PDA

View Full Version : Cop kills family dog in front of family!

Pam
01-09-2003, 06:13 AM
I saw this interview two nights ago on Connie Chung. This family, traveling with their two dogs, was mistakenly pulled over. What happens next is just awful! Oh I hope this cop rots in you know where!!! I don't think there have been too many stories recently that have made me this mad!:mad: :mad: :mad: I saw the video last night on Connie Chung and the dog was wagging his tail, NOT attacking! :( :( :(

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/01/08/police.kill.dog/index.html

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-09-2003, 06:20 AM
Pam, Ann posted the article as well on the General board.

How horrible! Pretty sure nothing will happen to the officer. It makes my heart sink to picture him shotting Patton right infront of his family. Sick, sick sick!

Dixieland Dancer
01-09-2003, 08:45 AM
I read this earlier today and was totally appalled. An investigation is under way to find out why this happened.

I don't believe an investigation needs to be done. Sounded to me like the cop was on a power trip. The family had asked him to shut the door to the car so the dogs couldn't get loose. What was so hard about that? Instead the dog got out and ended up dead?? :confused: :mad:

K9karen
01-09-2003, 08:46 AM
This is the first I've heard about it and I debated reading the story, but I did and now I'm SO P'Oed and sad and depressed and angry I could just spit fire :mad: :mad: :( :( Aw, Geez...that poor family. My heart is just breaking for them. I feel like crying right in the middle of the office. :( :( I can feel their pain I hope the cop gets more than a slap on the wrist OMG!! sad, sad, sad

anna_66
01-09-2003, 09:37 AM
OMG:mad: :mad: That police officer had no right to shoot that dog like he did!!! He didn't even try to stop the dog, just shot him, that it...end of story. I can't even try to imagine how that family feels.
And to be arrested like that just becasue someone seen a wallet fall off the top of a car? Why would you think that anyone was being robbed or car jacked? Wouldn't they have "took" the wallet??? I think they are all a bunch of idiots:mad:

ramanth
01-09-2003, 09:37 AM
I cannot speak... I'm in total shock and anger at that officers STUPIDITY!!!

Adge Gibbs
01-09-2003, 09:38 AM
Karen, they have a video from the police cruiser. It's bad so it's up to you whether you watch it. The dog is smaller than mine and was wagging his tail. He wasn't aggressive and the cops would not listen to the family as they begged them to close the door so the dog wouldn't get out (they were on the side of a highway).

I watched the video and the people here at work flipped out. I'm glad the news zoomed in on the cop when the shot was fired as some of the reports said that the dog was decapiated from the shotgun blast at close range.

It's a shame because all of this went down on the first of the new year and the family, kids included, had to watch this happen and were handcuffed and could do nothing. A pat on the head and sorry about the incorrect stop and killing your dog isn't enough.

Sudilar
01-09-2003, 10:42 AM
I am crying my eyes out right now. How could he have done it. They would have had to shoot me for coming after them if they killed my dog......

RubyMutt
01-09-2003, 01:37 PM
That makes me sick to my stomach. How could someone be so heartless??? :mad: I hope justice is, in some way, brought to that police officer. He had no right to shoot that poor dog! :mad:

luckies4me
01-09-2003, 01:45 PM
I can't believe you have to pay money to see the money! :eek: :mad:

I saw the other, don't think I am going to pay money to see a cop shoot a dog. Once was enough for me. :(

primabella
01-09-2003, 02:43 PM
the officer killed a living being, he should definitly get pressed with charges. :mad: this is so sick and awful! :(:(

primabella
01-09-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
I can't believe you have to pay money to see the money! :eek: :mad:

pay money to see the money? :p

ramanth
01-09-2003, 02:49 PM
I shared this at another board I frequent and they are fuming.

They are writing the police station and mayor.

luckies4me
01-09-2003, 02:50 PM
We all should do that! How do you go about getting their adresses? Mind posting? I am sure there are a few people here who want a word with them, me included!:mad:

luckies4me
01-09-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by primabella

pay money to see the money? :p

oops! hehee:p

Kfamr
01-09-2003, 02:52 PM
WHAT A F-ING PIG! Damn that moron to hell.

primabella
01-09-2003, 02:53 PM
luckies- lol

i think its a great idea to write them a letter.

ramanth
01-09-2003, 03:16 PM
Here is the City's Website:

Cookevillie, TN (http://www.cookeville.com/news)

It's running slow because of the influx of mail I'm sure....
Cookeville Police Dept. (http://www.cookevillepolice.com/)

The Tennesseean Newpaper
http://www.tennessean.com/local/archives/03/01/27473390.shtml?Element_ID=27473390

aly
01-09-2003, 03:29 PM
I was trying to avoid all the places I saw this story and didn't want to read it. I was watching Inside Edition though and their first story was this case. I was shocked and horrified. Tehy showed the video and I'm still crying. Since I saw it on tv anyway, I went and read the article.

Those officers were all stupid. They could have shut the door. Why would they not? First the people say to shut the door THEN they say the dog is nice and the dog still gets killed? MY GOD! And shot in the head? Why not the foot or something else just to slow him down if he was so afraid a bouncing dog with a wagging tail was going to attack him. Stupid stupid stupid stupid idiot.

Kona & Oreo's mom
01-09-2003, 04:07 PM
I posted this in both threads on this topic, just so everyone has the information.

Quote from the CNN story: "The Tennessee Department of Safety, which oversees the Highway Patrol, has said an investigation is under way."

Here is the contact information for that department, if anyone is interested in conveying their expectations for a thorough investigation and prompt discipline of the Police officer:

Tennessee Department of Safety
1150 Foster Avenue
Nashville, TN 37249
e-mail: [email protected]
Commissioner's Office Phone: (615) 251-5216

Tennessee Highway Patrol
Col. Mark V. Fagan
1150 Foster Avenue
Nashville, TN 37249-1000
Phone: (615) 251-5175
Fax: (615) 532-1051

THP District Six Headquarters
Captain: Randy Hoover
P.O. Box 826
1291 Bunker Hill Rd
Cookeville, Tenn. 38501
Office: (931) 526-8496

The officer that did the shooting was a member of the Cookeville Police Department:

Chief of Police, Robert E Terry
Cookeville, Tennessee, Police Department
10 E Broad St
Cookeville, Tennessee 38503
(931)526-2125

Cisco's Mom
01-09-2003, 04:20 PM
Just too sad.:( :(

lovemyshiba
01-09-2003, 04:22 PM
That is absolutely sickening. I hope he is brought to justice in some way, but what really justifies the killing of a living being??
That poor family:(

Thanks for the addresses and info--I'll be working on my letters now.

Andie
01-09-2003, 06:48 PM
I read on the other thread that the dog is being called a pit bull by police (of course) so I'm so glad that there is tape proving that the animal wasn't attacking the cop which is the excuse he is using. He probably shot just because he thought it was a pit. Ugh, I hate stupid people. My thoughts and prayers are with this family.

AdoreMyDogs
01-09-2003, 07:38 PM
Beyond sickening. I could not watch the video...that's just more then my heart can take.

trisha0503
01-09-2003, 11:02 PM
I just saw the video and it really breaks my heart to see how that EVIL :mad: :mad: :mad: policeman shot that helpless dog... I'm so furious :mad: :mad:

Pam
01-10-2003, 06:42 AM
Good Morning America just interviewed the family and showed the video again. I am glad this is getting so much media coverage! MAY NO OTHER POLICE OFFICER EVER THINK OF DOING SUCH A THING AGAIN! The police said the dog barked at him. Big deal! The woman explained the different between a bark (basically a dog saying hello, and explained it could have any number of meanings) and a snarl or growl. She also explained dog body language. Obviously this man never owned a dog. Oh this is just too sad, but I do hope all of the coverage will help this to NEVER happen again. :mad: :mad:

Logan
01-10-2003, 08:01 AM
I saw them on the Today show this morning. I have to tell you that I cried with them. Bless their hearts, being pulled over and treated so badly themselves, then to witness this senseless shooting of their family pet. It is almost more than I can bear. :(

Andie
01-10-2003, 08:56 AM
Just saw the tape this morning (I flip between CBS and NBC so I don't know on which) I can't believe what I saw. I have a lump in my throat so bad I can't breathe, I'm trying my hardest not to break down sobbing. I am so ashamed of the human race right now. The worse part is the cop fired twice! :mad: :eek: Why on earth did he feel the need to fire a shotgun at this poor animal twice at close range. I think I'm going to be sick. My thoughts and prayers are with this family still.

Dixieland Dancer
01-10-2003, 02:21 PM
EVERYWHERE I go to see the video wants me to pay a subscription fee. Does anyone know of a place where I can see the video without paying for a subscription?

Fuzzy317
01-10-2003, 02:23 PM
on the other thread, they mentioned the TN governer will be on TV to talk about it at 4pm EST. Not sure what station.

Originally posted by mugsy
I would try CNN, Fox News. MSNBC,

Andie
01-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
EVERYWHERE I go to see the video wants me to pay a subscription fee. Does anyone know of a place where I can see the video without paying for a subscription?

Try here that's where I saw it (after the news this morning)

Dog Shooting (http://www.tennessean.com/local/archives/03/01/27473390.shtml?Element_ID=27473390)

Dixieland Dancer
01-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the link. I watched the video but could not make out if the dog was being aggressive or not. I still do not believe the dog needed to be shot to death.

The article said they found nothing wrong with the whole procedure and that the cop acted correctly. :mad: :confused: :mad: :confused: :mad: :confused:

wolflady
01-10-2003, 05:55 PM
Personally, I think this guy used unnecessary force. I would defninitely seek a lawsuit if I was a member of this family. I can't even imagine being pulled over for doing absolutely NOTHING, be treated like cr*p, then have my family pet killed. Even if the dog was aggressive...so what?? The family was being harassed, and IMHO even if the dog was being aggressive, it's because his family was in danger. However, I do not think the dog was aggressive, and didn't need to be shot. If this jack**s felt he HAD to shoot the dog, he could have just wounded it instead of outright killing it.
Whatever happened to cops carrying pepper spray? Just the fact that he's quick to get testy and defend himself (along with the people at the station) goes to show that he is an arrogant a***ole on a power trip, and he knows that he acted carelessly. He should be banned from carrying a weapon. This also goes to show that he treats suspects poorly. Not in a "innocent until proven guilty" sort of way. They could have listened to the people and closed the car doors so the dogs wouldn't get out. They tried to alert these guys more than once about the dogs. This is just rediculous!! This sort of thing makes me so :mad:!!! Ugh!!!... :mad: :mad:
I really feel sorry for that poor family. What a horrible way to begin the new year... :(

ownerof3dogs
01-10-2003, 07:05 PM
What I don't understand is why the cop had to shoot the dog. I mean all he had to do was spray the dog with mace or fire OVER the dogs head. That would have def. scarred the dog away. Or at worse he could have hit the dog with the gun(would have been better then killing the poor thing). I mean there were other way of dealing with the situation other then killing the dog!!!!

He seems too quick to fire a gun. If that was a person that was rushing up to him, would he shoot them too? probably!!!

turner
01-10-2003, 08:05 PM
I just can't beleive it....I just sent an e-mail to every person and every dept I could.

I hope the officer that did that and/or someone that knows them, reads the e-mails sent.

What a @$#%^%. Nothing will happen to him which is very sad. Our world doesn't value the lives of animals the way they value the lives of humans. To me a life is a life and that is it.

Andie
01-10-2003, 08:53 PM
Tenn. Gov. Apologizes Over Dog Shooting

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Gov. Don Sundquist said Friday he has apologized to the family whose dog was shot to death on New Year's Day by local law enforcement.

Sundquist, an avid dog lover, said the killing of the Smoaks' family dog made him and his wife Martha heartsick.

The pit bull-boxer, Patton, was shot when he bounded out of the car after Tennessee state troopers and Cookeville police pulled the family's vehicle over following erroneous reports of a robbery. James Smoak and his family had been returning to Saluda, N.C., from a vacation in Nashville.

"I have had multiple occasions to talk to Mr. Smoak and I have on more than one occasion told him how bad I feel about it," Sundquist said, who added he was "disappointed" and "outraged" over the shooting.

Another motorist had reported seeing money flying from the vehicle, and authorities feared there had been a robbery. The money — about $445 — came from Smoak's wallet, which he had mistakenly left on the car roof after pumping gas.

Source: Yahoo News - U.S. National - AP

Nomilynn
01-10-2003, 11:30 PM
the guy who helped Daisy? He's posted on his website about this too. I will copy and paste as his website is pretty vulgar.

From January 10, ehowa.com.

Split Second Decisions
I'm sure by now you've all heard about and been enraged by, the shooting of a family dog by police during a felony traffic stop. Ironically enough, my dog too was named "Patton" when I first adopted him, and I quicky decided it was stupid and changed it to "Ike". But, I digress.

I've received numerous emails in the past couple days with links to newspaper reports, and interviews, and of course requests that I step in and "do something" since we all know I'm The Man To Get Things Done, right? And do I shall.

First let's review what happened during the fateful day of January 1, 2003...

-Family stops for gas. and Dad forgets wallet on top of car.
-Family drives off.
-Good Samaritan sees wallet fall when car drives off.
-Samaritan calls police believing family may have been carjacked.
-Police pull over family in car, using felony stop procedures.
-All family members removed from car and placed in custody.
-Car doors left open.
-Officer approaches car and says, "Hey there's a dog in here."
-Family pleads for police to shut car.
-Police ignore family.
-Dog escapes.
-Dog takes a few steps towards officer with a shotgun.
-Dog's name changed from "Patton" to "Tupac".
-Family freaks.
-Nation freaks.

There I think that just about sums it up, eh?

And since we as a nation can't stand to see our best friend put down by the man, we're left kind of stunned and looking to find out just where the hell things went wrong. Who do we blame? Well, many people are calling for the badge, if not the head, of Officer Hall of the Cookeville police department, the one who fired the fatal shotgun blast. Some are even going so far as to say he acted criminally, and should be charged as such. Officer Hall reports that he fired in self defense to neutralize what he perceived to be an impending threat against the officers he was charged with protecting, according to felony traffic stop procedures.

And quite frankly, I believe him. That is to say, I believe that in that split second he had to make a decision, he believed the dog was a danger. Therefore making his actions stupid, but no, not criminal.

I think it takes a certain kind of person to be a cop (or a firefighter, EMT, or any other job that required split second decisions where you have to be right all the time). And I just don't think this guy is cut out to be a cop. I don't doubt that he believed he was in danger. But I can't figure out as to why he felt a dog that was clearly wagging it's tail was a danger. This is the same kind of decision that makes the news when a cop shoots a 6 year old child because he was pointing something in the cop's direction, only to find out afterwards it was a squirt gun. I believe that Officer Hall has clearly demonstrated a lack of ability when it comes to making accurate split second decisions, and that's a pretty dangerous shortfall when you're strapping lethal force to your hip every morning.

This situation was the combination of a series of tiny events. Dad forgot his wallet. Someone thought they saw a crime. A door was left open. The dog picked a bad time to hop out. And someone made a decision that turned out to be very wrong. The only catch is the person who made the decision, based upon the very nature of his job, is held to a higher standard than is the average Joe Public.

I don't think he's a bad guy. I don't think he hates animals. I don't think he's a criminal. I just think that he shouldn't be a cop and that needs to brought to the attention of those in charge down there, because Mr. Hall is like the majority of us who don't come through 10 times out of 10. Those that can, protect and serve. Those that can't, need to know when to shut up, sit down, and find a new profession because law enforcement is one where they can do more harm than good.

Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, it was a family pet and not a 6 year old who paid the price to make us face this man's shortcomings. Because I sure as hell don't want someone like this dumb s**t responding to a 911 call, kicking down my front door at 3am and making the decision whether or not to open fire in my darkened kitchen.

Of course that's my opinion, I could be wrong. But you can express your opinion to the officer directly if you want to. (***here he has a link to the officer's actual email address.. I don't know how Ernie does it, but he finds this stuff.. I don't want to post the email address myself but if you want to see what it is it's on ehowa.com***)

So there you have it.. another opinion.. I'd have to say I agree with some of this.. it's all extrememly sad :(

- there is also a link from Ernie's page to another opinion page that has an extensive address list for the higher-ups in TN.

tomkatzid
01-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Police Officer Defends Killing N.C. Family's Dog
Owner Says He Plans Legal Action

POSTED: 9:00 a.m. EST January 10, 2003

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- A Tennessee police officer who fatally shot a dog belonging to a North Carolina family said what happened is unfortunate but he did what he had to do.

James Smoak of Saluda, N.C., said he never wants to see this happen to someone else and he wants the officer to be punished.

He and his family were visiting Tennessee when authorities mistakenly pulled over his family and then fatally shot their dog, Patton, after he bounded from the car.

Smoak has seen a police videotape of the New Year's Day incident, and it enrages him.

The seafood salesman said he has been in contact with several attorneys and plans legal action.

Cookeville, Tenn., officer Eric Hall told a Nashville television station that with the knowledge he had at the time, he acted out of necessity.

Authorities mistakenly pulled over a car carrying the Smoak family on New Year's Day. It was believed that they may have been involved in a robbery. Police found out later they had not.

The dog -- a mixed breed pit bull and boxer -- was shot after it bounded from the car and ran toward Hall. He's been reassigned to administrative duties pending an independent review.

James Smoak said he wants Tennessee authorities punished. Brandon Smoak said to see Patton shot was horrible.

Hall has been reassigned to administrative duties pending an independent review, but a police internal investigation found that he did not use excessive force. The independent review is under way.

So they already reviewed it and said he did nothing wrong... How can that be? They have it on tape.

mugsy
01-11-2003, 02:10 AM
I talked to the idiot's boss and he defended the officer. Quite and interesting conversation. You ought to try calling and talking to him. Maybe after he has to field hundreds if not thousands of calls he might get a clue. Also, after talking to the governor's press secretary yesterday, the reason for the speech was to dissuade people from not visiting TN and spending their tourism money. Perhaps letting the right people (like the governor and head of tourism) that you won't be spending any time or money in their state until the officer is fired might get the job done. Also, he can say that he is outraged, etc, but the state police "investigated" and found nothing wrong with the stop.

Rachel
01-11-2003, 07:12 PM
I saw the video several times on the Today show. The dog jumped out of the car like anybody's family dog would jump out of a vehicle - to get out and see what was going on and what his family was doing since he was the only one left in the car. His tail was wagging happily. I was heart sick to think that this animal was killed in this manner. Either this officer knew nothing about dogs or he was a hot shot, shooting just because he could. This was a most upsetting incident. I am saddened for the family.

Andie
01-12-2003, 09:37 AM
Here is an online petition boycotting TN til we see some action!

PETITION (http://www.petitiononline.com/sisochi/petition.html)

ownerof3dogs
01-12-2003, 05:54 PM
I signed it!

todd
01-13-2003, 01:19 AM
I Signed it

LoudLou
01-13-2003, 01:52 AM
Signed it, too.

mugsy
01-13-2003, 08:28 AM
I signed once for me and once for Mike and I'm going to talk to some people here at school today and see if they will sign it....I want this man's badge...knowing full well that the "protect your own" syndrome is at work here and he'll be back on full duty soon if he isn't already.

anna_66
01-13-2003, 08:42 AM
And I also sent it to friends to sign

Tanya&Fritz
01-13-2003, 09:14 AM
I signed it and sent it to friends.

fosteraussie
01-13-2003, 12:53 PM
This entire situation is extremely unfortunate (understatement). Watching the video and hearing the alterations of the truth are very upsetting. I am not for the death threats that have been claimed to be made against the officer, but I am completely for his immediate dismissal from the police force. Many I know say “it is only a dog, I could understand your point if it was a human.” While, I too can respect their views, and I can very much sympathize with situations where an officer must make a judgment call and put an animal down to ensure safety of all parties, but this officer exhibited the use of excessive force. His actions demonstrated complete lack of judgment and a eagerness to use extreme measures, force which is a last resort. The point that scared me the most about the video is the thought that it could have very well been a human. As a middle schooler, I was taller than many adults. Imagine if a child of larger size was sleeping in the backseat….imagine s/he awoke scared and dashed from the car….this situation could very much look like an adult running from the law enforcement….imagine the a passenger who could not speak the English language or had special needs and would be unaware of the word “stay where you are and do not come closer”….imagine if the family on the side of the road had reached towards the door to shut it….would people in these situations be shot too?

Of course, people will say that those are hypothetical, but it could have very well happened…..after all, here is a family who simply lost a wallet on the side of the road handcuffed. It is scary to know that an individual with such privilege and responsibility can act so recklessly. I have great respect for the police, yet I also have zero tolerance for placing power into the hands of those who cannot use simple rational or who are too quick to use firepower with the intent to kill (not incapacitate) so quickly.

scarlett
01-13-2003, 02:38 PM
i signed it too

marylyn

turner
01-13-2003, 09:54 PM
Signed it

Adge Gibbs
01-16-2003, 09:44 AM
An internal police investigation said that the officer did nothing wrong (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030110/ap_on_re_us/dog_shot_2)

That is scary given this is the 3rd dog he's killed. It sounds to me like this officer should be made to take a step back in any police situation involving dogs.

OT - I am not happy about him receiving death threats either. He may be a hated man right now, but death threats are not cool.

Cinder & Smoke
01-16-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Adge Gibbs
... given this is the 3rd dog he's killed.

I haven't seen that mentioned in any of the articles I've read so far...

Can you advise where you learned this?

Adge Gibbs
01-16-2003, 11:36 AM
last two paragraphs. (http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_news/article/0,1406,KNS_347_1674341,00.html)

He was found not to have used excessive force in those two cases as well.

Cinder & Smoke
01-16-2003, 12:30 PM
Thanks, Adge!

We had not seen that write-up...
It puts a whole new twist on why the Felony Stop was ever made in the first place. :(

Anyone who's following this incident, take a look at the article Adge found - it's got some new information.

Dog Shooting article (Jan 15, 2003). (http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_news/article/0,1406,KNS_347_1674341,00.html)

As for Quick-Draw Hall...
I'd question the wisdom of letting him out in public
with even an *empty* Water Pistol :p ~
let alone a :eek: shotgun!

:mad:

Adge Gibbs
01-16-2003, 12:53 PM
No problem. We're having a pretty heated debate on this issue at the tech site I'm a subscriber to, so links are flying around like crazy there. It's been helping to piece all of this together.

As anything that wasn't reported before gets posted, I'll make sure it ends up here too.

Adrian