PDA

View Full Version : Parliament Hill in Ottowa

trinity
01-02-2003, 11:56 AM
First off, I hope I spelled Ottowa right...

On the evening news last week they did a story about the 81 year old gentleman who is keeping a promise. He made a promise to someone on her deathbed that he would take care of the cats on Parliament Hill in Ottowa. There are 28 cats (they are the descendants of the original mousers) and he takes care of them with money donated by tourists and out of his own pension. He is, due to his own age, looking to find someone to take over and keep the promise...anybody know anyone who might be able to do this?

NoahsMommy
01-02-2003, 11:58 AM
What a wonderful man! If I lived closer, I'd be there in a second!

All Creatures Great And Small
01-02-2003, 12:00 PM
Here's a link to the story on ABC news - I'm going to go back and read it now!
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/DailyNews/cats_parliamenthill021224.html

trinity
01-02-2003, 12:08 PM
I was just about to post that link myself...I found another article that said the government DOES provide $6000 a year for the sanctuary but according to the news they don't...someone is confused. Maybe a Pet Talker in that area can provide the real info. I would love to know if there is an address where donations can be sent.

NoahsMommy
01-02-2003, 01:12 PM
What a great story...what a great man....if anyone can find an address, I would love to send a card and a donation.

Russian Blue
01-02-2003, 01:54 PM
I met Rene Chartrand (the cat man) of Parliament Hill in Ottawa. This was 5 years ago and he is the most dedicated man and has quite the set up for the cats!! If your ever in Ottawa, Canada go have a look!

Here is another link with pics of the cats and their houses:

Parliament Hill Cats (http://www.occdsb.on.ca/~sel/cyberpal/cats.htm)

I just sent an email to see where donations can be sent. I'll let you know if/when I get a reply.

:D

kimlovescats
01-02-2003, 11:51 PM
What a beautiful story ... thanks so much for sharing this! So nice to hear some good news now and then!!!

smokey the elder
01-03-2003, 08:18 AM
Rene Chartand is officially a wonderful human being.:)

Russian Blue
01-23-2003, 10:43 AM
I tried getting a contact address to place a donation through the Government of Canada's website. My request was then forwarded to Brian Caines, the man mentioned in the ABC News story (see above, the post by All Creatures Great and Small) .

Brian visits the cats and Rene Chartrand (the catman) on his lunch break. Here is what the email said:

__________________________________________________ _
Thank you for your request for information regarding making a donation to Rene. The easiest way to do it is to send it directly to Rene. It would be easier for Rene if the donations were made in cash as he doesn't often deal with the bank. All donations made to him are used to buy "wet" food for the cats. Dried food is donated by Ralston-Purina and by a very kind gentleman who occasionally drops by Parliament Hill with many bags of food.

Today is -25 degrees Celsius (about -18 Fahrenheit I think!!) and I visited the colony at noon and sure enough Rene was there!! He has not missed a day in over 15 years and he's just turned 81!! What dedication.

I have attached a link to a site that someone has put up
on the Cats of the Hill which I hope you will enjoy. Maybe some day you'll make it to Ottawa again (anytime but the dead of winter!!) and you'll be able to enjoy the sites of Canada's capital city and a visit with the cats. They love tourists.

With thanks and with best wishes for 2003.

Brian Caines
__________________________________________________ __

Just wanted to pass this along!! If you would like to make a donation, please PM me and I'll give it to you.

;)

Russian Blue
01-23-2003, 06:44 PM
****Bump****

NoahsMommy
01-23-2003, 08:16 PM
You can also send donations/cards through the local Humane Society:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19401

What a great guy! :)

catlady1945
01-23-2003, 10:18 PM
We have been to Parliament Hill to see the cats. They have a donation box there as well, if anyone is passing by. It is really heart-warming to see such dedication to our kitty friends.