PDA

View Full Version : More on Minnie (the semi-feral)

Cataholic
01-12-2003, 03:04 PM
Well, does this belong in behavior, or in general? I think I put the others here, so, same with this one.

For those of you that remember, Minnie is my semi-feral adoptee, she has been with me since July. She was part of a TNR program, and found to be too 'un-feral' for the community.

From July to October she lived ONLY in the basement. You guys gave me some great tips on her, mainly not to rush it.

For some odd reason (though I suspect the cold weather..he he), she made it up to under my bed. I relocated a box/food, and that worked for us, for a while. I was able to make contact more easily...I petted her from under the bed (ouch on the shoulder), felt her 'move' into my hand for the first time, witnessed her play for the first time, all from her position under the bed, and mine- obviously, from the floor. This eventually led to many nights of disruptive sleep. Cat wars broke out, and I couldn't easily close out the rest of the herd from my bedroom.

Minnie moved to my second bedroom, with help from me and the vaccum nozzle. This probably took place in early December. I moved box/food into the room, set up a hidey hole in a computer box (pretty big), and set up a place in the closet. I am in/out of this room all the time(Laptop is in here). I can close the door, which I do every 12 hours or so, to give her a chance for privacy, eat, toilet, etc. On this past Thursday night, for the first time, Minnie ate treats while I was still in her sight. She stayed sitting up for the first time, and, are you ready??? MINNIE PURRED FOR ME!!!!!! I was petting her, she was eating, and she kinda flipped over (not quite stomach exposure), and was totally into my pets!!!!!!!!! I nearly died. My arm nearly fell off- I was leaning into my closet, with one arm petting her, and the other hanging onto the door frame, but I didn't care. I couldn't beleive what was happening.

Then, last night, Dakky and I were in bed, and he hissed. This is strange behaviour for Daks. So, I turned on the light, and he was crouched on the bed staring at the window. I went to the other side of the bed, and ON THE WINDOWSILL BEHIND THE CURTAINS WAS MINNIE!!!!!! OMG! Of course, she immediately jumped down, ran under the bed, then ran into her hidey hole in the other room, but, still. I am totally stunned.

I feel like, all at once, Minnie has decided, " I don't really like this separation stuff, I want to socialize with the household". We have so far to go, I know that, but, I am really pretty psyched about the events of the last few days. Thanks for listening and caring!!!
Johanna

NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW PHOTOS OF MINNIE!!

Her 'first' location:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid47/p411b541823e3acd68f67fa47893d772c/fcc81c79.jpg

Her 'second' location under my bed
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid47/p69ac384659b796e46ea2ed14f5c34593/fcc82c87.jpg

kimlovescats
01-12-2003, 03:11 PM
Oh that is WONDERFUL news! I admire you for your persistance, it is certainly paying off.... great job!!!

Huggs and Purrs to you, Minnie and the others!
:)

Miss Meow
01-12-2003, 03:44 PM
What great news! It's such a huge breakthrough :D

You'll probably have some rough times now that 'the cat they could ignore' is coming out, but wow, I'm so happy for you and Minnie!

ChrisH
01-12-2003, 05:37 PM
Yippi! That is SO wonderful!:) :) I am so happy for you! :D :D

Chris

AmberLee
01-12-2003, 06:37 PM
What a breakthrough! I'm excited for you both.

And can I assume that we'll soon be getting pictures of Minnie to delight us, hmmm?

>V<^>V<^ <--little excited cartwheels of joy!

Nomilynn
01-12-2003, 06:41 PM
That is wonderful news! It totally makes me feel happy to know another kitty is saved and happy! :D

Cataholic
01-12-2003, 07:02 PM
OMG! You will not believe THIS! AS I AM SITTING HERE TYPING! Minnie just peeked out of her hidey hole box (think Vermont Cat peekaboo kitty), saw me sitting like a statue, LEFT THE BOX! WALKED AROUND ME, AND CREEPED INTO MY BEDROOM!!!! WHY? I DON'T KNOW!!!!!! I AM CRYING....I cannot believe that six months after she has come to live with me SIX MONTHS! this is where we are, FINALLY!

I have my bedroom window open, so, I hope she is in there, sitting on the sill, sniffing HER FIRST BREATH OF FRESH AIR IN SIX MONTHS!!!! (Yes, it is 35 degrees here, and yes, my heat is on, but, I have to have an open window...)

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? She walked right past (ok, ok, crept) the closet, her second hidey hole, right out the door, into the bedroom...WHY WHY WHY???

What a wonderful day in the herd's life...:) :) :)

Nomilynn
01-12-2003, 07:33 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Vermontcat
01-12-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
OMG! You will not believe THIS! AS I AM SITTING HERE TYPING! Minnie just peeked out of her hidey hole box (think Vermont Cat peekaboo kitty), saw me sitting like a statue, LEFT THE BOX!

You mean she looked like this?;)

Congrats Cataholic!!! I hope this means we will have a new kitty pic added to your herds signature photos.:D

krazyaboutkatz
01-12-2003, 08:53 PM
This is wonderful news. I'm so happy for you and Minnie. :) I sure hope that the rest of your herd will accept her. Thanks for the update. :)

jenluckenbach
01-12-2003, 08:57 PM
I am right now, at this very moment, doing handsprings and back flips in honor of Minnie.........OK OK, only in my dreams....but am so very happy and I KNOW that feeling of joy in a kitty's progress.
Keep up the reports, we don't want to miss a thing.

rosethecopycat
01-12-2003, 09:09 PM
Wow! You have the patience of a saint.

Good girl Minnie! Go get those pets! It feels real good.:D

Barbara
01-13-2003, 06:41 AM
Oh this is a wonderful story. I am sure you will be seeing more progress soon:D :D :D

trinity
01-13-2003, 06:58 AM
As we have all probably been thru this process before we understand that even the smallest forward steps mean a great deal! Congrats! :D And crossed fingers, toes, paws, etc for more progress.

(This also gives me hope for our newest baby who is just starting to realize, after 2 1/2 months, that there is more to the house than just the spare bedroom....:rolleyes: )

Vio&Juni
01-13-2003, 07:52 AM
Wow, wonderful news!!!!
I'm so happy for you!

hellostranger
01-13-2003, 08:13 AM
That's wonderful! Congratulations Minnie - what a brave girl you are!!! :) :)

I'm so happy for both of you. It's always so great to hear of another kitty in a good home.

catmandu
01-13-2003, 09:51 AM
:) :D Wow! You certainly have made more progress than I have, Cataholic! It has been ten yera for Princess the Paranoid and although she loves me and I can pet her , she still hasnt adjusted to the other cats and runs to her basement appartment.But it is great that Minnie is taking to you , I always give a piece of something from the Deli to help things along! Hooray for Minnie!

Cataholic
01-13-2003, 09:58 AM
I NEVER thought it would take this long- 7 months! And, then, I never thought the progress would finally happen.

I swear it seems like Minnie is REALLY trying, and ALL the congratulations go to HER!! I feel like she really wants to work with me.

This am, I went in and fed her treats with my big old head about 8 inches from her, and after about 5 minutes, she ate them. Then, I petted her for about 15 mins, and FINALLY she started to purr- but, I can tell she is still really really nervous. She drools...which is kinda cute, as I haven't ever had a cat do that before. Then, I got her some wet food, and stood (let me tell you, I am in pain from the strange positions I have to maintain for her..) against the door jamb, watching her eat the whole time! She would occasionally look up at me, and I would play eye games with her to let her know things were ok. She then SAT UP, again...this is the NEW MINNIE! And, I tried to tempt her with my robe string..and she made a few jabs at it. GOOD LORD! WHAT IS GOING ON? I am just thrilled with HER progress. I told her how much I loved her and wanted her to be happy, and that I would NEVER hurt her...I think she understood the emotions.

Finally, I felt like we were done with today's lesson. I just can't wait to tell you that she is out of the back room, and sitting on the couch with us. Thanks again for all the concern and good wishes, it means alot to Minnie and I. ( I told her you were all rooting for her.).:)

jenluckenbach
01-13-2003, 10:33 AM
MINNIE'S ON THE COUCH!?!?! Is she high on cat nip??? That is a huge step!
I said it before and I'll say it again, sometimes the "hard" ones are the most rewarding. How many people get this excited when their "lap cat" comes on the sofa with you?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-13-2003, 10:52 AM
I'm so happy for you and Minnie. Whoooo hoooo! She even took a stab at your string, and is sitting on the couch! :eek: :eek: That is amazing progress in such a short time.

Please keep us updated. And pictures would be wonderful! ;) :D :D :D

01-13-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
I am right now, at this very moment, doing handsprings and back flips in honor of Minnie

ooo Jen , have any pics of that :rolleyes: ;) :p :p :p

Johanna , this is a huge break-through !! I am SOOO happy for you! I know you really care about that "feral" Minnie , so this MUST be her New-year's-predent for you !! Congrats to you and Minnie ! Cannot wait to see a pic of her ON the couch (or whatever on ..)

ChrisH
01-13-2003, 12:16 PM
Oh, Johanna, this is just so great, the news on Minnie just keeps getting better and better!:) Wonderful. I am so very happy for you and Minnie! :) :)

Chris

lizbud
01-13-2003, 12:24 PM
Cataholic,

You didn't say that Minnie was sitting on the couch just yet,
did you? Just can't wait to tell people when she does do it, right?

I have really loved catching up with this thread on Minnie. It's
a feeling like no other to be able to finally see results in a rescue
kitty. You & Minnie are doing great. Can't wait to hear the next
report about her. YEAH MINNIE !!!

jenluckenbach
01-13-2003, 01:09 PM
DUH to me....guess I should actually learn how to read.:confused: :rolleyes:

Cataholic
01-13-2003, 01:21 PM
Leave it to another midwesterner (Lizbud) to READ!!! I wouldn't even be sitting in front of my laptop if Minnie was sitting on the couch with us, I would be on the PHONE CALLING EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU!!!!

Hopefully, soon...

catland
01-13-2003, 05:46 PM
oh sweet shy Minnie - we're all so glad to hear that you're making such wonderful progress. You are so lucky to have such a great home.

Keep up the good work.

Cataholic
01-13-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by rosethecopycat
Wow! You have the patience of a saint.

Rose, you sweet thing, as ANY one that knows me knows- I have no patience. It is just something about this sweet girl that makes me different!!!!!

rosethecopycat
01-13-2003, 09:00 PM
A)
I read that line about the couch fast and then took a double take and 'got' what you really meant. I did find it misleading at first. Curious. Just something about the sentence threw a lot of readers.

B)
You have the patience for the important things. I'm glad your reward is starting to show up.
:)

Vermontcat
01-13-2003, 09:33 PM
Yay! You added the pic of Minnie!!! She is so cute in her hidey-hole under the bed.:D Is she a long-hair or medium hair like Tenny? She looks pretty fluffy under the bed.:)

Cataholic
01-13-2003, 09:43 PM
Minnie is a long haired, like Tenny, but, Minnie's hair is soooo cottony, where Tenny's is more coarse...

Vio&Juni
01-14-2003, 02:58 AM
Minnie is soooo beautiful!

ChrisH
01-14-2003, 08:01 AM
oh, my, Minnie is so gorgeous! :)

hellostranger
01-14-2003, 12:39 PM
Yeah, picture! :) Minnie, what a beautiful fluffy girl you are!

NoahsMommy
01-14-2003, 03:08 PM
Leave it to another midwesterner (Lizbud) to READ!!! I wouldn't even be sitting in front of my laptop if Minnie was sitting on the couch with us, I would be on the PHONE CALLING EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU!!!!

Hopefully, soon...
Sounds good, I'll PM you my phone number.... :D

I can't even say how happy I am for you Johanna! That feeling of "oh my gosh, this poor cat, does it know I love it? Is she unhappy here?" and then seeing them progress into what God intended them to be must be so rewarding. I know you say that the congrats should go to her, but you get them too, its your home that she is beginning to feel safe and happy in.

Wonderful news!! I'll be waiting for that call.... :)

wolflady
01-14-2003, 03:27 PM
YAY for Minnie and Cataholic!!! :D What great progress she has made!! Rose is right, you have the patience for what is important...the love of your Minnie girl!! No matter how long it takes, it will be worth it!! Looks like the time and purrsistance will pay off! :D I feel as excited as you are! YAY! :D

Cataholic
01-14-2003, 03:30 PM
{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}} I gotta admit, I love this little girl.

Is it just me, OR, can you tell from the look in her eyes she doesn't have the same level of fear? The pictures were taken about 4 months apart???

NoahsMommy
01-14-2003, 03:41 PM
Is it just me, OR, can you tell from the look in her eyes she doesn't have the same level of fear? The pictures were taken about 4 months apart???
Yes, I can tell a difference....the first one has a scared look in her eyes, the second picture is a much mellower (fun word!) cat.

Edwina's Secretary
01-14-2003, 03:50 PM
Is it just me, OR, can you tell from the look in her eyes she doesn't have the same level of fear?

I see it in her body language! In the first photo she is more hunched and wary. In the second she looks more relaxed and comfortable.

Cataholic....now that you have learned to post photos...are you going to go back and insert in all your posts? Can you provide clues as to which have been edited? ;) ;)

jenluckenbach
01-14-2003, 03:56 PM
1st) Minnie is so beautiful!!!!!

2nd) DON'T be adding stuff to the beginning of the thread....People like me (you know the ones who cant' read) are too slow to figure this stuff out. Just put any edits at the end, for us slow people.

3rd) Minnie really is gorgeous.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-14-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
2nd) DON'T be adding stuff to the beginning of the thread....People like me (you know the ones who cant' read) are too slow to figure this stuff out. Just put any edits at the end, for us slow people.

I agree! Someone mentioned photos and I thought "What I didn't see any pictures, so I had to go back to the beginning and take a look. I'm glad I did because she is a beauty. :) And yes, she does look different like others mentioned. Tense/wary in the first, much more relaxed in the second.

Bring on the pictures!!!! ;) :D :)

Miss Meow
01-14-2003, 05:44 PM
Minnie's head is down and she's cowering in the first pic. She looks much more alert and interested in the second one, no sign of fear at all. Congratulations!!!

Australia's country code is 61 when you call :D :D :D

Cataholic
01-15-2003, 09:05 AM
I will adhere to your advice (or, advise for Miss Meow) on the photo/edits to post and add them at the end. I didn't realize that I had two pics of Minnie, and I wanted to go back and 'beef' it up a little...I KNOW YOU AREN'T CRITICIZING ME, I am just explaining...Cause, I, too, wondered, "How am I gonna let them all know I did this?"...

I was just too excited about my picture-ability!!! Next time, I will do it better!!! Keep on LOVING MINNIE!

Barbara
01-15-2003, 10:13 AM
You can see the difference easily. In the first she says "Does this machine shoot?" In the second she's much more relaxed.
If I think that my own Tigris, never having had any bad experience with humans in his life, took 6,5 years before he slept on my lap -then I can imagine how difficult it may be for poor sweet Minnie.

Lillycat
01-20-2003, 09:13 PM
you just wait and see.....soon minnie will be spending the night with her granny!;)