PDA

View Full Version : The kong thing

sammi
02-04-2001, 04:43 PM
I realize you have talked about the kong toy b/4 but I can't find the posting.
I got Buddy a red kong (he had a blue one - guess that is for water). I thought a kong was a kong but guess not!! Not sure what to do with it as far as filling it with food/treats etc. I did put some treats with peanutbutter in it & they sorta fall right out. If I fill it with food- would this be like a full meal deal in a kong? That amount of food would be too much for a snack. And how does the dog get that last amount of food way at the bottom? His tounge is just not that long. He does like playing with it but, would like to make it more fun for him. Thanks.

Karen
02-04-2001, 04:48 PM
The best way to keep him occupied with it for a while is to put actually peanut butter in it. It may take him a while to get that last bit out, but I bet (unless you got a very big kong and have a teeny dog) he'll eventually get that last bit out! I know one dog who loves to chase his, like a ball when thrown, except it bounces in unpredictable ways, or to play tug-of-war with it - hint: you cannot hope to keep a grip on a smooth and slimy kong - grip it with your thumb inside, and a finger outside, or vice versa - it's your only hope!

carrie
02-04-2001, 04:51 PM
Kong's are a wonderful thing!

Try putting out your dog's quota of food the night before you are going to leave him with a Kong. Say, as you feed him tonights food lay out tomorrow's too. Take as much of tomorrows food as it takes to fill the Kong and fill it. If it is wet food, no problem as long as it sticks together. If you feed dry food add enough water to fill the Kong to the top. Then prop it up in the freezer so it doesn't spill. In the morning you have the perfect thing to keep your dog amused for hours! That bit in the bottom....don't worry about it - it just keeps him using his brain and keeps him busy!

BoxerLover
02-04-2001, 06:40 PM
I've never tried to put food or treats in Nikki's Kong. That seems like a good idea, though. She has the training kong. It is orange (for visibility), has a rope attached (for throwing), has a built in scent pad (for finding), and has the ability to float. It is Nikki's favorite toy and she has spent endless hours tossing it to herself! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif