PDA

View Full Version : How cold is it where you are?

Catty1
01-14-2020, 11:50 AM
We in Alberta are in the middle of another Polar Vortex. Here are today and tonight's temperatures in Fahrenheit.

Now (10:50 a.m.) -25°<abbr title="Fahrenheit">F Wind Chill </abbr>-33

Tonight: Low minus 41. Wind chill minus 39 this evening and minus 47 overnight. Frostbite in minutes. (This is also in degrees F)

Thursday isn't much better - that's when a bunch of us carriers deliver the local newspaper. I invested in boots that are waterproof and rated to -40 (same temp on both scales).

YIKES!

Randi
01-14-2020, 12:32 PM
So far, we have had no snow or frost. At this time, 19:30 it's 6 degrees Celsius. However, we'll get rain soon... again! I'd rather have a bit of snow and sun with a clear sky.

cats4ever
01-14-2020, 12:45 PM
So far, this "winter" has been a joke. For weeks now the temps are in the upper sixties (Fahrenheit), almost 20 degrees Celsius.
And the rain won't stop. It has been about 2 weeks now when it started raining. It's a swamp around my house.
Candace, maybe we can send some of the crazy weather each other's way.;)

Karen
01-15-2020, 01:25 AM
We had warm weather this weekend, and are facing much colder in the days ahead. Temperatures are changing rapidly here, and people worry that the maple sugaring season will be affected. Currently 33F, so just above freezing.

Vette
01-15-2020, 01:31 PM
It was staying in the 30s-40°F in my part of Washington. we didnt even have any snow on the ground for Christmas.
than on the 27th of December it snowed like gangbusters an we got two an a half feet of snow all at once.
Friday through Monday(10th-13th of January) it stayed between 8-13°F but supposed to warm up into the 30s today an more snow on the way

phesina
01-17-2020, 05:42 PM
We have a big snow storm on its way for tonight and tomorrow...

Yikes!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

cats4ever
01-18-2020, 11:15 AM
Pat, stay safe and warm with your kitties!:love:

Karen
01-18-2020, 02:01 PM
That storm has started here now, we will get 8" - 12" inches - usually more up here than they predict. It is currently 10° F (-12°C) and the snow has commenced. It was 2° this morning, so this is a bit warmer.

phesina
01-18-2020, 04:18 PM
Pat, stay safe and warm with your kitties!:love:

Thank you, Heidi. We're safe and warm!

The overnight-midmorning snow was maybe 7 inches here. Then the temperature got above freezing, and there has been this drizzly rain all day, so the snow has been turning into slush. The temps will go below freezing tonight, and the rain will become snow showers, so there will be more mess tomorrow morning.

I hate winter!

phesina
01-18-2020, 04:22 PM
That storm has started here now, we will get 8" - 12" inches - usually more up here than they predict. It is currently 10° F (-12°C) and the snow has commenced. It was 2° this morning, so this is a bit warmer.

Oooogh, Karen! I hope you and all your family are keeping warm and cozy and safe. We're sending along our best wishes with all thise.

Alysser
01-20-2020, 10:04 PM
19 degrees in Michigan where I live. Currently, 27 degrees in Maryland where I am for job training. I will be going to Georgia in a few weeks, so I am a bit excited for the warmer weather. :)

Karen
01-21-2020, 01:30 PM
This morning, when I started the car, it was -8°F!

phesina
01-21-2020, 02:47 PM
We in Alberta are in the middle of another Polar Vortex. Here are today and tonight's temperatures in Fahrenheit.

Now (10:50 a.m.) -25°<abbr title="Fahrenheit">F Wind Chill </abbr>-33

Tonight: Low minus 41. Wind chill minus 39 this evening and minus 47 overnight. Frostbite in minutes. (This is also in degrees F)

Thursday isn't much better - that's when a bunch of us carriers deliver the local newspaper. I invested in boots that are waterproof and rated to -40 (same temp on both scales).

YIKES!

How are you doing in Alberta now, Candace? I hope you and kitties are keeping cozy!

How did the newspaper delivery go, and I hope your boots kept your tootsies warm. How often does the paper come out, with more deliveries to do, whatever the weather may be?

Sending along warm hugs and purrrrrs your way!

CatGirl13
01-22-2020, 01:27 AM
In Korea, where I am right now, there is no snow. It’s actually quite warm here. It’s sunny and just a little chilly. :D

CatGirl13
01-22-2020, 01:30 AM
Right now it is 44 degrees Fahrenheit and rainy. No snow!

Karen
01-22-2020, 10:16 AM
Wow, sounds nice! It is 26°F here, at the base of the mountain, so much warmer than yesterday, but still below freezing!

Felicia's Mom
01-22-2020, 03:41 PM
Here it is snowing and it is supposed to snow Thursday and Friday too.

Karen
02-07-2020, 05:12 PM
This has been a storm with something for everyone - it started as sleet, then ice, then rain, then torrential rain, then within an hour switched back to snow, and has been snowing heavily. We have not budged today, after I slid across busy Route 30 yesterday, and the road conditions have continued to deteriorate.

(I am fine, Ruby the car is fine. There was no traffic coming from the right, and the person coming from my left saw me and turned up Windham Hill Road (which is what I slid down) and avoided hitting me, and I was able to make it safely into the parking lot across the street - which was my destination anyway.)

It has gotten progressively colder over the course of the storm, and tomorrow night is supposed to go down to -4° F, even though the current temperature of 20°F feels cold enough.

Karen
02-27-2020, 04:47 PM
Today has been a pretty remarkable day weatherwise - the day began at 40°+ F, and with torrential rain. Then it changed to heavy snow, but as the ground was frozen the rain had had nowhere to go, so then when it changed to sleet and rain again, it was all several inches of slush on the ground. The road I live on is a dirt road, so the last unseasonably warm days had turned the frozen road into an inch of mud over frozen ground, so add three inches or so of slush on top of that, and it makes for challenging, treacherous driving. Even the paved roads were slush covered and slick. Then it changed back to rain, then sun, and now gale-force winds and dropping temperatures! I probably went through three different "climate zones" on the way to work, and am in another one entirely now! It is down to 26°F now, and so well below freezing, even without factoring in the wind chill, which is considerable.

One of the elders came in to the Post Office and said this is the craziest winter he has ever seen in the over 50 years he has lived in Vermont. He knows whereof he speaks, and is north on 90, age wise. He worries climate change will destroy Vermont's ski areas, and this winter is a sign of things to come.

fghoieks
05-16-2020, 12:49 PM
This spring has been very cold everywhere. What is more frustrating is sharp temperature fluctuations. Such considerable changes in temperature are not good for many people suffering from heart diseases and blood pressure jumps. I am from the US, 972 area code (https://areaphonecodes.com/united-states/972). All these warnings about climate change are true, unfortunately. They will happen worldwide.

Vette
05-19-2020, 01:14 PM
Been 10° colder than our average for this time of the year for the past couple of weeks with lots of rain earning us 53° in the day an cold enough to see your breath at night.
feels kinda like winters on the way instead of leaving

Karen
05-21-2020, 11:20 AM
Finally it seems like spring - or summer - here! 64°F and bright sun at last!

Vette
06-22-2020, 09:26 PM
Finally seeing 80° for the first time this year :D

mon
06-23-2020, 12:12 AM
Like the first day of summer here. Surrey B.C. Muggy, perfect weather actually. I am not phsycic but something tells me....it's gonna be a loooong hot summer when it finally arrives. ❤️🌺

mon
06-23-2020, 01:15 AM
P.s. Huge shout out to Karen, thank you for every little thing! Had the best day, went for an hr. long walk. It was beautiful, haven't been out for 3 months. I'm solitary by nature but I need to get out more. Krickey! I have masks, no reason to stay all holed up in my home eh 🤓😎

Karen
06-23-2020, 03:15 PM
It is hot and humid here today, we finally had a nice rainstorm - then it went right back to hot and humid ten minutes later!

Vette
06-26-2020, 05:13 PM
85° today an several wild daises have popped up in the field. another definite sign that summer has started here

Vette
06-28-2020, 10:29 AM
... an its just barely even 70° this morning LOL
hopefully it warms up a bit more later on

Vette
07-22-2020, 11:42 PM
Not very cold here today or for the up coming week. actually broke out my portable AC today LOL
its going to get into the mid 90s for a while.

cassiesmom
09-28-2020, 09:39 PM
I'm in the western suburbs of Chicago where the forecast is calling for highs in the low 60s F this week. That's a little lower than usual for late September - early October in Chicago. Last year we had snow on Halloween and Veterans' Day- I hope that won't happen again this year.

Vette
09-28-2020, 11:48 PM
Woke up to it being 30°F here. can tell winter is on the way -well...maybe- supposed to get to 80°F for October 1st to the 11th. kind of hoping they wrong on that. i just put away my portable AC :p

cassiesmom
10-07-2020, 10:35 PM
Woke up to it being 30°F here. can tell winter is on the way -well...maybe- supposed to get to 80°F for October 1st to the 11th. kind of hoping they wrong on that. i just put away my portable AC :p

Here in Chicago they're saying a low of 40°F tonight, but then up to 80°F Friday and Saturday. We haven't had a frost yet, but there have been some unusually cool nights and days for early October.

cassiesmom
02-16-2022, 11:43 AM
Well... it's 45F (7C) in my part of Chicago today. We are supposed to get heavy rain starting later today and heavy, wet snow tomorrow.

phesina
02-16-2022, 08:58 PM
Best wishes with that storm, Elyse! Sounds like it's really going to be something. It's heading here after it hits you guys.

Keep safe and warm!

Karen
02-17-2022, 04:12 PM
And eventually to us, stay safe everyone!

I quite dislike this new "let's name every major storm in winter like we do for hurricanes." What do you think?

cassiesmom
02-17-2022, 09:46 PM
Best wishes with that storm, Elyse! Sounds like it's really going to be something. It's heading here after it hits you guys.

Keep safe and warm!

Update: I don't think it was as bad as it could have been. It poured down rain yesterday evening. But then it stopped, and the temperature dropped slowly through the day today. The roads were dry and not icy when I went to work this morning. It was cloudy but dry until mid-afternoon and the snow we got was not the wet, heavy stuff that was predicted. It doesn't seem to have snowed as much either. My drive home from work was slow, which gave me some time to think and to sing along with the radio. So I believe Mother Nature cut us some slack today.

Karen
02-18-2022, 04:32 PM
We lost electricity from about 3:30 in the morning until an hour ago at the farm. That means no well either, as it's an electric pump - thankfully we had some bottled water for the animals, and the house stayed relatively warm. It was due to the winds more than anything else apparently. Now the Arctic cold is settling back in. Stay warm, and safe everyone!