PDA

View Full Version : Giving cats an injection?

Randi
05-17-2019, 09:28 AM
I may be looking after two older cats (12 and 14) for a few days very soon. One of them needs an insulin injection, so I'm a little worried. :eek: The owner says she gives it in between the shoulder blades... kind of lift the skin of the neck and inject it there. It's apparently a little pencil-like syringe she uses.

Well, I plan to go and try it while the owner is there and hope it goes well.

Have any of you tried giving that kind of injections?

Trinityagain
05-17-2019, 01:20 PM
It is actually very easy. If you pull up the skin between the shoulder blades it makes a little "tent" and that is where the injection goes. I had to give my RB Zingo insulin for about 3 years before he passed away and it go to the point he didn't even notice...good luck!

phesina
05-17-2019, 01:59 PM
I've had to give such injections to cats over the years, and it's gone well once they and I get used to it.

That's the best way to learn it: do it while the owner is still around and can show you and watch you and coach you, and the cat can start getting used to you doing it.

Best wishes, Randi! You'll do fine.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Randi
05-17-2019, 02:20 PM
Thank you, I feel better now. The owner did say it's easy, but you know, when it's the first time... and actually, what worries me the most is that the cat doesn't know me.

Randi
05-25-2019, 09:59 AM
I forgot to ask the owner this... is it important to give the insulin before or after dinner? And does it matter if I give it one hour early or late?

I'm going over to visit the kitties in about an hour.

cats4ever
05-25-2019, 01:31 PM
It is very important that you give the insulin after dinner!
If you give it before, and the cat, for whatever reason doesn't eat, it can cause hypoglycemia, meaning the blood sugar becomes too low, also called insulin shock.
It can be deadly.
If the kitty doesn't eat, do not give the insulin and call the owner or vet about what to do. Sometimes a reduced dose of insulin can be given if the cat is not eating.
But I would not do it without the advice of a veterinarian.
An hour early or late shouldn't matter, as long the kitty had dinner.
I'm surprised that the owner didn't leave you instructions, since this can be a life-or-death situation!

Randi
05-25-2019, 02:18 PM
OMG! That sounds horrible. I gave the insulin right after dinner, she didn't eat a lot, so hope she'll be okay. I stayed for two hours and she ate a bit more an hour later, and seemed fine. She wanted to play, too. She even came up putting her paws on my legs when she licked a bit of catmalt off my finger. :)

I'm more worried about the other cat, a boy 12 years old boy, he stays under the bed most of the time, even when the owner is there. He did lick off some catmalt from my finger, but then hissed, so I gave him a little bit (pea size) on a plate and left the bedroom. It had disappeared soon after, but he didn't come out to eat his food while I was there. Will visit again tomorrow morning.

Thank you, Heidi. :)

cats4ever
05-25-2019, 02:50 PM
Sounds like you're doing everything right.