PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new kitten

Missypooh
01-10-2003, 12:41 AM
Hi,

This site came to me highly recommended and I am looking forward to interacting with you all. I just wanted to know if someone could offer some information on what I should know before getting a kitten such as the best place to find one and what questions to ask. I would also appreciate any information on proper kitten care. I am a total cat person but have not been able to have one for a number of years. I will be moving soon though adn will be getting a kitty so any information you can give me would be great.

I look forward to hearning from you. :D

Nomilynn
01-10-2003, 12:46 AM
Hey Miss!!

(for those who didn't see in General, Missy is my best bud since elementary school!!)

All I can say is: ADOPT!! Save a life!! :D But you've heard me blab about that before!! :D

wayne0214
01-10-2003, 04:50 AM
Missy, welcome to Pet Talk. I beleive this is the best place on the net when it comes to discussing pets of any kind.

When you go to the pet shelter, (which is the best place to adopt a kitty) I suggest that you pick up each cat from its cage, and see if she will cuddle on your chest or neck. Also caress their paws (if you want an affectionate furkid). If you encounter any reisitence to either activity, then the pet will probably not be too affectionate. The 3 that I adopted last month all passed this initial exam, and now I have 3 new, very affectionate "lap kitties".

The shelter will give you papers and brochures that explain how to care for your new pet. When you bring her home, have a place(s) for her litterbox, food, a sleeping box or basket, and water. For a kitten, allow it to explore the entire house and take note of where she goes and stays. Because kittens are notorious for sleeping in various places in the house. When you cannot find her/him then look in those places and probably that is where she will be sleeping. For an older cat, however, they will usually adopt a place to sleep and keep that for a while.

Also, after you let it out of the carrier, have some extra-special kitty food available, such as canned cat tuna dinner or what ever she wants. Some cat are more "crazy" about fish than others. So, it will be necessary to find what kind of cat food it likes the best. I can't think of anything else to prepare for. But if I do, I will post it here. Best of luck.

.......wayne

Vio&Juni
01-10-2003, 05:20 AM
There is nothing more I can add except, that in the beginning you'll have to watch her closely on her "doing her own business". If you teach her from the start "where and how", it's less likely to have problems of this kind.
Give any kitty a chance, even the "non lap" kitties bring a lot of joy.

jenluckenbach
01-10-2003, 06:13 AM
I'd like to add.........WELCOME

Definitely, adopt from a shelter, or any rescue organiztaion. Also, try to move and settle in and then get the kitty (if possible). It would just be so much easier.
Always try to start a new pet out in a room, not with run of the entire house. Imagine how large even an apartment might seem if you were as small as a kitten.
Questions to ask: Age? How did this cat become homeless? (even though you may adopt no matter what the reason, if it were due to, lets say a litter box problem, you'd be better off knowing this from the start) Has it been tested for FIV/FeLV?

But most of all...........YEAH!!! a new kitty!!

smokey the elder
01-10-2003, 07:57 AM
Please adopt! Every year there are SO many homeless cats.

Kittens are rare this time of the year, but if you persist, you can find one. Small (8 week old) kittens start becoming readily available around Memorial Day around here. The date of last frost in your area is a good guide for when the kitten explosion starts!

BTW, welcome to the most addictive website on the whole WWW!:D

catlady1945
01-10-2003, 08:34 AM
Please go to an animinal shelter. There are so many lovely cats at our local shelter who wait so long for a home. Also, don't rule out an older cat. They make lovely companions.

All Creatures Great And Small
01-10-2003, 10:43 AM
WELCOME! So glad to have another kitty lover on board! I'm with the others; please rescue a shelter kitty of any age. My baby came from a shelter at a year old, and he is wonderful. (He's curled up on me and purring right now!) I think Wayne has some great suggestions, and a lot of experience at adopting! :) Can't wait to see who you bring home!

Russian Blue
01-10-2003, 10:53 AM
Welcome!! I have a 7 month old kitten named Nakita and she has been a handful.

The best advice I can give is baby proof your household. Kittens will get into everything! Also, make sure you don't have any plants that are toxic to cats (many people forget about the plants until their cat gets sick). Also, be patient with the new kitten. Teaching her/him what is right from wrong takes patience and love not anger and frustration.

Also, please don't consider declawing the kitten.There are many views on declawing but in the end you should do what is in the best interests of the cat. And no cat would favour declawing! If you need any info on declawing I would be happy to provide it for you.

The best way to provide the best for your cat is to educate yourself first. I had a very scary experience when I took Nakita to be spayed. The drug that they used had a really bad effect on her and I had no idea to even ask what type of drug the vet was using. When I started reading up on the drug many people have had the same experience and will no longer allow their vet's to use it. Now I have educated myself and will be looking for another type of anaesthetic if she needs another operation.

Ok, I'm stepping off my soap box! Feel free to ask any questions at anytime. And remember to post pics when you get the little one home with you!

:D ;)

Cataholic
01-10-2003, 12:34 PM
Hi MissyPooh- The only thing I can add, that none of these guys even addressed, was you have to adopt a TUXEDO cat. They are the very very very cutest in the whole world....just ask me!!! He he he...good luck. I wish I was in your shoes, and going to get another kitty! That is sooooo fun....

catland
01-10-2003, 01:01 PM
a new kitty - how fun.

One thing that I've heard about personalities can be somewhat predicted by their body types. A very long lean kitty with big ears and eyes - like siamese, abys, oriental shorthairs - will be a handful! They will be loads of fun, but you need to be prepared to spend a LOT of time with them because they will get into everything. Some of them are also very talkative.

In contrast, your rounder, more stocky kitties have a better chance at being quieter and more laid back and mellow.

Of course, these are only guidelines. Shelters also write up personality profiles on the kitties that can be quite accurate. When I adopted Sid from a shelter, they reported that he was very shy and needed lots of TLC - this translates into "he isn't an affectionate lap cat" (but I love him anyway!).

AmberLee
01-10-2003, 03:15 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk, Missy.

Are you particularly interested in getting a kitten, or a cat? (I'm assuming you are employed outside the home, sorry if this is wrong.) Kittens are really high energy and want a lot of attention: mine were absolute delights, but I'm glad they've mellowed as they've aged. If you are set on a kitten, may I suggest you get two so they can entertain each other while you are out/at work, etc.? It's worked great for me, at least. Two cats/kittens aren't that much more expensive than one, and the energy they burn off of each other can be a huge relief for you.

I'd also like to reiterate some of the other's comments. Yes, rescuing a shelter baby/babies is a great way to go. I also agree that it's best to complete the move and at least most of the unpacking before you bring your new treasure home.

A friend recommended that you allow the cat to select YOU instead of selecting a cat: most that have done this have had great relationships with their fur-kids. See if your shelter allows this. (The cat approaches you and picks you out...)

Good luck, we are excited for you. Do keep us apprised of your progress!

catmandu
01-11-2003, 09:53 AM
I pray that you will take the unanimous tips from this Forum and adopt from the local shelter , as every adoptiopn gives another cat more time to find a guardian. and give an older cat a chance , they are great friends and you know what you are getting , as thier purrsonalities are set . God Bless The little stray cats and dogs!

Missypooh
01-11-2003, 01:12 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to send out a big thank you for all the information that you have all provided. I really appreciate it. My boyfriend has actually said that I can have two kittens becuase we will not be around as much as we would like and they would then have each other for company. I plan on adopting my kittens from a shelter. I do not like or trust pet stores.

Please keep the advice coming as I really enjoy it.

Missy :p

jenluckenbach
01-11-2003, 02:40 PM
OH, now I am twice as excited. 2 kitties. that is even better than 1!!

can't wait to hear what you find and decide to take home.

p.s. I go for the males much more than the females, just my point of view.

Miss Meow
01-11-2003, 07:01 PM
Yay, two kitties is better than one! We initially got two who grew up together and they are inseparable. Then we got another two and they have developed into best buddies as well.

Like Jen, I find the boys a bit more relaxed than the girls but that's just us. One of ours is a girl and we wouldn't trade her for all the world. Have a look at your local shelter and the right cat/s will let you know who they are. Good luck with your search :)

krazyaboutkatz
01-11-2003, 07:10 PM
I'm so glad that you're able to get two cats. :) Like the others have said I also think that shelters or rescue organizations are the best places to adopt cats or any other animal. My Storm chose me and I got him at the Humane Society. I also fell in love with males. They tend to be more loving, easy going, and goofy. :) Good luck with your search. I can't wait to hear about your 2 new cats and see pics of them. :)

Nomilynn
01-12-2003, 06:55 PM
And of course, can I go with you to the shelter when you go?? :D

I've found that the sex of the cat didn't matter. When I got Bassett I had to get more girls because Bassett doesn't like boy cats (I don't know why) but all the other cats we ever had were boys.

I can't wait for you to get your kitten! It will be so fun!! :D

Cataholic
01-12-2003, 07:10 PM
I just want to chime in (again...he he he) and voice my opinion as to the gender of the kitties...I don't know if I really notice a difference (ok, I do notice a little difference)...my herd is all loving, all frisky, all bad (sometimes), all mellow and melodramatic without much notice to gender...GET US SOME KITTENS MISSY!