PDA

View Full Version : Do you pet dogs you don't know?

Ann
01-06-2003, 06:21 AM
Sometimes when you go into a grocery store you will see a dog sitting outside, waiting for her/his owner to return. I have been brought up with the golden rule of "don't pet a dog you don't know", but I really have problems with that sometime. Take last weekend for example, a black lab was sitting outside and when he saw me getting off my bike he started wagging his tail and gave me a big dog-smile. I just couldn't stop myself from petting him.

What's your thoughts on this? Is it reckless to pet a dog you know nothing about or is it rude even (I've heard some people get mad if they see you pet their dog without their permission)?

01-06-2003, 07:50 AM
Years ago , I would have answered "YES" !!!
But since I was attacked by a big German Shepherd , I am a bit more careful !! I was only riding my bike , and passed a driveway where a man was washing his car , in the company of his dog ..:(
All of a sudden , the dog came running after me , threw me of my bike , and bit me ... ! :mad: It is now 18 years ago , but the spot on my "behind" still hurts , and is NOT to be touched ...!

So even if the dog is looking great , be careful ! I LOVE doggies , but I will never pet them , unless their boss is there too and tells me it's okay to do so !:)

Dakota's Mommy
01-06-2003, 08:57 AM
It really depends! I usually try not to, but sometimes I just can't resist. I guess to me it depends on the dog and the situation!

Andie
01-06-2003, 10:23 AM
I'm sorta like Slave in the fact that I always pet strange dogs, even those that normally don't like strangers. I've always had this strange trait of being able to walk right up to any animal and know nothing is going to happen to me. :D Although that slight cockiness as my mother calls it has gotten my share of cat bites (I've got the scars on my wrist (strange cat) and hands (aunt's cat) to prove it) but I have never been biten by a strange dog. (knock on wood)

Grandma always shakes her head and ask how any animal can attack me after the cat bites. Oh well, guess cats aren't as receptive to my calmness as dogs are.

Glacier
01-06-2003, 10:30 AM
I do sometimes. If the owner is there, I always ask permission. I usually have a pocket full of doggy treats so I often get approached by loose dogs--which is part of why I keep treats on hand!

jennifert
01-06-2003, 10:44 AM
As the owner of a dog that is unpredictable around strangers, I should say I don't pet strange dogs but on occasion I do. Not often however. If the owner is there, I always ask though. In fact, it is irresponsible of the owner to leave a dog that may bite and/or has a history of biting unattended. I would never leave Duncan unattended in a public place because of this. Even when I let him out in a friend's yard to pee, I stay with him because I wouldn't want neighborhood kids coming to the fence to pet him and getting hurt.
Regarding the second part of the question, I do not like people petting Duncan without asking me first. He does wear his gentle leader in public and in crowds for more control and I keep him right next to me at all times. That in itself does deter some from petting him, thinking it's a muzzle. But occassionally children will casually run their hands over him as we walk and it's no big deal. I just hope the parents are telling their children after the fact to be more careful.

lovemyshiba
01-06-2003, 11:50 AM
I have a hard time resisting, but I always ask their owner when he or she is present. There is a couple who is always walking around town with a gorgeous husky, and they do not let anyone pet her. Since I have had Kito, and he can be somewhat unpredictable around strangers (especially men), I am a little more careful now. But I agree about the little dogs. My neighbor downstairs has a lhasa, and she is mean--she jumps and growls at us (especially when we have the dogs), and runs to the door and growls when anyone walks by.

jenluckenbach
01-06-2003, 12:20 PM
yes, I do, even if it can be the wrong thing to do. Having worked with dogs for MANY years, and they are all strangers to me when they first come to the shop, I can usually tell if I can pet or if I should back off. So with "gut instinct" I reach unless given a clue to stop. But to others, especially younger people or anyone with limited dog experience, be very cautious.

mugsy
01-06-2003, 01:24 PM
All the time, if they are willing to be petted. I'm just a sucker for poochies.

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-06-2003, 01:38 PM
If the dog is with its owner, then I ask for permision to pet it. I have petted dogs that I don't know before like when I find a stray that I am going to rescue. I can usually read their body language pretty well and know when to stay away!

Drake can sometimes be unpredicatable and thereofre always insist that people check with me furst before they pet him. If Drake is not approached in the right way, he will growl and can snap He has never bitten anyone before, but I do not leave him unattended!

Ann
01-06-2003, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Someone brought up a good point, I feel more calm around big dogs than small ones. I don't know if that's a prejudice without cause or what, but from my experience smaller dogs are much more common to bite.

SavaryGal
01-06-2003, 02:01 PM
hmmmm...

Dogs just on the street or in a park? I wouldn't pat them without caution - or an "owner" is nearby.

Dogs at the Vancouver SPCA where I volunteered for 3 years? Yes. Always.

I don't "know" either dog in both situations, but I think that the ones on the street are a tad off limits due to the fact that dogs can be unpredictable and there is no real way of determining if they are truly friendly towards a stranger.

Cincy'sMom
01-06-2003, 03:53 PM
I'm trying to get better about asking first, if the dog is with the owner. My girls loved to be petted and I never mind if someone pets them, but not every dog is that way. If the dog is alone. I approach it cautiously and see how it reacts. Usually I have treats with me and will try and offer something to warm the dog up.

ParNone
01-06-2003, 04:07 PM
I'm actually more wary of dogs, when they're with their owner
or in their terrority, because it's more likely to trigger off their
protective instinct. I've never feared walking up to a stray to
talk to it and pet it. Not too long ago, there was a stray
poodle/terrier mix eating a pork chop bone from my garbage.
Oh he was so cute. Looked like Murph with curls. I was afraid
he was going to choke on the pork chop so without thinking
I went up to him and took the pork chop bone from him,
explaining to him that I'd get him something better to eat.
Don't think he believed me. He growled, but he let me have it.
I went back to the garage to get some food for him, but in that
minute that I took my eyes off him, he was gone.

Oh and also I'd be more wary of a big dog than a small dog. Can't
imagine I'd even dream of taking a pork chop bone away from
a big dog that I didn't know.

Par...

Cookiebaker
01-06-2003, 05:19 PM
I think it kind of depends on whether they appear to be friendly or not. I always approach them cautiously (sp?) and let them sniff my hand first. If they tense at all, I will back away and leave them be. But if the owner is around, I feel a lot more comfortable approaching a strange dog.

jenluckenbach
01-06-2003, 06:47 PM
Yes, bigger dogs have bigger teeth and more power behind a bite, but calmer general personalities. Small dogs are just more high strung and nervous. And the smaller they are, the worse they can be. (notice I say "can be". It is not a written law, just a tendency)

Freckles
01-06-2003, 07:02 PM
No

primabella
01-06-2003, 07:14 PM
i don't, just because i'm not a very social person, to just walk up to a dog and start talking with the owner or something. if i was more like that, i'de probably wait until the owner gives me an "okay" on it. if its alone, i wouldn't risk it. lots of people have come up to mickey though, and i don't mind :)

Cataholic
01-07-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by primabella
i don't, just because i'm not a very social person, to just walk up to a dog and start talking with the owner or something. if i was more like that, i'de probably wait until the owner gives me an "okay" on it. if its alone, i wouldn't risk it. lots of people have come up to mickey though, and i don't mind :)

Primabella-
That is surprising to me, you seem so friendly and social...hmmm...maybe you are a little shy? I would run up to pet Mickey, after asking you first :D

I always pet dogs on the street. I have a pretty good feel from their body language as to their friendliness quotient. Usually, I can tell from the person walking the pooch if this is an ok situation. I don't think I would ever hesitate to pet a pooch left unattended at a store. For instance, at Starbucks on Sunday, there was perhaps the largest lab I have ever seen...easily 125 pounds...EASY...probably stood 28" high....and I approached. Course, with palm out first..and I didn't stick my face down at his level. And, his tail was a'waggin' from ten feet away! I figure we all need good touches, hugs, contact, pets included!

wolf_Q
01-07-2003, 10:39 AM
Yes and No.....when a dog comes into be groomed, I don't just pet the dog, I take it WITH me on a leash! lol. Dogs are very unpredictable......there's been many dogs go psycho on me, and it's scarey. Normally you can read the body language, and other times they don't give you any warning.

Now dogs with their people on the street, I'll ask if I can pet them...unless the dog is pulling on it's leash sniffing and licking me first lol. I appreciate when people ask if they can pet my dogs. Nebo is unpredictable around strangers...he loves some, and is terrified of others...and it does not help any if somebody just puts their hand on him and startles him.

Now stray/loose dogs.....I'll usually crouch down and call the dog to me. Sometimes it takes some effort, but usually I can get the dog to me and I'll pet it. If the dog is obviously not friendly, I'm not going to even attempt to go up to the dog.

p.s. I HATE it when people leave dogs tied up in front of stores...I don't care if the dog is friendly or not. It's not an intelligent thing to do.

Karen
01-07-2003, 12:44 PM
I always ask the owner if he or she is present. If there's no owner present, I pet the dog anyway. I always have, though some dogs I approach cautiously if they are giving "unfriendly" signals. But I convince them I'm okay, then pet them anyway!

I understand not everyone can, or should, approach strange dogs.

P.S. I have always talked to strangers, too. Probably drove my mother crazy when I was little, but I always have! And never gotten in trouble for it, either!

Logan
01-07-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Karen
I always ask the owner if he or she is present. If there's no owner present, I pet the dog anyway. I always have, though some dogs I approach cautiously if they are giving "unfriendly" signals. But I convince them I'm okay, then pet them anyway!

P.S. I have always talked to strangers, too. Probably drove my mother crazy when I was little, but I always have! And never gotten in trouble for it, either!

Karen, we are kindred spirits!!! I guess we knew that, huh? :) I do the same thing!!! :D

Kfamr
01-07-2003, 01:48 PM
First off, I think it's WRONG to leave your dog in a public place without someone you know watching it. Any moron could come up, feed your dog something, take the dog, or do something to the dog without you knowing! I don't approach the dog unless i know it, or it seems happy and friendly, otherwise i won't go near. I'm very cautious if i do go near, only staying far away reaching out with my hand... normally when i dog licks ya it's ok :D I don't think anyone would dare touch Simba if he was by himself.

jennifert
01-07-2003, 01:50 PM
This topic got me thinking.....I think that if I left Duncan outside a store and someone tried to pet him, he would be fine UNTIL I came OUT of the store which is when he may try to bite the person petting him. There would be no reason for him to bite unless I was there to protect.
Last winter, I remember my roommate telling me that Duncan had gotten out the front door. A girl walking by grabbed his collar and was holding him. When the roomie got close to get him, Duncan turned on the other girl and tried to bite her.

slleipnir
01-07-2003, 01:55 PM
First off, I think it's WRONG to leave your dog in a public place without someone you know watching it. Any moron could come up, feed your dog something, take the dog, or do something to the dog without you knowing!.
I agree with you KayAnn, I would, and never had left my dogs out somewhere. I remember a friend wanted me to once with Rufus, but I was so paranoid someone would take him or do something to him.

As for going up and patting one, I don't know if I would, I don't think I would..

Adge Gibbs
01-07-2003, 02:04 PM
I do, but I take it on a case by case basis. The only time I ran into an issue was with "Jenn and her angry orange dog". It's a shame she's known that way in town because Jenn is the nicest person you'll ever meet. Her dog just hates everyone and tried to attack Seven. He's kind of slow and thinks everything with other dogs is a game so he never gets weirded out by it.

I too keep treats on me. I've found that when we run on the trails in the woods, the dogs that we come across that are borderline tend to relax when offered a treat or take it and run off. No big either way.

I always worry when people approach Seven. He is perfect with women and children and with guys my height or shorter. The only time he gets antsy and barks is when a guy is taller than I am.

Jessica12345
01-07-2003, 02:15 PM
mmmmm......... well i used to pet any dogs, but once i was at a dog show and the lady gave me permission to pet her dog. she was like "oh he is so friendly!" So my friend reached out to pet him and her nearly bit her hand off! Me, thinking she did something wrong, put my hand out for him to sniff. He lurched forward off his leash and tried to grab my hand. I pulled it away as fast as i could but he still got my finger and gave me stiches.
Anyway.... even though that hapend, they are just to cute to resist! lol i do TRY not to though.

lynnestankard
01-07-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Karen

He he he Karen - that's me to a 'T' - both the dogs and talking to strangers!! As a toddler I was so painfully shy I used to hide my face on my Mum's lap! I think she was just so pleased when I 'came out of my shell'.

Lynne

primabella
01-07-2003, 03:12 PM
That is surprising to me, you seem so friendly and social...hmmm...maybe you are a little shy? I would run up to pet Mickey, after asking you first

and i would definilty let you pet him ;) i am a social person but not with strangers. especially since people around here can be such jerks! :mad: buuuut, it's all good :)

Aspen and Misty
01-07-2003, 05:56 PM
I would say you have to watch the dog and see how it responds. Some dogs love to be touched and some don't mind while others don't.

There is a an english Spanial at teh end of my street who is out every moring around 4 or 4:30. I have dog biscuits in my pocket because of Chewy so I always gave him two or three biscuits and continued on to the car, never pet him and usually threw them across the yard to him. Well just 2 days ago I came up to the yard proceed to the front door and then was attacked by a BIG old tongue with a doggie atached who wanted there doggie biscuit! LOL. I walked around the house to go to the car and the Lady said " You know he wakes me up every morning at 4 so he can be out here to get his buiscuits, I thought dogs hated the paper girl"?? LOL. It was funny. I feel bad the dog wakes her up.

I will pet most dogs, because most dogs around her are sweeties. But some are mean, but those ones let you know real quick and I always offer a hand to sniff before petting.

Ash

wolf_Q
01-08-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
First off, I think it's WRONG to leave your dog in a public place without someone you know watching it. Any moron could come up, feed your dog something, take the dog, or do something to the dog without you knowing! I don't approach the dog unless i know it, or it seems happy and friendly, otherwise i won't go near. I'm very cautious if i do go near, only staying far away reaching out with my hand... normally when i dog licks ya it's ok :D I don't think anyone would dare touch Simba if he was by himself.

AGREED! I don't like it when they just leave their dogs in the back of a truck and go into the store either. Well, I don't like people who let dogs ride in the back of a truck PERIOD.

I would never, ever, leave one of my dogs in a public place unattended.

bnormal
01-08-2003, 08:17 AM
This may sound odd but I am afraid of "strange" dogs...my wife can't believe it and she always tells me "don't show fear"...but for some reason I'm fearful of them...

so I usually don't pet other dogs

ellensy
01-08-2003, 10:49 AM
yes i do....... even if i know i shouldn't....:D