PDA

View Full Version : Cats and fireworks :(

Randi
12-31-2002, 04:42 PM
It's not even 24.00 o'clock here and it sounds like downtown Beirut! The worst will of course be after midnight. We're 10 min. (on a bike) from the city center in Copenhagen, so it's really loud everywhere! Some are using crysanthemum bombs (that's what they're called here). I wish we could get a pill for Fister which would block out noise for about 3 hours! I went to check on Pjevs in the backyard and brought some shrimps, but he was gone. :( All these poor cats and dogs, they must be terrified! If only people would be a little more considerate!

Cataholic
12-31-2002, 05:24 PM
Oh, how awful. I hate the 4th of July here, that is when the fireworks are the worse. Fortunately, it is usually too cold in Ohio in January for fools to be out with the fireworks. Poor Fister. Soon it will be all over! I hope Pjevs is ok...why can't he come in your house again?

NaplesLex
01-01-2003, 01:28 AM
I was lucky. The new year came and went without so much a bang. It has been pouring here in FL. Those fireworks might get put to use tomorrow night instead.... :rolleyes:

Alexis <><

wayne0214
01-01-2003, 04:30 AM
It sounded like a war zone out here with all the fire arms going off. Of course, my furkids were on top of the bed and table and then ran under the bed at midnight. I had never seen so many cats scurry under a bed all at once. But at least they had a place they felt safe under. Yet, they all came out a few minutes later.:)

.........wayne

Barbara
01-01-2003, 05:08 AM
At 11.30 p.m. I could see poor Filou sneaking upstairs flat like a lizard. He hid under our bed and I put the blinds down, something I never do in general. So at least he couldn't see them. Tigris also was under another bed.
At about 1 a.m. when it was more quiet they got an extra rate of malt paste to give them a little more confidence in this loud world. They spent all night on the bed, even close together something which is not often seen these days.:(

Barbara
01-01-2003, 05:10 AM
Randi can you tell us how Pjevs is? I was worried here for all the animals outside:mad:

ChrisH
01-01-2003, 06:58 AM
Our country is getting a lot of rain too, but last night was dryish, at least where I live, so people could let off all the fireworks they wanted. And they wanted!:rolleyes:
I was 99.9% certain Bob would be okay but how would Ebby be? I had checked up on her about an half hour before midnight and she was in my bedroom sleeping. When the fireworks began I went to check again. Looked in my bedroom, no Ebby, her room, not in her hidey holes, nowhere to be seen, :eek: movement from behind the curtains, there she was, on the windowsill, watching!! What a brave girl!:) :)

Chris

Randi
01-01-2003, 08:42 AM
Barbera, people will surely think I am crazy, but I know you'll all understand. After 24.00 o'clock I went out to the kitchen window to look for Pjevs again and he turned up in the yard. I let him in to the staircase and got some food, he was too frightened to eat outside. I was lucky to get him in just before the worst started - the kitchen staircase was reasonably quiet. He ate the food while I was stroking him and he had a good brushing which he enjoyed! :D I really felt he needed my comfort. It was past 1 o'clock when I let him out again - much more calm. :)

Fister hated the "hissing" rockets and hid under the bed, but came out soon after 24.30 and sat with John. :)

Barbara
01-01-2003, 08:57 AM
Ah, good to hear!

Edwina's Secretary
01-01-2003, 01:44 PM
Poor Fister and Pjevs! One 4th of July the people across the street had a party with fireworks. Edwina and I were NOT happy. She hated the noise and I was terrified (it appeared many were rather drunk) they would hurt someone or burn down my house (some flew on our roof!) I kept hoping the police would arrive as it was illegal but my husband didn't want me to "encourage" the arrival of the police. They don't live there anymore.

I love the color and display of professional fireworks (we saw two last night from out on Lake Michigan!) but I never understand how really loud noises is celebratory. Most incomprehensible is the shooting of guns to celebrate. What's THAT all about?????

rosethecopycat
01-01-2003, 03:33 PM
Most incomprehensible is the shooting of guns to celebrate. What's THAT all about????? [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey! tell me about it. I'm originally from Detroit.:mad:

Vio&Juni
01-02-2003, 05:04 AM
I live exactly in the center of Chisinau. Last year we had fireworks installed on our building too, this year only on the neighboor buildings. Juni got scared only at the first sound, then she watched them as excited as we did. Strange...
Lut, I was worried about you when I saw on Euronews what's happening in Belgium. Awful, it's a little too cold for floods in the winter. Glad you're ok :)