endodontists. Most dentists will refer out to endodontists if the tooth is a molar anyway. My suggestion to you would be to keep your teeth at all costs! Once the root canal is finished the tooth will eventually need to be crowned. Root canal teeth become brittle after time, since the nerve and blood supply are gone. Consequently they can break off. I hope that you at least have some dental insurance, because the fee for your tooth is going to be significant but maybe you can find someone who will set up a payment plan for you. Good luck and let us know how you do!

NoahsMommy
01-13-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Pam
I can tell you I have never heard of having to wait for a procedure such as a root canal. I would certainly think about finding another dentist.
This is exactly what I thought...find a new dentists...your root canal is considered an emergency....

I hope you feel better soon...tooth pain is the worst. :(

Cataholic
01-13-2003, 04:25 PM
Now probably wouldn't be the time to tell my horrible root canal story, would it?:rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

luckies4me
01-13-2003, 04:50 PM
I know! I can't believe they make me wait so long. Yes I have insurance but unfortunately they only cover the crappy crowns. They said I would need to have a porclein crown put on within a year. I could have a gold one but I am allergic to gold so I have to spend even more to have a porclein one done.

I know they canbreak lol. It already has broken a bit, and on a fish stick no less! :rolleyes: I am thinking of going into the dentist tomorrow morning (scared!!!:eek: )for thier emergency walk in clinic which starts at 8, but they only accept 25 people on a first come first serve basis. I am just so scared this temporary filling is going to fall out and I am going to be stuck with a hole in my tooth until my appointment.

And you want to know what else? Urrgh! These people are so stupid! Even though the dentist had already started the root canal they told me I needed to have an exam first. What is that? But I just remembered I think I made an appointment for this month???:confused: I am going to call them right now and see when I scheduled my appointment. They better finish it all that day. Why would it take four times to finish it? Just do it and get it over with sheesh!

But yes the tooth is a molar. Its the second to last from the top right side of my mouth and you can see it when I smile...that old decreped (sp?) temporary filling. Well I will ask them about an endodontis?

If I were to have it pulled I was going to have them put in a spacer. Can't they do that so my teeth won't shift? Dan just got a tooth pulled, a molar from the bottom. Should he get a spacer? I told him his teeth are going to get messed up but he won't listen....

Well I am going to call the dentist right now and then I will let you know what they have to say about this. Oh Cataholic: I would LOVE to hear your story. Please, I want to know what to expect. :)

neko1
01-13-2003, 05:01 PM
I had to have a root canal done in a fake tooth of mine. (I passed out and broke my tooth off ) Somehow it got infected when they put the fake tooth on and my denist had to drill a hole in the fake tooth. Lucky for me I had no pain the entire process, the root canal was nothing for me. But I do remember when he drilled the hole, all this puss came out and it stunk to high heaven, I was like ewww what's that smell, and my dentist said it was the infection draining out.. It was so gross I was trying not to swallow it! But I had no problems, I love my dentist- he's a great guy and I love his staff. In fact I'm going there on wednesday for a cleaning. The only part I hate is him telling me how many cavities I have (man I have HORRIBLE teeth-thanks ma!!)

But I don't think it took months to get an appt. for the procedures-that's really messed up, I would search around for another dentist.

Pam
01-13-2003, 05:03 PM
I would have assumed you were examined BEFORE the root canal began. Step one is to do an exam and take an x-ray. I certainly hope they did that before proceeding. Most insurances cover 100% preventative (cleanings), 80% on restorations (fillings) and 50% on major things (crowns). The type of the crown shouldn't make a difference. A root canal/crown procedure can run around $1,400 in my part of the country ($600 for the root canal and $800 for the crown). I think finances are probably going to play a large part in what you decide. That's the way it played out in the office where I worked. People without insurance usually went with the extractions.

luckies4me
01-13-2003, 05:17 PM
Yes they did do an exam first and an x ray.

My insurance covers all cleaning, fillings, extractions and a temporary crown. However the dentist said those do not last long because they are not made from a mold of your tetth, like a real crown would be.

Well I just spoke to one lady who said I didn't have an appointment next month (hmm. I have it written down in my book) and then told me to call the appointment line. Well they are ALWAYS busy. They never answer their phones, ever! :mad:

So they stop answering calls at 4 which means I need to get back offline and leave a message and hopefully they will call me back before 4. Wish me luck, apparently I need it.

