PDA

View Full Version : Dry kitten food

Doug_FL
11-27-2019, 08:07 PM
I'm wondering if I should stay with Iams kitten food or buy something else for the 6 month old pussy cat I just adopted. He does not seem to be a fussy eater.
So, what ever I put in his bowl he will eat. Vet suggested cation in regard to over feeding, with my maybe kitty getting over weight. I have never had a pet get
over weight.

Usually the problem was gettin' em to eat. Anyway, I'm looking at Purina one, Meow Mix, Special Kitty & Hills Science (all kitten). Maybe others as well. I wanna
give my little guy what's best for him.

cats4ever
11-28-2019, 07:24 AM
Iams kitten food is not a bad choice, but Iams has been linked to obesity problems in pets. Maybe your vet was referring to that.
I have always raised my kittens on Purina, and they did great, and, like you, I have never had an overweight cat.
Now they're are all seniors, and they're eating Purina One dry and canned Fancy Feast, except my 18 yr old who's on a kidney diet.
It's hard to overfeed a kitten since they are so active.
I guess your kitten is neutered. This slows down their metabolism, and overfeeding can make them overweight.
Do you free-feed, or have set meal times?

Doug_FL
11-29-2019, 01:17 PM
I free feed my kitty cat.

cats4ever
11-29-2019, 05:42 PM
Once you transition him to adult food, you might want to change to set meal times.
Other than the possible inconvenience factor, it has only advantages.

phesina
11-29-2019, 08:01 PM
Yes, giving him set amounts of food at set times of the day is the best way to keep him from getting overweight!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love: