PDA

View Full Version : Bunny question!

Aspen and Misty
12-26-2002, 10:50 PM
We have Jewel, my new bunny, on hold at the pet store. The pet store told us today we had to get her tomrrow or they are going to put her up for sale again. We have had her on hold for 4, 5 days tomrrow. My question to you is, we are gonig away to pittsburg tomrrow :(. Is it ok to get my bunny in the morning and then bring her on the trip to my grandmothers? Or do you think that will be to much change and that she needs to spend the weekend, practicly alone, exept for when my sister comes to feed her. My sister wont let her out or anything but will feed and water her for me. I wanna bring her, but don't want to do anything that will harm her, or stress her out. I do plan on getting her in the morning so she can atleast be a little adjusted to her cage and me before we go, if she goes. Also, any advice from you bunny people? I have bunny proofed my room.

Ash

Uabassoon
12-26-2002, 11:01 PM
I'm not 100% sure but I think she may be better at your house alone if your sister is going to be feeding her. That way she'll get used to her new environment before you start handling her. I know a lot of times with small pets they say it's best not to handle for the first few days so that way they can get adjusted to everything first.

Aspen and Misty
12-27-2002, 08:42 AM
Thanx! We called the petstore and asked them if we paid for her fully would they keep her till Sunday and they said yes. So, problem solved :D although it would be nice to have company on the long drive :rolleyes:

Ash

Uabassoon
12-27-2002, 09:53 AM
I'm glad it all worked out. Have a safe trip!

Karen
12-27-2002, 11:01 AM
I think that's the best solution, too much change wouldn't be easy for the little bunny! Now remember, when you get back, we want pictures! :)

Aspen and Misty
12-27-2002, 01:06 PM
O Karen your gonna be bored with pictures!!!! I got a dgital camra for Christmas so I'm armed and ready! Already got TONS of pictures of Chewy, just have ot post them :D

Ash

Aspen and Misty
12-27-2002, 08:56 PM
My pet store said that someone else was interested in my bunny so if I didn't come get her now they were gong to give her up. My sister left town to go with her boyfriend to visit there cabin up in Scranton and would not be back, no one else could care for her. So needless to say I'm at my grandmothers with a bunny name Jillian, Jilly Bean (at least for now). She is doing good, I leaned my chair back and layed her on my stomach most of the way. She just relaxed and strecthed out and we both took a nice long hour nap. he was a little nerves at first but after discovering that she could hop on my stomach the whole way down to my knees without falling she had a ball! I was wondering, she keeps head butting me, is there a reson she is doing this? She seems to only do it to my arms and hands, like she wants to be pet so I pet her and she runs away, only to then spin around and charge me again, LOL. Livly aint she? She is a cutie patutie. I will have TONS of pictures when I get home, I can't wait. I feel bad draggin her the whole way out her, but when you see her you will see why I feel so quickly for that grey puggie bun face of hers!

Ash

Heather Wallace
12-29-2002, 07:55 AM
The head butting thing is caled nugging. it either means Hello or get out of my way!!!

Aspen and Misty
12-29-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Heather Wallace
it either means Hello or get out of my way!!!

LOL, with Jilly it probly means get out of my way! LOL. I dunno, I always move my hand and pet her. She is sooo adorable, last night we slept for almost 2 hours. I love her so much, her and chewy met for the first time today, went great!

Ash

aly
12-29-2002, 11:41 AM
I was going to ask how Chewey would be with a bun. Be careful! I'm glad all is going well and thats a realllllllly cute name you picked. I can't wait for pics.

Aspen and Misty
12-29-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by aly
Be careful! .

We are being extremly careful. They seem to like each other, but we are taking it slow, he slept outside her cage the whole afternoon just incase she came out, she is in a really large pen area. I have some pictures! But I need to resize them, so expect them soon!

Ash

Aspen and Misty
12-29-2002, 03:58 PM
Also, I was wondering what kind of toys she would like? I have her lots of chews to chew on and my friend told me to get her some kitty jingly ball thingys. What else can I get her? Don't want her to be bored.

Ash

Karen
12-29-2002, 04:48 PM
Cardboard paper towel tubes, dowels, sticks from a poplar or a fruit tree (ask someone if you don't know what kind of tree one is), jingle bell on a ribbon, just plain corrugated cardboard pieces (good to chew on AND dig at) hay to eat AND rearrange .... in general, the best bunny toys are the cheapest! At times I fold a piece of paper into a simple tent and prop it up for Miss Hoppy to knock down and chew on ... An old phone book to tear up ...

Every bunny is different, you'll discover what she like to play with and what she ignores. We got dowels for Miss Hoppy to chew on, but she never did. Instead they are noise-makers. She would stand on them with one paw, then pick it up in hear teeth and let it loudly SNAP back to the floor!

She does chew on yummy sticks, though - she is hoping Grandpa got her some more for Christmas. He knows where to find the yummiest sticks - not just any stick will do! (We still haven't done Christmas with my family, due to a snowstorm Christmas day, then illness and scheduling concerns ... but we will New Year's Day!) The funny thing was one spring he got her a bunch of pussy-willows, and she would NOT eat them - until I tried stripping of the "catkins," that is. I guess this bunny won't eat anything small and "FURRY" - TOO MUCH LIKE CANNIBALISM?

Aspen and Misty
12-29-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Karen
I guess this bunny won't eat anything small and "FURRY" - TOO MUCH LIKE CANNIBALISM?

LOL!! I have one more question (for now) what kind of litter stuff should i use for litter training? I have been using clumping litter, but heard that is bad, some other sites said to use the rabbits pellet food??? What do you use?

Ash

Karen
12-29-2002, 06:32 PM
Do NOT use cat-type clay litter, whether clumping or any other kind. The dust from the clay will make a bunny very sick.

We use Carefresh, other people use Yesterday's News - both are recycled newspapers, okay for a bunny to chew on, and not bad for them. We always put that in the litterbox, then cover it with a layer of hay - good for munching, and an incentive to stay in the litterbox. Bunnies do munch while they are "doing their business" which is yet another reason not to use clay litters.

Aspen and Misty
12-29-2002, 06:43 PM
Thanx! I already removed the clumping litter, as I heared it was really bad (on the website you gave me before, the house rabbit one). Thanx for helping me out!

Ash

Karen
12-29-2002, 07:51 PM
Whew! Didn't want Jewel getting sick so quickly!

Any pictures available yet?

Aspen and Misty
12-30-2002, 12:01 AM
Almost! I need to figure out how to post them and its not working, no matter how hard I try. :(

Ash

wolf_Q
12-30-2002, 12:55 AM
Ash--send me a couple to [email protected] and I'll help you post them....I want some of that new bunny AND some of Chewy boy! :D

Aspen and Misty
12-30-2002, 12:08 PM
Thanx! I can't resize them, I don't know how to use the programs on this computer yet. :rolleyes:

We are going out to get her a bigger cage, because the one we have right now is so small and the three story one is complicated to use and impossible to clean! It also stinks, like bunny poo caue they only cleaned it out once every month of two. Feel bad for the poor bunnies :( . We are going to be putting her cage inside of a puppy play pen thing (we have one cause of Chewy) so she will be able to come out and hop around.

Ash

Heather Wallace
12-30-2002, 02:55 PM
Sounds as if your little bunny is being well looked after. I hope she likes her new cage.

Aspen and Misty
12-30-2002, 04:07 PM
Thanx. LOL Jilly is mad cause I accidently fell asleep on the couch and she hasn't been out yet and its 5! I went over to her cage and she ran to her door, lol looks like I don't have to chase her around that time. She is such a sweety and all she wants is to be held. I just love her so much.

:D Ash :D

Rottieluver45
12-30-2002, 05:56 PM
Congrats on your new bunny! If you want to you can e-mail the pictures to me and I will resize them for you! (I have nothing better to do!)

If you want to,send them to [email protected]

Heather Wallace
12-30-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
lol looks like I don't have to chase her around that time. She is such a sweety and all she wants is to be held. I just love her so much.

:D Ash :D

Well you are lucky. This summer past, sometimes we would be outside in the garden for ages trying to get all three rabbits inside. Sometimes it would get dark and since cadbury is black anyway, I found it very hard to see him at times!

Aspen and Misty
12-30-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Rottieluver45

If you want to,send them to [email protected]

Thanx, I already sent some to WolfQ, sorry I forget your naem at the moment, I'm SO tierd LOL.

Jilly and Chewy were having a ball earlyer playing, she was in the bathroom with the baby gate up and chewy was out in the living room looking in on here and he would like pounce towards her and whine and then run away and she would go to the baby gate stand on her back legs and watch chewy race around the room LOL. :rolleyes: Crazy bunnie. We were unable to buy her her new home tonight because my dad got really sick. Well, I need to make her a salad and take Chewy for his very last romp in the yard before we settle in and gladly fall asleep for the night, maybe the week.

Ash

Heather Wallace
12-31-2002, 11:30 AM
Remember to feed Bun lots of good quality hay, as rabbits can live happily on a diet of mainly hay!

Sorry you were not able to get your new cage, will you still be able to get one later on?

Aspen and Misty
12-31-2002, 02:15 PM
O yea! Were going tonight to get the cage, would never deprive my baby bun girl :D . We got her lots of hay and are going to buy more since she is getting low, think I've been feeding her to much ;) . She has gained a pound in the 3 days we have had her. At the pet store she wasi na cage iwth 2 large rabbits and a smaller rabbit. I don't think she got alot of the food. Well, we make sure she has lots of hay and pellets to eat. :D

Ash

Aspen and Misty
01-01-2003, 01:03 AM
Well tonight Jilly bean allowed me to flip her over on her back. She even fell asleep. :D Her fav place to sleep is under my chin all stretched out and comfy. She also loves a good cuddle on the couch as I watch aniaml planet. She is so much fun. And does all the things that chewy can't, like curl up on the couch and watch tv. She really is a joy and I love her so much, after 4 days I know I pciked one of the best buns out there.

Ash

Heather Wallace
01-01-2003, 02:23 PM
Ash, don't worry, you can never feed a rabbit to much hay. hay also helps with boredom in rabbits.

And she sounds adorable!

Aspen and Misty
01-01-2003, 03:10 PM
Don't worry, she will have as much hy as her little heart or tummy desires. I'm starting to loose patience with my pet store. They cloed again today, either because they weren't getting enough buisness or because the ice storm. I don't know but I really wanted to have her moved in her cage today :( . O well, guess she will just have to suck it up and learn to have free roam of the bathroom, I know how horrible it must be. I mean having to live in a pretty large bathroom instead of a tiny cage. She must be heartbroken. LOL. Well, I need to head back to my dad's house to clean the bathrom and play with my jilly bean :D still can't get over that adroble face!

Ash

Heather Wallace
01-01-2003, 06:20 PM
We can't wait to see some pictures. Cadbury and Twinkle also get to run around the bathroom as their hutch is beside it. twinkle loves to sit round beside the toilet (strange boy), although he is naughty as he is taring off of some of the wall paper which ia m not happy with!:mad:

Rottieluver45
01-01-2003, 06:24 PM
Thelmer has to run around the bathroom too,b/c he chews the cords too much.

Aspen and Misty
01-01-2003, 08:59 PM
Thankfully Jilly has not been chewing on things but her chew sticks. And she LOVES them. She has destroyed 2 now, LOL. She is just eating them to pieces, I'm gonna have to get her more.

Ash

Heather Wallace
01-02-2003, 10:02 AM
I bought the rabbits some twig balls, they were quite expensive to, both balls had been destroyed over night!

