PDA

View Full Version : Need some new games, toys, anything!

boscibo
01-09-2003, 12:49 AM
For Hanna. She is one of the smartest cats I have known, and she gets bored really easily. When she is bored, she gets into things - she knocks over the bathroom trash, climbs the walls - you get the picture. I have laser pointer, wand toys, mice, balls, cat furniture, 2 other cats to play with - she really has a bunch of stuff. But still she wants more.

Anyone know of anything that could keep her busy without me having to play with her constantly? Like something she can play with by herself?

I do spend a lot of time throwing things for her to fetch and waving the wands and dangly toys, but I have other animals that need attention too - I can't spend every second of the day keeping her occupied. When she gets into things she shouldn't be into, I feel guilty because I know she's bored.

wayne0214
01-09-2003, 04:12 AM
Generally, the "dangely-bird" toys keeps my pride busy. In fact, when I brought home their newest one, Fawn immediately recognized the tinkling bell and became aggressive, wanting to play with it. Chris cat also plays with the same toys even more so than Fawn. However Tiger is a different problem. She does get bored. I have developed a raport' with her, asking " show me what you want, Tiger". Then she will immediately get up and go to where she wants her desires met. Sometimes it is to the back door, then I know that she wants outside. And sometimes she goes to the 'frig. Then I know that she is hungry, and so on. However, the major problem that exists with her is that she relies on me to take care of her boredom, and this is expressed by her jumping on my shoulders. I havn't found a way to avoid this, being bored, and expecting me to take care of it for her.

................... wayne

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-09-2003, 09:32 AM
It's been a long time since I had a bored kitten on my hands, but I think she's just being normal. You could buy her all the toys in the world and she will still get into stuff that she shouldn't be. I think it's all the process of exploring their territory and making sure that it's all in-line - can't have that trash getting out of line now can we? ;) :)

boscibo
01-09-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
It's been a long time since I had a bored kitten on my hands, but I think she's just being normal. You could buy her all the toys in the world and she will still get into stuff that she shouldn't be. I think it's all the process of exploring their territory and making sure that it's all in-line - can't have that trash getting out of line now can we? ;) :)

Yeah, it probably has a lot to do with her age (about 7 months), but I still feel guilty. I still don't let her out to be with the dogs at all times, I only let her out for short periods of time, when I can supervise her fully. My 3 dogs are old, and she is too rowdy. I am afraid she will end up jumping on one of them while they sleep and get bitten. I know my dogs wouldn't hurt the cats on purpose, all 3 have been raised with cats and have been around cats their entire lives, but I have seen how much damage one dog bite can do to a cat. She still has the bedrooms, the cat room, our large front living room with big windows, and the bathroom for her playground. The other two cats have the run of the house, but I know they would never jump on the dogs, and they leave them alone when they are sleeping.

The dogs aren't allowed in that part of the house, they have plenty of room though too, including our big TV/computer/dining room, the kitchen and the basement. And they have a fenced yard. (just so people don't think they are getting the short end of the stick). Hanna always wants to come out and play, but I like to keep a close eye on her when she's out in that part of the house.

Vermontcat
01-09-2003, 11:55 AM
Maybe you can let nature entertain her when she is indoors. How about putting a birdfeeder up in front of one of the windows she has access to. You can attract birds and squirrels and she can watch them from the window and be less bored. I would just be careful about her getting too jumpy in the window and maybe ruining your curtains.

boscibo
01-09-2003, 02:24 PM
We do have bird feeders, but the squirrels eat the seed faster than I can fill it. Hmmm...maybe I should place the heated bird bath out in fron too. I don't have curtains, we're up on a hill so no one can see in anyway.

AmberLee
01-09-2003, 06:03 PM
My Sassy adored the cat toy called the Cat Dancer (tm) and now they have one that you attach to a solid object that the cat can play with solo.

Not sure if Hanna would like it, but it's worth a try...

Good luck!

Russian Blue
01-09-2003, 07:11 PM
I'll be checking back on this post since Nakita has become the same way....and she just turned 7 months old! She walks around almost sulking and looking at me while she 'chirps'. Maybe it's the 7 month itch? :D

I have given Nakita 'solo' toys and she ignores them. Or she will play with it for 2 minutes then walk away. Nakita's favourite toys were the free one's (ie: paper rolls, bottle caps) but she seems to have outgrown them!

I'm starting to ask the same question: What will keep my baby entertained without my involvement?!

:rolleyes:

Nomilynn
01-09-2003, 07:39 PM
Perhaps a refridgerator box with several flaps and holes would be entertaining. My kitties love a big box they can play in. Then you could attach toys to the box. :)

rbrowne222
01-17-2003, 05:36 PM
I sure would like to hear more ideas!! I have had cats since I was born. I now have my first tortie (easily bored by nature) and first inside-only cat. She would LOVE to go outside but my former cat Queenie was killed by dogs outside here two years ago and I just can't take the chance. Sonsy loves new toys...for 2 minutes. She loves for me to throw things for her to fetch...but she tires and comes back and wants me to throw something else! :confused:

smokey the elder
01-18-2003, 08:40 AM
My cats tend to go through phases with their toys. Bosun and Diamond are in "toy audit mode" where they've been playing with each toy for a few minutes. What a hoot!:D

BastetsMum
01-18-2003, 04:21 PM
I keep Bastet as a totally indoors cat. Some people think I am mad but I don't want her getting hurt in the outside world. She is an aby so boredom is a big issue.

Boxes with holes cut in them are great! She loves boxes and they keep her entertained. I also have a box as her *toy box* with a easily openable lid for her - what I do is put her toys in there (while she is watching) and she has to open the box to get them out.

I also grab things from the garden that are clean - new smelly things i call them - things like leaves (non toxic of course) and clean feathers make great toys. I scatter them around the house and in hidey holes - that are cat friendly and obvious.

Also i have a kitty ball that contains some dried food. They have to roll it to get the food out. Thats entertaining.

I also close one door at a time during the day so the room that she can't get into is *all new * for her. I then place kitty toys in there as well so when I open the door in the evening she thinks its a whole new adventure.

Hide the snack is a great one as well. Instead of feeding strictly from a bowl - hide little piles of food around.

Fish on a string - You tightly place a catnip ball or mousie on a string and hang it really high. Bastet loves that! When she gets bored with it I change the *worm*.

I have a few more if you need them but these are the most popular past times for bastet anyway.

DarwinIsMyLittleBuddie
01-22-2003, 09:16 PM
Darwin is a year old and also very demanding when it comes to affection and spending time with him. I have a few toys for him that I rotate i.e. he doesn't get to play with them all the time - just at special times. That doesn't give him a chance to get bored with them ... each day is a different toy and when he's done playing I sneak them away for another time and he seems to know these are a special treat.

I also find "home made" toys are great - cardboard boxes, wrapping paper tubes, plastic containers, tents with blankets, and the old standby - string (nothing he can swallow ofcourse) ... my cat really enjoys these (some are hits and some are misses ofcourse) and since these things are disposable you don't have to worry about the cost of new toys adding up while at the same time keeping your little guy entertained. He also seems to enjoy me telling him what a wonderful cat he is while I watch him playing.

Hope this helps?

wayne0214
01-24-2003, 05:39 AM
Darwin IMLB, welcome to pet talk. We hope you stay around to introduce yourself so we can get to know you better, and your furkids. It is great to have you aboard the Pet Talk forum.

.........wayne

rbrowne222
01-25-2003, 09:54 PM
:) I just had some good luck entertaining my Sonsy. She got a fishing pole (2-foot plastic pole, elestic thread attachment with a bell and feather on the end) for Christmas that she loved dearly, but she's gotten bored with it recently. I tried to get her to play with it tonight but no luck. In her toy box I found a little scrap of rabbit fur off of a long-demolished toy. I sewed it to the bell and feather on the end of the boring fishing pole. Well, the interest ZOOMED! She's worn out now! I swirl the fishing pole around for her and she zooms and dives and leaps for it, then drags it away like it's her quarry. Then she drags it back to me so I can swirl it for her again. Success! (for now...)

NoahsMommy
01-26-2003, 03:50 AM
Basil and Noel play with thier "Cat Dancer" for hours each day. She may enjoy this:
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20021010085439/www.drsfostersmith.com/images/products/large/p_cat_9367.jpg

Noah and Olivia LOVE catnip and will roll around for a while with these catnip cigars:
http://www.mamameow.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/007-004.gif

My best friend says her four cats LOVE these "Cat Sitter" videos:
http://www.mamameow.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/029-001.gif

Maybe Hanna will like some of these?

Russian Blue
01-26-2003, 03:11 PM
I have to go look for that Cat Dancer, that looks pretty entertaining!

;)

rbrowne222
01-26-2003, 05:40 PM
This seems to be the site...
http://www.countrysidevetsupply.com/catdancertoy.html

NoahsMommy
01-26-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Russian Blue
I have to go look for that Cat Dancer, that looks pretty entertaining!

;)

They sell them at PetSmart and Petco. Are they in Canada?

HayleyRosie
01-27-2003, 08:05 AM
Hayley loves the cat dancer. It was given to her by a friend of mine but you can buy it in almost any pet store here in Newfoundland. I have seen two different kinds. One that can stick to a door or wall and the other just has two cardboard ends.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-27-2003, 09:43 AM
Tubby loves the cat dancer too. He has never really played with any of the seemingly thousands of toys I've bought over the years - except for the cat dancer. But it's like someone else mentioned. He will get bored with it and not play with it anymore, so I'll put it away for awhile, and when I bring it out again he's all over it again.

It's so funny because Terry is always worried that Tubby is playing "too hard" and will hurt himself. He keeps reminding me how old Tubby is and how he can't play like a kitten anymore. :rolleyes: I just keep dangling the cat dancer and Tubby just keeps attacking it until he's tired. :p :D I figure Tubby knows when he's tired and when he's tire he'll stop. So there! :D

Peanut will play with it a little, but she mostly sits and watches it, then I get bored of trying to get her attention and we both forget about it.