PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of showing Basil!

NoahsMommy
01-02-2003, 12:59 PM
There is a cat show out here on the 11th and they have a household pet category. I am thinking about showing Basil. Any ideas, thoughts?

Has anyone here shown their cats?

moosmom
01-02-2003, 01:02 PM
Noahsmommy,

I've shown MooShoo, Maya Linn and Faberge in the household pet category. It's a blast! You meet so many cool people. MooShoo after almost a year now has reached regal status. Maya Linn was Best Household Pet Kitten 13th Nationally, which is a big deal. It's fun but is a little expensive. I have TONS of ribbons. I'm proud of my kitties. Good luck! I know you'll enjoy it.

NoahsMommy
01-02-2003, 01:06 PM
MoosMom...

Great! Moo is such a neat kitty, of course he's regal! :) Did he enjoy it do you think?

Regarding the shows...do we have to bring one of those cages? What else do we bring? I sent an email with a ton of questions and haven't heard back, so any help would be wonderful.

Uabassoon
01-02-2003, 01:07 PM
I was planning on showing Zasper and I had her entered and everything, but then she passed away. After that showing just sort of left my mind. Maybe I should think about showing Tibby, she seems to do well in strange places. In the house she's shy but if I take her to the vet she is so lovey with everyone. Corkscrew is the total opposite, at home he isn't afraid of strangers but at the vet he is so scared of everyone.

All Creatures Great And Small
01-02-2003, 01:08 PM
Refresh my memory for me - which one is Basil? Is he the grey/Korat kitty? Whichever, I think you should go ahead and show him, it would probably be a blast! I've never been to an actual cat show, but I like going to state/county fairs and watching the kids in 4H show their kitties. Can you show all of your kitties? (Hmm - that might be tricky, logistically - maybe you should just start with Basil and see how it goes!:p )

moosmom
01-02-2003, 01:13 PM
Noahsmommy,

You'll need a set of cage curtains. They provide the cages and sometimes even litter. Don't forget to register early. They have registration deadlines.

Cage curtains are very easy to make. You can also buy them at the cat show from vendors although they can be expensive $70+.

They're very easy to make. You only need 4 1/2 yards total of material. 1 1/2 yards for the top, 2 yards for the back and another 1/2 yard for the table top. That's it.

You'll need to bring with you their vaccination paperwork, food dishes, a favorite small kitty mat or bed, a jar of turkey babyfood (I'll get to that in a minute) and a wand teaser and some catnip.

Basil will be given a number in the household pet category. You will need to now if what his color is (orange with white, tiger tabby, etc.) When you call to register they can help you with that. You'll also need to provide his date of birth (cat's must be at least 6 months old and have their vaccinations up to date).

Benching (having Basil there in the cage and ready to be judged) begins usually about an hour before the public is allowed in. Always make sure you have hand sanitizer with you in case someone wants to pet your cat. If you PM me with your phone number and address, I can call you and answer any other questions you might have. I will also send you a sign "Please Do Not Touch Cats". People can be very curious and just stick their hands in the cage without asking.

NoahsMommy
01-02-2003, 01:30 PM
Darn!!! :( I just got an email from the company that is handling the show....no household pet category after all. :( That's pretty annoying, considering it was on the application...

Maybe next time....

Now that I want to do it, does anyone have any good resources for shows that DO allow household cats to be shown?

NoahsMommy
01-02-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by All Creatures Great And Small
Refresh my memory for me - which one is Basil? Is he the grey/Korat kitty? Whichever, I think you should go ahead and show him, it would probably be a blast! I've never been to an actual cat show, but I like going to state/county fairs and watching the kids in 4H show their kitties. Can you show all of your kitties? (Hmm - that might be tricky, logistically - maybe you should just start with Basil and see how it goes!:p )
Yes, Basil is the grey Korat kitty. :)

As for showing all of them...I don't think the others have the personality to tolerate it. Noah would bite, Noel would hide and poor Olivia wouldn't enjoy it. Basil's the only one that would enjoy all the attention away from home.

Russian Blue
01-02-2003, 02:05 PM
I have heard many great things from people who show their cats in the household category.

First off, it's a great way to make new friends, get some free stuff, and just have a great time. Also, I heard people really like the household category because it is more layed back and no stress.

I would love to show Nakita. She is great with visitors in the house, but I don't think she could adjust to all the noises and smells of a cat show.

If you get a chance, go for it! And of course let us know how it turns out. Check your local cat association for shows in your area. They will have a lot of info and advice!

;)

All Creatures Great And Small
01-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Russian Blue - LOVE the new sig pic! You just can't take a bad picture of Nakita, can you? What a character!!!:D

I know my kitty would never be able to be shown, because he LOATHES being held, and is afraid of most strangers, especially men. That's what I found so funny about some of the 4H shows, that these are just regular pet kitties, many of whom DON'T want to be there, and they do not all comport themselves with the grace and dignity of seasoned show kitties. There were plenty of growlers, hissers, and "I'm-not-coming-out-of-this-carrier" entries. One entrant had to unscrew the top from the carrier, because it was the only way the judge could get a look at the vicious beastie inside! :D :p

NoahsMommy
01-02-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Russian Blue
Check your local cat association for shows in your area. They will have a lot of info and advice!

;)
OK, I did a yahoo search for "cat association california" and I had not much luck. Any other ideas?

Cataholic
01-02-2003, 02:57 PM
Let's see...first, you can show Basil to me! He he he..

Second, my experience, which has been limited to 4-5 shows here in Cincinnati, while entertaining, and lovely to look at...I have NOT found the people to be very nice, friendly, excited, etc. I feel like I am bothering them with my interest in their cats, and I find them kind of ugh, snobby, sorry!!! But, that is just one person's experience, right? I will admit the same thing when it is dog shows,too.

Russian Blue
01-02-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by All Creatures Great And Small
Russian Blue - LOVE the new sig pic! You just can't take a bad picture of Nakita, can you? What a character!!!:D

Thank you!! This pic really had me laughing and is my favourite!! But yes, Nakita does sometimes have a really "bad" hair day! I just use a digital camera and erase those pics!

;)

Russian Blue
01-02-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy

OK, I did a yahoo search for "cat association california" and I had not much luck. Any other ideas?

Check here:

Cat Fanciers Association (http://www.cfanorthwest.org/)

Or here:

More Info (http://www.fanciers.com/)

You can just email around and ask the various associations.

Uabassoon
01-02-2003, 03:32 PM
I'm on the CFA list serve and I get emails all the time for shows in California.

NoahsMommy
01-02-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
I'm on the CFA list serve and I get emails all the time for shows in California.
Cool, I'll try that. Thanks!

rosethecopycat
01-02-2003, 06:18 PM
I think Basil and Nakita should both win hands down!:D

I'm sorry that show doesn't have his category. Someday one will. Meanwhile you have the chance to get it all together. And I think you should try handling Basil as a judge would. They stretch them and dangle them and virtually treat them like "play-doh" at least the short haired oriental types. The cobby kitties are treated with more, let's say, finesse. I really get a kick out of the judge wrapping those cats around their arms like a noodle.

Do you think that Basil can handle that?:p

moosmom
01-02-2003, 06:23 PM
Cataholic,

You are absolutely right when you say that they can be snobby. When I show MooShoo, he actually creates a crowd around his cage. People are so fascinated by him. They'd call him the "Mr. Bigglesworth Cat". I never had a problem letting people pet and touch Moo, providing they sanitize their hands first. Since spectators often pet more than once cat, you can never tell what disease may be lurking. I encourage it because people are always curious about these unique cats. Come on over to Michigan, you can pet Moo all you want :D

