PDA

View Full Version : Hi from the new place - and a cat safety problem!

Kirsten
12-25-2002, 03:55 AM
Finally Luna and I have made it back to Pet Talk! We'd like to wish everyone here Happy Holidays and a Merry Christmas!

We have moved meanwhile, but it was more stressful and took more time than I'd thought, that's why I've been away for so long. It's still not over yet ('cause I totally have to re-do the old appartment which requires a lot of extra time, extra work and extra money), but I have decided to have a break this week, 'cause I just need some rest!

Luna adjusted very well to the new place, she loves to have so much space now and has already declared the living room as her own! :) Every time a visitor appears she would lead him to the living room to show them her scratching post, it's so sweet.

There's one thing I'm worrying about though, she's so curious now that she always tries to sneak out of the front door into the stairways where she leans over through the banisters and it scares me to death 'cause I have always visions of her falling down (it's the second floor where we're living, but when she would fall, she would land directly on an antique sewing machine which belongs to my landlord's wife, and Luna would never survive that. :(

So I have to be really careful that she doesn't walk out. The problem are my landlords themselves. It's the first time someone has a cat in the house and they are used to have access to the appartment whenever it is needed (workers, chimney sweepers and such), and he (the landlord) always leaves the front door wide open. I already insisted to be home or be called at work when someone needs to have access (they office is only a few minutes away), but he's old and forgets about a lot of things, so I have really bad feeling about this and Luna's safety, and I already start thinking it's been a mistake to move in here (don't get me wrong, the landlords are nice people, but I just don't think they will be careful enough when it comes to Luna 'cause they're not used to it and they're just too old). Anyway, this subject is giving me nightmares already. After all, one reason I have decided to move was that the neighborhood around my old appartment has become so bad and I wanted Luna to be in a safe place...

Kirsten

Barbara
12-25-2002, 05:23 AM
Hi Kirsten, welcome back.

About Luna's problem:
it will not help much but you know that in Germany landlords are not allowed to have general access to rented apartments. Legally they have to give you notice. But I understand that it will be difficult to explain it to them. Most likely they cannot understand why a cat should always be indoors.
Next thing: we have stairs within the apartment and Filou sometimes even balances on the railings but he never fell. The other question: Would the landlords allow you to put a net from the ceiling to the bottom where these banisters are? It would still not keep Luna from using the stairs but she couldn't fall.

However I wish you good luck in solving these problems -I am sure other people here will have more ideas.

ChrisH
12-25-2002, 05:49 AM
Kirsten, a Merry Christmas to you too, also to Luna of course!:)

It great that Luna has ajusted well to the new apartment, though it is a pity that you have all these new worries about her safety. I am not sure what, if anything, you can do about the fear of her falling through the bannisters, I know I am a little fearful for Ebby too when she is peering though mine and I don`t think they are as far up as yours are. I suspect other experienced cat owning Pet Talkers may have some answers for you though.
As for the other thing with your landlords I know I would be as worried as you are. Emergency access I could understand but, nice or not, the anytime access would trouble me even if I didn`t have a cat, it doesn`t seem right somehow, especially as you are only a few minutes away. If you cannot/may not get the locks changed could you maybe get an external security keybolt fitted and a notice asking them to call for access. At the very least I would have a notice to be careful of the cat put up. I don`t know what else to suggest. I am sorry that this worry has marred the pleasure of your new home, I hope you can sort something out soon to put your mind at ease.

Best wishes
Chris

jenluckenbach
12-25-2002, 06:52 AM
welcome back and happy holidays.

If it were me I would simply make a small sign that I could post on the front door that says "PLEASE DO NO LET THE CAT OUT"

good luck in your new place