PDA

View Full Version : Television has gone down the tubes :(

moosmom
01-06-2003, 09:58 AM
Maybe it's just me, but lately television really sucks!

They have this new program where 20 buxom females are flown to Paris to be wined and dined by a hunky construction worker. The catch is the women all THINK he's a millionaire, having just inherited $50 million dollars (not really). The women won't find out about the hoax till the end of the show. I think it's called "Joe Millionaire", a reality program. Boy are THEY all in for a dose of reality.

How stupid is that??? I mean, come on, are those women THAT desperate that they would humiliate themselves on such a program. I'd rather be alone and happy than alone and feeling like an ass. Money isn't everything. I may be financially challenged but at least I have my pride.

What has tv come to these days??? Sad, sad, sad. Anyone have any comments?

jennifert
01-06-2003, 10:23 AM
I agree completely. As a single woman, I find this type of activity degrading and demeaning to all woman everywhere. Don't get me wrong, I would love a rich, kind, handsome man to fall madly nlove with me and vice versa but.....;) :D

Anyway, on another "bad TV" note, I keep seeing the commercials for the Fear Factor that will be on TV this evening and they show them eating something and then show horses in the background. I am repulsed by this. They had best not be eating anything horse! I will bombard them with letters and phone calls to get that show off the air. Completely unacceptable!! Although, I am sure there are lovers of some of the other animals they have eaten who feel the same way...I will not watch this show ever because of the eating part. It's cruel and disgusting to make a game show out of this type of behavior.

Randi
01-06-2003, 10:25 AM
I agree! It's amazing how some will humiliate themselves if they think they can get a few $$ - or just be seen on TV! The worst I've ever come across has to be Ricky Lake, it's really gross!! The poor people don't seen to have too many braincells to move around.

But I suppose there's quite a few of those programmes. From what the TV ratings show, there's obviously a lot of people watching these. :eek: Beyond my comprehension!! But then, the buyers will often have to get the whole packet with everything in it. Sad!

In Denmark, we're lucky though - most can recieve BBC, Discovery, National Geo, Animal Planet with many educating things on. :)

01-06-2003, 10:36 AM
I really HATE reality-programs ..:mad: . And why are these always in prime time:mad: :mad: !
My favorite channel is National Geographic Channel ! On our Belgian channels , I love programms with and about pets , documentaries , and good movies !
:)

Daisylover
01-06-2003, 10:52 AM
Reality TV is just awful!!! BUT the NICE thing it has done for me.....is that I spend more time with my bunnies and I am reading a lot of really good books!!!!!!

As far as cable goes, there is NO way I will pay to watch TV, esp when it's the same number of limited shows over and over and over and over...................... :D

Edwina's Secretary
01-06-2003, 11:06 AM
I find all these "reality-based" (that's not MY reality) shows almost too appalling for words. I am proud to say I never saw a single episode of Survivor, Bachelor, Fear Factor or any other.

I am ashamed that people in other countries now define Chicago by Jerry Springer. Never thought I'd say it...give me back Al Capone!

Logan
01-06-2003, 11:12 AM
I rarely watch television, so I am sheltered from these so called "reality" shows! Usually when someone starts talking about tv, I am saying "Haven't seen that one". My husband said the other day when I had just made that comment, "You do have to turn the tv on to see them, Logan". Hehehe!!!! Doesn't sound like I'm missing very much!!!! :D

NoahsMommy
01-06-2003, 12:36 PM
I'm right there with you.....although, "Joe" from Joe Millionaire was interviewed this morning on the radio station I listen to and he shed some light on what really happened...

Apparently, the 20 girls didn't know (when they signed up for the show) that he had money, they just figured he was well off, not a millionaire. He said it was hard having to lie to these girls, but that they all seemed to be after "his money" towards the end.

My hubby thinks the last show will be funny when its revealed to the girl who "wins" finds out he's worth $12,000 (he said this on the radio, he doesn't even make $19,000 a year)...

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-06-2003, 01:05 PM
I couldn't agree more. We don't have cable or satellite TV or anything like that at home. We did get Direct TV (satellite) in the motorhome so we can get some kind of TV when out of range of regular signals. Well, I have to say I'm sorely disappointed because even with 100 or so channels, there was still nothing to watch! And to think people pay good money for this!

lovemyshiba
01-06-2003, 01:17 PM
I agree--the so-called reality shows give me a headache. I also am proud to say I have never seen one episode of Fear Factor, the Bachelor, Survivor, Temptation Island, and I will not be watching the new ones either. They're doing the bachelorette now--come on!! The only "reality" series I do enjoy, is the Osbournes--that's funny.
About the horses on Fear Factor, I know they said what it is on the ad, but I can't remember exactly what it was, but I know it was disgusting.
All of these awful shows have got me watching more Animal Planet, TLC, and Discovery, though, so I guess it's ok.

NoahsMommy
01-06-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
All of these awful shows have got me watching more Animal Planet, TLC, and Discovery, though, so I guess it's ok.
We have started watching the Food Network, TLC and the History Channel. :)

Guess we'll at least LEARN something while we relax on the couch. ;)

sammi
01-06-2003, 02:04 PM
jennifert, I just saw the ad this am and thought the same as you with the horses! That is so sick.

I watch very little t.v. ( No time - on the internet LOL) but I almost get embarrassed by what fools some of the people make of themselves. Its bad enough what some do all the time but do they feel the need to tell everybody in the country about it - let alone show it?
:rolleyes:

moosmom
01-06-2003, 02:18 PM
I've started watching programs like Animal Planet, CSI and educational stuff. I love anything on forensics.

I think the tv execs should take a long hard look at the crap they're putting out. Reality Factor??? Like Sara pointed out, it's not HER reality, nor is it mine :P.

Whatever happened to cool shows like Dick VanDyke, My Three Sons, that kinda stuff.

Oh well...I guess I'll go bathe my cat when those DUMB programs come on. They are a waste of my time AND intelligence.

catland
01-06-2003, 02:53 PM
The networks are desparate. That's the only explanation that I can think of. I rarely watch anything the networks have to offer. I heard recently that cable now has a bigger market share than the old networks - serves them right for putting on such garbage.

Also, these "reality" are really cheap to put on compared to a lot of shows - which is probably the selling point.

The only networks with anything workwhile are the mini-networks with Enterprise and Buffy. (well, except for Fox with The Simpsons and Bernie Mac)

My favorite channels include SciFi, The Learning Channel and the History Channel.

Kfamr
01-06-2003, 03:08 PM
I barely watch TV unless it's Nelly, Animal Planet, or BET and MTV is ok when they have music videos on. I don't watch tv alot anyways

neko1
01-06-2003, 04:49 PM
Reality shows are horrible and those women on joe millionaire are shallow.

I prefer TLC and the home and garden channels where I can learn how to do crafty stuff.

popcornbird
01-06-2003, 05:37 PM
I don't watch TV for weeks, sometimes even months. TV nowadays is so stupid that I have totally lost interest in it. I prefer spending time with my family and pets and on the computer. TV's okay when you watch Animal Planet or nature programs. Cartoon's might be hilarious but they teach kids bad things. The news is all stuff you don't want to hear these days as well. Dramas are usually dumb and full of crying people. :rolleyes: Cooking programs are cool but that's only when I'm in a mood to cook. :rolleyes: The only programs I enjoy are animal/nature related programs or art programs. I rarely watch though. I like the Internet way better.

Pam
01-06-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
I find all these "reality-based" (that's not MY reality) shows almost too appalling for words. I am proud to say I never saw a single episode of Survivor, Bachelor, Fear Factor or any other.

I am glad I am not alone. I have thought that TV is a big waste for quite some time now. I find myself watching almost exclusively TLC, Animal Planet, CNN, MSNBC, Discovery, etc. with the exception of Everybody Loves Raymond on Monday nights. :) I think some of the medical programs on cable are absolutely fascinating and you can learn so much. It's a shame but some of the really terrific shows from the past are probably unknown to some younger Pet Talkers. I remember last New Year's Day I watched a marathon of The Honeymooners. Now that was entertainment! :) What I am wondering is who writes the junk that is on nowadays. Nearly everyone says they can't stand the quality of TV programming today, but yet they say they are giving people what they want. I don't think so! :confused:

