PDA

View Full Version : Vet Techs

NoahsMommy
01-02-2003, 12:56 PM
Is anyone here a vet tech or work in a vet's office?

Can you tell me about your jobs? My hubby and I are moving in June and I need to find a new job. I am considering working in a vets office, something less stressful and flexible so that I can still go to school at night/day.

Thank you!! :D

Cataholic
01-02-2003, 02:28 PM
Hi Noahsmommy,
I know we have several vet techs on here, so, they can respond to that, but, where are you six moving to? Why?

NoahsMommy
01-02-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Hi Noahsmommy,
I know we have several vet techs on here, so, they can respond to that, but, where are you six moving to? Why?
We are moving in June to Sacramento so that I can go to UC Davis...yay!

Timing sure is everything...about that time, my position need to move to our Bakersfield office...and I sure am NOT!! (no offense to anyone who lives there, its just not for me...) It is actually quite a blessing, this will allow me to find a job that I would actually enjoy...something that calls to my heart. I am looking at a lot of social services/mental health options too. But I would love to work with animals, so we'll see.

I'm really interested in what training I'll need to have and salary information for the vet tech position...

jenluckenbach
01-02-2003, 04:19 PM
I am not a vet tech, I am a pet groomer, but I really would not concider a job at a vet "less stressful". Each and every minute may not be stressful, but the emergencies, the life/death issues, the shear volume of people and animals coming and going....................etc. I am by no means condemning the job, but don't fool yourself about the stress factor. A simple day with a dog that barks for 4 hours without stopping is stressful. (trust me). So now I will shut up and let those who actually work at a vet's take over.

neko1
01-02-2003, 05:02 PM
I'm a tech (with a sprained wrist at the moment). Yes the job is very stressful! There are times when we are slow (we treasure them!!) but most of the time we are busting our butts. But since I love working with animals, it's so completely worth it. My only major concern is my back, I have a very bad back and quite an extensive history of disc problems. But I have learned not to lift anything I don't feel comfortable with. Most of our clients are nice, although we have a few loonies and jerks. Most of the animals are well behaved, we only have a few instances of dogs trying to rip us apart and cats trying to eat our fingers.
Please feel free to pm me if you wanna talk more (my wrist is killing me from writing this!!)

-michelle

mel55smiles
01-02-2003, 05:51 PM
I AGREE WITH NEKO!
I AM NOT A VET TECH AS I AM ONLY THIRTEEN BUT I VOLUNTEER WITH A VET, AND IT IS STRESSFUL EXSPECIALLY WITH ALL THE EMERGENCIES WE GET BUT THE JOB IS REWARDING, HOPE I WAS ANY HELP TO YA!!

luckies4me
01-02-2003, 11:30 PM
I am a tech (currently not working, go back February hopefully!!) and it can be stressful but the rewards often outweigh the gloom. It is a High paced job, with duties needing to be met in a timely mannr. The job in itself is easy, it's dealing with the owners which is the hard part. :rolleyes:

Davis is a GREAT school! I had always wanted to go there, but after moving to Oregon I had to settle with State instead. Great school but Davis was dear to my heart as I knew the head proefessor for animal studies. He has passed away.....

As far as salary, we don't make much. It usually runs between 24 to 30 thousand if you are lucky. But for a young personif can support you. As far as traing you need to first get your requisits and then you can start taking your pre vet classes. It wouldn't hurt to have already taken foreign language, math and biology either. ;) You MUST be able to stand the sight of blood, and to work on dead animals. Learning is fun. Hopefully you will get a great professor, finish your four year, take the state exam and then do an internship. Before you get your license, you can apply to a hospital as an assistant/tech assistant to get you on the ball before your schooling is over, and this will offer you hands on training.

You need to have lots of patience!!!! I would start out in a small clinicn, who only does small animals and maybe branch off a bit into exotics and livestock later. ER is not for beginners, lol. VERY VERY stressful!

You also need to know how to fold laundry well, STAT! Oh and also be careful to not burn yourself on the autoclave.......long story!:p

NoahsMommy
01-03-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by luckies4me
As far as salary, we don't make much. It usually runs between 24 to 30 thousand if you are lucky. But for a young personif can support you. As far as traing you need to first get your requisits and then you can start taking your pre vet classes. It wouldn't hurt to have already taken foreign language, math and biology either. ;) You MUST be able to stand the sight of blood, and to work on dead animals. Learning is fun. Hopefully you will get a great professor, finish your four year, take the state exam and then do an internship. Before you get your license, you can apply to a hospital as an assistant/tech assistant to get you on the ball before your schooling is over, and this will offer you hands on training.

You need to have lots of patience!!!! I would start out in a small clinicn, who only does small animals and maybe branch off a bit into exotics and livestock later. ER is not for beginners, lol. VERY VERY stressful!

You also need to know how to fold laundry well, STAT! Oh and also be careful to not burn yourself on the autoclave.......long story!:p

Thanks for the info....veterinary medicine is actually not my major....this was sort of an idea for a job while I earn my BA & PhD in pyschology. I know UC Davis has an excellent program for vets though... :)

I HATE the site of blood...and I hate any evasive stuff. I started thinking last night about all the things my vet techs do at our vet and I know I couldn't do it...

I am leaning more towards my major...something in a children's home or mental health facility.

Thank you all for your help!! :D