PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with Bassett :(

Nomilynn
01-07-2003, 06:35 PM
Hi all. This problem is both heath and behaviour related, so I thought I would post it here. Last year when my grandma died Bassett was as traumatised as the rest of us, and she started peeing in the house. She has always done this - she has always peed on piles of clothes on the floor or in laundry baskets, however back then she started also peeing in boxes full of other belongings and much more frequently. I took her to the vet, and she was perscribed anti-depressants. She took them for about a month, and totally stopped messing in the house. She didn't even mess when I got Tilly.

When I got Nutmeg this last September, she peed in a box on the floor that I had put there for the cats to play in, but then stopped. It was her way of saying "Mom, this new kid is annoying" so I ignored it. However, in December she peed again in two boxes that had toys IN them (I ended up throwing away quite a few). I figured it had to do with my stress and anxiety about exams or something. While in the US for Christmas, she peed UNDER the Christmas tree on some of my parent's gifts. Luckily, some were washable and the pocketbook wasn't expensive and can be easily replaced. She also peed on a dog bed on the floor. The reason I know this is Bassett is because I have seen her do it before, and Tilly and Nutmeg both try to clean up after Bassett when she is done.

Today I noticed Tilly trying to cover a mess by the toys downstairs. I went to look and Bassett had peed IN the track of one of those blue round-a-bouts with the pink ball inside. The ball and the track was covered in dry urine. I bleached it all out and cleaned the carpet around the area, and now the toy is outside so some of the bleach smell can dissipate. I have to start giving Bassett antidepressants again, except that she refuses to pill. It takes AT LEAST three people to pill her, and the person in charge of opening her mouth has to wear gloves. I called the vet and am having her medication put into a liquid form that is flavoured, so that I can maybe just squirt it down her throat with less hassle. If that doesn't work, they can put it into a cream that I apply to the inside of her ear where there is no fur and it can absorb. I was warned that it is very expensive to have this done, but it's the only thing I can do. I can't have the cat peeing in the house all the time.

I've done everything I can think of to help her. I give her special one-on-one time, I defend her if the other two cats are bugging her. If these antidepressants don't work, I might have to have her put down. I really don't want to do that, but if I can't find a way to control this behaviour what else can I do? She is too attached to me to go live with someone else, and that's what makes this even harder. It is killing me to see her distressed in this way, and I don't know how to fix it. She is my "heart" cat - although I love all my girls more than anything Bassett and I have a real special bond. I'm using some of my tuition money to pay for this medication, and I sincerely hope it works so that I can help her feel better and stop the messing.

Anyway, if anyone has had experience with a problem like this, any advice would be appreciated. I have school tonight until pretty late, so if you have questions for me (like more details or something) I will get back to you when I get back from class. Please pray that this medication will work. I love Bassett so much and I am willing to do whatever it takes to keep her healthy. It makes me ill with stomach pains from the stress of her being upset.

Thanks for reading, and hopefully it will all work out.
Naomi

PS- the vet has ruled out a health problem; it is behaviour related. However, it's her mental health I'm concerned about.

AmberLee
01-07-2003, 07:03 PM
Wow.

Did you see the suggestions for giving cats medicine in the Cat Health area today? I'd forgotten about the stuff-the-cat-in-a-sleeve method until someone recommended it. Would this help you give her medicine?

Someone here talked about getting a councellor for their cat when they were having behavior problems. Unfortunately I don't remember details -- even if they were satisfied with the results. T-Touch Therapy, perhaps??? It was quite a while ago. Maybe these ramblings will remind someone of who/ what and they can give you more help.

Good luck!

sasvermont
01-07-2003, 07:14 PM
Don't panic. I have a friend who's cat is on the ear medication and over time, she has been able to reduce the dose to once a week, on the ear. The cat doesn't pee anywhere but does rip its fur out! Psycho cat I guess. Anyway, the un-pillable cat now has the cream put on its ear once a week and it runs like $20 a month or so. Not too bad. They did start out with many applications per week though. Then they weaned her to the one.

Good luck and keep us posted.

By the way, the Gabe was on meds for awhile, the ear kind. Not anymore though....

;)

hellostranger
01-07-2003, 09:11 PM
Oh poor Bassett (and poor Naomi). :( I don't have any good practical advice to offer - I wish I did - but I wanted you to know that I will be thinking of you and hoping that the ear medicine will help Bassett feel better.

Please let us know what happens. Laura

NoahsMommy
01-07-2003, 09:26 PM
I know its easy for me to say, but I encourage you to give it more time. Cats seem to settle down well after we have. Keep on giving her lots of loving and try to get back to how things were before grandma died (I'm sorry :( ) and before Nutmeg came to live with you.

The medication in a liquid form sounds great...maybe she'll take to that better and feel better.

Poor things, both of you. You'll be in my prayers...please keep us updated.

Nomilynn
01-07-2003, 11:00 PM
Well, some good news. The medicine is only $30 for two months worth, and I was able to pick from a variety of flavours, like fish, beef, chicken, etc. I chose chicken. I will pick it up tomorrow after I'm done at school. I was so afraid it would be more money! But $15 a month is totally do-able and worth it.

Thanks for the replies. It is so comforting to know I have friends all around the world who are there for me!

Thanks!!

Naomi

krazyaboutkatz
01-08-2003, 12:32 AM
Naomi, I sure hope that this medicine will help poor Bassett. My Pepper is also very bad about taking pills and I have to give him a liquid form of lactulose 2 times a day. I've found it very easy to give to him so hopefully it will be easy for you too. Good luck. :) Please keep us updated on her condition.

01-08-2003, 04:29 AM
Naomi , I am so sorry to hear about Bassett's problems ...! I hope that this new medicine will work !! It would be so hard to have to put a cat down , because of his behaviour ..!!
Oh pleez Bassett , do what mommy says . She loves ye soo much and me too , i think you are the cutest !!

Take care Naomi !!!

Cataholic
01-08-2003, 12:00 PM
Naomi,
I am so sorry to hear about Bassett, and the stresses that come with it. I hope the medicene works. Please keep working on it, I know you will. Sometimes, time does the trick. Keep us posted!
Johanna

jenluckenbach
01-08-2003, 02:07 PM
oh how I wish I had worlds of advice, but all I an offer are hopes and prayers. The very best of luck with the medication.

ChrisH
01-08-2003, 05:16 PM
I don`t know much about cats (I am still a learner) and so am sorry but I don`t have any advice for you. All I can do is echo what jenluckenbach wrote: "all I can offer are hopes and prayers". Good luck.

Chris

Nomilynn
01-08-2003, 08:36 PM
Thanks for all the nice replies. I just gave Bassett her first dose of medicine. She gagged and made a fuss but at least she didn't spit it out. Hopefully it will be as easy from now on as it was today. I try to squirt very fast so it's not a prolonged thing. Anyway, we'll see how it goes! Thanks again.

Vio&Juni
01-09-2003, 06:17 AM
I hope she gets well.
I would never think of putting her down! Let's hope she'll be a good girl and you won't even think of this.

Nomilynn
01-09-2003, 08:11 PM
I just gave Bassett her meds. Tonight she gagged worse and now she is drooling terribly. I'm sure it's just because of the taste but I hate to see her suffer that way. Plus, Nutmeg won't leave her alone, and that won't help. She keeps trying to bat at the string of drool coming from Bassett's mouth. It's pretty disgusting, actually. It made ME gag to clean up the drool piles. *sigh* Oh well.. I will keep everyone updated as time goes on :(

AmberLee
01-09-2003, 08:17 PM
Okay, I'm naive here, but that doesn't sound right to me. Could you check with your vet's office tomorrow and verify this is a normal response to this medicine. I'd hate to think it's an allergic reaction...

Nomilynn
01-09-2003, 08:26 PM
The vet did say that the taste would make her salivate, and when I told the vet about Bassett's reaction to the pill (it was the same - she drooled like crazy) she said it was normal. But I will call the vet tomorrow or stop in (I have to buy food) and ask about it.

krazyaboutkatz
01-09-2003, 08:52 PM
I know that when I would give my cats liquid antibiotics they would also drool and this was also normal. Good luck. :)

aly
01-10-2003, 02:06 AM
Hang in there Naomi! You're doing a great job taking care of your baby. I know your hard work will pay off soon.