PDA

View Full Version : is it normal to still miss a dog after his passing (3 years ago)

scarlett
01-03-2003, 07:49 PM
hey,

well i had a great dog named webster (black toy poodle)he was a great dog i grew up with him.even with 2 dogs here with me now he still means so much to me :( why can't i move on.it was three years ago almost in march it will be 3 years ago.i remember cause it was around my b-day and i had just had surgery:( and in a way we were expecting it cause he was very old (about 15)not sure what 15 is in doggy years.but i didn't get to say goodbye to him my parents took him guess they didn't want me to discover him cause of the surgery i had (feel free to ask what the surgery was i don't mind;) anyway is this normal.any input is welcome and appreciated:)thanks and take care:)

mugsy
01-03-2003, 08:01 PM
I don't think you EVER totally get over the loss of a pet. I still mourn the Pit Bull that we lost almost 3.5 years ago. I have been able to go on without a problem, but it still makes me cry once in a while when I think about her. If you can get another pet to shower your love on that would be good and realize that one day you will meet again at the Rainbow Bridge.

tatsxxx11
01-03-2003, 08:27 PM
Oh no, Scarlett, you are not alone, not at all. Our doggies are such a big part of our lives; they are family and we love them like family. When we lose them, there is a dark, empty space left in our hearts and our pain is very deep. And while it softens with time, it is never goes away completely. I lost my heartdog Jingles, a beautiful yellow Labbie girl, 4 years ago. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of her and miss her terribly; sometimes I cry. I see her in all the places we went, the things we did, the place where she slept, the toys she loved. And while I am sad that I no longer have her physcial presence to comfort me, she lives on in my heart. When I am sad, I think of all the good times, those cherished memories; how she made me laugh, how she comforted me with her sweet kisses, the smell of her fur and I thank her for having brought such joy into my life. In return for this priceless gift of love, it is often our jobs as humans to accept the fact that in return for this unconditional love, we are left to bare the pain of their passing. Your family was trying to protect you and spare you added stress when they chose not to tell you of Webster's passing. You had a lot to deal with at the time. And perhaps your loss is a bit more difficult because you did not have time to prepare for his leaving; because you could not say your final goodbyes. But I'm sure he knew every day of his life how much you loved him. I think he knows even now, how much you miss him. Try to focus on the happy times and your special memories. I truly believe that one day in the distant future we will be reunited again with our beloved furfriends. Try too to hold onto that thought. And never forget that your feelings of sadness and your sense of loss is shared by so many people who, like you, were blessed with the incredible love and devotion of a beautiful dog. {{{hugs}}} Sandra

Sudilar
01-03-2003, 08:45 PM
Wolf died in 1984. Avalanche died in 1996. I still miss them very much. I will never forget them. They are a part of your life and when they die they take a little part of you with them.

Twisterdog
01-03-2003, 10:43 PM
I still miss my basset, Sadie, who died three years ago this month.

Actually, I still miss my three childhood dogs - Drawstring, who died in 1975; Blood, who died in 1987 and Snow, who died in 1988.

I don't think you ever forget them, or quit missing them. :(

i_luv_dogz
01-03-2003, 11:03 PM
I still miss my dog Scruffy i remember that he would sit in my big swing on my porch. When he passed away my sister would alwas tell me that he would want me to rember him but be happy and not sad.

primabella
01-04-2003, 10:03 AM
i still really miss my mom's dog, who was the closest thing to my dog that i had before mickey. he stayed with my grandparents but we took her with us when they went on vacations. i really miss her. she was a great dog and was great to just sit with when you were down. :(:(
its normal to miss someone that was so special and close to you.

Pam
01-04-2003, 10:13 AM
Oh Scarlett it most certainly is normal. I lost my last two poodles (Ashley in '98 and Whitney in '96). We still talk about them and if I let myself dwell on it I can certainly cause the tears to come to the surface. The strange thing is that I have found myself calling Bella by Ashley's name and also by Whitney's name, although not frequently, but it kind of catches in my throat. My hubby has done this too. I think when you have a dog in your life for many years and love them so much it's a very hard thing to move past. Webster sounds like a wonderful dog. I have had two toy poodles and they were devoted little companions. When I miss them I just take out a picture and it helps a little. I'm sure my Rainbow Bridge dogs gave Webster a great big poodle welcome when he arrived. {{hugs}}

anna_66
01-04-2003, 11:32 AM
My Keisha hasn't been gone but about 1 1/2 years, but just thinking about her causes tears to come to my eyes, I still miss her so much.
So I think it is totally normal.

Tina
01-04-2003, 12:20 PM
I still miss my Boo he died 3 years ago in December. I think about him everyday.

Dixieland Dancer
01-04-2003, 02:07 PM
My first dog was a beagle/dauchsand mix and she has been gone for about 26 years. I still have pictures of her around and very fond memories. My first Golden has been gone since 1982 and I talk about her all the time. She was 13 1/2 when she passed.

So... Is it normal after 3 years? Yes it is. You will find the tears are less and the memories are sweeter as time goes on!

RubyMutt
01-04-2003, 03:42 PM
Yes it's normal! I got Muffy, my miniature schnauzer, when I was 3 years old. When I was 16 she was diagnosed with cancer and eventually had to be put down. I spent most of my life with that dog. People say I'm crazy for saying this, but she really was like a sister to me. I'm almost 19 now and I still miss her like crazy. It sometimes still brings tears to my eyes when I think about her. I love my new dog, Ruby, but she will never replace Muffy. But no dog could ever replace Ruby either.

iceyshiver21
01-04-2003, 04:39 PM
Lady, the dog on my Avatar, has been gone for 7 years, and i still miss her very much, it makes me sad to think about it i better stop typing or ill end up getting tears on the keyboard.

KYS
01-04-2003, 06:39 PM
Me too! I miss all my past dogs.

A day doesn't go buy that I do not think of
my all time favorite dog, who passed away 29 years ago. :(

scarlett
01-05-2003, 02:24 AM
hey,

thank you so much for the replies i feel better knowing i'm not the only one that misses their pets:) thanks again.take care:)

scarlett

Poodle&Labmix
01-05-2003, 09:37 PM
It is nothing but normal to miss your dog.
I still miss my dog, who died 9 years ago.
She was a mix of Labrador 50%, Golden Retriever 25% and Rough Collie 25%. She was a great dog and so beautiful.
The lady who was going to take care of her for us put her to down!! I hate this woman and always will!
I never got to say goodbye to her and I don't even know where she is buryed.....:(
Here is my beloved Týra:
http://hvuttar.net/innsendar_myndir/Tyra2-wt.jpg

LoudLou
01-05-2003, 09:49 PM
Yes, it's normal. I lost my Shadow in 1990 and I never got to say goodbye to him or do I know where they buried him, either.... Was very painful and I still cry when I think about him..... I LOVE Louie to pieces and think of him as my son but, Shadow was my "Heart" dog.

Ann
01-06-2003, 06:23 AM
*hugs* I too say it's completely normal. I can sit and think of my lost pets and I just start crying... There pretty much isn't a day that I don't think about them.