PDA

View Full Version : Question to Paul.

Albea
12-28-2002, 12:34 PM
Something very strange it's been happening in the last couple of days. Every time I include a gif with a post I can see it when I'm returned to the post, but then it changes to the "Fortune City" logo. It's that a sneaky way for them to advertise their services? Has anybody else have this problem?
Thanks for your help.

AmylovesMisty
12-28-2002, 12:37 PM
Thats very weird. I can understand it not showing up but turning into a "Fortune City" Logo? I don't know! Karen or Paul should be able to figure it our though! They are the best!:D

slleipnir
12-28-2002, 12:37 PM
Maybe they don't allow offsite linking?? Is it only with gifs?

Karen
12-28-2002, 12:55 PM
Some sites don't allow cross-posting, and others that did allow it have changed their minds. Check the user agreement on Fortune City's site ...

Albea
12-28-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by slleipnir
Maybe they don't allow offsite linking?? Is it only with gifs?
It's happened with the same Web site where I've been getting gifs for months and it doesn't say anything has changed:confused: It's a site based in Germany that has great graphics free for anybody to use.

COCatMama
12-28-2002, 01:03 PM
As I've said before, if anyone needs a sig or gif or jpg on the net, just email it to me, [email protected] and I will upload it to my site and provide you with the URL to post :)

NoahsMommy
12-28-2002, 11:27 PM
That happens with Tripod too...

Albea
12-29-2002, 11:57 AM
Here is the answer to my question!
However, I don't use Explorer or work with any Microsoft applications, which means that this worm could attack any browser. So, if anybody has the same problem, the address at the bottom of the message will help remove the worm.

"Due to the virus referred to as "VBS.Plan", "VBS.LoveLetter.AS", or "Worm.Plan", your browser has inadvertently been pointed to the FortuneCity.com domain. This is in no way an action of FortuneCity. It is caused
by a program written by an unidentified third party which reset your Internet Explorer start page. To remove the virus from your system, please visit Symantec for complete instructions at:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/vbs.plan.a.html.

Karen
12-29-2002, 05:01 PM
How scary - glad you figured it out! I am glad I am on a Macintosh, and don't even use Outlook, so most viruses cannot get me!

Paul
12-29-2002, 05:06 PM
   I am glad you found the answer. I did not know that.

Paul

Albea
12-30-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Karen
How scary - glad you figured it out! I am glad I am on a Macintosh, and don't even use Outlook, so most viruses cannot get me!
Karen and Paul:
I'm on a Mac also, never use Explorer or Outlook, and so far thought that that, plus firewall and antivirus programs, would protect me, but this worm attacked the Fortune City site directly, changing anything that was loaded through their service into their logo.:mad: :mad: :mad:
The instructions to get rid of the worm are for Windows OS, so are of no use to me. The only temporary solution would be not to go to any site served by Fortune City.