PDA

View Full Version : I'll have a cat, too !

kath00
01-11-2003, 11:00 AM
My parents are very cool... I asked them if we could get a dog or a cat... they decided I can have both! :eek: And they want to get our new pets about in the same time because they will be more friendly together(i'll get my maltese in the month of mars). Isn't that wonderful ? :) :) :)

I would like to get a Siamese. Siamese cats are BEAUTIFUL. And they do not lose a lot of pet hair. But is it true that they can have an "annoying" behaviour (vigorous and very noisy) ?

If I want a calm and quiet cat, am I better to get a Persian ? Is this true that the fur of Persan requires many care? Maybe then I should have an Exotic Shorthair. And I heard Exotics are more curious and playful than the Persian. :rolleyes:

Is there anybody who can help me make the good choice ?

Thanks for your replies. :cool:

kimlovescats
01-11-2003, 11:31 AM
How about a good ole pound kitty? So many are waiting to be rescued from certain death ... just take a quick visit to a shelter, and you'll be SOLD!!! Same with your puppy! Try it! ;)

Christiansmommy
01-11-2003, 11:44 AM
I agree about trying out the shelters first. You can spend alot of money on a purebred cat and their temperment might not be what you wished for when they become full grown...i got my little Dandy at a shelter and she is the sweetest cat ever...also, if you are going for temperment...and you want a calm kitty, you may want to think about getting a young adult that is showing his true colors...rather than a kitten...it is sometimes hard to tell if they are going to have a "wild" personality as an adult also...

Shelters do have purebreds as well...so you might even come across a siamese or persian there as well :)

Anyway, you do whats is best for you, of course, but I just thought I'd recommend the option of a shelter, i have nothing against buying from a breeder to get a certain desired breed...its just another option to explore and kimlovescats is right...you'll be sold when you see all of those cats...its hard to pick just one!!:)

Have fun getting your purrfect kitty companion :)

Robyn

rosethecopycat
01-11-2003, 11:53 AM
Hi,

I got my Siamese from petfinder.com it is a list of shelters with pets available. The good thing about this is they have pictures of the cats and you can specify a breed, the age the gender and the area you are located.
I have a problem making up my mind, (in all matters, not just cat selection) so I found two that looked good to me and I went and got them! I was slightly easier for me with all of those other poor faces looking at me. They practically had the paper work done before I go there, so my mind wasn't full of indesicion. And I really got the right ones! Yeah!

I believe they service Canada. Or there might be a similar site for your area.
If you want a Siamese try
Siameserescue.org and give a Meezer a second chance.

Good Luck and post pictures as soon as you get your babies.
:)

HoRsELUvR
01-11-2003, 12:16 PM
I suggest looking at the animal shelter so u can get your new friends and save their lives at the same time!Good luck on finding your pets!:D

Cataholic
01-11-2003, 02:50 PM
Shelter, shelter, shelter. You are doing so much to help out the babies.

jenluckenbach
01-11-2003, 03:32 PM
It is very possible to find a purebred at a shelter. Buy a purebred is not the only way to go. I've always had "mutts" and they are the best.
Yes, it is true that Persians require a lot of grooming. Their fur is much harder to take care of than other long haired breeds. It is because of the texture.
I didn't want to miss out on saying that I am very happy that you will be getting 2 pets. That is exciting.

krazyaboutkatz
01-11-2003, 06:57 PM
I also agree that you should try going to a shelter. The right dog and cat may even pick you. :) Good luck. I can't wait to hear about them and see their pictures. :)

Miss Meow
01-11-2003, 07:06 PM
Great news! I agree with the others that there are plenty of beautiful, kind-natured cats at shelters who would love to go home with you. Siamese are very popular, but can be very individual animals, so you may find one who has been handed into a shelter by people who can't deal with them. I wouldn't call them 'annoying' but they are often vocal and demanding, which makes them the cat they are. Since we worked out that they rule the house and not us, we have a very happy household :)

Good luck with your search and let us all know how you go :)