PDA

View Full Version : Is This Normal??

RockyRoad
12-30-2002, 11:05 PM
Normally I wouldn't create a thread like this, but I woke up today with some very strange pains. I wondert if it is normal for a 12-year-old to get these kind of pains.
First I woke up in a pool of sweat. I had a horrible stomach cramp as well. I have had more stomach aches than I can ever discribe and this one was the worst ever. I laid there for a few minutes supposing it was my appendix or something and would have it looked at when everyone was awake. But then my chest started to burn so hard, and I felt like I was gunna vomit. Luckily I did not. So I stumbled out of my bed and got to the doorway, when there I passed out for about 10 minutes.I finally made my way to the bathroom and sat there praying it would go away and that I would be okay. I seriously thought I was going to die. Later on I stumbled back to my room and it carried on. So I fell asleep somehow and woke up with a splitting headache. The chest pain was weaker and the cramp was gone, a little. Whenever I got up or moved, it would kill me. So I lyed(sp) there for the day watching boring shows. Then of course I got out here and decided to get some good Pet Talk vibes to cheer me up.
Is this normal for a 12-year-old? The doctors will be closed tomorrow(New Year's Eve) and the only place open is the emergency room. I honestly do not think it it is that serious, and neither do my parents. Even if it is, I have a deathly fear of the hospital since I took a very long trip there when I was 4 years old(of course for my stomach). So I know none of you are doctors(maybe) and I hate to ask this, but I was just wondering if all of this is serious enough for the emergency room and if a 12-year-old is supposed to have these pains and problems.(I didn't exaderate anything in this)

Desert Arabian
12-31-2002, 12:05 AM
:rolleyes:

All Creatures Great And Small
12-31-2002, 01:12 AM
Maybe you got into a bad deer carcass......do you live near the woods?

popcornbird
12-31-2002, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
:rolleyes:

I don't see what was the point in this annoyed face. She just asked a question, sheesh. :rolleyes:

FlopssyLadySally, I don't know what kind of pain you are experiencing, but if you are concerned about it, maybe you should see your doctor. Waking up in a pool of sweat is normally caused by having a fever at night. Do you a flu? Flu's may cause high temperature and that can cause sweating (I hate when that happens at night). You mentioned your stomach was hurting and you felt like throwing up. These symptoms remind me of a stomach flu, especially when you are experiencing sweating at the same time. Its winter, you may have gotten a flu/stomach flu. Take care of yourself, make sure you keep warm when outside, and avoid going close to people that are sick with a flu/cold.

If that's not the case, at this age when your hormones are gone crazy, it is common to experience muscular pain, etc. If this is the case, then it should be normal, but if you are concerned, I suggest visiting a doctor. When I was about 12 or 13, I awoke one morning to complete numbness, and a strange feeling. I have no clue what it was but it scared me SO BAD! I coudn't move I was so numb. I must have slept in the wrong position and that's what probably caused the numbness, but I assumed I'm going to die and was just so scared. Once I woke up, I was fine, but I dreaded going back to bed for the next 8 days! :eek: It was just such a scarey feeling. I tried to lift my arm and it fell. I tried to lift my leg and it fell. I got out of bed, stood up and tried to walk, I fell on my nose. It was just wierd. Its been many years now and I never had that wierdness again. I probably slept on my arm/leg and the blood circulation go messed up because of that, so I understand your fear. You mentioned you passed out. I have no clue what could have caused that, but I think you should go to the doctor as that is not normal. I hope you feel better soon.

luckies4me
12-31-2002, 01:24 AM
It could be growing pains or stress. Shortness of breath and chest pain is caused by stress, but you also sound like you have growing pains. My younger brother used to get them so bad ........and I mean bad!

I know this may sound funny, but could it be gas? Gas pains are torture and I know because I have a gastric colon (may be grose but who cares) and sometimes the pain is unbrearable.

I suggest you go to the doctors if you passed out. It may have seemed for more than ten minutes, but if you were out how do you know?

~*~*~*~

This mostly happens in pregnant women but I still get it once in awhile if I am dehydrated or whatever, I don't really know why it happens actually. But sometimes I will get really sweaty, and then blackout. Sweat drips off my body and then I lose my vision. You will always feel it comming on, or at least I do. It lasts for about 15 seconds and then I can see again. Maybe you are confusing a black out with a pass out? You also sound like you have have heartburn maybe? I know it sometimes makes me vomit, especially when I was pregnant, when it was the worst!!!:eek: I couldn't eat ANYTHING without getting acid comming up into my throat. I think your parents should be a bit more worried if you passed out, so no that is not normal.

You could also have an ovarian cyst, which is not that uncommon in girls your age, or perhaps if you are menstrating already you could have endometriosis too. GO to the doctors!

Desert Arabian
12-31-2002, 01:30 AM
Popcornbird: There is nothing wrong with this::rolleyes:
I see the point in the face, it is my reply indicating my opinion on the subject. You posted your thoughts/opinion, I posted mine. According to the text that face indicates that it is "sarcastic", not annoyed.

luckies4me
12-31-2002, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Luckies4me, what's endometriosis ? :confused:

What is it? It's hell!!!!!! It's what made me take forever to get pregnant and then lose a child! It's what makes me have to go through unncessary pain everytime I am on my period because you literally bleed into your gut! And every time you ovulate or menustrate you get more and more scar tissue. It can make you steril and unable to have kids.

Dylan was a blessing!!!

The only cure for it is to have a hyserectomy or menopause (when you stop getting periods) and I want to have another child so a hysterectomy is NOT an option! I will be getting a much needed surgery soon (was supposed to be in September but things happened) that could help my pain and also up my chances of ever concieving another child.

In rare cases the scar tissue can actually spred to the lungs!:eek: They can treat it with the birth control pill but I also do not like adding any weird stuff into my body so I chose to not have that also. I take vicadin everyday and it helps, however sometimes even Morphine doesn't take the pain away.........and well in my opinion morphine is a LOWSY pain killer! It does nothing besides make you feel like someone has laid a ton of bricks on your body!:rolleyes: So after the surgery and scar tissue is removed I should hopefully feel a lot better, and I can't wait!

It will be the first surgery I have had since I was 2 months old!! And of course, I don't remember that one, lol. I have been under but the thought of getting a tube inserted into your abdomen just freaks me out!:eek:

popcornbird
12-31-2002, 02:30 AM
Wow, that's scary! I'm so sorry you have to go through that Luckies4me. Hopefully God will give you another child, maybe even 2 or 3 or 4 more. I know you are a very loving mother and just adore Dylan. You would make a great mother to many other children. Hopefully you will get more.

If you're wondering where my post went, I went back to edit it and accidently deleted it :o so sorry about that! :o:o:o

12-31-2002, 07:59 AM
Britt , it could indeed be your hormons !! Age 12 ->13 and so is so typical ...!
Please take care and get better ! If you pass out again , GET A DOCTOR ASAP !!

COCatMama
12-31-2002, 08:33 AM
If you mean "passed out" as in fainted, you need to get to a Dr. Fainting is *never* a normal thing.

Dixieland Dancer
12-31-2002, 09:45 AM
If you don't think it's an emergency now then make an appointment for the beginning of the new year. You need to have a doctor determine what it may be. I pray it is nothing serious.

RockyRoad
12-31-2002, 11:00 AM
Ok thanks I will go check it out. Good thing I am feeling a bit better today, so I will definetly see. I was wrong about the doctor's not being open today. My mistake. :rolleyes: You might be right, it might be my hormones, how could I not have thought of that! BTW-Wow Luckies4me, that is scary!!
Yeah, I do get fevers and flus very often. I hope it is not that bad. Thanks to all (actually, most of) you for the tips! It was really the fainting that freaked me out. Well wish me luck I'm leaving for the Dr.!

12-31-2002, 11:33 AM
Good muck , sweet Britt !!! I hope you still will have lots of fun tonight !!:p :p :p

lovemyshiba
12-31-2002, 11:44 AM
I'm a little late in replying, but along with everyone else's suggestions, may I also ad panic or anxiety attacks as a guess.
I started having them in high school--I had to "get out" of whatever situation I was in, be it math class, or the dentist. I would experience chest pains, nausea, shortness of breath, sweating, cold hands, shaking and a very distinct feeling that I was going to die. It kept me in the house for a while last year, it was so bad. I had one experience where I almost passed out, but I got outside and didn't.
I pray that it's nothing serious, just your hormones. If it is something like an anxiety attack, they are not all in your head, and hopefully your doc will help you.
Let us know what happens please.

NoahsMommy
12-31-2002, 11:53 AM
Britt,
You are in my prayers. Please let us know what the doctor says.

Whomever put :rolleyes: in response to Britt's ailments, that was really mean. She's not feeling well and needs a doctor....If you have a problem with her, ingore this post, don't be immature.

RockyRoad
12-31-2002, 01:09 PM
Thanks Popcornbird & NoahsMommy!! :)
I went, and the doctor said I should take some medicine, Sudafed I think, for the headaches and sinuses he detected. He told me to lay down and come back in a few days to be checked out again. He too told me about the hormone stuff(it was kinda embarassing) and that it was probably that. Thank God! I also have a bit of a fever. I got some liquid medicine to drink for that. I guess I'll be okay for New Year's! Yay!;)

popcornbird
12-31-2002, 02:35 PM
Uh huh! Sinus! I hate when that happens! Just last month, I had so bad sinus that my head was clogged. I couldn't focus on anything, it was as if I could see but didn't know what I was looking at. It was awful. Sudafed should help but its a strong medicine, so take it as you need, but don't take too much. Its best to take it in the day because it gives you problems sleeping if you take it at night. Do what your doctor advised you.

YLL, I never said there was anything wrong with :rolleyes:, its the way you used it. Britt was asking a health question, she is not feeling well and wanted suggestions on what it might be. You said I posted my opinion and you posted yours. :confused: I posted what I thought it may be, you didn't say anything but :rolleyes:. That is very insulting to the person who is posting, especially when she is posting something that has to do with health issues. Go get some maturity, please, and don't pick on other kids. :rolleyes:

ChrisH
12-31-2002, 03:34 PM
Britt, I have only just seen your post. Glad you got to see the doc and are feeling better. Just be sure to go back and see him in few days like he said, okay? And please keep us posted.
You take care.

Happy New Year!:)

Chris.

NoahsMommy
12-31-2002, 03:38 PM
I'm glad it was "just" a sinus thing...that really can be horrible. I take Allegra daily to control my allergies...guess it doesn't help having four cats huh? :D

Just rest, relax and go back if you aren't feeling any better.

Take care.

lovemyshiba
12-31-2002, 04:54 PM
Glad to hear you went to the doc, and that it is something minor. I remember my stepmother calling the ambulance for my father one morning--he felt so awful and dizzy they didn't know what to do. I worked where he did, so I reported him sick when I got there, and told the boss he went in the ambulance that morning--I was a wreck, and everyone kept asking me.
Turns out, it was an inner ear infection:o My dad was a little embarrassed, but we're glad he checked it out.

Make sure you follow up, and rest and feel better:D