PDA

View Full Version : Bringing dogs from Canada into US. Paperwork?

Rottie
05-23-2001, 02:41 PM
I got an email today from someone who is moving from Canada to the US with their Rottweiler and Rott/Am Staff mix.

Both of their dogs have been wormed, and have all their vaccinations and are in "top health".

He was going to drive over the border with all his stuff & the dogs. He wanted to know what kind of paperwork they would need to bring the dogs and if there were any restrictions on bringing dogs like Rotts & AmStaffs into the US (specifically somewhere around New Jersey).

I have no idea and I would like to help him, so if you have any information, please post. Thanks!

------------------
-Rottie

Enjoy your dog while you have it, because they don't last forever.

[This message has been edited by Rottie (edited May 23, 2001).]

Karen
05-23-2001, 06:17 PM
This is from the CDC (Center for Disease Control)'s website:

Domestic dogs must be free of evidence of diseases communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry. If the animal is
not in apparent good health, further examination by a licensed veterinarian may be required at the owner's expense.

Dogs must be vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days before entering the United States. This requirement does not apply,
however, to puppies less than three months of age or to dogs originating or located for at least six months in areas designated by
the U.S. Public Health Service as being rabies-free.

The following procedures pertain to dogs arriving from areas that are not free of rabies:

A valid rabies vaccination certificate should accompany the animal. This certificate should be in English or be accompanied
by a translation. It should identify the animal, the dates of vaccination and expiration, and be signed by a licensed
veterinarian. If no expiration date is specified, the certificate is acceptable if the date of vaccination is no more than 12
months before the date of arrival.

If a vaccination has not been performed, or if the certificate is not valid, the animal may be admitted if it is confined
immediately upon arrival at a place of the owner's choosing. The dog must be vaccinated within four days after arrival at
the final destination, but no more than 10 days after arrival at the port of entry. The animal must remain in confinement for
at least 30 days after being vaccinated.

If the vaccination was performed less than 30 days before arrival, the animal may be admitted but must be confined at a
place of the owner's choosing until at least 30 days have passed since the vaccination.

Young puppies must be confined at a place of the owner's choosing until they are three months old, then they must be
vaccinated. They must remain in confinement for 30 days.

Rottie
05-23-2001, 09:13 PM
Thank you so much Karen! I really appreciate it! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

------------------
-Rottie

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/010/Kg/Fr/vi/m895429.jpg