All Creatures Great And Small
01-06-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Whatever happened to cool shows like Dick VanDyke, My Three Sons, that kinda stuff.Hey, another Dick Van Dyke fan! :D I loved that show when I was a kid, and I STILL will watch it if I happen to notice it when I'm surfing channels. Now that I have a computer, I'm on the Internet more than I watch TV, usually researching products I'm interested in, or looking up information, or BLABBING ON PET TALK ;) . I think the problem with TV nowadays is that it is entertainment for the masses, and most of the masses are WAY too easily entertained. We on Pet Talk must be a special group, because EVERYBODY I work with blabs on and on about those stupid shows, and in great detail, so you know they have watched every episode and totally buy into the hype. (In fact, Joe Millionaire is premiering right now, and I left the family room and came in here to check Pet Talk! :D )
I like mindless entertainment sometimes too, but usually something comedic, not humiliating and degrading to those involved. I noticed, too, that not one of those women on the commercials for Joe Millionaire looked just plain nice, sweet, or friendly, like someone you would want to meet and who would have good things to talk about. They all looked like overpainted, airheaded bimboes. I sincerely hope he doesn't pick ANY of them, and I hope the show gets such awful ratings that they won't make any more like it!

Nomilynn
01-06-2003, 08:42 PM
I guess I'm all alone here.. I like Survivor. I don't like those Bachelor/Bachelorette shows because I don't believe a relationship can be established within a month, and besides, with the main person kissing ALL 25 other options, how could s/he EVER be trusted!!! But I like Survivor. I find the way some people start trying to be boss and how some play this way or that way fascinating. I don't care about the games they play - I just find the relationships between the people so interesting.

Cincy'sMom
01-06-2003, 08:55 PM
I have to agree with everone else. All these reality serious are terrible! I rarely watch network TV, unless there is football, college basketball of NASCAR on. I do watch Friends, ER and CSI, but that is about it for series shoes at all. Otherwise I am watching TLC, Animal Planet, National Geographic, Foot Netwoork, Etc.

wolf_Q
01-06-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by sammi
jennifert, I just saw the ad this am and thought the same as you with the horses! That is so sick.

I heard that it was horse rectum.....mmmm tasty! :eek:

I think there are waaaaaaaay too many reality shows on. It's getting ridiculous. Ok, I'll admit it, I watch survivor...now, it's not something I'm going to die if I miss...but if it's on, I watch it.

My favorite shows are The Simpsons and CSI. Of course I think I should stop watching CSI so much....a few days ago I dreamed that Nebo dug up a dead body (skeleton)...:o ...in a campground...in Canada. lol.

If I had cable it would be turned to Animal Planet 24/7. I LOVE Animal Planet. I used to like MTV/VH1 but they mostly play crap now.

ramanth
01-07-2003, 11:43 AM
I'm not a fan of reality TV at all. One reason why I didn't want a TV when I got my own place.

Maybe I can call my cable company and just get the weather channel and Animal Planet installed. ;) :D

ramanth
01-07-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
I heard that it was horse rectum.....mmmm tasty! :eek:
What!??!?!?!?!! :eek: :mad: That show is not Fear Factor... it's DISGUSTING Factor!

My favorite shows are The Simpsons and CSI. Of course I think I should stop watching CSI so much....a few days ago I dreamed that Nebo dug up a dead body (skeleton)...:o ...in a campground...in Canada. lol.
LOL! You sound like me, Amy. I dream wierd things after watching movies and tv shows.

Cataholic
01-07-2003, 01:39 PM

I am ashamed that people in other countries now define Chicago by Jerry Springer. Never thought I'd say it...give me back Al Capone!

Dearest Edwina's Secretary.....
You do know where Jerry Springer got his start? Yup, Cincinnati. Way to go Cinti, eh?

Cataholic
01-07-2003, 01:41 PM
BUT- PBS, HGTV, and the show that plays tons and tons of Andy Griffith, Animal Planet, CNN....those are GREAT!

NoahsMommy
01-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
Of course I think I should stop watching CSI so much....a few days ago I dreamed that Nebo dug up a dead body (skeleton)...:o ...in a campground...in Canada. lol.

This is why I can't watch it anymore...I have horrible dreams every Thursday night if I watch CSI. That, and I seem to have developed a wild imagination after CSI....not good for someone that goes to school at night.

Edwina's Secretary
01-07-2003, 02:47 PM
You do know where Jerry Springer got his start? Yup, Cincinnati. Way to go Cinti, eh?

and isn't that where he wrote a personal check to a hooker?

Bright man....

mugsy
01-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Sara, I don't think anyone ever accused Springer of being overly bright. Now, don't forget, for many years, Fort Wayne's claim to fame was that the character Frank Burns from MASH was from here!! lol Now, at least, we can say that Shelley Long is from here (and Carole Lombard was from Fort Wayne also)

catland
01-07-2003, 03:01 PM
well, if its bragging rights that we're looking for....

this (the Portland metro area) is the home of Tonya Harding .......

top that!:D

Cataholic
01-07-2003, 03:12 PM

and isn't that where he wrote a personal check to a hooker?

Bright man....

You know, I just don't think it gets any better than that, does it?

moosmom
01-07-2003, 03:16 PM
Catland,

You actually want to BRAG about Tonya Harding????

Wolf_Q,

I have weird dreams whenever I eat spicy food before bed or just about anything before going to sleep. I document my dreams. When I showed them to my kid, she told me never to let anyone else know about them or I'd be locked up for sure :eek: Some of the dreams are pretty bizarre.

Logan
01-07-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by catland
well, if its bragging rights that we're looking for....

this (the Portland metro area) is the home of Tonya Harding .......

top that!:D

I know that was said "Tongue in Cheek", Catland!!! :o And I can imagine your disgust at living in the hometown of Tonya Harding!!!! LOL!!

I live in Greenville, SC.......as far as I know, we are only home to "Shoeless Joe Jackson" and "Jesse Jackson". I'll take "Shoeless Joe", anyday.

Logan

LoudLou
01-07-2003, 06:39 PM
;) Well, from what I've read today here on Pet Talk lovemyshiba has just bought a digital camcorder so perhaps we here on the boards can begin to change the TV programming world as we know it?;) :D

sammi
01-07-2003, 10:07 PM
Tonya said she was soooooo sorry.:D :D

lovemyshiba
01-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by LoudLou
;) Well, from what I've read today here on Pet Talk lovemyshiba has just bought a digital camcorder so perhaps we here on the boards can begin to change the TV programming world as we know it?;) :D

;) :D Sure!!

mugsy
01-07-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Maybe it's just me, but lately television really sucks!

Tell me about it Now that Monday night football is over All I have to watch is Wednessday night Hockey!:p :p :)

This is Slave. Mugsy has usurped my computer.

ramanth
01-08-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by mugsy
This is Slave. Mugsy has usurped my computer.
LOL!! The reign of Slave has fallen. ;) :D

Well MI has bred Madonna, Eminem, and Kid Rock. Yippie. :rolleyes:

Okay.. I like some of Madonna's music, but I'm not a huge fan.

Pam Anderson just bought a plot of land close to Andy's house. I have to make sure he doesn't stalk her... ;) *lol*

Cincy'sMom
01-08-2003, 03:45 PM
We have our "stars" here in Toledo too!!! Jamie Farr (MASH) and Katie Holmes are both from here. Is that exciting or what?
Ralph's cousin, Annie is starting to get some TV roles, although I don't even know if she uses her real name or not. She is (or was) on an episode of The Shield and is doing a Hallmark movie on Lifetime that airs on Father's Day. I think his aunt said she was at the end of the movei Pootie Tang (which I haven't seen)Also, if you have ever seen the Nextel commerical with Dennis Franz, buying soap in the fancy store for his daughter? Ralph's cousin is the voice, on the phone :)

mugsy
01-08-2003, 05:26 PM
This is mugs and if SOMEONE would FIX MY computer, I wouldn't have to usurp his!! lol

JAG and CSI are about the only 2 network shows I watch except for NFL football or MLB, but, alas, they are both in their offseasons (almost for football...we're down to 2 games per week now).

Donna....I just looked at the title of this thread again....is that a "no pun intended" with the "down the TUBES?!" lol

scarlett
01-08-2003, 08:19 PM
i may be young but enough is enough in those reality shows tv is flooding with those shows:rolleyes: now i didn't mind survivor when it first aired but then another and another and another came i'm like what are they doing to tv it used to be sitcoms which i enjoy i love ER and friends.in away survivor is kind of edutcational cause if for some reason you ever got stuck on an island you could think about survivor.but the rest of those show are stupid i mean who in their right mind would eat a bug or drink blood from a cow thats just cruel and gross:p anyway i agree television is ruined cause of those pointless reality shows wish there was something that could be done about it:mad: take care:)

marylyn

anna_66
01-08-2003, 08:27 PM
I like some of the reality shows, expecially Survivor. That's pretty much all there is on TV anymore. And I always have Jerry Springer on every morning (even though I'm usually on the computer). Guess I'm the only weirdo here:p