Aspen and Misty
01-02-2003, 09:02 PM
I have a question. Our pet store does not haev bunny cages, well they do, but they are about the size of, hmmm, Jilly. She has no room to move around in them. They are pitiful cages. So we bought her a wire dog cage. It was on sale and it is big enough to fit (me and chewy) boxers, goldens, large dogs like that. Do you think that is ok? We bought her some more toys. LOL and I bought cheyw a moving mouse which is driving both me and Jilly up the wall. LOL. Also, she is used to haveing roam of the large bathroom, but now she is in a cage and is biteing at the bars to get out. What do I do? Do I leave her in there? Or do I bring her out and put her back in there????

Ash

zippy-kat
01-02-2003, 09:24 PM
Yes! The cage is ok--that's what I used for Soph and will use again for Piper once she is big enough! ;) (For now, Piper is in an "in-betweenie" cage; bigger than the "baby" cage but smaller than the "adult" [read: dog] cage.)

Heather Wallace
01-03-2003, 09:56 AM
rabbits need about 2 hours of exercise each day,s o maybe you can let her out to run around the bathroom at certain times, migh keep her happier.

Aspen and Misty
01-03-2003, 12:45 PM
I was told they need 4 hours. So thats what we have been meeting. Letting her run and run and run and run some more! She really is enjoying her cage, although she likes the bathroom much more! Spoiled bunny.

Ash

Heather Wallace
01-04-2003, 10:20 AM
I suppose the more exercise they get the better. Dou you let her in the garden when the weather is ok? The more room the have to jump etc the better, but it sounds as if you are doing a good job.

Aspen and Misty
01-04-2003, 07:00 PM
LOL Heather I was just about to ask if it was ok if we let her outside. I took her out yesterday for just a quick peek, there was snow on the ground so I only let her roam for a min. She enjoyed it though. Our backyard is fenced in by a wooden fence so she would be ok, of course, she would never be aloud out there un supervised! Only takes seconds for a dog to get through a fence, forget who told me that. But, Yea, she will be aloud to roam around outside. I was wondering also, are bunnies better with a friend? Me and my dad were talkign about it last night. We aren't home Monday-friday's till 4. So all day long she is by herself and we feel bad and hope she doens't get lonly.

Ash

Heather Wallace
01-05-2003, 10:40 AM
Hi Ash, where do I start?

Yes, apparently bunnies love the snow. And it is ok to let them out on cold days for a while, I let my gang out one day when it was dry and they love to run around in the mud etc, I did give them a good clean with a towel when they came back inside.

Yes it is much better for rabbits to have a friend, one of the opposite sex is best, although Jilly would have to be spayed first and the other rabbit should be spayed or neutered too. Sometimes it is hard to bond rabbits but if you decide later on to get another, I am sure some people here with give you advice on how to do that. There are also web sites that give good advice to.

Aspen and Misty
01-05-2003, 02:41 PM
Thanx. Ok, right now we don't want another Bunny, but we were talking about it. I don't know if I told you guys this, but Jilly has a vet Apointment on MOnday to go see if everything is good. There should be some new pics of Jilly coming in the Jilly Bean thread posted by WolfQ. Hopfully they will be posted soon or are posted. I just know Wolfq recieved them. Also, there should be some Chewy pics in the Chewy thread that WolfQ also did for me, shes so nice.

Ash

Daisylover
01-06-2003, 11:39 AM
As long as the Jilly has someone with her I would say it's ok to be outside for a while. Remember though that bunnies love to dig.....they may get in to mischief by digging up your flower garden (not that that would happen in winter)... However, the thing that concerns me most is that they will also dig under fences and can get out and lost.

Ideally your fencing should be sunk 12 inches beneath ground level. Since that's not practical you'll have to keep an eye out for any signs that she is digging by the fence.....ESPECAILLY when spring, summer and fall comes and Jilly can be out for longer periods of time. I would hate for you to lose her that way.

Aspen and Misty
01-06-2003, 09:43 PM
We have a large puppy pen for her to raom in but are hopeing to get her a even larger pen to be out in, probly one as long as our fence, but with another fence going along the fence so she has to dig under 2 fences to get out. I wasn't really planning on letting her out by herself, so I don't know if I will, exept in her large 3 story pen which my friend gave me.

Ash