Noahsmommy,

http://www.trutails.com/Pages/CageCurtains.htm

Here's the link I was telling you about. I'm sorry that they don't have household pet categories. I know CFF does. CFA are one of the snobbier associations in that they're all breeders with purebred cats. Associations like the Cat Fanciers Federation and AACE (American Association of Cat Enthusiasts) encourage household pets. When cats are placed, they actually ask the cat's owners to come up and tell the spectators about the history of their cats (where they were rescued, etc.). I'm going to see if there are any other associations you can show with. No household pet category - BAH!!!! Our furbabies are just as good, even BETTER than their prissy-ass purebreds anyday :mad: .

moosmom
01-02-2003, 06:35 PM
Noahsmommy,

Here's a link that lists all the cat associations. I hope you find one that will allow you to show Basil.

http://www.ticastephens.org/fanciers.htm

moosmom
01-02-2003, 06:52 PM
Well now that you've succeeded in putting the "show bug" back into me, I called the CFA that is sponsoring a cat show here in Dearborn on the 25th and 26th of January.

I asked the woman if they had a household pet category and she said yes. Then I asked her if they accepted the Munchkin breed and she said no. :eek: So, it's between Maya Linn and MooShoo.

What do ya think??? Moo does very well as he loves people and adores being the center of attention. Maya on the other hand has become a little witch (with a "B") lately so I'm not sure she'd do well.

The registration fee is $45. I haven't shown anyone in over a year but it's so much fun. And I do miss it.

krazyaboutkatz
01-02-2003, 07:37 PM
Kelly, too bad this show doesn't accept the housecat category. Maybe you can start showing Basil after you move closer to me. I think that most of the catshows that I've been to have had this category. I'd love to see Basil in a cat show. All 3 of mine wouldn't like it. Storm would be the best out of the 3 since he loves people and is very social but he'll be 7 soon and I'd hate to stress him out. I think that Basil is the perfect age to start showing. Good luck. :)

Felicia's Mom
01-02-2003, 08:46 PM
I hope you get to show Basil. I had fun when I showed Beau.

AmberLee
01-02-2003, 08:59 PM
So far, all the TICA shows I've been to have had a household pets section, but the Cat Fanciers Association usually doesn't. (Maybe it's been coincidence, though?)

The TICA group here has a mini-show for only household pets, seems like it was near Monterey back in November.

Good luck! I don't think Livvy or Cassy would enjoy it, even though I have a blast at the shows. (Heck, there were few photos of Livvy when KAK came over to take the Christmas photos cause she freaked and retreated under the bed for quite a while.)

One of the things I enjoy at the shows are the 'themes' that people decorate their cages in: sometimes the show colors, or if they are breeders something that goes with their names. Once someone set up their cage to look like a jewelbox and the cats were their jewels. Ages ago on another board, a woman picked an Oreo theme to set off her cat's color... but I don't remember the details now. Sounds like fun. Keep us informed.

NoahsMommy
01-03-2003, 03:09 PM
Thank you everyone for the links....I've saved them all to my favorites and will check them often. Thank you! :D

neko1
01-03-2003, 03:26 PM
I have a couple of questions, do they allow specific breeds in the household cat competition? How about if they are spayed or neutered, or declawed for that matter?

I'd love to show off Tama-He's my beauty!

moosmom
01-03-2003, 03:38 PM
In the Household Pet category, the cat MUST be spayed or neutered. They do not allow declawed cats. Any breed that is not show quality (MooShoo for instance that has poor eyes or my American Curl that doesn't have the 3rd degree curl of the ears) would do better in Household Pets. Any kind of cat can be shown (with the exception of the Munchkin which is only allowed in certain associations). I COULD have shown MooShoo in purebred but I knew that his eyes would be counted against him. Especially if there were other Sphynxes there with perfect eyes.

NoahsMommy
01-03-2003, 04:31 PM
Moosmom,

Just so I get what you are saying....we can show ANY cat? As long as it had been fixed and wasn't declawed, right?

How do they judge them? Breed-wise? Age?

What if they have twenty cats and they are all different breeds (or unrecognized breeds). What do they do then?