PDA

View Full Version : Oscar

Catty1
04-04-2020, 10:01 AM
Oscar rarely makes the health news, and at least this is minor, so far.

In the last couple of months I noticed he truly wanted to eat more often (as opposed to, "Mom, you're in the kitchen so it's food time for me! :D) and then last week his pee biscuits got a bit bigger. He's lost about .88 of a pound in the last year. He is not TOO thin but I have been giving him extra treats and second helpings to keep his weight from dropping too much.

I was thinking both thyroid and kidneys so I made an appointment for blood work to be done. I had to take him back a second time as they hadn't run the thyroid level.

Thyroid is normal, kidney values are slightly elevated. No protein in the urine, which is a very good sign! He can stay on the same food at this point.

He will be taking a supplement called Semintra. It supports the kidneys. At the age of 18, Oscar is doing well, I'd say. The off-ramp is down the highway but it's not in sight yet. I'll keep you posted.

For anyone interested here is a link to the supplement. It reduces the amount of protein the kidneys secrete in chronic kidney disease. It says "new"; that was 2014 in the U.S.

https://www.boehringer-ingelheim.ca/en/press-release/semintra-new-treatment-cats-chronic-kidney-disease-boehringer-ingelheim-canada-ltd

Karen
04-04-2020, 12:14 PM
Relatively good news, glad he is holding steady!

phesina
04-04-2020, 12:17 PM
That's good that you had Oscar checked out, Candace. I'm glad to hear he's doing well, considering age and all!

Sending loads of loving good wishes to Oscar and you all!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Felicia's Mom
04-04-2020, 12:40 PM
Glad Oscar is doing well. Sending lots of love.

Catty1
04-04-2020, 07:06 PM
I put his first dose in his food and he gobbled it up! :) He gets to stay on his regular food for now.

I'm trying to remember why cats with kidney troubles get hungry more often than usual?

Anyone?

cats4ever
04-04-2020, 07:07 PM
I am glad that Oscar's bloodwork was mostly normal. At least he doesn't have to eat the dreaded kidney diet yet. Most kitties hate it.
Keep on going, Oscar!:love:

cats4ever
04-04-2020, 08:03 PM
I put his first dose in his food and he gobbled it up! :) He gets to stay on his regular food for now.

I'm trying to remember why cats with kidney troubles get hungry more often than usual?

Anyone?

I am not sure, but my theory is that they eat well as long as their kidney disease is well managed. Once it advances, their appetite will decrease.

Catty1
04-05-2020, 11:00 AM
I don't know how fast the stuff works but Oscar didn't clean out his bowl this morning! He also didn't take a trip to the litter box and then come back to eat a bit more.

Anyway, he's a happy boy and I hope he sticks around for at least several more years. :love::love:

sleepgrazed
04-17-2020, 01:30 AM
Good work Oscar stays safe and well.

Queen of Poop
04-17-2020, 07:38 AM
Glad Oscar is continuing to do well. :love::love::love: