PDA

View Full Version : Ringworm

apcrs5122
01-10-2003, 09:40 PM
Has anyone delt with ringworm on guinea pigs? One of mine has it at the moment and the medicine the vet perscribed doesn't work anymore. Please reply!

apcrs5122:cool:

moosmom
01-11-2003, 09:48 AM
I've dealt with ringworm in cats. Miconizole cream applied topically is what I used. It IS contagious to humans as well as other pets so be sure to wash your hands every single time you handle your pet.

Ringworm is a virus that needs antibiotics. I'd check with your vet. Good luck.

tatsxxx11
01-11-2003, 10:22 AM
Your piggie has ringworm, not roundworm?? I'm not too familiar with the specific medications used in the treatment of piggies for ringworm. But my piggie Squeeker has been fighting roundworm now for months! He has been on 5 different medications and none has been able to rid him of this parasite. Everytime the medic. is stopped, he starts having diarrhea again. I hope your piggie gets better! Sometimes an animal might become resistant to a certain medic. Talk with your vet; another might do the trick. And YES, make sure you wash your hands; it is contagious to humans and other piggies too! You might try this cavy site link. It all about health and treatment of illness' in piggies!! Good luck:)

http://guinealynx.info/

apcrs5122
01-16-2003, 08:18 PM
I am putting Miconazol (I don't know how to spell it) on him but he's getting worse. When it first started I took him to the vet and did tests on him and it's deffinately ringworm. He has a vet appointment on Monday so I hope he gets better soon. He's had it for about 4 months now and he iches so bad.
:(
apcrs5122

apcrs5122
01-25-2003, 08:56 PM
Good news! About a week ago I took my poor Rolo to the vet. He is now shaved. Hopefully having no hair will allow the medicine to work better. If not I will have to buy a lime dip and bathe him in it. Wish him luck!:)

Desert Arabian
01-28-2003, 03:13 PM
Ah....I think I'd love to see a picture of your shaved "whinne pig". Poor guy- it has to be pretty chilly with no fur. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

apcrs5122
01-29-2003, 09:01 PM
I would love to put pics. on the site but I haven't learned how to yet. I got a digital camera for Christmas and I'm working on getting that to work with my computer!:)