PDA

View Full Version : New dog!!! New dog!!!

Candy16
01-04-2003, 02:08 PM
First of all, I'd like to announce my new dog, Porshia!

I just rescued her today! She is about a year old, and she is a red merle Australian Shepherd. The reason we adopted her was because she is to herd our sheep on our farm. I have no idea how to go about training her, does anyone have any advice??

Second: I already have Candy, my nearly 4-year-old mutt. I'm unsure of how to introduce them. Any thoughts? Thanks all for any help!

P.S. I'll have pics ASAP!! :D

Crikit
01-04-2003, 02:32 PM
First of all congrats, Aussies are great dogs if given a job to do which you are going to do.

The best way to train her for sheep herding is probably to try to see if there is someone in your area who trains sheep dogs, and if they will train you and the dog to work the sheep properly...that is if she's the type of aussie who will herd, some herding breeds don't have the drive or desire to herd. As for introducing her to Candy the best way would probably be neutral territory like a park or something like that, some place were the dogs won't feel the need to protect the area.

Good luck

primabella
01-04-2003, 03:38 PM
congrats on the new dog! :) i love aussies, they are too cute. :D is she a mini or standard size? hope to see pics soon. good luck in training her and introducing your two new dogs. no suggestions here :o

mel55smiles
01-04-2003, 03:41 PM
TO INTRODUCE THE DOGS IT WOULD PROBALY BE BEST TO LEASH BOTH OF THEM AND LET THEM SNIFF AND GET TO KNOW EACH OTHER, I SAID LEASH THEM BECAUSE IF THEY GROWL YOU CAN EASILY PULL BACK

Aspen and Misty
01-04-2003, 08:04 PM
Congratulations! I love Aussies! There faces are the sweetest things. My pup is half Aussie. Hee hee. I love there smiles. Ok I've gone on long enough

Try going to a search engine and type in Sheep training or something like that. Maybe even call some trainers and ask if they know how to train the dog or if they know of someone who could help you. Good luck! O did I say I just love those Aussie's??? PICS PLEASE!!!!

Ash :D

Candy16
01-04-2003, 09:50 PM
Pics!! I got pics!! LoL Sorry for the red eye... her eyes are actually half blue and half brown... I'll have to get some pics without the flash!!

http://www.antique-index.com/photostore/CandyPorshia/Happy%20Porshia.jpg

http://www.antique-index.com/photostore/CandyPorshia/Porshia.jpg

http://www.antique-index.com/photostore/CandyPorshia/Porshia_girl.jpg

delidog
01-05-2003, 04:55 AM
WOW!!! She is Beautiful!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of {{{{HUGS and TREATS!!!!}}}}}}
;) :) :D

Cookiebaker
01-05-2003, 07:11 AM
Porshia is beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing her gorgeous pictures!! Congratulations!

Pam
01-05-2003, 07:25 AM
What a gorgeous dog!!!!!!!

Dixieland Dancer
01-05-2003, 07:26 AM
She is a beauty! Congratulations on the new addition! :D

primabella
01-05-2003, 09:23 AM
oh, wow. she is really beautiful :) thanks for the pic

RubyMutt
01-05-2003, 11:18 AM
Wow, she is a beauty! What an adorable face!! :D

Tina
01-05-2003, 02:28 PM
She is so beautiful!! Congrats on your new addition:)

mugsy
01-05-2003, 02:55 PM
I LOVE her!! But, I have a softness for Aussies. Thanks for saving her.

Karen
01-05-2003, 03:10 PM
Congratulations on rescuing this beauty. I agree that you need someone experienced to train her with your sheep. Have any friends that use dogs? If not, maybe your vet, or a county extention service will know someone. A few dollars invested now - in training both you AND Porshia - will pay off many times fold in the future! And think how much fun you all will have - there's just nothing happier than an Aussie/Border Collie herding sheep for a beloved master!

Some dogs naturally herd, but still need training to obey commands. One of my brother's best friends family had a Border Collie on their far, that was a "natural" - but that also meant he tried to herd their peacocks, chickens, children, and guests at parties! He was a very busy dog, needless to say - neither the peacocks not kids stayed "herded" very long!

Candy16
01-05-2003, 04:54 PM
Thanks everybody for all your nice comments! I love her, too!! :D

Crikit - Yes, I will try to find someone around here who knows about dogs herding sheep... it shouldn't be too hard, because there are a lot of sheep! LOL I will also definitely try introducing my dogs on neutral territory, I don't think there's any other way to do it!

Primabella - I honestly don't know if she is a mini or standard... I will take her to the vet's tomorrow to determine her age, and from there will see if she's going to grow any more! If she's already full grown, then she is on the small side, so I'd guess a mini.

mel55smiles - I will be sure to have both dogs on leash when they meet. :)

Aspen and Misty - Thanks for your help! I appreciate it!! :D

Karen - I have definitely done my research, and I know that Aussies need a job to do, they are not happy just hanging around the house. We got Porshia so that she can herd the sheep, and I really look forward to learning with her! I'm not afraid to invest the money in finding a good trainer - I know it will all pay off in the end!! As far as whether she is a "natural" or not... I honestly don't know yet, but I can't wait to find out!! Thanks!! :D :D

Candy16
01-07-2003, 01:11 PM
UPDATE!!

Porshia is doing wonderful - and the hardest part so far, the potty training, is really coming along! I think we made a breakthrough this morning! (We didn't have school today - the temp. hasn't been above 25 degrees and we have about 8 inches of snow! :D) Just had to share the news - I was sooo excited!! :D :)

Logan
01-07-2003, 01:39 PM
How exciting!!! A new dog, and a beautiful new dog too!!! :) Portia is delightful, Candy. Good luck on the training!!! :D

KYS
01-07-2003, 09:28 PM
A big congratulations on your new dog. :)

ramanth
01-08-2003, 08:58 AM
Congratulations!! She's gorgeous! :D

anna_66
01-08-2003, 07:43 PM
She is a real beauty! Good luck with her!