View Full Version : Covid-19 Observations

Karen
03-14-2020, 04:01 PM
How are you preparing? Are you panicked? Worried? Nonchalant?

I was at the grocery store late last night - I bet most of the people who bought all the turnips and parsnips won't even eat them, but many of the bins were empty in the produce department.

And there was no oregano on the shelves, though most other spices were in stock!

Your observations?

cats4ever
03-14-2020, 06:42 PM
Items not available anymore:
toilet paper, hand sanitizer and anything that's supposed to kill viruses, bottled water, some canned goods.
Pet food shelves are still fully stocked. That, to me, is weird.
I am not worried about getting sick, but about having to stay at home from work without pay.
Our schools are closed beginning Monday.

phesina
03-14-2020, 09:05 PM
I think I have everything we need, to hold us for a little while anyway.

This is all so weird and scary.

I'm fighting off a cold, I assume (hope) just the usual seasonal cold!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

david p
03-14-2020, 09:35 PM
Karen, Living in a nursing home, it hasn't been so bad. However, they're adding on more restrictions such as no visitors are allowed at all, and starting Monday we are going to eat our meals in shifts. Beyond that, I'm not sure, but I'm sure it's necessary. But I think there's too much hysteria connected to this virus, too.

Randi
03-15-2020, 09:54 AM
I’m not panicking, but worried. Covid-19 is spreading very quickly in Europe now. Italy has it worst, but other countries are close behind. Spain France and Germany are also hit hard. You can see the numbers here - scroll down:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

The measures our Government has taken on March 11th are extensive, there are press briefings every day from our Prime Minister on TV. In the evening of March 11, some people went crazy and emptied the shelves for canned food and toilet paper etc. in the supermarkets. The next day, I needed potatoes and sugar - all gone! Then Saturday, the borders were closed. Our Queen has also cancelled the celebration of her 80th Birthday in April.

Pupils and students at all educational institutions are sent home

All indoor cultural institutions, libraries, leisure facilities, etc. closes

All public servants who do not perform critical functions are sent home

Limited use of public transport

Restrictions on nursing home and hospital visits

Prohibition of gathering more than 100 people indoors

March 15th, the below has been put in place - not sure I agree with it, but apparently, a lot of new cases are expected.

“This week the health authorities' containment strategy has been replaced by a mitigation strategy. It means that the Danish Patient Safety Agency no longer detects and quarantines people who have been in contact with infected persons.”

People who are sent home from work will get compensation:

“The government is ready with an aid package for companies and employees. The aid package proposes that companies can receive salary compensation for up to 75 per cent. of employees' salaries - however, with a salary cap of DKK 23,000. Danish companies that are faced with firing at least 30%. or more than 50 employees may apply for salary compensation in order to retain employees. Hourly employees can receive pay compensation of up to 90 per cent. of the salary, but a maximum of DKK 26,000. The temporary compensation scheme will apply from March 9 to June 9, 2020.

For hourly workers: The salary compensation amounts to 90%, but a maximum of DKK 26,000 per month.

The employee does not have to be a full-time employee to receive compensation.”

Stay safe, everyone! :love:

Karen
03-15-2020, 06:55 PM
Well both my church service - which generally has less than 30 people at it - little country church - was cancelled today, and this evening the Ceramics Open Studio was cancelled.

Stay safe everyone!

As you may know, I now live in rural Vermont, small towns in the mountains. I was at the supermarket today, and the store was very busy, packed with many people from Connecticut and New York and Massachusetts, buying everything that was not nailed down pretty much.

We have bleach wipes in the car, and everywhere else, trying to stay as safe as possible when we go out.

Felicia's Mom
03-15-2020, 08:55 PM
I live in a care center and all food and supplies are provided.

Residents can't leave and visitors can't come in.

Freckles
03-15-2020, 10:24 PM
I live in an Independent Living Facility with 225 residents. Our central dining room has been closed. I always eat at home for breakfast. For lunch Sunday we could choose from three specials, then pick it up at the kitchen to take home to eat, or have it delivered to our apartment. Had a nice turkey dinner today. Turned in my order for tomorrow's lunch. so far so good. :)

Monday morning learned that dining room will be closed for 30 days

Tuesday, management is now delivering all meals.

Karen
03-16-2020, 04:34 PM
Crazy crazy day today, schools here will be closing, one lady had to Express Mail a key fob to Philadelphia because her office building will be closing and very few people have that fob and access.

cats4ever
03-16-2020, 05:19 PM
We offered our clients to stay in the car while attending to their pets' needs.
So far, nobody has taken us up on it.
After each client, we wipe down the benches and door handles in the exam rooms. We also disinfect around each other, all the counters, computers, keyboards etc.
There's talk about suspending all elective surgeries, like spays and neuters, to preserve supplies that could potentially be needed for hospitalized people.
It is all so surreal, and I hope for all of us that we will come out of this ok.

Felicia's Mom
03-17-2020, 12:57 PM
Starting Wednesday, where I live, residents will eat meals in their rooms.

Karen
03-17-2020, 06:53 PM
Yes, I just talked to Aunt Lyn, Paul's aunt technically, but she was widowed a little over a year ago, but she is in an assisted living facility, and now they are only allowed to eat their meals in their rooms. But she is wearing her shamrock socks, so celebrating St. Patrick's Day at least a little.

Randi
03-18-2020, 05:37 AM
The number of Covid-19 cases confirmed is 200,000
So right now, there are more than 200,000 people globally who have been tested positive for coronavirus. Just over 8,000 have lost their lives.

The situation in Denmark is that we have just over 1,000 confirmed cases of infection - four people have died.

Prohibition has come into force. At 10am today (March 18), more than ten people have been banned from gathering in public. This applies both indoors and outdoors. The government also calls for the same to happen in private homes. The prohibition does not apply when more than ten people are present in, for example, a shop, a supermarket or a train station. Public transportation and workplaces are also exempt from the ban. Restaurants, cafés, taverns, nightclubs, hairdressers and malls will be closed until March 30. In addition, all indoor sports and sports facilities must close. Grocery stores and pharmacies are not among the stores ordered temporarily closed, the prime minister said.

Crisis talk from the Queen. In a very unusual speech to the nation on Tuesday night, Queen Margrethe made an appeal to all Danes to think about and do their part to prevent the coronavirus from spreading unnecessarily. “Coronavirus is a dangerous guest. It spreads like rings in the water and it goes strong. A person can infect many, "she said. She called it" thoughtless "and" reckless "if you do not follow the advice of the authorities and, for example, still hold birthdays and gatherings." You can not know that, "she said. The queen also sent a thank you to the authorities and the health service and sent thoughts to the sick and relatives.

Dentists close for non-critical treatments. All the country's dentists will close for all non-critical treatments in the next three months. This is based on a new instruction from the National Board of Health.

Coughing Danes must test themselves. The Danish Serum Institute is working to create a more comprehensive picture of the degree of infection among Danes, who contact their doctor, but who are not considered to need help. From next week, selected doctors will probably be given the opportunity to test sick Danes with respiratory tract infections that do not require hospitalization. A relative can go down and get a test kit from the doctor, and the sick person can test himself.

Gender distribution of infected Danes: Men 65.5 percent, women 34.5 percent. So two out of three infected are men. Chinese research also shows that coronavirus strikes men harder than women.

Age distribution of infected Danes: 44.3 percent are aged 40-59. On Tuesday, March 17, there are 13 children under the age of 10 and 8 aged over 90 years. Over 220 infected men are aged 40-49.

Denmark's government told private companies struggling with drastic measures to curb the spread of coronavirus that it would cover 75% of employees' salaries if they promised not to cut staff.
During the three-month aid period that will last until June 9, the state offers to pay 75% of employees' salaries at a maximum of 23,000 Danish crowns ($ 3,418) per month, while companies pay the remaining 25%.
“If a big drop in activity, and production is halted, we understand the need to send home employees. But we ask you: fire them, ”Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen told a news conference on Sunday (March 15).
Employees will be required to take five days of mandatory vacation or time off from work, she added.

Take care, everyone!! http://petoftheday.com/smiles/PetTalk_heart.gif

Queen of Poop
03-18-2020, 08:43 AM
Everything in our Province is shutting down, with the exception of grocery stores, shopping malls and pharmacies. I was given a two month layoff notice on Monday, effective March 30th. Yesterday I was advised by my office tower admin that someone had come into work on the 5th floor and they were found to have the virus. My company has ordered all of the people in my office to work from home and self isolate for the next 14 days. We are on the 14th floor and share an elevator bank with the 5th floor. So, I'm at home with Cali and Diego for the next long while. Better safe than sorry I guess, since I have concerns about my immune system after my cancer treatment.

This virus is no joke. It's hitting seniors very hard. Please, everyone, follow the social distancing and hand wash protocols and stay safe.

Take care Everyone!

phesina
03-18-2020, 02:17 PM
I'm so sorry to read about your possible exposure, Gayle. That's good that you're home and Cali and Diego are taking excellent care of you. I join with mon in believing that you're just fine!

We're sending loving good wishes and prayers that you're doing great and that you and we all stay safe and healthy.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:
from Pat and Sparkler and Galaxy

mon
03-18-2020, 02:37 PM
Wishing you good luck Gayle, I choose to believe you are just fine🤞🏾 My dentist appt. was cancelled, only emergency dentistry appts. I had to Gorilla glue one of my caps back on. It worked really well. Everyone here in Surrey B.C. is very concerned. I only go out to shop, once a week. I also shop online. Warm wishes to everyone, be very mindful. Fv

mon
03-18-2020, 04:23 PM
They just postponed the Rolling Stones concert, we have tickets. I am so glad, we weren't going to go anyway so that would have been 200$ circling the drain.

cats4ever
03-18-2020, 06:33 PM
At work, we are out of Lysol wipes. Now we are making our own disinfectant wipes, with napkins soaking in a tub of disinfectant.
Business has slowed down, not as many clients are bringing their dogs for daycare, since lots of them work from home or aren't working at all.
If it continues to slow, we will get our hours cut.

Freckles
03-19-2020, 11:07 AM
Thank you so much for using the word Lysol. That reminded me that I do have 3 spray cans of Lysol Disinfectant spray that I can use now on my counters. :D

Randi
03-19-2020, 11:49 AM
A friend of mine sent me this, it sounds like good information. However, I believe there are differing opinions on whether face masks work or not.

Internal email for staff in St George’s Hospital
Virus Detection:
The simplest way to distinguish Coronavirus from a Common Cold is that the COVID-19 infection does not cause a cold nose or cough with cold, but it does create a dry and rough cough.
The virus is typically first installed in the throat causing inflammation and a feeling of dryness. This symptom can last between 3 and 4 days.
The virus typically then travels through the moisture present in the airways, goes down to the trachea and installs in the lungs, causing pneumonia that lasts about 5 or 6 days.
Pneumonia manifests with a high fever and difficulty breathing. The Common Cold is not accompanied, but there may be a choking sensation. In this case, the doctor should be called immediately.
Experts suggest doing this simple verification every morning: Breathe in deeply and hold your breath for 10 seconds. If this can be done without coughing, without difficulty, this shows that there is no fibrosis in the lungs, indicating the absence of infection. It is recommended to do this control every morning to help detect infection.

Prevention:
The virus hates heat and dies if it is exposed to temperatures greater than 80°F (27°C). Therefore hot drinks such as infusions, broths or simply hot water should be consumed abundantly during the day. These hot liquids kill the virus and are easy to ingest.
Avoid drinking ice water or drinks with ice cubes.
Ensure that your mouth and throat are always wet, never DRY. You should drink a sip of water at least every 15 minutes. WHY? Even when the virus enters water or other liquids through the mouth, it will get flushed through the oesophagus directly into the stomach where gastric acids destroy the virus. If there is not enough water, the virus can pass into the trachea and from there to the lungs, where it is very dangerous.
For those who can, sunbathe. The Sun's UV rays kill the virus and the vitamin D is good for you.
The Coronavirus has a large size (diameter of 400-500 nanometers) so face masks can stop it, no special face masks are needed in daily life.
If an infected person sneezes near us, stay 10 feet (3.3 meters) away to allow the virus fall to the ground and prevent it from falling on you.
When the virus is on hard surfaces, it survives about 12 hours, therefore when hard surfaces such as doors, appliances, railings, etc. are touched, hands should be washed thoroughly and/or disinfected with alcoholic gel
The virus can live nested in clothes and tissues between 6 and 12 hours. Common detergents can kill it. Things that cannot be washed should be exposed to the Sun and the virus will die.
The transmission of the virus usually occurs by direct infection, touching fabrics, tissues or materials on which the virus is present.
Washing your hands is essential.
The virus survives on our hands for only about 10 minutes. In that time many things can happen, rubbing the eyes, touching the nose or lips. This allows the virus to enter your throat. Therefore, for your good and the good of all, wash your hands very often and disinfect them.
You can gargle with disinfectant solutions (i.e. Listerine or Hydrogen Peroxide) that eliminate or minimize the amount of virus that can enter the throat. Doing so removes the virus before it goes down to the trachea and then to the lungs.
Disinfect things touched often: cellphone, keyboard, mouse, car steering wheel, door handles, etc

Karen
03-19-2020, 12:26 PM
Experts suggest doing this simple verification every morning: Breathe in deeply and hold your breath for 10 seconds. If this can be done without coughing, without difficulty, this shows that there is no fibrosis in the lungs, indicating the absence of infection. It is recommended to do this control every morning to help detect infection.

I heard a radio piece saying this is false, you can have an infection and still hold your breathe for ten seconds, so don;t rely on this.

And drinking water does not flush the virus from your system.

cats4ever
03-19-2020, 05:04 PM
I believe that the most accurate information comes from the CDC.
As of tomorrow, our hospital will only provide curbside service to pet owners. Our doors will be locked, the vet techs will go, in masks and gloves, to the car and bring the pet into the hospital for services. We will gather information at the car, and the reminder of communication will be done over the phone.

Vette
03-19-2020, 05:30 PM
Running into much of the same here with lots of empty fruit an vegetable bins
no toilet paper; baby wipes etc
no Tylenol; Aspirin etc
even the pet food an treats are sparsely stocked here. i already had to buy a 50pound bag of dog kibble cuz it was only bag left of her brand. normally i get her a 3.5pound bag that lasts her around 3months or so. on a positive note i am not going to have any worry about buying dog kibble for quite a while now LOL

crewmanvines
03-20-2020, 05:51 AM
I already bought some stuff in the grocery but disinfectants are out of stock, some basic necessities are out. A lot of people are panicking, I am just glad that the company I'm working in allowed us to work from home.

Karen
03-20-2020, 04:42 PM
I work for the Post Office, and yesterday helped a woman send a box of toilet paper to a friend in neighboring state where he could not buy any. I didn't work today, but my coworker said there were many packages more than normal - she did not say of what - that were mailed today. But we are continuing on, and so far are not sick. My brother-in-law in Boston thinks he has Covid, but is self-quaratining for now, figuring he is young enough to survive it, and healthy enough before it to not need to head to the hospital and use up resources others might need more,

Strange days indeed. But it IS spring, nonetheless - saw the first frog of the season, albeit a deceased one that one of our chickens caught and was trying to keep from the other birds.

Karen
03-20-2020, 06:00 PM
Our former help-exers, a young couple from France, are back home in France, and have been since the February fifth. They are on mandatory quarantine in France, not related to their travel. Paule, the young woman, is a data analyst, and interviewed with three companies via the Internet while she was here, and got two offers, including the internship she most wanted.

Her boss today, as they are all working from home, said, "To manage to work at home, you need a cat." We like this sentiment.

mon
03-21-2020, 01:13 AM
Life's getting weird. A lot of people in my family provide essential services and continue to work. Banks, Safeway, locksmiths, etc. No healthcare workers though, that's got to be stressful !!! Some of our family work from home, lots don't. No one has the virus so far. Just wishing everyone the best, hope you are doing all you can to stay safe and help your neighbor whenever possible. I would like to think we are all doing our best for our neighbors, just reaching out if we can help whenever possible. Sending everyone lots of love and best wishes. If anyone feels lonely or isolated please reach out and tell someone online. Maybe others feel that way and there can be a good communication between peeps who are feeling isolated 😍😄😷😘

mon
03-21-2020, 01:16 AM
My Mother in law can't visit, she lives in Zhiuataneo. She was planning on coming out in a few months.... 🤜🏻🤛 👍🏿😋😃😄😀😁😃😀😃😅😂🤣😅 Silver lining indeed!!

snakemama
03-21-2020, 01:21 AM
I'm in California, my county has been under a shelter in place order all week, the rest of the state just joined us. I've been able to get everything except eggs. My parents are in Thailand and had to cut their trip short to rush home.

I'm 31 weeks pregnant, so even though my boss has decided to stay open (Yes, vet clinics are considered essential services, but we're a veterinary DENTAL clinic) I have decided to stay home for the duration of the shelter in place order, and I will probably tell her next week that I'm not coming back at all. I was already planning to quit at the end of April so a few weeks early won't change much for me. Part of me wishes that this baby was already here so I could have someone to fuss over to distract me from everything that's going on. My most persistent fear right now is the rapidly changing hospital visitor policies. My friend who is due a few weeks before me just got an email saying that NOBODY is allowed into labor and delivery with her, including her husband.

mon
03-21-2020, 04:47 AM
You just stay strong an positive, sounds like you are 👍🏿. It is going to be just fine for you and your baby. Do you want someone in the delivery room that isn't allowed?

mon
03-21-2020, 04:51 AM
Oh ya, sorry. Rapidly changing hospital policies, what a concern. Hope it works out exactly how you want, 🌈🤞🏾

Vette
03-21-2020, 02:45 PM
A friend of mine sent me this, it sounds like good information. However, I believe there are differing opinions on whether face masks work or not.

Internal email for staff in St George’s Hospital
Virus Detection:
The simplest way to distinguish Coronavirus from a Common Cold is that the COVID-19 infection does not cause a cold nose or cough with cold, but it does create a dry and rough cough.
The virus is typically first installed in the throat causing inflammation and a feeling of dryness. This symptom can last between 3 and 4 days.
The virus typically then travels through the moisture present in the airways, goes down to the trachea and installs in the lungs, causing pneumonia that lasts about 5 or 6 days.
Pneumonia manifests with a high fever and difficulty breathing. The Common Cold is not accompanied, but there may be a choking sensation. In this case, the doctor should be called immediately.

Prevention:
The virus hates heat and dies if it is exposed to temperatures greater than 80°F (27°C). Therefore hot drinks such as infusions, broths or simply hot water should be consumed abundantly during the day. These hot liquids kill the virus and are easy to ingest.
Avoid drinking ice water or drinks with ice cubes.
Ensure that your mouth and throat are always wet, never DRY. You should drink a sip of water at least every 15 minutes. WHY? Even when the virus enters water or other liquids through the mouth, it will get flushed through the oesophagus directly into the stomach where gastric acids destroy the virus. If there is not enough water, the virus can pass into the trachea and from there to the lungs, where it is very dangerous.
For those who can, sunbathe. The Sun's UV rays kill the virus and the vitamin D is good for you.
The Coronavirus has a large size (diameter of 400-500 nanometers) so face masks can stop it, no special face masks are needed in daily life.
If an infected person sneezes near us, stay 10 feet (3.3 meters) away to allow the virus fall to the ground and prevent it from falling on you.
When the virus is on hard surfaces, it survives about 12 hours, therefore when hard surfaces such as doors, appliances, railings, etc. are touched, hands should be washed thoroughly and/or disinfected with alcoholic gel
The virus can live nested in clothes and tissues between 6 and 12 hours. Common detergents can kill it. Things that cannot be washed should be exposed to the Sun and the virus will die.
The transmission of the virus usually occurs by direct infection, touching fabrics, tissues or materials on which the virus is present.
Washing your hands is essential.
The virus survives on our hands for only about 10 minutes. In that time many things can happen, rubbing the eyes, touching the nose or lips. This allows the virus to enter your throat. Therefore, for your good and the good of all, wash your hands very often and disinfect them.
You can gargle with disinfectant solutions (i.e. Listerine or Hydrogen Peroxide) that eliminate or minimize the amount of virus that can enter the throat. Doing so removes the virus before it goes down to the trachea and then to the lungs.
Disinfect things touched often: cellphone, keyboard, mouse, car steering wheel, door handles, etc

Great list!

i love to add ice cubes to my glass of water. will not be doing that anymore anytime i am sick.

as for the etc part in the car make sure to wipe down the key/s too. my dad likes to grab the key from his pocket an as soon as he sets down he puts the key in the ignition before wiping anything down an totally forgets the keys along with the gear shift an turn signal knob. after reminding him however many times he does it by routine now :D

snakemama
03-21-2020, 07:32 PM
You just stay strong an positive, sounds like you are . It is going to be just fine for you and your baby. Do you want someone in the delivery room that isn't allowed?

Mostly I just hope my hospital is still allowing a support person in there. My plan was to have hubby with me and another friend swing by with sushi when I was ready for it. I can do without the sushi, but having my hubby in the delivery room via facetime or something is less than ideal. Two weeks ago it was one support person and one visitor, but so much has changed since then and with nine weeks until delivery I'm not going to scare myself trying to keep track of updates to the policy.

mon
03-22-2020, 02:38 AM
You are very smart not to concern yourself as they may change the protocol many times before the baby is born. The babe will be perfect and you'll be fine! 😍🤜🏻🤛👍🏿

Randi
03-22-2020, 06:00 AM
I'm sorry to say that the list I posted earlier is not quite true. Here are some links I trust more:

https://www.livescience.com/how-long-coronavirus-last-surfaces.html

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/debunking-myths-avoid-cure-coronavirus/story?id=69578209

Do take the restrictions seriously!

The link below is updated every day and shows the numbers of infected/deaths etc. for the whole world. If you click on USA, you can see how many cases in each State.

cats4ever
03-22-2020, 09:30 AM
I have to admit, amidst all the concerns, that I enjoy our curbside service at the vet hospital. Even though it is a lot of footwork, we don't have to deal with the clients as much. It's only us and the animals in the hospital.
Don't get me wrong, most of our clients are great, but there are always some that complain, don't have any money and nothing we do for them is ever appreciated.:(

cassiesmom
03-22-2020, 11:26 AM
Dear PT Friends, I hope you are able to get cat, dog and pet food and other needed supplies right now. Sending socially distanced HUGS.

cats4ever
03-22-2020, 01:26 PM
Thank you, Elyse!:love:
I got up at 6 am today to go to Walmart. They open at 7 am now ( no more 24 hr), and it was already busy. They limit toilet paper to one pack/ person. No more bottled water available. Pet food is still pretty well stocked.
I got what I needed.
I am worried about people starting to loot.

phesina
03-22-2020, 05:15 PM
Thank you, Elyse, and socially-distant HUGS and PURRRS back to you and to all our wonderful friends out there!

We're pretty well stocked up for the next few days. Lots of cat food and litter and frozen people-food.

Vette
03-22-2020, 07:15 PM
Yeah theres so much miss information out there but even still the wipe down list is good :D

if its possible its better to be there first thing as the store opens up. lots of stores are letting high risk people in to do their shoppings an hour before anyone thats not high risk an since the store just opened the picking on supplies is a bit better

Randi
03-24-2020, 02:13 PM
A Chinese teacher's reflections on Covid-19 and the lock down...

We are just finishing our 7th week of E-Learning, seven weeks of being mainly housebound and seven weeks of uncertainty. We are healthy, we are happy, and we are humbled.

We are allowed to move around freely now with a green QR code that we show when we get our temperature taken. You get your temperature taken everywhere, and it's just become part of the routine. Most restaurants and shopping centres are now open, and life is coming back to our city.

As we watch the rest of the world begin their time inside; here are some of my reflections on the last seven weeks:

1. Accept that you have no control over the situation. Let go of any thoughts of trying to plan too much for the next month or two. Things change so fast. Don't be angry and annoyed at the system. Anxiety goes down, and you make the best of the situation - whatever that might be for you. Accept that this is what it is and things will get easier.

2. Try not to listen to/read/watch too much media. It WILL drive you crazy. There is a thing as too much!

3. The sense of community I have felt during this time is incredible. I could choose who I wanted to spend my energy on - who I wanted to call, message and connect with and found the quality of my relationships has improved.

4. Appreciate this enforced downtime. When do you ever have time like this? I will miss it when we go back to the fast-paced speed of the 'real world'.

5. Time goes fast. I still haven't picked up the ukelele I planned to learn, and there are box set TV shows I haven't watched yet.

6. As a teacher, the relationships I have built with my students have only continued to grow. I have loved seeing how independent they are; filming themselves to respond to tasks while also learning essential life skills such as balance, risk-taking and problem-solving, that even we as adults are still learning.

7. You learn to appreciate the little things; sunshine through the window, flowers blossoming and being able to enjoy a coffee in a cafe.

To those just beginning this journey, You will get through it. Listen to what you are told, follow the rules and look out for each other. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

phesina
03-24-2020, 03:54 PM
Thank you, Randi. This is beautiful, and encouraging!

Good health and safety to you and all our friends,

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love: From Sparkler and Galaxy and Pat

Karen
03-26-2020, 04:49 PM
It was an extremely busy day here at the Post Office, and for the most part, my dear postal patrons were vigilant about maintaining social distance. I do have bleach wipes and hand sanitizer on the counter, and several people sanitized the door handle on their way out for the next person.

Many people were mailing packages - more than normal - so I was busy with postal matters even in my midday "off" time, though I did get to go home briefly and see the animals, pet the puppy and Dusky, and enjoy the sunshine.

I am also working the next two days, the woman who usually works Friday and Saturday is maintaining quarantine out of an abundance of caution, as she was in Washington State just as it broke out there, and her husband may have come down with Covid 3 days after they got home, and two weeks later she is symptomatic. She has not been tested, but many of the PO box holders and people who come in are elderly, so we agreed she should err on the side of caution.

Vermont is on a lock-down of sorts, people in nonessential businesses are only supposed to leave home for groceries, pharmacy, etc. Lots of businesses have closed for now - theoretically until April 15th. We will see.

snakemama
03-26-2020, 05:07 PM
I quit my job today. I was planning to work until the end of April, two weeks before my due date, but I just can't. Need to put the baby first. I miss my job and my coworkers and my patients.

Karen
03-26-2020, 05:14 PM
I quit my job today. I was planning to work until the end of April, two weeks before my due date, but I just can't. Need to put the baby first. I miss my job and my coworkers and my patients.

Absolutely understandable. You will be in our prayers.

mon
03-26-2020, 07:24 PM
My husband is a forklift mechanic so he doesn't have to have human contact and always wears a mask. I'm staying home but was wondering about the newspaper and fliers left at the door.... is that paranoia or common sense? Threw the top sheet of the newspaper away and washed my hands....🙈😜😜 should we not eat fresh vegetables, do cans have germs on them, I'm not sure, got so tired of all the television info, Trudeau and specifically Trump, he's a freaking chimpanzee, I stopped watching, maybe I shouldn't have. Sorry to the chimps.

snakemama
03-26-2020, 08:47 PM
My husband is a forklift mechanic so he doesn't have to have human contact and always wears a mask. I'm staying home but was wondering about the newspaper and fliers left at the door.... is that paranoia or common sense? Threw the top sheet of the newspaper away and washed my hands.... should we not eat fresh vegetables, do cans have germs on them, I'm not sure, got so tired of all the television info, Trudeau and specifically Trump, he's a freaking chimpanzee, I stopped watching, maybe I shouldn't have. Sorry to the chimps.

There is a virologist posting on another forum I belong to, she says that the risk of contamination from food is VERY low and as long as produce is getting a good rinse it should be fine. The virus can live on cardboard and paper-like surfaces for ~24 hours, so I'm letting packages and mail spend a night in the garage before I open them. Said virologist is emphatic that just because there is some detectable virus left on the packaging doesn't mean it's enough to cause infection so mail and packages should be just fine.

mon
03-26-2020, 11:04 PM
Thank you SO much!

Karen
03-26-2020, 11:44 PM
I work at the Post Office, and from my experience, most everyone handling your mail is wearing gloves these days, out of an abundance of caution. .

mon
03-27-2020, 10:52 PM
Good to know, thanks. Want to order some things from Amazon, just not sure if it's the best idea.

Karen
03-27-2020, 11:06 PM
Good to know, thanks. Want to order some things from Amazon, just not sure if it's the best idea.

Go ahead, and if is comes in Plastic, as much of what Amazon ships out does, spray it down with disinfectant though roughly before you open the plastic and you'll be fine, even if someone somewhere along the line was contagious. If it comes in cardboard of some sort, Covid only lives 24 hours on cardboard, so you could even let it sit on your porch of 24 hours to be sure! And sunlight is always good for killing viruses, and sunlight likely will hit it at some point in the day!

cats4ever
03-28-2020, 02:39 PM
Starting Monday 5pm. North Carolina will be under a "stay at home" order.
Veterinary hospitals are deemed essential, so I still have a job, which I'm grateful for. On the other hand, social distancing is not an option in a veterinary setting, which means that I am potentially exposed to sick people.:(
Maybe we all get lucky and we'll stay healthy.

phesina
03-28-2020, 04:23 PM
Loving good wishes, Heidi, that this works out and you and your colleagues stay well.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love: from Pat and Galaxy and Sparkler

snakemama
03-28-2020, 09:36 PM
Starting Monday 5pm. North Carolina will be under a "stay at home" order.
Veterinary hospitals are deemed essential, so I still have a job, which I'm grateful for. On the other hand, social distancing is not an option in a veterinary setting, which means that I am potentially exposed to sick people.:(
Maybe we all get lucky and we'll stay healthy.

The hospitals in my area are doing no humans in the hospital. The staff comes out and puts a slip leash on the pet and brings the pet inside. History is taken over the phone. No wellness visits, no vaccines and deworming, sick-pet visits only. All non-life-saving procedures are cancelled.

phesina
03-28-2020, 09:41 PM
My vet clinic is doing the same as yours, snakemama. I imagine others around here are, too.

cats4ever
03-29-2020, 08:00 AM
The hospitals in my area are doing no humans in the hospital. The staff comes out and puts a slip leash on the pet and brings the pet inside. History is taken over the phone. No wellness visits, no vaccines and deworming, sick-pet visits only. All non-life-saving procedures are cancelled.

Our hospital is doing the same thing.
What I meant with "social distancing is not possible " is that the techs and doctors work together at a very close distance, sometimes just a few inches from each other, since one holds the animal while the other one is examining it.

mon
03-29-2020, 07:50 PM
Awww, there are heroes amongst us, God bless 'em, each and every one. ❤️💕👍🏿🤜🏻🤛

phesina
03-29-2020, 09:03 PM
Our hospital is doing the same thing.
What I meant with "social distancing is not possible " is that the techs and doctors work together at a very close distance, sometimes just a few inches from each other, since one holds the animal while the other one is examining it.

I'd been wondering about that..

Loving good wishes that you all stay safe and healthy!

cats4ever
03-30-2020, 06:20 PM
I now carry a letter from my employer in my glove compartment, stating that I am an employee of an essential business so I have to be on the road.
That's in case that there will be any checkpoints.

phesina
03-30-2020, 07:56 PM
Cheers to you, Heidi, and all veterinary people! You're absolutely PRECIOUS.

All the best to you and your family, all species!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love: from Sparkler and Galaxy and Pat

Karen
03-30-2020, 10:45 PM
I now carry a letter from my employer in my glove compartment, stating that I am an employee of an essential business so I have to be on the road.
That's in case that there will be any checkpoints.

I have the same thing, in my purse. In this tiny town, I doubt I would get stopped, but better safe than sorry.

cats4ever
03-31-2020, 01:17 PM
Cheers to you, Heidi, and all veterinary people! You're absolutely PRECIOUS.

All the best to you and your family, all species!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love: from Sparkler and Galaxy and Pat

Thank you, Pat!:love:
I'm a little stressed about the close proximity to my co-workers, but there's nothing that can be done. Our manager suggested to stick with just one person for the day and use the same exam room, but it's just not possible. Each one of us will go with whoever needs help. In normal times, this sense of community is great.

mon
03-31-2020, 04:56 PM
Haven't been out in over 3 weeks. My husband works so he is out. Someone came over and bought something we had on sale, Craigslist I think. The interaction was too bloody funny. Standing far apart, the whole shebang was weird. Anyway... this can't last forever. I need to go out more, I'm white as a sheet.

mon
04-01-2020, 01:56 AM
I have an appt. on April 7 to get an X-ray and see how my bone graft is doing. It's at Jim Pattison Pavillion and I'm scared to go, I think I should cancel. I know I sound like a scaredy cat but I am hoping they will cancel the appt. for me as everyone is suppose to avoid public places. My husband thinks I should wear a mask and go. I'm scared, haven't left the house for at least 3 weeks and would it not be the worst place to go, a health Center where sick folks go? I know, bad idea. I'll cancel. I'm just a tad freaked. Sorry, just don't want to get a virus and potentially pass it on? I'm okay to tip off the raft whenever 😻😍😀👍🏿🤜🏻🤛 It's definately not a life or death sitchy, a mere x ray. Best to you all!! Would you do it?

snakemama
04-01-2020, 07:07 PM
I have an appt. on April 7 to get an X-ray and see how my bone graft is doing. It's at Jim Pattison Pavillion and I'm scared to go, I think I should cancel. I know I sound like a scaredy cat but I am hoping they will cancel the appt. for me as everyone is suppose to avoid public places. My husband thinks I should wear a mask and go. I'm scared, haven't left the house for at least 3 weeks and would it not be the worst place to go, a health Center where sick folks go? I know, bad idea. I'll cancel. I'm just a tad freaked. Sorry, just don't want to get a virus and potentially pass it on? I'm okay to tip off the raft whenever 卵亂 It's definately not a life or death sitchy, a mere x ray. Best to you all!! Would you do it?

I have a prenatal appointment on 4/9 and I'm considering asking if we can switch it to telephone. I think they will say that they need to get my BP though. I don't know what's best...

cats4ever
04-01-2020, 07:34 PM
I have a prenatal appointment on 4/9 and I'm considering asking if we can switch it to telephone. I think they will say that they need to get my BP though. I don't know what's best...

You could order a blood pressure monitor online. They're pretty compact and you can get one for around $ 20. And then you could do a telemedicine consult with your doctor.
My insurance started covering telemedicine because of the pandemic.

Karen
04-02-2020, 06:12 AM
I have an appt. on April 7 to get an X-ray and see how my bone graft is doing. It's at Jim Pattison Pavillion and I'm scared to go, I think I should cancel. I know I sound like a scaredy cat but I am hoping they will cancel the appt. for me as everyone is suppose to avoid public places. My husband thinks I should wear a mask and go. I'm scared, haven't left the house for at least 3 weeks and would it not be the worst place to go, a health Center where sick folks go? I know, bad idea. I'll cancel. I'm just a tad freaked. Sorry, just don't want to get a virus and potentially pass it on? I'm okay to tip off the raft whenever 卵亂 It's definately not a life or death sitchy, a mere x ray. Best to you all!! Would you do it?

You should call them. A friend had a similar appointment, and that had her go in a separate entrance, so she was nowhere near the Covid wards, or the Emergency department. They literally set up a separate entrance and procedures for "other" patients.

And if it is a "non-urgent" appointment, they may cancel it anyway, depending on the situation on the ground there. A call is definitely in order.

cats4ever
04-04-2020, 06:46 PM
A client made masks for us. I embellished mine with, what else, a cat.

mon
04-06-2020, 11:15 PM
You should call them. A friend had a similar appointment, and that had her go in a separate entrance, so she was nowhere near the Covid wards, or the Emergency department. They literally set up a separate entrance and procedures for "other" patients.

And if it is a "non-urgent" appointment, they may cancel it anyway, depending on the situation on the ground there. A call is definitely in order.

Thanks, great advice. I thought they would cancel it but that didn't happen. I thought I was fine but, I kept putting off cancelling it. I threw up this morning, I always do that when I'm freaked .... stupid, I know. Stress makes me vomit 😬 🤢🤤🙄 Then I thought they would charge me for the appt. because I didn't give 48 hrs. notice. They didn't care, my husband actually cancelled it for me because I refused to go 😜 He apparently said I had a cough and a fever so was not up for an X-ray and examination. 🤣😷🙊 Liar, liar, pants on fire 😻 He is definately hired as my secretary! He's easy on the eye as well 👍🏿 Normally I behave like a mature adult, ooooops. 🙈🙈🙈

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-08-2020, 03:22 PM
Here in Belgium the situation is very dramatic... !
I am so sorry that so many people get sick and die because of this dangerous Covid 19...
Everybody in our family is okay, I am very thankfull for that!
It's already 6 weeks ago since we last saw our grandson Alexander....
He is learning so much now....!I'm glad we have WhatsApp,
!nOur daughter sends us many homevideo's of him.
The last one was a 3 minutes long video showing Alexander while he was laughing and snickering almost all the time :):)
He is such a sweet ànd beautiful babyboy!! He wil be turning 10 months old on April 27th!
I hope I may see him again soon....

I would love to show some pictures of him, but for some unknown reason I cannot upload any pictures on PT anymore... (???)
Please go to my Facebook page "Lut Lobeau"
, where you will find tons of pictures :D:)

Since 2 weeks now, we are moved to our newbuild house! If you would like my new address, just ask , and I will send it by pm:):love:

Karen
04-08-2020, 04:38 PM
How nice you are in your new house! Congratulations! And we hope you will get to see that grand baby soon!

phesina
04-09-2020, 09:27 AM
That's wonderful, Lut, that you are in your new home now!

Happy 10-month birthday soon to your grandson Alexander! What fun for you to watch him grow, even if just by WhatsApp right now.

phesina
04-09-2020, 09:30 AM
Thanks, great advice. I thought they would cancel it but that didn't happen. I thought I was fine but, I kept putting off cancelling it. I threw up this morning, I always do that when I'm freaked .... stupid, I know. Stress makes me vomit  濫襤 Then I thought they would charge me for the appt. because I didn't give 48 hrs. notice. They didn't care, my husband actually cancelled it for me because I refused to go  He apparently said I had a cough and a fever so was not up for an X-ray and examination. 藍 Liar, liar, pants on fire  He is definately hired as my secretary! He's easy on the eye as well  Normally I behave like a mature adult, ooooops. 

I'm glad your husband was able to cancel the appointment for you!

fghoieks
04-10-2020, 04:47 PM
Is there anybody here who could help me with a private consultation? I tried to follow the step-by-step guide but failed. It seems to me that access is restricted from my area worldpostalcode.com/united-states/georgia/atlanta (https://worldpostalcode.com/united-states/georgia/atlanta). Can it be the case? Or what else can cause this issue? Please write to my private messages to discuss if you have a free hour this or next week. Thanks in advance.

Karen
04-10-2020, 06:45 PM
Is there anybody here who could help me with a private consultation? I tried to follow the step-by-step guide but failed. It seems to me that access is restricted from my area worldpostalcode.com/united-states/georgia/atlanta (https://worldpostalcode.com/united-states/georgia/atlanta). Can it be the case? Or what else can cause this issue? Please write to my private messages to discuss if you have a free hour this or next week. Thanks in advance.

A private consultation about what? And what step-by-step guide?

cats4ever
04-11-2020, 08:01 AM
You all have probably seen the reports how pet adoptions have been surging during the pandemic, partially through encouragement from shelters, to "ease" social distancing.
I kept wondering how this is possible when people are out of work and they don't have any money to spend.
In normal times, lots of people have no idea what the price tag is on taking proper care of a pet.
I am happy for all the dogs and cats being welcomed into new homes, and I hope their new families received proper counseling on what it takes for this lifelong commitment.
The following article might be helpful, even though I thought there were some exaggerated examples ( a Casper dog bed, really?)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/thinking-of-adopting-a-quarantine-pup-heres-how-much-real-people-spend-on-their-pets/ar-BB12sepH?ocid=spartandhp

Karen
04-11-2020, 05:46 PM
I am glad of the adoptions, and we all have no idea how long this will last. I would rather the animals be in long-term homes, rather than shelters at this time. Yes, there will be expenses down the road, but the situation now is so uncertain, why not choose love? If civilization collapses, at least you will have a non-human companion!

snakemama
04-11-2020, 07:15 PM
You all have probably seen the reports how pet adoptions have been surging during the pandemic, partially through encouragement from shelters, to "ease" social distancing.
I kept wondering how this is possible when people are out of work and they don't have any money to spend.
In normal times, lots of people have no idea what the price tag is on taking proper care of a pet.
I am happy for all the dogs and cats being welcomed into new homes, and I hope their new families received proper counseling on what it takes for this lifelong commitment.
The following article might be helpful, even though I thought there were some exaggerated examples ( a Casper dog bed, really?)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/thinking-of-adopting-a-quarantine-pup-heres-how-much-real-people-spend-on-their-pets/ar-BB12sepH?ocid=spartandhp

A LOT of people are opting to foster instead. My local shelter had to stop accepting foster applications while they process the 4,000 they have already received.

wolflady
04-13-2020, 01:49 PM
This situation has certainly brought out both the best and worst in people. I had a stroke at the end of 2014, so I've been struggling for a very long time since then with anxiety, panic attacks and crazy overwhelming emotions which I was just starting to get "under control". My dad died unexpectedly in Feb, right before this thing hit. That was a huge blow and I'm back to being in a very precarious mental state. I've noticed some people are understanding and supportive, while others become very antagonistic or passive aggressive. I even "cleaned up" my FB friend list as I just want to take better care of my mental health and don't need those unnecessary digs by others. I'm already struggling enough and life is too short to spend time on being upset by these people.

Some good observations:
People are willing to grocery shop for the elderly and immunco-compromised. I'm immuno-compromised since my stroke and a friend of mine did my grocery shopping for me which was lovely of her as she lives 40 minutes away.
Many are donating meals to the front line workers (like hospital staff)
I love how there are more kids playing outside and being active or creative. I've been seeing chalk mosaics drawn on driveways which is a nice find on walks! Sylvia did a small one on our back porch step. She wants to do the driveway one next.
A neighbor painted stones and placed them all along the street to find. Made for a fun walk of the 'hood!
People are putting up pictures drawn by their kids in a front window so you can see them as you walk the 'hood!

What else has everyone else observed in their community?

Karen
04-15-2020, 04:50 PM
This is a very rural area of Vermont, which is a pretty rural state anyway. But someone made wooden hearts and put them on sticks at the corner of my street and the bigger road, one of which says "April distance brings May existence" - there are two more that I don't remember.

It has been crazy busy here at my job at the Post Office - many, many, many more packages are being sent out, and received these days. And did folks know you can go to Hallmark.com/CareEnough and get three free cards and envelopes to mail out to loved ones? Nice, right?

wolflady
04-16-2020, 08:51 AM
...And did folks know you can go to Hallmark.com/CareEnough and get three free cards and envelopes to mail out to loved ones? Nice, right?

No, I didn't know that! Very cool! *goes to look*

Randi
04-16-2020, 09:08 AM
The Corona crisis does indeed bring out the best, and sometimes the worst in people. Some of the worst things was that people started hoarding the very same evenig our Prime Minister announced the lock-down from the next day, but that soon stopped and there has no shortage of food - or toilet paper.

Some children drew some colourful paintings in the street, saying “ It will all be good again” My upstairs neighbours put two banner on they balcony, urging people to show solidarity with the less fortunate, and my friend in London came out one morning where someone had put three baskets of food and greens in front of her door. :)

Our Queen, who has her 80th Birthday today made a speech to the nation a while ago, I think made an impact. Here it is with English subtitles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDRgDsa2jDU

Companies and certain politicians are pressing hard to open more up, but I think it’s a bit too early.

Karen
04-17-2020, 06:31 PM
This is a very rural area of Vermont, which is a pretty rural state anyway. But someone made wooden hearts and put them on sticks at the corner of my street and the bigger road, one of which says "April distance brings May existence" - there are two more that I don't remember.

Looked at them again today, the other two are, "You are allowed to scream, you are allowed too cry, just never give up!"

And "Hope is stronger than fear" - I am afraid that one is not always true,, but it would be nice if it were.

It was strange what things were out of stock in the grocery store - no unscented deodorant in any of the "gender neutral" brands, but I was able to get an "unscented" deodorant "for men"

cassiesmom
04-19-2020, 05:43 PM

I like that! There are calls around here for the governor to let businesses open up again, but so far he is still holding off. That seems prudent to me. He did extend the closure of schools through the end of the academic year - I think that's late May or early June for most districts. I'm sorry for the kids who will miss the end of year dances, proms, trips and other events. Will have to wait and hope for the best.

Karen
04-19-2020, 07:26 PM
The good thing is, businesses get to decide - once their state decide it is safe, whether or not to open, and under what restrictions.

It was strange seeing people enter the grocery store today with no mask or even scarf over their nose and mouth, but at least they were in the minority. and others were good about the whole social distancing thing. There are social gatherings - like church, and ceramics open studio, that I miss, but staying away for the sake of everyone's safety is a minor price to pay.

Karen
05-13-2020, 05:00 PM
Two of my high school classmates have lost parents to Covid-19 this week.

A friend here, an older woman who emigrated to America many years ago from Germany, heard from her sister back in Germany that the sister has pancreatic cancer. She is only 62. My friend is hoping she can hang on long enough for a visit to be possible, but fears with the uncertainty of Covid, she may not get to see her before she dies.

And it is sad to see people so divided over whether or not to wear a mask - I wear two whenever I am out of the house, as given my job at the Post Office, I am exposed to a lot more potential pathogens than most people, and am in "touch" - not literally, we take precautions - with many elderly people in the community, people with young children, and everyone in between.

cassiesmom
05-16-2020, 01:36 PM
There are calls around here for the governor to let businesses open up again, but so far he is still holding off. That seems prudent to me. He did extend the closure of schools through the end of the academic year - I think that's late May or early June for most districts. I'm sorry for the kids who will miss the end of year dances, proms, trips and other events. Will have to wait and hope for the best.

Things are opening up in Indiana and Wisconsin but so far our governor is still holding off. Our case numbers don't seem to be falling off yet. He does have a formal plan for how the state can reopen in stages. The Chicago area has the highest case numbers of the entire state - which I think is to be expected.

It's also nice out today, sunny and breezy, so that helps too. I can open the windows and I will try to get outside for awhile.

Karen
05-23-2020, 12:51 PM
Covid-19-safe season Farmer's Market was yesterday. It was strange and sparsely populated, and not without stress.

I got everything set up, got all the Golden Cakes into "safe" ziplock bags, same for the tea cookies, and all the ceramic pieces out on display. There were ropes set up and all the "booths" had a booth worth of space between them. Then they put up another string 6 feet in front of my table, no one was allowed to touch anything, etc. But people - all masked and careful, touched things anyway (getting scolded by the market manager), and I sent two dragons onto their happy homes, as well as selling some golden cakes. But there were very few people, and folks were only supposed to walk in one direction around the rope-created loop. All the picnic tables were roped off as well, because we were not allowed to encourage people to linger.

Things keep changing, so hopefully it will go smoother next week.

Karen
05-26-2020, 06:15 AM
From Sunday:
MemorialDay 2020 in one photo;

Respect, Sacrifice, Care and Mask. My niece and my Dad's marker

Also Paul

RICHARD
05-28-2020, 12:37 PM
A few of my observations?

I worked in a hospital for a long time - around the ER and the OR for most of it.

I was there for ALL the big diseases. Legionnaires, HIV/AIDs, Hanta, Lyme and some others. I learned enough to fill a book and remember enough to fill a thimble. After a while I learned NOT to panic and to be aware of what I was doing.

When i heard about the CV and the experts talking about it, I laughed.

Not because of the illness itself, but of the dire predictions.

They were selling the story with predictions that it was as bad as the storyline in books like The Andromeda Strain, The Stand or The Hot Zone.

Namely that people were going to drop dead in the streets in minutes after being exposed? (I think we know now that take at least two weeks for it to show up after exposure?)

--------------

For the record?

A virus needs a warm or moist medium/area to thrive in/on. You can relate this to the 'fire triangle' they teach in a safety class. you need oxygen/fuel and heat to start a fire - except that the fuel is a moist environment for this disease to live on. If the chain is broken, the disease dies.

Not to say people should not be careful -its just that most of the time wiping stuff down is not really needed. its good to be careful, but not to panic or go crazy when thinking about it.

-----------------

I have a suspicion that this disease was here in the states as early as October of last year.

Why?

I was sick for all of nov/dec with something that I was told was 'nothing' (I think people thought I was losing my mind!)

I stopped eating (Not a great way to lose weight) I was down to a Cup-of-Noodles every two-three days, violent stomach upsets, a fever, labored breathing and lethargy.

I spent days in bed only getting up to go to the bathroom, getting a bite to eat and doing simple stuff around the house. I had to sleep sitting up because i could not catch my breath and something simple like taking out the trash and going to pick up the newspaper required me to think about if for a half hour beforehand, do it and spend 15 trying to get my wind back. one flight of stairs would almost make me pass out. Another weird effect was that I was seriously thinking that death was probably better than feeling the way I did.

That had me freaked out a little...more on that later?

I toughed it out and by the first of the year I was feeling a lot better.

-----------------

When the media picked up the story -this is where I laughed - they sold it like a walking dead episode. people dead in the streets and zombies strutting about asking for brains to eat.

Again, i was not laughing at the loss of life or the illnesses, it was the dire predictions of the eminent extinction of all man kind - the toilet paper shortage amused me.

The world would end and every one dying with a clean butt hole.....dark humor amuses me?

------------------

After a few weeks of the news reports i began to suspect that I was indeed sick with something kinda unusual, but it really hit home when a talking head on tv reported that 'his head was not right' while he was sick.

When Doris walked into the man cave and said "I think you had the CV" I felt kind of vindicated - Her and I had some moments because she would ask me what I wanted for dinner, she would cook it and I just did want to eat. Another by product of this illness was I just had to sit up in bed and that would make wretch -this was 5-15 minutes of wanting to throw up with nothing in me stomach.

One benefit? I got to work out my abs every time!

Do I know for sure?

No, but here is an interesting tidbit? I had scheduled a colonoscopy and got in the day before the hospitals closed down. I went in, got it done and awaited the results.

I got a phone call two weeks later and was told I was exposed to a worker who tested positive.

they gave the info to the health dept and I was to take the necessary precautions. I was irritated for about a minute and then called my doc who told me that I didn't need to be tested (this was when the testing was barely getting started).

And then?

nothing....no problems at all.

I am NOT saying to ignore what is happening outside your front door, common sense and keeping your wits about you will get everyone thru this.

Oh, and always buy you toilet paper in bulk......we had to buy the cheap stuff and it was like wiping yourself with wax paper.....

phesina
05-28-2020, 03:25 PM
Good to "see" you again, Richard!

I'm so glad you made it through whatever-you-had there.

RICHARD
05-28-2020, 04:29 PM
Good to "see" you again, Richard!

I'm so glad you made it through whatever-you-had there.

Thanks, it's been a while!

-----------------------------

hahaha,

I have a huge laundry list of some of the stupidity that I have heard in the media.

Like comparing this to the Spanish flu/pandemic of 1918.

I took some infectious disease classes and learned that numbers do not lie.

But........the numbers/figures this time around are very misleading in some ways.

For example?

Compare health care today against the HC in 1918.

Most diseases like measles, whooping cough - go down the list? - were not treatable at that time. Isolation was the rule of thumb. These days most diseases have been tamed or wiped out.

Now a doctor has the web at his finger tips and the ability to get info faster that the speed of light.

Imagine having to stop and got to the library with a list of symptoms in hand to make a diagnosis?

Look at the medical tech in use today?

When I worked they were still taking appendixes out by cutting slits into your belly and having you spend three days in the hospital, Now? It's done with a scope and you get to go home the next day.

--------------------

My biggest laugh is from the projection of a second wave this winter.

Back in 1918, to travel, you needed time and to get where you needed to be. These days you hop on a jet and get there the same day.

It does spread the disease faster, but it also removes all the people you would have to interact with on your trip.

These numbers and stats are being touted as 'truth' but they are based on a formula that only counts exponential growth - without looking at other factors. Like population density, food, previous health.... Look at the general health, longevity, well being of a person living in 1918 and compare it to today?

People are living longer, eat healthier and are not subjected to the type of planet we used to have..

Another example is the air quality and HVAC systems?

Most of us live in or visit buildings where the air is recycled in a system that filters and in some cases kills any pathogens in the air with UV light.

Going to the bank in 1918 could probably kill you it your cashier had a cold?

THese days the air inside a building is kept circulating and cleaned - as long as the electricity is going!

--------------------

My last complaint is about the numbers game the media plays with the public.

Every time i see a break down of the numbers involved? It really make me angry.

The true numbers won't be known for a while, but here is an example?

We know that X amount of tests are done, X people are positive and X died.

That is so misleading because without any other numbers you would think that getting the CV is going to kill you?

If you have a populated town that has 10,000 people in it and you test half? that is 5k tests.

Out of the 5k that are tested? 2000 are infected, of the 2k that are infected, 50 die.

Only recently they have started to add the number of recovered cases to the lists.

If you only test 100 cases and 50 die?

It makes the numbers sound way worse than they really are. When you look at the numbers that way it makes it look like 50% of all cases are terminal.

We do not have the numbers of people who have recovered or have been exposed and show no symptoms to make a real guess at the numbers. As those numbers come in, the morbidity rate will go down and we will have a better picture of what is going on.

------------------------------

I am not saying to ditch your masks or go to a bar tonight, But I am saying that people are freaking out way to quickly and not using common sense when it comes down to being smart about this situation.

I hope that everyone stays safe - things are not as bad as the media says the are.

if they were? You'd be fighting zombies on your front porch right about now and you would not be able to get your mail....

Hang tough, folks!

Someone has to.

Karen
05-28-2020, 04:51 PM
I am in Vermont now - welcome back, Richard, we have missed you. And people are being very careful, being good about social distancing, etc. No one around here I know has had it, but several friends from high school days have lost parents or friends to Covid down in Massachusetts.

The media hype everything, it's their job, and social media siloing is a real thing!

mon
05-30-2020, 10:57 PM
Cheers to you dear, thoughtful Richard. Lord love a duck.

mon
05-30-2020, 11:01 PM
What makes me angry is people being violent. It is unacceptable and revolting to me. Particularly when it's being doled out be peeps who have been granted authority. REALLY PISSES ME OFF!

mon
05-30-2020, 11:06 PM
P.s. Most human being realize we must sort the wheat from the chaff. Sorta goes without sayin, maybe a large percentage of what goes in one ear should go directly out the other. Clearly.

mon
05-30-2020, 11:12 PM
Covid is a real scary thing. Just like syphillis, leprosy and venereal warts. Try to avoid them all peeps.

Karen
05-31-2020, 04:34 PM
I think much of the problem is today's media goes even more for what used to be termed "yellow journalism" - sensationalizing stories, reducing everything to opinion and soundbites. That and the siloing effect some social media platforms promulgate.

A young woman I know tangentially (I helped edit her mother's book) was just stabbed repeatedly in her hometown of Las Vegas, apparently just because of her race. The woman called her the n-word over and over, as she slashed and stabbed her seven or eight times.

This young woman is not only a sweet, beautiful person, but she is a NURSE for heaven's sake. But that person did not see her kindness or her job description, or her strength of character, just her skin color. Please keep Yasmine in your prayers, the wounds are all superficial, but of course she is traumatized, frightened, and will likely end up with scars on her pretty face.

mon
06-01-2020, 03:57 AM
Oh no! That is heartbreaking, I wish there was something we could do. I know there is, be more loving and kind to every person, every day. That is so freaking unbearably awful!!! Shit

mon
06-01-2020, 03:59 AM
Yasmine is in my prayers. 💕❤️

mon
06-01-2020, 04:40 AM
I will never understand how a persons skin color matters. If we were all blind, what the hell would we decide to hate one another for. Their smell. It's not like we decide if we are born Caucasian, Chinese, East Indian....one day we just realize we are here on earth and look in th mirror and deal. Right. There's like no choice, no right or wrong, it just is what it is!! Do you think people would really rather die than get a blood transfusion from someone who wasn't the right shade? Guess some folks are that ignorant, God bless 'em. Who really cares, I sure don't. It is FREAKING lunacy and I'm tired of it. Exhausted

mon
06-01-2020, 05:13 AM
P.s. I'm white. I have Cree blood, my dad was dark skinned, jet black hair. My mother was whiter than white, red hair and freckles. Indians know I'm Indian, Caucasians think I'm white. What a joke, who cares. Just sayin' , like really??

Karen
06-01-2020, 01:17 PM
Yasmine is in my prayers. ❤️

Thanks, Mon. so many people hurting in this world, too many, always.

Karen
06-04-2020, 11:35 AM
Just got an email, my beloved neighbors at the end of the hall from Boston/Belmont. They are an older pair of retired teachers, look like a pair of Italian salt and pepper shakers. He emailed me, her identical twin sister has died of Covid. So sad.

phesina
06-04-2020, 08:05 PM
I'm so sorry, Karen. How sad that is. My deepest sympathy to your dear friends and you and all who love her and grieve her and will miss her.

phesina
06-04-2020, 08:14 PM
I think much of the problem is today's media goes even more for what used to be termed "yellow journalism" - sensationalizing stories, reducing everything to opinion and soundbites. That and the siloing effect some social media platforms promulgate.

A young woman I know tangentially (I helped edit her mother's book) was just stabbed repeatedly in her hometown of Las Vegas, apparently just because of her race. The woman called her the n-word over and over, as she slashed and stabbed her seven or eight times.

This young woman is not only a sweet, beautiful person, but she is a NURSE for heaven's sake. But that person did not see her kindness or her job description, or her strength of character, just her skin color. Please keep Yasmine in your prayers, the wounds are all superficial, but of course she is traumatized, frightened, and will likely end up with scars on her pretty face.

How horrible. Yasmine is in my prayers. I'm sending hugs and good wishes and healing energies to her, that her healing, physical and emotional and spiritual, will go well.

mon
06-06-2020, 11:03 PM
Is there an update on how Yasmine is please? 🤞🏾❤️

Karen
06-07-2020, 01:29 AM
She is healing physically, at least. It turns out her attacker was her upstairs neighbor in the apartment building. So sad, pointless violence and hatred.

Karen
06-07-2020, 01:31 AM
Please, everyone, continue to stay safe and keep up the precautions. Seeing an uptick in cases in many places where they have been "reopening" things, and its two weeks since Memorial Day Weekend, when many people traveled and gathered for the first time in months.

Karen
06-07-2020, 01:55 PM
June arrived after
A year-long, turned, broken May
A heart-worn world burns

Streets of broken glass
Shattered dreams, lives forever
Scarred, changed, burned, we cry

Yet somewhere a song
Ignites a shred of hope, of
Healing, moving on

Together even
As we keep distance, voices
Can rise, united

sana
06-12-2020, 10:01 PM
June arrived after
A year-long, turned, broken May
A heart-worn world burns

Streets of broken glass
Shattered dreams, lives forever
Scarred, changed, burned, we cry

Yet somewhere a song
Ignites a shred of hope, of
Healing, moving on

Together even
As we keep distance, voices
Can rise, united

:'( ❤

How's everybody doing? It's been a while since I logged in. With the current situation, wanted to know you all are safe and healthy too.
Wishing best of health to you all.

Karen
06-13-2020, 09:52 AM
:'( ❤

How's everybody doing? It's been a while since I logged in. With the current situation, wanted to know you all are safe and healthy too.
Wishing best of health to you all.

Sana! How are you? We are safe and healthy here, and have a new baby at the farm! Did you see Boo? (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=194088)

mon
06-15-2020, 03:33 AM
I will stay strong
Use all of my smarts
Won't cave and hate
Gonna eat me buttertarts
I will wash my hands
Wear a mask
I will listen to peeps
Not a hard task
Need to listen
That's what Ellen say
I'll try to listen
No need to learn the hard way
Hate is a hopeless road
Let's be kind
I'd surely kiss a toad
Clearly rappin'
Isn't my best thing
You haven't been tortured
'Till you've heard me sing 🕊🌈

mon
06-15-2020, 03:35 AM
I will stay strong
Use all of my smarts
Won't cave and hate
Gonna eat me buttertarts
I will wash my hands
Wear a mask
I will listen to peeps
Not a hard task
Need to listen
That's what Ellen say
I'll try to listen 👂🏽
No need to learn the hard way
Hate is a hopeless road
Let's be kind
I'd surely kiss a toad
Clearly rappin'
Isn't my best thing
You haven't been tortured
'Till you've heard me sing 🕊🌈

mon
06-15-2020, 03:36 AM
Ooooooops.

Karen
06-15-2020, 11:41 AM
Ooooooops.

You know you can edit or delete the second post, right?

Karen
06-16-2020, 05:27 PM
Kermit's friend Alfina is in the hospital on oxygen. Please keep her in your prayers. She is a mom with two tweenage children who need her, and a Paiute indian.

phesina
06-16-2020, 09:18 PM
Sending prayers and good wishes and warm healing energies for Alfina..

Karen
07-31-2020, 02:49 PM
Because of poisonings, dangers of blindness etc., the FDA has created a list of hand Sanitizers to avoid:

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-updates-hand-sanitizers-methanol

Please check the list and check your cabinets!

david p
08-03-2020, 08:09 AM
Karen, being a resident in a nursing home, they take all of the precautions to keep us safe, but it's BORING! There are no visitors and our temps are taken often. But then it's great considering the alternative!! Everyone at pettalk and the u s a PLEASE be safe!

Karen
08-03-2020, 12:48 PM
Karen, being a resident in a nursing home, they take all of the precautions to keep us safe, but it's BORING! There are no visitors and our temps are taken often. But then it's great considering the alternative!! Everyone at pettalk and the u s a PLEASE be safe!

Great to hear from you, David! At least you have th computer and can communicate/visit with us!

phesina
08-03-2020, 01:30 PM
Great to hear from you, David, and I'm glad you're keeping safe!

Doing our best here..

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:.

Cheers!
- Pat

Purrrs!
- Sparkler

david p
08-20-2020, 08:15 AM
This morning they gave us the virus test. The test was easy, but I have to wait one or two for the results. I hope it"s n

Karen
08-20-2020, 11:15 AM
We hope so, keep us posted, David!

phesina
08-20-2020, 01:55 PM
Best wishes, David!

sleepgrazed
09-23-2020, 04:04 PM
We hope so, prayers for you

cassiesmom
10-26-2020, 11:02 PM
We took a step backward in some of the collar counties of Chicago the past couple of weeks. The case numbers are definitely going up, so restaurants are not allowed to offer indoor dining and bars are closing earlier. November in Chicago is definitely NOT the time to eat outdoors. Like everyone, I'm weary of masks, distancing and washing my hands a bazillion times a day - but it's necessary. I hope this trend reverses itself soon!

david p
11-27-2020, 01:15 PM
Karen, me and everyone here at Concordia and at my building, Oertel, are doing still doing well during this pandemic. However I get worried when I the see the death numbers go up every day.

david p
11-30-2020, 08:35 AM
I live in a care center and all food and supplies are provided.

Residents can't leave and visitors can't come in. That is my situation also. Everything is supplied to us and if if one of us have a doctor's appointment, that person is put in quarantine for two days. ( and wear a mask)

Felicia's Mom
01-17-2021, 04:49 PM
All the residents where I am living had a Covid-19 shot today.

Kay Burton
01-21-2021, 07:48 AM
All the residents where I am living had a Covid-19 shot today.

This is great news! Still, little by little, step by step, we are approaching victory over the virus. Of course, he will not completely disappear, but he will be under control and we can return to normal life. Until the next infection, of course.

Freckles
01-21-2021, 08:31 AM
I got my first shot on Jan. 18th . Feb. 8 for my second shot.

david p
02-16-2021, 12:32 PM
Freckles, that's the same day I had my second shot. My left shoulder was sore and I was up all night shivering(I don't usually do that.) However, despite of that, I'm doing okay!

david p
02-16-2021, 12:33 PM
Freckles, that's the same day I had my second shot. My left shoulder was sore and I was up all night shivering (I don't usually do that.) However, despite of that, I'm doing okay!

Vette
02-17-2021, 11:48 AM
Store shelves here are looking much like they did in the very beginning with lots of empty fruits an veggie bins
no toilet paper
no rubbing alcohol or germ killing hand wipes etc
tylenol an the likes are hard to find again
dog food an treats are even more sparsely stocked then before. had to go to a different store to get my dogs kibble an even they had only 2bags of it so i bought both. they were both 14pound bags so theyll last quite a while an hopefully through this

phesina
02-17-2021, 02:15 PM
I got my first shot in mid-January, second shot last week.

Kay Burton
02-19-2021, 04:13 AM
Store shelves here are looking much like they did in the very beginning with lots of empty fruits an veggie bins
no toilet paper
no rubbing alcohol or germ killing hand wipes etc
tylenol an the likes are hard to find again
dog food an treats are even more sparsely stocked then before. had to go to a different store to get my dogs kibble an even they had only 2bags of it so i bought both. they were both 14pound bags so theyll last quite a while an hopefully through this

After all, goods continue to be produced, and there is a stock of them in warehouses, but here people seem to understand nothing at all. Like madmen they rake everything they can, then they throw out a lot of it, because they do not have time to eat. And other people, at the same time, do not have the opportunity to buy something they need. Society of the Mad, honestly.

Vette
02-21-2021, 01:29 PM
After all, goods continue to be produced, and there is a stock of them in warehouses, but here people seem to understand nothing at all. Like madmen they rake everything they can, then they throw out a lot of it, because they do not have time to eat. And other people, at the same time, do not have the opportunity to buy something they need. Society of the Mad, honestly.

Indeed! its sad really

Kay Burton
03-12-2021, 03:37 AM
Indeed! its sad really

Unfortunately, the idiocy of most people is noticeable only in such critical situations. It is at such moments that all the game comes out. I do not know what will cure these people of idiocy.

Karen
03-24-2021, 10:08 AM
It seems to be a phenomenon that - when people get their vaccine - they feel compelled to post it on social media.

And I am bemused and a bit befuddled by companies' ways of encouraging vaccination. Krispy Kreme is offering a free donut a day with proof of vaccination ... So, you don;t get COVID, but get obese and unhealthy because of all the donuts? Hmmmm ....

Kay Burton
04-01-2021, 03:41 AM
It seems to be a phenomenon that - when people get their vaccine - they feel compelled to post it on social media.

And I am bemused and a bit befuddled by companies' ways of encouraging vaccination. Krispy Kreme is offering a free donut a day with proof of vaccination ... So, you don;t get COVID, but get obese and unhealthy because of all the donuts? Hmmmm ....

If a person has a normal diet, then 1 donut a day for morning coffee will not affect his weight in any way. By receiving a free donut, you can adjust the portion eaten for breakfast in the direction of reducing the amount of food. So there is no need to dramatize. You need to properly treat your diet and eating habits.

Karen
04-01-2021, 06:06 AM
If a person has a normal diet, then 1 donut a day for morning coffee will not affect his weight in any way. By receiving a free donut, you can adjust the portion eaten for breakfast in the direction of reducing the amount of food. So there is no need to dramatize. You need to properly treat your diet and eating habits.

I know that - but how many people will do that, instead of just figuring, "It's free, the calories don't count!" That would be the normal reaction, I think!

I have never had a Krispy Kreme donut, and am not a big donut person in general, so no hazard for me there. Maybe I had enough of them at church coffee hours growing up?

Kay Burton
04-12-2021, 05:28 AM
With this quarantine, I will soon lose my mind. I have already tried so many different activities, but I cannot stop at one completely. Recently I have been creating furniture. So far, I've mastered simple furniture like shelves and racks. Of course, before assembling, I process the wood, and then I apply the topcoat. Recently my order came - Wagner Spraytech 0518080 (https://homemakerguide.com/best-paint-sprayer/). With this device, the paint lays evenly and efficiently on any surface.

mon
04-12-2021, 09:25 PM
You’re not losing your mind. What exactly do you long to do so much? Pretty sure you’ll be able to resume it...whatever that profoundly awsome activity is that you miss.

mon
04-12-2021, 09:36 PM
I had to google “befuddled” either get vaccinated or don’t. REALLY! If the only reason you get vaccinated to prevent getting the Covid virus is because you get one free donut...there needs to be no more conversation. Get a life people🤣🤣🙄

mon
04-12-2021, 10:09 PM
Donuts range between 150 to 400 hundred calories. They have no nutritional value. If you add that to your normal diet, depending on your age, metabolism and other factors.... you could easily gain weight and become obese because of the additional calories over time. Donuts have no nutritional value whatsoever because the main ingredients are white sugar, bleached flour and veg oil, then they are deep fried. Maybe as a treat every few months , if one is so inclined would they be a reasonable option health wise. They are a very poor choice as a food. Fruit, whole grain toast, eggs, porridge, granola are far better choices at any age. Health begins with nutrition and positive choices and is so very important to human beings and our pets. I would like to think people would take the time to think about how to take care of their minds and bodies. 🌈🦾💕👍🏿

mon
04-12-2021, 10:57 PM
It’s irritating to me that people aren’t sure what to put into their bodies. One would think that if you are a human being and have access to the internet that you could at least attempt to figure out what is healthy for both yourself and your family. Allergies and intolerances aside of course, a clean diet is delicious and makes your body happy. Fruits, vegetables, dairy or calcium substitutes, and proteins, beans, legumes any animal meat, seafood, nuts. I think a lot of peeps get stuck on what tastes alright and don’t expand their horizons. Don’t get stuck in the same old same old. Changing it up does not mean your food has to be more expensive or take more time to prepare. Simply replace certain common foods with a different alternative, one by one. Nothing radical. If no one cares for it try another. I have tried this and succeeded SO many times. Never act happy when this occurs. French onion soup, carrot raisin salad, Greek salad, Waldorf salad, spaghetti squash tossed wit a little butter and Parmesan, can be reheated if yo make a lot! Just fresh fruit or vegetables arranged attractively and a million dips for both. Please eat well, your mind, body, spirit and family will reap the benefits. Stay positive, the choice is yours 💕❤️

mon
04-16-2021, 12:25 AM
Today I googled “Why people suck”... i realize that sounds like a stupid question and I did not read the answer though there appeared to be thousands of answers. I know I am not the only one who is growing older, losing loved ones, watching racist cops killing people, seeing the fear in people’s eyes for simply walking down the street and passing one another....even wearing masks. I had to get shoulder replacement surgery on March 15 and it’s all fine but so cold and impersonal. I feel so sad for anyone that has to go through surgery at this time because it is very lonely and difficult. Hey, not whining..just saying. Exhausting really ❤️

Kay Burton
04-21-2021, 02:18 AM
Today I googled “Why people suck”... i realize that sounds like a stupid question and I did not read the answer though there appeared to be thousands of answers. I know I am not the only one who is growing older, losing loved ones, watching racist cops killing people, seeing the fear in people’s eyes for simply walking down the street and passing one another....even wearing masks. I had to get shoulder replacement surgery on March 15 and it’s all fine but so cold and impersonal. I feel so sad for anyone that has to go through surgery at this time because it is very lonely and difficult. Hey, not whining..just saying. Exhausting really ❤️

This isolation has already gotten everyone, but it is much more difficult for those who, during this period, also have health problems, are undergoing treatment. I really want to find something positive in the world around us, but every day it's harder to do.