Pam
01-13-2003, 05:20 PM
Yep temporary crowns are also only put on with temporary cement and have a tendency to come out, especially if you floss. ;) I certainly hope that you can get someone to help you and that you aren't in any pain. Good luck!!!

Cataholic
01-13-2003, 05:24 PM
It is probably best that I just say: I had a root canal on a tooth that later needed to be extracted anyhow. But, as Pam said, try to keep your tooth. I have a bridge that isn't noticable, and STILL this area is the most sensitive in my mouth. I loved both my dentists and the staff at each place. One in Worcester, one here in Cinti.

I hear HORROR stories from people about their dentist. I say the same thing- change! There are great dental offices, and that can make such a world of difference. Most of my family (which is large) goes to the same dentist. My oldest brother went to high school with him, we often run into family members there, and it is always funny.

Good luck with your tooth.

NoahsMommy
01-13-2003, 05:42 PM
If I were you, I would really find another dentist...this one is jerking you around.

My hubby has a partial root canal tooth right now...what a wierd way to word that....

Anyway, it was a four chambered root canal and for some reason, they only do two at a time and you have to go back in. He has that temporary cement on the tooth as well. Maybe the exam is to see what has been done? Not sure.

But really, for them to make you wait to fix something they've already began, is wrong...my dentist would never do that.

luckies4me
01-13-2003, 06:30 PM
Thanks for your help everyone!:)

I called the dentist and left a message, they didn't get back to me. I unfortunatly have an HMO so I don't get much of a choice. I will however try to switch dentists. Another thing about this place is that I get a different dentist each time, and when I was younger I always had one dentist, they never switched them on me. I really don't trust these people so I am going to look for a new one. I hope my tooth will last that long.

Anyway, I still have to come up with enough money to have a good crown put on which is around 800 dollars. Luckily our taxes are comming and I will be able to have it done no problem. :) I am still going to see if the dentist will let me make payments because we were going to use this money for a down payment on a house. :)

lizbud
01-13-2003, 08:09 PM
Well at least you can use the money that you were going to
use to purchase an exotic animal to add to your menagerie,
can't you?

Hope you can get this tooth fixed quick. It really does sound
unpleasant & very painful. Good luck to you.

luckies4me
01-13-2003, 08:20 PM
I have enough money to get it fixed, that's not the problem. I just need to find another dentist who I trust. I swear I have always loved going to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned etc. until this root canal. These dentists here are so very different than the ones in California.

It's actually not painful, the tooth. But since it broke it is sharp and sometimes cuts my gums and I hate the feeling of it rubbing against my mouth, it's just sickening.

As far as the mink goes I will be adopting not purchasing, and this won't be for a long time. I still need to get the appropriate license and build the enclosure etc. I don't want to add another animal until we get this other house, as we have decided to let Dans dad stay in the other one for awhile. It's not like we can kick him out or anything. But it will be nice because then Dylan or one of our other children can have it when they are older. :)

luckies4me
01-13-2003, 08:24 PM
Oh one more thing, lol. I am probably just going to get different insurance...althought I know nothing about chosing a provider or anything. Anyone have any tips on chosing a dentist? :)

lizbud
01-13-2003, 08:40 PM
Good to hear that money won't be a problem for you. Don't
have any advice on another dentist though, mine is covered
in my job insurance package & I've been seeing the same one
for quite awhile now. I like his work & have no problem getting
an appointment if I'm in pain. Good luck to you.

luckies4me
01-13-2003, 08:52 PM
Thanks. I am sure I will find a nice dentist. I am going to get insurance that lets you chose your provider. :)

slleipnir
01-13-2003, 08:53 PM
When my mom was younger, she had something like that but she just got it pulled. I'm not sure on the details..she needed a root canal or something and ended up getting it pulled but I think there was something else. Anyway, she never had anything to fix it, so now she has a gap there..I'm so panicy about my teeth, I hate em! I have to get my wisdom teeth pulled god knows when and I'm freaky out about it all ready, I'll hate to know when the date is!!! I'll probably pass out. Stupid wisdom teeth..ok off topic, sorry!

Karen
01-13-2003, 09:17 PM
My father had several teeth pulled when he was in the ARmy, mostly due to bad Army dentistry where he was stationed. He would advocate for keeping your teeth - it's just not the same without your real ones!

Karen
01-13-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
Oh one more thing, lol. I am probably just going to get different insurance...althought I know nothing about chosing a provider or anything. Anyone have any tips on chosing a dentist? :)

Ask everyone you meet - from local friends to the check-out person at the grocery store! If someone LIKES their dentist, that's the one to choose! I like my dentist, but he's on the whole wrong side of the country for you!

HoRsELUvR
01-14-2003, 06:04 AM
i agree that you should chose a new dentist.ask friends or look in the phone book.

Soledad
01-15-2003, 05:59 PM
I always feel completely fresh after the dentist's. They get to places that we just can't even with fancy electric toothbrushes. Also, you're SUPPOSED to go the dentist every 6 months. That's not too much.

And, the lady is scraping off plaque, which cements itself to the teeth. If you don't get it scraped, plaque can be swallowed, enter your bloodstream and cause heart problems.

Karen
01-15-2003, 06:05 PM
People only get their wisdom teeth out if they are causing problems in the first place. I got mine pulled because there was no room in my jaw for them, AND they were aimed sideways! I had already had four teeth pulled on my orthodontists's orders then because I have large teeth and a narrow jaw, so they just didn't all fit! So when he x-rayed, and saw the position my wisdoms were in, he said "Yank them now while they'd don;t hurt, or you'll STILL have to get them pulled in 5 years and you'd get braces all over again!

You probably just have better teeth than your cousins. Two people can have the same brushing habbits, but one inherited stronger teeth, and maybe eats better than the other, so will have less problems, that's MY theory. Going to the dentist does not damage your teeth, they are very careful to not damage the enamel of your teeth - unless you have an incompetent dentist. And if it hurts for months afterward, you might have some gum disease that should be taken care of now, before it causes problems later!

Nomilynn
01-15-2003, 07:57 PM
Some dentists recommend getting the widsom teeth out, even if there is no problem, because of potential nerve damage down the road. They can move in a way that can pinch a nerve and cause more problems than they are worth. I got mine out and even though it's a nuisence (sp???) it's only once and you never have to worry about it again!

COCatMama
01-15-2003, 11:54 PM
DO NOT GET IT PULLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are waaaayyyyyyyy too young to be missing teeth my dear. I am starting the Crown process on the 25th after years of having a dodgy tooth. it abcessed long ago and i waited waaaayyyyyy too long to get a root canal :/. I will let you know how the Crown works out. Do you have dental coverage?

luckies4me
01-16-2003, 01:34 AM
Well I have an appointment on the 28th. :) However, since my dentists are lame it's only an exam...then I can schedule to finish the root canal......don't ask me!:mad:

I don't really care if I lose my teeth, there are always dentures and a heck of a lot easier to take care of. Just pop them out everynight, put them in some sitz and walla!;)

LoudLou
01-16-2003, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by luckies4me
......I don't really care if I lose my teeth, there are always dentures and a heck of a lot easier to take care of. Just pop them out everynight, put them in some sitz and walla!;)

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/Miscmun.gif

4 yrs. ago I had to have 27 teeth removed (all in one appt. :eek: :( ) I only had 27 left....I am all for keeping the "Original" teeth in the mouth, but there comes a time when enough is enough and the pain too intense.....I have been healthier than ever since they took my teeth out, and I will NEVER have to hear the dentist drill again. :D They are easier to take care of but there are also a lot of things we take for granted until they're gone.:rolleyes: Although it is fun to stick them out at unsuspecting people.:D:p

Good Luck with your appt.... I feel your pain.:(

Pam
01-16-2003, 06:57 AM
Cute graphic Loud Lou! :D :D

My mom has dentures and has been wearing them since I was 16 (a LONG time ago, believe me!). She didn't bother to take care of her teeth as a young girl, through no fault of her own. It was just not considered important way back then. She lost her teeth due to gum disease rather than problems with the teeth themselves. To this day she will say to everyone she meets - "There is nothing like your own teeth. Do all you can to keep them." Dentures periodically have to be relined so you still do need to see the dentist occasionally, only with relines you can have your teeth worked on while you are in the next room! :D :D

luckies4me
01-16-2003, 11:00 AM
LOL, you two are really funny. :p

Well I take very good care of my teeth. This was caused by saliva getting under the filling, not bad brushing or flossing habits. Boy do I WISH it would have been a cavity. I kept asking..."Are you sure it's not a cavity?". Nope x rays showed no cavity. That would have been a simple filling, nothing more. Sheesh. :rolleyes: If only I was so lucky, lol.