PDA

View Full Version : The Best Buffalo - was "The Newest Baby"

Karen
06-10-2020, 09:14 PM
As promised in the other thread, we have a new baby at the farm is name is Bubalis Bugaloo Harbinger, and he is a baby Water Buffalo!

He was driven up from North Carolina in the back of our Honda CRV, at a few days shy of his two month birthday. His call name is simply Boo. He is being quarantined for two weeks, tries to nurse on my skirt, and is gonna be a big strong guy some day, and help clear vegetation from the brook and pond bankings, and someday sire babies.

The gosling are holding steady at 9 - we have only lost two of the 11 Winnie hatched, and the bigger they get - and they are growing sooo quickly - the less vulnerable they are.

tatsxxx11
06-11-2020, 06:30 AM
How precious!!!:love::love::love: Oh, that face!!!:D Welcome home, Bubalis Bugaloo Harbinger, a.k.a. Boo, most adorable 300 lb baby Water Buffalo ever!:cool: But at this rate, you really, really need to trade in that Honda CRV for a truck!:p

http://petoftheday.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=62653&d=1591841626

phesina
06-11-2020, 06:58 AM
AWWWWWwwwwwwwww!!! You're ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!! Just look at that sweet face!

Welcome HOME, Bubalis Bugaloo Harbinger, a.k.a. Boo! We're looking forward to seeing more great photos and learning all about you as you grow!!!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Queen of Poop
06-11-2020, 07:33 AM
He's a real cutie pie!:love:

Karen
06-11-2020, 10:59 AM
How precious!!!:love::love::love: Oh, that face!!!:D Welcome home, Bubalis Bugaloo Harbinger, a.k.a. Boo, most adorable 300 lb baby Water Buffalo ever!:cool: But at this rate, you really, really need to trade in that Honda CRV for a truck!:p

http://petoftheday.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=62653&d=1591841626

Hee hee - yeah, but I spend so much time, and travel so many miles, and pick-ups get awful gas mileage. Every one I looked at did. We have friends and neighbors with trucks we can usually borrow when necessary, and of course large animal vets do make barn calls around here!

cassiesmom
06-11-2020, 11:58 AM
Oh my goodness, hello, Boo, water buffalo! How did you wind up in North Carolina and end up making your way north, I wonder? I read on the National Geographic Web site that water buffaloes can grow as tall as 5 to 6 feet, and that they are powerful animals! I imagine you will be a good ambassador for your species, especially with the kids! I agree with my friend phesina: "We're looking forward to seeing more great photos and learning all about you as you grow!!!"

Felicia's Mom
06-11-2020, 12:00 PM
I hope to see more pictures as he grow up.

Karen
06-11-2020, 12:45 PM
Oh my goodness, hello, Boo, water buffalo! How did you wind up in North Carolina and end up making your way north, I wonder? I read on the National Geographic Web site that water buffaloes can grow as tall as 5 to 6 feet, and that they are powerful animals! I imagine you will be a good ambassador for your species, especially with the kids! I agree with my friend phesina: "We're looking forward to seeing more great photos and learning all about you as you grow!!!"

He was born to Fading D farms in North Carolina, friends of Kermit's - we almost got an older boy from them last fall, but weren't ready for him physically yet when winter hit. Kermit has had water buffalo here in Vermont before, and wants to eventually have enough to make buffalo mozzarella again, but that's years away! In the part of Africa some of Kermit's family is from, they are pretty common, and beloved, family members.

Vette
06-12-2020, 01:39 PM
Hes super cute :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-26-2020, 09:16 AM
Awwww that second picture is sooooo cute!! :love::love::love:
Congrats with your new "baby"!!

Karen
07-05-2020, 08:29 PM
Here's a recent picture of him - you can see how his horns are already growing!

http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=62709&d=1593998824

And here's the newest clutch, hatched by Trier, the brown (African) goose. They include one Chinese gosling, one duckling, and three gosling that are probably from her eggs!

http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=62708&d=1593998409

mon
07-05-2020, 08:33 PM
Cuter than anything, ever! Thank you!

phesina
07-05-2020, 09:14 PM
AWWWWwwwwwww!!! So beautiful, all of them.

Thanks, Karen! Loving good wishes to all.

mon
07-05-2020, 09:49 PM
I just saw Boo's baby picture for the first time just now. How could I have missed that me wonders 🙄😜 Cutest baby in the whole wide world!!

Karen
07-06-2020, 12:50 AM
I just saw Boo's baby picture for the first time just now. How could I have missed that me wonders  Cutest baby in the whole wide world!!

Pretty adorable, isn't he? And sooo sweet!

Karen
07-12-2020, 04:15 PM
Thought you folks might appreciate these pictures - Boo decided he wanted to play with Mulligan - fluffy kitty boy - about 8 1/2 months old. Mulligan was not terribly sure about the idea!

Vette
07-13-2020, 10:25 PM
Wow! Boo has grown quite a bit already :eek:
Mulligan is very brave to venture that close :D

Karen
07-13-2020, 10:58 PM
Yeah - Mulligan is pretty brave - but decided quickly that Boo was just too big and clumsy!

mon
07-14-2020, 12:13 AM
Aww, Mulligan is cute and smart! Boo is adorable 😄

Vette
07-14-2020, 01:18 AM
Yeah - Mulligan is pretty brave - but decided quickly that Boo was just too big and clumsy!

Smart kitty! :D

Pixie not all that scared of cows; she'll try an get them to play with her even. yet she is terrified of horses LOL

cassiesmom
07-26-2020, 01:16 AM
Karen, how is Boo doing? The pictures of him with kitty Mulligan are so cute!

Karen
07-27-2020, 11:11 AM
He is doing very well, growing so much, and will go swimming as long as Kermit goes with him!

Randi
07-27-2020, 12:22 PM
Loved the pictures of Mulligan and Boo. It looks like they will get closer and end up as friends, they just have to check each other out. :)

Karen
07-27-2020, 05:28 PM
Loved the pictures of Mulligan and Boo. It looks like they will get closer and end up as friends, they just have to check each other out. :)

Boo regular;y plays with the dogs, I think he identifies with them more. Mulligan is just too leery right now, but perhaps in time!

mon
07-28-2020, 02:56 AM
So jealous of your lovely, multi creature animal family 🖕🏿😜😻😂😎

Karen
07-28-2020, 01:57 PM
Aww, it's a lot of work, and a lot of feed, but sooo worth it.

Karen
08-10-2020, 07:52 PM
Here are some more recent photos ofBoo - he is growing so quickly!

He is still very sweet, and would very much like to be a house buffalo!

sleepgrazed
09-23-2020, 04:07 PM
Awwww, he is cute. How big is he now, any latest pic?

Karen
09-23-2020, 10:13 PM
I will have to get some newer pictures, he is growing every day it seems! He looks much the same, just bigger! :)

Vette
09-23-2020, 11:58 PM
LOL hes so sweet! https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/722505983548588057/758551575961796648/3835.gif

sleepgrazed
10-12-2020, 02:13 PM
He is really adorable, congratulations on your new baby

cassiesmom
10-26-2020, 11:04 PM
Karen, how is Boo the "wannabe house buffalo" doing? Is he still growing fast? :) What does he eat these days?

mon
10-26-2020, 11:39 PM
Ya, how is the darling Boo meister?? Killer cute I imagine.

Karen
10-27-2020, 11:27 AM
Hee hee - he is growing so fast! He is doing fabulously well. I need to get a picture of him next to something so you can tell how much bigger he is! He is getting so big, but is still very sweet. He has decided he likes our neighbors across the street right now - because he has not been able to be up here before, so there's nice sweet grass to graze, AND Miss Tammy just might give him cookies! (They adore him, right back. He was her incentive to take walks when she was recovering from knee replacement - "Walk the Boo!" because he moves at a stately pace when walked, and doesn't pull like her rescue Great Pyrenees does.

cassiesmom
11-17-2020, 04:36 PM
Karen, how is Boo handling cooler weather? I like that he is helping his friend with her walking! Go, Boo!

phesina
11-17-2020, 06:02 PM
Wonderful, Boo and your good friend Miss Tammy! How good that is, you're helping her with her post-knee-replacement walking. What a team you two make!

Carry on.. "Walk the Boo!"

Karen
11-18-2020, 12:43 AM
Thanks! It's hard to tell how big he is, but I will get something to scale with him. Here he is from a few days ago ... and one with him that shows Teddy the alpaca for an idea of scale!

He is inside this evening as he is now strong enough that tying him to a cast iron bench does not even slow him down when he wants to wander down the road, which we knew would happen eventually!

Karen
11-22-2020, 03:11 PM
From the other day - the baby is getting so big!

cassiesmom
11-22-2020, 11:23 PM
Well hi, Boo, cutest baby in the world! How big you are getting! I like that you have been helping your neighbor with her rehab! :D

Vette
11-24-2020, 03:51 PM
Aw! he keeps getting cuter as time goes on https://i.postimg.cc/P5Qp9M6R/3835.gif
does he eat the bark off the branches?

Karen
11-24-2020, 04:24 PM
Aw! he keeps getting cuter as time goes on https://i.postimg.cc/P5Qp9M6R/3835.gif
does he eat the bark off the branches?

No, he nibbles the dry grasses that grow between them, though!

Karen
02-05-2021, 01:19 PM
It was below zero last weekend, and Boo was cold, so we finally got him a winter coat! It is draft horse size, to suit his girth and length, even if it is a bit long right now, he is still a growing boy who thinks he would fit in your lap!

phesina
02-05-2021, 03:39 PM
Oh, that coat looks perfect!

Stay warm, Boo, and everyone!

Vette
02-11-2021, 12:05 PM
No, he nibbles the dry grasses that grow between them, though!

I was wondering cuz not long before i seen your picture with Boo standing along side the branches/downed trees i had watched a moose farm documentary where the moose would eat the bark off the trees that the farmers had cut for them

heres a link to it if you wish to see it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UZpOvnAL_M
its an hour an 30something minutes long an chalk full of information.

i was surprised to see they raise them an how friendly an smart they are. its similar to how cattle is raised but different at the sametime

also Boo is looking even more dapper in his new jacket!
an he finally grew into being able to wear a halter i see :D

Karen
02-11-2021, 12:57 PM
I was wondering cuz not long before i seen your picture with Boo standing along side the branches/downed trees i had watched a moose farm documentary where the moose would eat the bark off the trees that the farmers had cut for them

heres a link to it if you wish to see it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UZpOvnAL_M
its an hour an 30something minutes long an chalk full of information.

i was surprised to see they raise them an how friendly an smart they are. its similar to how cattle is raised but different at the sametime

also Boo is looking even more dapper in his new jacket!
an he finally grew into being able to wear a halter i see :D

Aww, thank you! And yes, he is getting accustomed to his halter - it's hard finding one that fits his head shape, but we manage!

cassiesmom
02-11-2021, 01:06 PM
I like Boo's overcoat! This has been such a cold and snowy month- a fellow needs an extra layer. (I'd be glad to sit down somewhere and make a lap for Boo)

Karen
02-11-2021, 07:06 PM
I like Boo's overcoat! This has been such a cold and snowy month- a fellow needs an extra layer. (I'd be glad to sit down somewhere and make a lap for Boo)

Only Boo's head would fit in your lap, or maybe two hooves, trust me! But he'd appreciate the attention anyway!

Vette
02-12-2021, 11:27 AM
Aww, thank you! And yes, he is getting accustomed to his halter - it's hard finding one that fits his head shape, but we manage!

I bet :D
i remember having to shop around for my miniature horse that i had as a kid. for starters everything i found was way too big for him until i finally found a feed store that sold halters in foal sizes an finally found one that fit

Karen
02-13-2021, 04:06 PM
I bet :D
i remember having to shop around for my miniature horse that i had as a kid. for starters everything i found was way too big for him until i finally found a feed store that sold halters in foal sizes an finally found one that fit

Yeah - his coat is way too long for him, but it fits him should to tail, and fits his girth, so the extra length just has to look silly. But it keeps him warm and that's what counts. And he is still growing, so this will fit for a while!

Vette
02-13-2021, 10:28 PM
Yeah - his coat is way too long for him, but it fits him should to tail, and fits his girth, so the extra length just has to look silly. But it keeps him warm and that's what counts. And he is still growing, so this will fit for a while!

At least ya found something that works :D

my mom made our own mini horse blanket by taking a old fleece blanket an sewing on a couple of straps into it to tie it on him. it worked pretty well for quite a while. then it got super dirty an i think she threw it away instead of wanting to mess with washing it LOL

cassiesmom
02-18-2021, 04:56 PM
How is your weather, Karen? I just heard on the news that we should be breaking freezing in Chicagoland over the weekend. But more wet and heavy snow on Sunday, unfortunately.

cassiesmom
11-11-2021, 01:39 PM
Hi, Boo the best buffalo! It's getting cold out in Chicago and I was thinking of these pictures of you in your winter coat :)

Karen
11-11-2021, 09:28 PM
Hi, Boo the best buffalo! It's getting cold out in Chicago and I was thinking of these pictures of you in your winter coat :)

Aww, he is a teenager now, we have not yet put his winter coat on him for the season, but will be. He is being teenager-ish and behaving badly sometimes, we are going to have to get him a nose ring, as he knows he is already too big for us to try to convince him of anything if he doesn't want to. It will be interesting to take new pictures in that coat and see the difference!

cassiesmom
11-13-2023, 02:54 PM
Karen, how is Boo the best buffalo?

Karen
11-17-2023, 10:32 PM
Karen, how is Boo the best buffalo?

He is good. Huge, sometimes naughty, but still a handsome and much loved boy, and thee object of lots of tourists staring gazes!

Vette
11-25-2023, 01:01 AM
sounds like someones done grown up! :D

looking at his baby pictures made me smile all over again