PDA

View Full Version : LOVE OR OBEDIENCE?

jackiesdaisy1935
04-11-2001, 04:49 PM
I was thinking today, how do you know your dog truly loves you or is it just obedience?
I was pondering this question with Daisy.
Daisy is very independent, she may or may not come when I call her, she loves to play catch the ball but refuses to bring it all the way back to me, does not like me to pick her up and hold her. There are many times that Daisy hurt my feelings until one day
I was not feeling very well and she jumped on me and licked my face and laid down beside me, on another occasion I was playing with Perry and he started growling at me and Daisy came over and jumped on him to protect me. I have come to the conclusion that dogs like people have their own personalities and like people love in each their own way. I think obedience in dogs is wonderful, but I will take their unconditional love any way I can get it. I feel much better about Daisy I know she loves me in her own way.

http://schnauzerville.homestead.com/files/neutergrt.gif

RachelJ
04-11-2001, 06:24 PM
Jackie, I think we speculated before how similar Daisy and Hannah are. Hannah really resents being told when she has to go outside and "come" is always thought out as to whether there is something else that is of interest to her. She knows that 95% of the time there is a treat involved for "come" but because this involves what she considers being controlled, I have only a 50/50 shot at compliance. But she too knows how to show her love. She really enjoys my company outside and will do her best to get me to come out there with her. Her appreciation when she gets a massage is abundant and sometimes she will bestow the sweetest little kisses on me, not often but enough to let me know that even though she is Daddy's girl, she does love me. I came to the conclusion that we are just a lot alike, both feircely independent, like having things our way, enjoy our food and struggle with our weight, get snarly at times, and appreciate the simple things in life. She really is part of me!

jackiesdaisy1935
04-11-2001, 08:21 PM
Rachel, I think that is true with Daisy. I am also very independent and my husband says Daisy and I are alike. We both picked out the dog we wanted and he of course picked the male Perry, and I picked out Daisy, naturally we both love them both, but Daisy
gravitates toward men, she adores our grown son and grandson, when they stop by she buries them in kisses, and any time my Husband calls her she goes right to him.
I think she and Hannah are so much alike, they could be best friends.
Daisy can be difficult, but she is my Heart.

aly
04-11-2001, 10:29 PM
Harley wants Daisy and Hannah as his girlfriends because he's exactly the same way. He would MUCH rather play tug of war or fetch than cuddle. I have to hold him down when I hug him and he'll tolerate it for only a few seconds before he backs away and runs to find a toy to bring me. Reece likes to play a lot with Harley but if I ever say his name, he's in my lap in an instant. When I hold him in my arms, he molds into them as if he's a part of me. I joke around and tell people he was born in a lap because he acts so natural when being held.

Its been cute since I got Reece because Harley tries to be more cuddly when he sees Reece doing it. They imitate each other a lot and whenever Harley sees Reece is having fun licking my face and sitting in my lap, he'll run over to me too. I love waking up in the morning because they both attack me with kisses. Harley gets sick of it fast though.

Harley also only listens to me when he feels like it. Its embarrassing in public when he forgets all his manners. I still love him for the brat that he is. I hope I can find someone who will love him as much as I do http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif

karen israel
04-12-2001, 01:50 PM
Hmmm... good question Jackie..made me think a bit about Cody. I was an easy target, very non-alpha for about 2 years. When I asserted myself there was a huge personality change. He knows he can get me to do anything with those big browners, a slap, a soft whine but when I look at him with a no or don't you dare he averts my eyes and obeys. He has selective obedience sometimes too. A plain "come" without a purpose (ie:food, ball) is useless. Who knows what goes through their adorable lil heads? LOVE? Of course! Whether he obeys me, pulls me, barks at me, I KNOW without a doubt that he loves me as unconditionally as I do him. If I don't come home til very late, I get ignored which makes me cry, but I think because he loves me, relies on me, he gets mad because I'm not with him. I take it as a compliment. Nothing gives me more pleasure than to be followed around the house or have my hugs and kisses reciprocated with doggy saliva all over me or a paw wrapped around my arm as I rub a belly!! It fills me with such inexplicable joy. I'm very affectionate and luckily so is Cody. I think all living creatures have their own personality and moods but it doesn't mean any less love. Kind of humanly.... http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

bugmom
04-12-2001, 03:01 PM
But, but... bug loves me unconditionally... i sit when she wants to be petted, i snuggle when she wants a hug, i feed her when she gives me that look of "food or cat." , i take her shopping when she piles all her toys up and pouts, i play 101 and 102 dalmations for her on rainy saturdays, i throw the ball (again ans again) when it is presented to me, and for this i know she loves me....or i am the obedient slave to a dog that has me totally wrapped around her little paw. It is normal to surrender the pillow and covers to the dog at night, isn't it? http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif