PDA

View Full Version : training a shepherd

lexie
01-04-2003, 10:41 AM
my german shepherd chases every car that passes and pulls on the leash so bad she almost pulls me onto the ground. she almost a year old. i got her a a christmas presant from a friend that had her chained up inher back yard. she has also been beat. what can i do to get her to stop pulling and stop chasing?:confused:

wolf_Q
01-04-2003, 10:50 AM
As for chasing cars.......Don't let her RUN LOOSE! This is a very dangerous habit, she could end up being killed. Please keep her in your house or fenced yard at all times, and take her out on a leash.

As for pulling on a leash.......there are several ways to fix this. What I would recommend is getting her enrolled in a basic obedience class. They teach you how to leash train the dog, along with many other things. I have a husky, and they are KNOWN for being horrible at pulling on a leash...after all, they *were* bred for pulling sleds..and he's not bad at all, as I had him in puppy kindergarten and have worked on leash training him.

Another method that works GREAT for some, but not all dogs, is the halti. My friend has a german shorthair that is horrible at pulling, and it has worked wonders for her. The halti is around the head/muzzle so the dog can't pull....it may look mean, but it is not.

I, personally, wouldn't recommend a chock collar as most people don't use them correctly, and the dogs just choke themselves...please try the halti first.