PDA

View Full Version : Name Suggestions Please?

Fuzzy317
01-09-2003, 03:05 PM
This is DJ, our current foster. He is a merlequin Great Dane about 10 months old. He has just gotten his cast off. He will be with us until he is 100%. We need your help in getting him a new name, to start his new life. He follows me everywhere, I can hardly go out of the room without being followed. His name will not be "Shadow" or "Spot", so please think of other names.

Here is a full body picture with the cast.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid44/pdbf30b8314051a33c3c54c9f8d4a9e83/fcdc7647.jpg

And here he is without the cast.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid45/p367e57892dd84a2527107c0aaff69e8e/fcd5be3e.jpg

I will post back when a name is picked.

Thank you all in advance. :)

primabella
01-09-2003, 03:23 PM
aww, what a cutie. i would suggest the name shadow for a dog like that, who follows you. i've always liked that name. sorry, no other suggestions. good luck :)

Edwina's Secretary
01-09-2003, 03:38 PM
Normally, I like your basic "Bob", "Harry", etc....but in this case...how about Camouflage ??? He looks like he is wearing it!

ParNone
01-09-2003, 04:11 PM
What a gorgeous dog!!

I really like Edwina's suggestion. Really fits him. And you could
call him Cammie for short. Or maybe GI Joe. :)

Don't think this fits him, but I recently saw a name for a Collie
that I really liked... Banda...

Par...

shais_mom
01-09-2003, 04:23 PM
He has such an usual face marking, how about Face?
A friend of mine named his puppy that b/c he had a cute face.
I like the suggestion of Camoflage (sp) but Cammie sounds too feminine, how about calling him Camo.
Are there any other traits of his that would clue us in on more appropriate names? :)

ChrisH
01-09-2003, 04:48 PM
My name suggestion is Merlin, don`t know why. :D

Twisterdog
01-09-2003, 05:06 PM
My gosh, that is a beautiful dog! I've never seen a Dane that color before. Lovely!

I know what you mean about Spot and Shadow .... I own a grooming shop and boarding kennel and I get SO sick and tired of the same old names, year after year. Most of my dogs have common names, because they were already named when I rescued them. :rolleyes:

I like mythological names, so:

Achilles (whose only weakness was his heel)
Adonis (handsome)
Apollo
Aquilo
Arachne
Ares (God of the war)
Argo
Baldur (Norse god of light and joy)
Bast
Centaur
Cerebus (Three headed dog that guards the gates of hell.)
Galahad
Loki (Norse god of mischief, trickery, and thieves (nemesis of Thor))
Nike (messenger of the Gods, with wings on his feet)
Niobe
Odin (The central Viking God, big and powerful)
Raiden (god of lighting)
Thor (God of Thunder)
Zeus

Logan
01-09-2003, 05:32 PM
I like "Joe" as in "GI Joe"'!!

tatsxxx11
01-09-2003, 05:38 PM
I have a friend who has a harlequin Great Dane and his name is Harely! It fits him perfectly! I like Joe too!

Cincy'sMom
01-09-2003, 05:41 PM
For some reason Danny popped in my head...how 'bout Danny Joe (DJ :) )

aly
01-09-2003, 06:31 PM
how about Velcro? Hehe.

slleipnir
01-09-2003, 07:30 PM
I don't really have any sugestions, but beautiful dog!! I love his colors!

RubyMutt
01-09-2003, 07:39 PM
Wow!! He is so beautiful! :D I don't think I'd be able to let him go! I can't think of any name's, but I really like Edwina's Secretary's suggestion, Camouflage, or Camo for short. I think it suits him. Boy, he is darling. I can't get over him! :)

Kfamr
01-09-2003, 08:00 PM
Beautiful! Poor baby! What happened to him???

I like Camo.
Grande
Guapo
NELLY
Tristan [or tris for short]

AdoreMyDogs
01-09-2003, 08:22 PM
He looks like a Jeffery to me.

Karen
01-09-2003, 08:27 PM
He looks like melted ice cream -

Mudpie?
Chip? (Chocolate chip or chip off the old block)

or like

Granite - Grant - Stoney?
Clement (kinda like cement)
Or just plain old George the Granite Great Dane?

he's a beauty!

Crikit
01-09-2003, 10:06 PM
For some odd reason Ringo comes to mind when I look at the pic

ownerof3dogs
01-09-2003, 10:12 PM
I like the name "Camo" alot!

or

Captain
Sargent
General

Fuzzy317
01-10-2003, 06:33 AM
Those are great suggestions !! We haven't decided yet, so keep them coming :)

RubyMutt - He will be hard to let go, especially since we were told we would not have to pay his adoption fee (like we need more incouragement to keep him :eek: we were using that as one of the reasons not to keep him)

Kfamr - He got out of his yard somehow, and was hit by a car. Leg broken in 2 places, broken rib, punctured lung. His owner then didn't want to pay for getting well, so took him to vet to be put down :( , but the vet refused, and had him surrendered to a rescue group.

sandragonfly
01-10-2003, 06:48 AM
Camouflage...yeeks. "Camo"...Well...first few thoughts came: Meeko (it is! A friendly raccoon colored like yours in some disney movie)

Mera/Merra or Merrka (he's merrier to not be put down),

Cream (he have ice creams splats all over!)..Nuhh? Will help more after I'm under my eyelids! *ZZzzz*

Tanya&Fritz
01-10-2003, 07:38 AM
How about "Tiny"?

Swoozie
01-10-2003, 08:06 AM
Never had a "leg lifter" all squatters..hehehe. I've always liked the name Winston for a male dog. Like the name Morgan too..

micki76
01-10-2003, 02:41 PM
Looks like a Murphy to me! :D

Fuzzy317
01-10-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Swoozie
Never had a "leg lifter" all squatters..hehehe. I've always liked the name Winston for a male dog. Like the name Morgan too..

He is still young, with the cast on he had to squat. He may not have learned the other method. :D

Unfortunately, we had a cat for a short time (until she ran out the door and was gone) named Morgan.

Kfamr
01-10-2003, 04:54 PM
Speckled in spanish- Moteado :MoTEEAyDo?

Kfamr
01-10-2003, 04:55 PM
Sombra- shadow in spanish

Kfamr
01-10-2003, 04:58 PM
Dad says you should name chance or lucky.

Vi Co Bi
01-10-2003, 05:29 PM
Thank you so much for all the suggestions! Fuzzy and I really appreciate it! Keep 'em coming. I've been reading them off to DJ looking for a reaction - something that catches HIS fancy and ours.

I like Loki, but he wasn't a very nice diety (everything EXCEPT the evil part - mischief, trickery, pranks, jokes - sums DJ up perfectly).

When we first started this I tried to sell "ScratchMaster DJ Spex" and call him Spex for short. With the way he would throw his cast over his other leg, he had that "looking for the scratchboard" hip-hop, hardscrabble look to him. And, aren't all dogs "Scratch Masters"? maybe a different kind of "scratch"... Fuzzy didn't buy it. :(

Oh well... I'll keep reading them to DJ and hope something perks his ears.

Again, THANK YOU so much!

Cincy'sMom
01-10-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Fuzzy317

Kfamr - He got out of his yard somehow, and was hit by a car. Leg broken in 2 places, broken rib, punctured lung. His owner then didn't want to pay for getting well, so took him to vet to be put down :( , but the vet refused, and had him surrendered to a rescue group.

Kudos to the vet!

Fuzzy317
01-14-2003, 10:45 PM
Here are the suggestions so far:

Achilles, Adonis, Apollo, Aquilo, Arachne, Ares, Argo, Bailey, Baldur, Bast, Ben, Benjamin, Benny, Bones, Camouflage (Cammie or Camo for short), Captain, Centaur, Cerebus and DeeOGee was our first transport, Champ, Chance, Chip (as in Chocolate Chip or Chip off the old block), Chivez, Clement, Cream, Danny Joe (ie DJ), Elwood, Face, Fritz, Galahad, General, George the Granite Great Dane, GI Joe, Governor, Grande, Granite, Grant, Grub, Guapo, Hamilton, Harely, Harley, Jackson is our alpha cat, Jake is brother-in-laws dog, Jeffery, Loki is in the lead so far, Lucky, Max, Meeko, Mera/Merra, Merlin, Merrka, Milo, Morgan, Moteado (Spanish for Speckled), Mudpie, Murphy, Nelly, Nike, Niobe, Odin, Oliver, Otis, Ozzie, Raiden, Rembrandt (Remmie for short), Ringo, Sampson, Sargent, Shadow, Sombra (Spanish for Shadow), Stoney, Thor, Tiny, Travis, Tristan, Velcro, Winston, Zeus

We haven't picked a name yet, so let us know if you have others to suggest :)

Karen
01-14-2003, 11:02 PM
You're in Georgia, isn't that Stonewall Jackson territory? And as you already have a Jackson, Stonewall/Stoney!

Poodle&Labmix
01-15-2003, 04:12 AM
I like
G.I. Joe
Maximus
Romeo
Amor
Nike
I don't know, can't think of any others at the moment

delidog
01-15-2003, 06:13 AM
George!!!!!

sandragonfly
01-16-2003, 03:59 AM
More ideas...

Avery
Bruno
Cha-Cha
Dagmar
DanLea
Deuce
Frey
Datera
T.J.
Dakota
Bayleigh
Macali
South
Hank
Harlequin
Onion???
Remington
Chantilly
Maclayne

Well, good luck!

aly
01-16-2003, 11:08 AM
My friend has a great dane named Dane. Or how about Snickers? Camere (come here!!!) ? Skyler (Skye for short) ?