PDA

View Full Version : A sweet poem for rescued/adopted dogs...

Desert Arabian
12-28-2002, 11:56 PM
This is a very nice poem I found on a Labrador Retriever rescue site.

A Prayer of Rescue

Now that I'm home, bathed, settled and fed,
All nicely tucked in my warm new bed.
I'd like to open my baggage
Lest I forget,
There is so much to carry -
So much to regret.

Hmm . . . Yes there it is, right on the top

Let's unpack Loneliness, Heartache and Loss,
And there by my leash hides Fear and Shame.
As I look on these things I tried so hard to leave -
I still have to unpack my baggage called Pain.

I loved them, the others, the ones who left me,
But I wasn't good enough - for they didn't want me.
Will you add to my baggage?
Will you help me unpack?
Or will you just look at my things -
And take me right back?

Do you have the time to help me unpack?
To put away my baggage,
To never repack?
I pray that you do - I'm so tired you see,
But I do come with baggage -
Will you still want me?

- Evelyn Colbath

I just thought I'd share this with fellow Pet Talkers.

Sudilar
12-29-2002, 12:17 AM
Thanks for sharing. My two unpacked their baggage and will never leave!!!

Desert Arabian
12-29-2002, 12:20 AM
When I move out, I plan on adopting a dog when the time is right, and I am going to burn (lol) its baggage and spoil it rotten!!! :D :D :D

Candy16
12-29-2002, 12:51 AM
That's a wonderful poem - my Candy's bag was unpacked and we threw it away!! She's definitely a keeper!! :D

jenluckenbach
12-29-2002, 07:08 AM
great poem
If it goes for cats too, we had a bon fire here!!!!

RubyMutt
12-29-2002, 10:52 AM
That was a beautiful poem! Thanks for sharing! I'm so happy my Ruby doesn't have to go through that anymore. She is such a sweetie, I don't see how people could have mistreated her! :mad: But at least now my family gets to enjoy her and spoil her rotten :D But there are still so many home/familyless dogs out there... it makes me so sad :(

Cisco's Mom
12-29-2002, 11:22 AM
Yes, I have seen this poem before. It's a real tear jerker. Just makes a person think of all those poor homeless babies. All doings of the irrisponsibility of the so called more intelligent humans! Thanks to all who have rescued!!:)

lovemyshiba
12-29-2002, 05:57 PM
Of course that made me cry. Abbey's baggage is unpacked, and she is spoiled rotten (as I type she is asleep on the bed). Kito had some baggage too, as he was supposed to be a show dog and had been kept in a crate on a motor home until we got him, but now he is the KING of our house. I got rid of their baggage right away.

sottice
12-30-2002, 07:41 AM
I love that poem. It is definitely a tear jerker. I just adopted an older female poodle about 4 weeks ago. She had been horribly abused, and is still a little jumpy if you move too fast around her. Her baggage is unpacked and she is staying for sure! My daughter named her Queen Ester, because she sits at attention with her head held high! :)