PDA

View Full Version : Name brand vs. Generic (food)

wolf_Q
01-09-2003, 02:41 AM
Yes, this IS a pointless post. I'm bored again..

What food items do you *insist* you get the name brand vs. generic? Ok maybe some of you always get the name brand...but hey, I'm poor, lol, I get whatever we get...I'm always trying to convince my Mom that sometimes the little extra is worth it for the taste!

Macaroni and Cheese...MUST be Kraft. :D

Ice Cream...the past 2 things of cheaper ice cream I bought (Meadow Gold Cookie Dough, Western Family Cookies n' Cream) were awful....I opened them and it looked like plain vanilla ice cream. Oh the horror!

Pickles. The cheap kind are always mushy and taste funny. Of course, I guess not many eat pickles as snacks like I do...mmm...baby dills....

Cereal. Actually, 90% of the time we get the generic stuff, but I still insist the real brand tastes better for most.

Miracle Whip...it must have that name written on the bottle, none other!

And there will be others I will name when I'm not tired.....actually, for the majority of grocery items I don't care at all if they are generic.

And the point of this was? Nope, sorry, there wasn't a point.

Kfamr
01-09-2003, 04:41 AM
Mac n cheese taste good no matter what. Pickles are always yummy...... Err i dunno what to add!

jenluckenbach
01-09-2003, 05:53 AM
Now here's a funny one:
I'll buy any generic, or any brand name I have a coupon for, for the most part it's "Whatever".........BUT........I WILL NOT buy generic cat food !!! go figure.:D

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-09-2003, 06:09 AM
jenluckenbach, I too will not buy generic anything for Drake. But will for Andrew and I.

I will buy anything generic provided that the Nutritional Facts are what I am looking for. If the generic is higher in Fat, Calories, and Sodium, then I will buy the real thing. Items I won't buy generic because I don't like the tast: mayonnaise and pickles.

joycenalex
01-09-2003, 06:43 AM
i've found the campbells cream of celery and cream of chicken tastes better then the store brands. kraft mac and cheese of course. generic soap powder is okay, generic kitty litter is fine for us, the cats seem to like it. never generic foods for my furry ones!:p , me maybe, them never!

Chinadoll
01-09-2003, 08:59 AM
Yep...HAS to be Miracle Whip :) I'll buy whatever is cheapest for catsup, regular mayo, bread, mac & cheese, soap powder etc... Come to think of it, I really don't buy name brand anything except for a few items Miracle Whip, Campbell's Soups, Bush's baked beans, KC Masterpiece barbque sauce, and has to be Green Giant cream corn(all the other kinds just have a different taste). Generic is great for my budget right now, but I never buy generic food for any of the critters. I check out all the nutrition labels for the pet foods....you'd think I'd do the same for myself!

Logan
01-09-2003, 10:14 AM
I don't know why, but I don't like to buy generic or store brand at the grocery store. Does that make me arrogant or something? :o I will buy store brand Ibuprophen and Tylenol and that's medicine!! LOL!! Go figure!!! I would never buy generic pet food.

My new husband is trying to work on me.........he likes to buy store brands and save the money. We'll see how far he gets........so far, no dice! :)

All Creatures Great And Small
01-09-2003, 10:19 AM
Hey, food! A subject with which I am WAY too familiar! :o :p I have to agree, generic ice cream is horrible. My daughter YLL is a pickle freak, and they have to be baby dills, and they have to be "Milwaukee" pickles, which is a name brand around here. She doesn't like the nice crispy Claussen ones - go figure. Miracle Whip - definitely. YLL used to be hung up on the Kraft Mac n Cheese, but now she's on a Velveeta shells and cheese thing. (I ate so much mac n cheese when I was a kid, I can't even look at it now.) Bread has to be Home Pride white butter top - the generic bread is too soft and spongy. I don't think I buy any generic foods, really, but I ALWAYS buy the generic for medicines or first aid type stuff. I buy generic shampoo for my husband, but for me, it's gotta be the fancy salon brands - I tried the generic versions but they honestly don't work as well, and they smell funky too. I buy them in the huge refill size, which saves money in the long run (price per oz.).

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-09-2003, 10:24 AM
Logan, that doesn't make you arrogant. I used to be the same way and Andrew was like Scott. Andrew worked hard enough and got me to change my shopping ways a bit.

Adge Gibbs
01-09-2003, 10:36 AM
Everything is name brand now. When I was at Penn State, I was a broke graphic design student and had to eat off brand or generic food.

There is nothing more gross that Puffed Wheat when you really want Sugar Smacks. My mind won't let me get the store brand stuff because I think I subconsciously convince myself that it tastes worse than the name brand stuff.

My dog on the other hand is strange. I started him on Eukanuba and when he decided he didn't like it, I went to Iams small bites and he loves it. He will only eat Alpo and Mighty Dog wet food, even when the more expensive ones are offered.

Nomilynn
01-09-2003, 11:49 AM
I will only buy Kraft Dinner, but it does something really funky to my blood sugars. The cheese mix makes them skyrocket, and to eat a regular size bowl of KD I have to take like 25 units of insulin. So I don't really eat it anymore

I will only buy Miracal Whip as well for salad dressing, and Best Foods for mayo. I think that's a hang up from my mom and dad! :p Also, for other salad dressings, I will only buy Hidden Valley for ranch and Kraft for other flavours. I would get the more expensive stuff because they are yummy, but I can't afford it. But store brand salad dressing is SO gross.

The best pickles are Bicks baby dills with garlic. While I was in Oregon I couldn't get them (don't sell that brand) and I really dislike the Vlasic and Klassen or whatever they are called. They have a weird taste. Then I had some pickles from Fred Meyer - just their store brand - that were SO GOOD!! I drove all the way out to Fred Meyer (over half hour away) just to buy more :) They were baby dills.

I refuse to buy Wonder Bread. I don't like the smell of it when the bag is first opened.. can't really explain that though! :p

As for cat food, I buy what they like. They get Iams because they like it, and the vet said it was fine. For their morning treats they get friskies, but it has to be the kind with chunks of meat with gravy or sauce. They don't like the ground up stuff :)

Oh I also don't like generic pop. I drink diet Pepsi. everything else tastes too watery (like diet coke) or like root beer (store brands) :)

sammi
01-09-2003, 12:59 PM
My mom was always a "Brand Name" person!!LOL
Some generic products are made by brand name places. It all depends on what it is - I have to have Jiff peanut butter! Example if I want canned corn for a veg at a meal I would want Green Giant Nibblets but if it was corn for a hot dish the store brand will do. I don't like store brand cereal either. But, I have found the generic Graham crackers are much better than the name brand! Werid huh? I try generic products and some are as good if not better than name brands and others are a waste of money. (sometimes the generic has more water added) Many times you are just paying for the name.

NoahsMommy
01-09-2003, 01:28 PM
Don't worry Logan...I'm a brand snob too! :D hee hee

I just brought this up (after seeing this thread) to a co-worker and we discussed this. She buys certain things like pain-relievers, baby formula, crackers and lunch meat.

The only thing that I buy that is the store brand are Von's granola bars. Everything else is a brand name....interesting. I have no idea why either...Actually, I WILL buy anything from Whole Foods (organic, healthy food store) with their store brand on it....I sure am strange! :)

NoahsMommy
01-09-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
Pickles. Of course, I guess not many eat pickles as snacks like I do...mmm...baby dills....

You aren't the only one! I LOVE dill pickes....the baby ones are the best, I agree.

Do you buy the ones that are refrigerated? Those always taste better to me for some reason.

Kfamr
01-09-2003, 01:55 PM
While sitting here eating a lunchable... i realized i ate a generic brand one once, it taste and smelt like bleach! Gross! Never again!

P.S. PICKLES ARE THE BEST! My aunt makes AWESOME dill pickles. Sour pickles are the best!!

Miss Meow
01-09-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
... P.S. PICKLES ARE THE BEST! My aunt makes AWESOME dill pickles. Sour pickles are the best!!

Is there any way you can get the recipe? I just love pickles! We buy Bick's, which are made in Mexico, but the label is written in Polish and French, go figure. My favourite baby dills have been taken off the market, ARGHHHHHHH!!!

jenluckenbach
01-09-2003, 04:09 PM
STOP IT.... now I am hungry and have to go out and by some pickles, Vlassic kosher dill, of course. (yes, I guess that is one of my prefferences)

Fuzzy317
01-09-2003, 04:12 PM
I am currently partial to Bread and Butter pickles.

Nomilynn
01-09-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow

Is there any way you can get the recipe? I just love pickles! We buy Bick's, which are made in Mexico, but the label is written in Polish and French, go figure.

Bicks are so good!!!! That's all I will eat. They also make really yummy sweet mix pickles. And I would also like the recipe. Also a recipe for pickled beets.. yummmmm :)

Bread and butter pickles are also very good.. I'm thinking I should go get a pickly snack..... ;) :D

babolaypo65
01-09-2003, 04:26 PM
for canned veggies: its gotta be le seur baby peas (no other brand, no generic).
gotta be de monte for lima beans (my favorite food)
mac and cheese must be kraft
cheapest on things like catsup but brand name on mustard
cheapest on sugar, but brand name on salt....

i buy a lot or organics and have preferred brands there too

but some things, such as adhesive bandages (hard not to call them band-aids) i buy whatever's cheapest.
same with q-tips (also a brand, i know) whatever's cheapest.
generic all the way on things like cold and sinus products (most are made by the same company)

generic on things like cleaning products, pine-sol-like-cleaner is fine with me.

but name brand on bathroom tissue.

wild isnt it?

AmberLee
01-09-2003, 04:43 PM
Hmmm, growing up we drank a lot of generic brand sodas, but I can't stand them now. Actually, I don't drink all that much soda compared to when we were growing up. One or two a day, typically. (Okay, for some people that's a lot of soda. :D)

And I agree. No generic cat food used here.

Logan
01-09-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy

You aren't the only one! I LOVE dill pickes....the baby ones are the best, I agree.

Do you buy the ones that are refrigerated? Those always taste better to me for some reason.

I am definitely a pickle snob!!! Refrigerated Claussen's Pickles!!! The only ones I will buy!!! :o

wolflady
01-09-2003, 06:09 PM
LOL LOL I've been chuckling at some of these posts! ;) I'm not too specific on name brands, and in fact...a lot of the store brands are just as good out here. Basically whatever is on sales is what I get.
I do have to have Kraft Mac N Cheese, though, because anything else tastes like cardboard. I too also need Miracle Whip light. A sandwich just isn't a sandwich without the great tase of miracle whip! LOL :p
Of course, the kitties are another matter. They get name brand everything :rolleyes:

Cookiebaker
01-09-2003, 06:36 PM
MMMMMMM Pickles!!!! Mark hates 'em and I love 'em!! The refrigerated kind are the best!!!

AmberLee
01-09-2003, 06:50 PM
I fell in love with pickled ginger slices on rice in Japanese restaurants... I'll have to give pickled mango a try, once I find it. :)

abbersmom
07-16-2005, 12:18 PM
lol...ok here goes...
hubbys insists all ketchup MUST be Heinz
milk must be Blue Bunny, unless it's chocolate, then it HAS to be Land O Lakes
Sliced cheese must be Kraft singles, unless it is sliced at a deli...
As for myself:
Oreos must be the real thing, no immitations
TV dinners must be Marie Calender or Swansons, absolutely NO banquet or generics...
Soups...we love Progresso...I don't mind store brand cream soups for cooking, but I don't think they're quite as good as campbells.
Gotta be Velveeta or cheese whiz, no generics there!
Hmmmm...that's all I cam think of right now...
Generics are fine for meds, tho!!

kittycats_delight
07-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Aside from Cat Food and Diet Pepsi almost everything is generic brands unless the brand names are on sale for cheaper than the generic. LOL I'm a cheapo what can I say. :p

Lady's Human
07-16-2005, 12:59 PM
A little secret on generics..........for the most part they are the same thing that's in the name brand packages with minor variations. I used to work for a bottling company, and would laugh whenever someone said that they'd only drink certain types of soda. With the exception of major Cola brands, (Coke, Pepsi and Dr Pepper, to name a few), most of the flavoring for soda comes from 2 or three flavor manufacturers, which leads to almost no difference between the products. After speaking to others in different food manufacturing plants, they do pretty much the same thing.

Funny how a marketing campaign can convince people that Brand A is better than brand B when they're the same thing in different packages.

cali
07-16-2005, 01:08 PM
I prefere the noname version of a lot of things lol we always buy the brand name cerials anyway so thats nothing I have to insist on. but mac and cheese MUST be either noname or Imperial, every other brand is discusting lol

Christiansmommy
07-16-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Logan
I am definitely a pickle snob!!! Refrigerated Claussen's Pickles!!! The only ones I will buy!!! :o

I agree with that one :)

I used to only buy name brand tuna, and then i read the store brand label and it was word for word exactly the same...and half the price...so i switched. I will buy some generic cereals. Canned soups, must be brand name. I used to buy whatever bread was onsale, but now only buy whole grain, wheat, etc...so no store brand there. Juice can be store brand, but not soda. Cleaners, like windex, must be name brand...the store brands don't quite do the job! I will buy store brand meds,like tylenol...same exact ingriedients...why spend the extra money. I am a smart shopper and take pride in it :) Hubby would break the bank if he went food shopping...but I take my time reading labels and saving where I can.

moosmom
07-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Aside from Cat Food and Diet Pepsi almost everything is generic brands unless the brand names are on sale for cheaper than the generic. LOL I'm a cheapo what can I say.

Michelle,

LOL, I'm the same way!! Because money is REEEEEAAL tight right now, I'll buy generic brands. If the name brand is cheaper (on sale and WITH a coupon) then I'll buy it.

I absolutely HAVE to have Heinz ketchup. The generic brands are always runny. Generic cereal is basically the same as the name brands. My daughter doesn't think so. But one time I bought "Fruit 'O's" which are generic, and put them in a Froot Loops box. She couldn't tell the difference.

Milk is another thing. I find that generic milk goes bad faster than Hood or Blue Bunny, so I buy the brand name stuff.

How about bathroom tissue?? I buy Scott Tissue unless they have a generic that is identical to it. It lasts longer.

Pam
07-16-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Logan

ME TOO!!!!!!!! Claussen pickles are the best. No doubt!! I actually don't buy generic when it comes to things that go into our bodies (food). I don't mind generic for paper products, etc. and things we don't actually ingest. It's just a matter of taste for the most part because I actually think the name brands usually taste better. Actually I am not consistent because I will buy generic Tylenol, etc. It works just as well. Maybe with me it is the *taste factor.* Gosh I just looked and this is an old thread resurrected! LOL!

MariaM
07-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Whatever. Lol I like the brand name better, usually, but we almost always have generic, usually "no name". For cereal, we never buy it, because it's so expensive. If there is a really good sale on it, we get it. So IF we have cereal, its usually name brand, but we don't have it much at all.

Kleenex. (tissues??) Lol we just buy the cheapest kleenex, but the Puffs kind is my favorite. We had Puffs in our classroom this year, and I was in heaven when I had a runny nose.

Other than that, its just whatever, lol.

QueenChyna
07-16-2005, 04:10 PM
I have to say, mac and cheese, i want it to be kraft, but we buy no name stuff al the time! omg the best kleenex are the Kleenex with lotion, they are so so so so so so soooooooo soft! that way i don't get nose hurties!

Suki Wingy
07-16-2005, 05:53 PM
I usually buy generic, but I have spent hours painstakingly researching dog food brands for NiƱo, and will settle for nother other than Royal Canin and maybe Iams if they are out (only because he is used to it)

G535
07-16-2005, 06:00 PM
Most stuff I buy is generic except cat food, baked beans, toilet paper and chocolate.

gemini9961
07-16-2005, 07:33 PM
My two main ones are Mac and Cheese, has to be Kraft!! Also, my ketchup has to be Heinz, I hate that Hunt's crap. That's the only 2 I can think of right now.

cali
07-16-2005, 08:46 PM
wow, I must be wierd lol most poeple here seem to think mac and cheese must be kraft an ketchup must be heinze.. lol I cant stand Kraft mac and cheese, so gross it makes me sick lol I dont like heinze ketchup either, tastes terrable to me. but no name mac n cheese and ketchup....yummy lol no name mac n cheese has given me food poisening twice and I still cant stay away, I love the stuff lol I am the only one? sheesh!

Giselle
07-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Hmm, what about drinks? When it comes to juice, there is no other brand than ODWALLA!!!!:D

Hate to say it, but I'll never eat anything generic unless it's going to be cooked.