PDA

View Full Version : Plastic pollution

Randi
03-21-2019, 08:11 AM
Our planet is polluted to the extent that there are probably more plastic in the sea than fish. The fish we eat all have digested plastic, and some die in pain. :(

Companies produce junk that last for only a few years. These days many things are produced in countries that don't have a clue how to make quality products, or they do it om purpose, to make a bigger profit. Many of them also use child labour for very little pay. :(

While we are all told to not buy new things and throw away all the time, we don't have much choise, do we! Unless we can afford to buy expensive quality products. We should do, because they last three times as long.

On the bright side... I saw that some retired people had started a "Repair Cafe." I think that is a brilliant idea.

"Repair Café" is the place where you can come by and get different things repaired for free. We have 'fixes' for most things that people bring. Everyone there are volunteers and very skilled with their hands, they will do everything they can to help."

phesina
03-21-2019, 09:46 AM
Our planet is polluted to the extent that there are probably more plastic in the sea than fish. The fish we eat all have digested plastic, and some die in pain. :(

Companies produce junk that last for only a few years. These days many things are produced in countries that don't have a clue how to make quality products, or they do it om purpose, to make a bigger profit. Many of them also use child labour for very little pay. :(

While we are all told to not buy new things and throw away all the time, we don't have much choise, do we! Unless we can afford to buy expensive quality products. We should do, because they last three times as long.

On the bright side... I saw that some retired people had started a "Repair Cafe." I think that is a brilliant idea.

"Repair Café" is the place where you can come by and get different things repaired for free. We have 'fixes' for most things that people bring. Everyone there are volunteers and very skilled with their hands, they will do everything they can to help."

Thank you, Randi. You're absolutely right. Where is this Repair Café? That sure sounds like a good idea!

One of the worst offenders these days is the plastic drinking straw, to be used just once. Those are given out just about everywhere with cold drinks and are used just in that drink and then thrown away, to wind up in the oceans and lakes.

A couple of days ago in a local cafe, I actually got a drink with a straw made of some kind of thick paper! First and only time and place I've seen that before. Probably much more expensive to make those, so I don't expect we'll see many of them around any time soon.

Thanks again! :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Randi
03-21-2019, 10:43 AM
Thank you, Pat. There are apparently quite a few of these Repair Cafe's around, in different cities. One is very close to me. I only read about them recently. You can probably find some of them if you search.

On TV, there was a program about a whale they found with 40 kilos of plastic in its stomach, and other fish surely has quite a bit of it, too. I can imagine how painful that must be. :(
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/mar/18/dead-whale-washed-up-in-philippines-had-40kg-of-plastic-bags-in-its-stomach

So I hope everybody are thinking of this and trying to do their bit not to pollute the sea and other places.

Do you have bins for plastic only? I'm glad to say we have.

cats4ever
03-21-2019, 12:42 PM
Thank you, Pat. There are apparently quite a few of these Repair Cafe's around, in different cities. One is very close to me. I only read about them recently. You can probably find some of them if you search.

On TV, there was a program about a whale they found with 40 kilos of plastic in its stomach, and other fish surely has quite a bit of it, too. I can imagine how painful that must be. :(
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/mar/18/dead-whale-washed-up-in-philippines-had-40kg-of-plastic-bags-in-its-stomach

So I hope everybody are thinking of this and trying to do their bit not to pollute the sea and other places.

I know that in most of Europe, there are recycling bins for each material, e.g. glass (which is divided again into green, brown, clear), aluminum (a giant polluter in landfills), plastic, paper etc.
Here, in North Carolina, everything gets tossed into one recycling bin. I guess we should be happy to have recycling at all. And I know so many people who do NOT recycle. The garbage service provides free bins, so there's no excuse not to do it!

phesina
03-21-2019, 06:00 PM

Looks like there is a Repair Cafe in White Lake, Michigan, about 45 miles from me, taking place at the library there at particular dates and times. Next one Saturday April 06 - 10:00 AM - 12:30 PM (https://www.moneysmartweek.org/deniseharrisfiems/repair_cafe).

How sad and sickening about this whale, and all the other marine creatures that wind up ingesting that trash and then suffering.

We just have blue recycle bins for all kinds of recyclable materials. (And you should see some of the junk that people throw into them.)

Here's hoping for...

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love: