PDA

View Full Version : We tip because .....

Randi
01-11-2003, 01:12 PM
How Waiters Get Us to Tip More Money

Don't look now, but that nice waiter is playing little tricks to get you to fork over a higher tip!

Rewarding wait staff for a job well done is something most restaurant patrons want to do. There is nothing better than an attentive waiter whose service makes your evening out even more special. The From the Editor staff loves waiters! If there's a waiter working, that means we're not cooking dinner that night. Still, what IS it that makes us leave a high tip or a paltry one?
The How Stuff Works Web site has analyzed the situation. Tipping is not always a sign of a job well done. We tip because:

• We plan to return to that restaurant.

• It's expected.

• We don't want to look cheap.

• We feel guilty if we don't tip.

• We don't want to anger the server.

• It makes us feel better about being waited upon by someone who works hard and isn't necessarily paid well.

And while all these reasons for tipping are legitimate, you may be giving a higher tip to your server because of little tricks he or she plays that makes you want to dole out the cash after dessert. How Stuff Works reports that researchers at Cornell University's Center for Hospitality Research showed that the quality of service received isn't always reflected in the tip. As odd as it may sound, servers who provide excellent service only receive a slightly higher tip on average than those who provide average service.

So what IS going on? Cornell researchers say servers do these specific things to boost their chances of getting a higher tip from you:

Touching
If a waiter touches the customer--a brief brush on the shoulder, for example--they can expect the tip to increase from 11.8 percent of the bill's total to 14.8 percent of the check total. Both men and women fall for this. People of all ages are susceptible to it, especially younger customers.

Squatting
Two different studies concluded that when waiters squat next to the table when they take the order, their customers tip more. In one study it was 17.5 percent instead of 14.9 percent; in the other study, the waiter received 15 percent instead of 12 percent. Why? Squatting allows the waiter to make better eye contact and that closer interaction creates a more intimate connection. And, of course, intimate connections makes us want to hand over more money.

Giving Candy
Isn't it nice to get a piece of candy with your bill? Some of us think it's so nice that we'll tip 17.8 percent when we get candy, up from 15.1 percent when there's no candy. The Cornell researchers cite one study in which servers gave each customer two pieces of candy and they watched their tips rise to 21.6 percent of the bill. But just throwing the candy down isn't enough. HOW the candy is given has an even larger impact on how we tip. The best way: The server gives each member of the party one piece of candy and then "spontaneously" offers a second piece of candy. The payoff? It increased the tip to 23 percent of the bill.
--Cathryn Conroy

In Spain, you often get a shot of some sweet tasting liquoir which is awful, but I suppose, if the waiter is nice and the food to your liking, you'll tend to tip more. :)

AmberLee
01-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Wow! Fascinating. Thanks for sharing that.

Cataholic
01-11-2003, 04:58 PM
I tip based on food and service. I am sure we will hear from other wait staff on this issue. I haven't ever served before, and know there must be opinions from those on the other side of the table. I know that the wait staff doesn't control the kitchen, i.e., food under/overcooked, takes too long, etc., but, I still base my tip on both food and service.

Twisterdog
01-11-2003, 05:38 PM
I don't tip based on food quality. The waiter/waitress can't control that.

I do, however, tip based on how the waiter/waitress .handles it if the food is not cooked properly, etc.

I don't feel obligated to tip out of guilt or being perceived as cheap, not at all. If a waiter/waitress is inattentive and/or rude, I let the tip reflect that!

moosmom
01-11-2003, 06:40 PM
I tip based on their personality, friendliness and how they serve the food. I don't hold them responsible either for how it's cooked. That is the cook's problem. But if they have a great personality, go out of their way to please me and actually show that they like their job, that's it for me. There's nothing worse than a wait person who hates their job and reflects it in their attitude.

Cookiebaker
01-11-2003, 06:53 PM
I always love it when we get a waiter/waitress that is new to the job. They are usually very well mannered, and quick to fill your water glass up. So they may not have everything straight on the menu, but you can tell that they are trying. I like to give them an extra big tip for the effort.

I really hate it when I order an H2O (what I almost always drink) and they never come to refill. That if anything will make me tip less than I ordinarily would. But if the waiter/waitress has a huge crowd and obviously making an effort, then that is OK. But if they are on the other side of the counter leaning on it, and yakking at somebody...grrr!

Fuzzy317
01-11-2003, 09:59 PM
Mine and my fiancee's dinner tonight was $20.22. We left a $5.00 tip.

This was for 3 reasons:
1: to have given other amounts we would have needed change (not a good reason)
2: we have both worked in the service industry before, so we know that some wait-staff depend many times on their tips (being paid less than minimum wage in addition to tips)
3: we were pleased with our service, and we figure some of the customers probably gave a tip that either was low or none at all (about half of the customers there tend to be day-labors, low income families, or people that may not appreciate others)

If I receive bad service, I leave a tip of 3 pennies, and let me tell you why "3 pennies". Once when we had bad service, my fiancee said not to leave a tip, but I told her that they may have thought we simply forgot, rather than we intentionall gave a bad tip for bad service.

Randi
01-12-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Fuzzy317
If I receive bad service, I leave a tip of 3 pennies, and let me tell you why "3 pennies". Once when we had bad service, my fiancee said not to leave a tip, but I told her that they may have thought we simply forgot, rather than we intentionall gave a bad tip for bad service.
John has done the same on a few occasions - and for the same reason. I must admit, I felt a bit embaressed and was in hurry to get on. :D - But, I agree, it is a good way of showing your dissatisfaction! ;)

One time in Spain this happened. We were sitting in a lousy restaurant and had just finished our meal (chicken and fish), the chicken were cut in a way that is was almost dangerous to eat. Some germans came in and sat by the next table and were discussing what to order, so I said: Don't eat the chicken! John couldn't help it but continued: and don't mention the war! :eek: - (Faulty Towers!)

Nomilynn
01-12-2003, 07:51 PM
I think if a waiter or waitress kept touching me I would tip less.. I really would see that as an invasion of personal space. Also, if some waitress kept touching my boyfriend.. :mad: Three pennies = TOO MUCH!!! ;)

my bf and I have been known to tip like 25-30% because of the service. I LOVE it when servers memorize what you order, get it right, and then serve the dish to the right person. I find that very impressive. The one waiter we had that got the high tip did this, and we were constantly asking/changing something, like white onion instead of red, fries instead of something else, etc etc. He didnt mess up ONE thing! Also, he would bring us fresh drinks before we had even finished the last.. he said "I noticed you were getting low on your drink." It was a really nice experience.

Cataholic
01-12-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
I think if a waiter or waitress kept touching me I would tip TOO MUCH!!! ;)

The one waiter we had that got the high tip did this, and It was a really nice experience.

I couldn't resist...I am sooo sorry...I won't do it again.:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Don't be mad Nomilyn!!!!!

Nomilynn
01-12-2003, 09:20 PM
LOL... that's pretty funny!!! hahahahahaha.... just goes to show how easily words are manipulated!!! :D :p

Cataholic
01-12-2003, 09:23 PM
Lest there be any misunderstanding:

NOMILYN REALLY DIDN'T WRITE WHAT MY POSTS SAYS SHE DID. I CHEATED AND MANIPULATED THE QUOTE. I don't think either she or her BF like the wait staff touching them...but, she is a wonderful sport for not getting mad at me.:)

Felicia's Mom
01-12-2003, 09:28 PM
I agree the waiteress/waiter can't control the food quality. I tip if the service is good then I leave a certain percent of the bill. I don't leave a tip in cafeteria style or fast food resturants

Miss Meow
01-12-2003, 09:34 PM
LOL!!! :D :D :D

We had fantastic service at a restaurant a few weeks ago. The waitress met us at reception and offered us a drink before taking us to the table (gotta like that!) and somehow knew I wanted a glass of bubbles. Hmmm, maybe they teach ESP at waiter school as well.

I remember one day I had a work lunch at a really nice restaurant (back in the days you were allowed to have long, expensive lunches on the company account!) The waiter took my food order and guessed that I wanted the chocolate souffle for dessert. I will forever hold him in my esteem as he correctly guessed who on the table also wanted to pre-order the souffle so they wouldn't have to wait long!

Our minimum wages for waiting staff are livable so there's not as much pressure to tip bad service. On the whole, service is pretty good, apart from some places that pride themselves on atti-tood :)

NoahsMommy
01-12-2003, 11:18 PM
I know my opinion on tipping is very unpopular, especially to my friends that work/have worked as waitstaff....

I personally believe that tipping should be something patrons should be able to do if they desire....to REWARD good service. I feel it should be up to the owner of the establishment to pay their employees a respectful wage. It shouldn't be up to me to help pay someones rent just because thier employer doesn't care to do so. I also feel people should work hard because its the right thing to do.

In a perfect world, huh?? ;)

Again, this is only my opinion...don't want to start anything here.