PDA

View Full Version : Bad, Bad Week

teena
02-01-2001, 04:44 PM
I think I'm going to go home and pull the covers over my head. This is definitely one for the books. My hubby just called and told me that our vet committed suicide this morning. I am in shock and totally numb. He has been going thru a real bad divorce but I didn't think it was THAT bad. It is a terrible waste and a great loss to the animals in our area - he was a great man and so compassionate with my babies.

wolflady
02-01-2001, 05:21 PM
Teena,
So sorry to hear about your vet. That is terrible! I can't even imagine what someone must be going through to feel so low as to commit suicide! It's ashame that he didn't get some help. You never see it coming, either. My sister tried to do that, but deep down she must have realized that it was wrong and she ended up calling a friend, who, in turn called 911. She ended up getting 27 stiches in her wrist. I was so traumatized about the whole situation, not to mention all the worrying about her! She's doing better now, but it sure is a scary and disturbing thing to have to deal with. Especially when it's someone you know and someone who was good. That's definitely a loss to your community. It might take awhile, but I hope your numbness goes away soon!

Karen
02-01-2001, 05:47 PM
Our sympathies are with you, and all the pets he'd loved and helped. Depression is an awful, awful thing. Perhaps, when the times is right, you could set up a memorial of some sort to help animals in his memory? What a sad, sad day.

JKRJG24
02-01-2001, 06:11 PM
WoW! I'm sooooooo sorry!!! That is so sad!!!!

jackiesdaisy1935
02-01-2001, 06:25 PM
Hi Teena, so sorry to hear the terrible news. I think Karen had a wonderful idea of setting up a memorial maybe for the homeless animals in your area in his name. A great loss to your community and all the animals in it.

tatsxxx11
02-01-2001, 07:12 PM
Oh Teena, I'm so sorry. How sad. And what a tragic loss for his family, friends and for all those animals to whom he dedicated his life. I think Karen's idea is a wonderful one. I know you must feel awful. Thinking of you

lhg0962
02-01-2001, 08:39 PM
Teena,
I am so, so sorry. I think the idea of the memorial is a terrific idea.
I'm praying that things will be better soon.
Logan

RachelJ
02-01-2001, 08:58 PM
There just aren't words for something like this. What a loss!

Genia
02-01-2001, 11:00 PM
Teena, How truly sad. Any death is sad, but knowing that this man felt things were so bad and that his only option was suicide makes it harder. Bless his family. And for you. I'm so sorry. It's hard to find someone you are comfortable with and trust to do what's best for your beloved pets. You're in my thoughts.

shais_mom
02-02-2001, 12:24 AM
I am so sorry for your loss, I can't imagine.
Gentle hugs and kisses to all the furbabies and to those whose lives he touched.

AdoreMyDogs
02-02-2001, 08:16 AM
Wow Teena,

I am so sorry to hear about that. Someone very close to me committed suicide too, it's so painful to all involved. I know all to well how it hurts. My prayers go out to that poor man and his family and too all who knew him.

-Leslie

teena
02-02-2001, 08:20 AM
Thanks everyone, for your kind words. It's another day and I'm still numb. I guess he just couldn't see through his despair to realize that we are given a new day, every day. What really gets to me is that he "euthanized" himself. When we had to put our little Sweetpea down last year, he was so wonderful and caring. I just hope he is finally at peace. On a more positive note, I won't be talking to you guys for a week, as we're off for the cruise this Monday! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif Take care of yourselves and furbabies.

karen israel
02-02-2001, 12:51 PM
Oh, dear friend Teena..I am so sorry to read about your vet! It's hard to imagine someone so caring and gentle and understanding of our pets can hurt so bad inside. I also think Karen's idea is brillant.
Meantime, have fun on your cruise! Just relax and enjoy. Have a safe trip! Will miss you! And the kids will be fine! Karen I

carrie
02-02-2001, 01:56 PM
How terrible! What an awful shock for you and how sad that a man in such a caring situation felt so desperate. Depression is a silent and untold torture for those suffering. As usual Karen has come up with a wonderful idea.

shais_mom
02-08-2001, 02:11 PM
On a slightly, different subject, but still indicates a bad week:
A nurse I work with (26 years old) was in her 8th month of pregnancy and went into labor Monday at work. That evening she delivered a baby girl, the next day they decided to fly the baby to a Children's hospital, as a precaution, as we are a very small rural hospital, the baby made the flight ok. When she got there she crashed, and they were unable to resusitate her. She died Tuesday night. The whole hospital is in shock. They diagnosed her with strep infection.
This was the 2nd pregnancy for my friend, she miscarried her 1st one around 12 weeks, about 2 years ago. And has said if anything happened during this pregnancy she wasn't doing it again, I simply can't imagine what she is going through.
It is really rocking my faith, I am trying not to let it, but where is the justice? There are thousands of 12-13 year olds out there pregnant, and here is a young married couple who did everything right and she had a good pregnancy, she was so careful, and she has lost 2 babies.
Sorry to get on this soapbox, but where I am from/live we don't see babies die like this, and its harder b/c it is one of our own.

[This message has been edited by shais_mom (edited February 08, 2001).]

AdoreMyDogs
02-08-2001, 03:29 PM
Wow Shais Mom...

I am newlywed, and don't have any kids yet, but my motherly instinct is strong. I know that I will have children, and I don't think it's going to be long at all before we make the big decesion to begin planning for the future baby. We are buying a house in 4-6 months so perhaps that's when we'll be fully ready. I cried when I read your post. This feeling that I am feeling is different then normal, it's a future mother who's mourning for a lost baby. She must be in absolute shock. I can't imagine, nor can I relate. All I can do is pray that she can heal from this most extreme of losses.

Words can't even describe the pain that poor woman feels. Tell your friend/coworker that I am devestated for her. Wow. That poor, poor family.

-Leslie

wolflady
02-08-2001, 07:58 PM
shais mom,

I agree with adoremydogs...I am a newly wed too, and news like this is just heartbreaking. I feel the same way you do about how it's unfair that there are all these ungrateful people (like the pregnant 13 and up year olds and people who go and have abortions)that take for granted the gift of childbirth. I think it's truely sad when there is a good honest couple doing everything right, and it doesn't work out for them. I would prefer to see families like this be blessed with this gift then those other people that just get rid of it by abortion, or these irrisponsible teenagers. I am truely saddened for this family. Be sure to let her know that she and her family are in our prayers here at Pet Talk!

Karen T.

shais_mom
02-09-2001, 10:53 AM
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers, you are truly blessings.

Sudilar
02-09-2001, 05:29 PM
Sometimes life is just so unfair! My prayers are with you at this tragic time.

Sue

Daisy's Mom
02-09-2001, 10:13 PM
Please tell your friend I'm thinking and praying for her too. I don't know why bad things happen to good people, but they do. Life IS very unfair http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif