PDA

View Full Version : Cat on the counter?

BrianHarvey
08-01-2020, 02:16 PM
I was talking to a friend the other day and we had a discussion on whether or not you should allow your cat on the kitchen counter. He allows his cat pretty much everything. But I personally think it's not a good idea from the hygiene point of view. What are your thoughts? pros & cons?

Karen
08-01-2020, 03:23 PM
I tell the cats "down" all the time, and they generally get down. And the older ones rarely get up there now.

Still before I use any counter surface, I wash it.

mon
08-01-2020, 04:00 PM
I agree with Karen, say "down" cat will jump down. Cats won't follow rules so it's pointless making them. Unless it's unsafe, like poison or boiling hot stuff.... they need to see what's up. That's 4 sure. I love cats.

Karen
08-01-2020, 04:13 PM
We also have a squirt gun - a couple of them - handy, as some cats need reinforcement. Do not use such methods near electronics, or course!

mon
08-01-2020, 09:45 PM
I was talking to a friend the other day and we had a discussion on whether or not you should allow your cat on the kitchen counter. He allows his cat pretty much everything. But I personally think it's not a good idea from the hygiene point of view. What are your thoughts? pros & cons?

I have always had cats and let them go wherever they please. I just wipe down and clean the cutting boards and counters every time I prepare food. It should be done anyway, even if cats aren't running amuck. If I'm tired or lazy I just cut stuff on a clean dish. ❤️

mon
08-01-2020, 09:47 PM
P.s. Do you really think cats don't do whatever they bloody please when you're not looking? really

Chatanuga
08-02-2020, 01:30 PM
Since I prepare my own food on the counters, I don't let my cats up on them. They also know that they aren't allowed up there because I've caught them on video up on the counter when I'm out of the room and perking up and jumping down when they hear me approaching. To deter them from getting up there when I'm not in the kitchen, I set a battery-operated motion alarm with a doorbell chime from Lowes up on the counter. They hear it go off and immediately jump to the floor, knowing that I'll be running in shortly after it goes off.

Kevin

BrianHarvey
08-02-2020, 02:05 PM
Since I prepare my own food on the counters, I don't let my cats up on them. They also know that they aren't allowed up there because I've caught them on video up on the counter when I'm out of the room and perking up and jumping down when they hear me approaching. To deter them from getting up there when I'm not in the kitchen, I set a battery-operated motion alarm with a doorbell chime from Lowes up on the counter. They hear it go off and immediately jump to the floor, knowing that I'll be running in shortly after it goes off.

Kevin

That's smart :D