PDA

View Full Version : WHEN DO YOU STOP GETTING A NEW DOG?

jackiesdaisy1935
05-22-2001, 12:08 PM
I am curious, when do you think you would stop from getting another dog? I never thought of this until I reached shall we say
senior status. On one hand you may get another one and may pass on and then what would happen to it if you didn't make prior arrangements, or on the other hand would it be fair to give one a happy home for the time you may have left? I was thinking of my Aunt who always had dogs, lots of dogs and a few years before she passed wouldn't take on another dog even though she was encouraged to do so, but I believe she didn't get another because she knew she was ill and her time was short.
http://schnauzerville.homestead.com/files/doggy8.gif
http://schnauzerville.homestead.com/files/schnauzer.gif

[This message has been edited by jackiesdaisy1935 (edited May 22, 2001).]

Rottie
05-22-2001, 12:19 PM
I've always wanted a Rottie by my side until the day I die and I believe that I will continue having a dog for the rest of my life; if I know someone willing to take him/her if I die before my dog.

aly
05-22-2001, 01:02 PM
I'm only 22 years old but I told my family if anything ever happens to me, my sister or my parents are the only ones I trust with my pets and they promised to take them. It makes me feel better knowing that they will be well cared for, especially Shiloh who really doesn't like anyone except me and my family. She would die in a shelter situation or even a new home where she didn't know the people.

There's also a group you can belong to. I think you pay a fee and if anything happened to you, they would take your pets and rehome them. I forgot exactly how it works.

[This message has been edited by aly (edited May 22, 2001).]

05-22-2001, 01:10 PM
Well, at this point in my life we have 3 dogs. Up until March, my husband said 2 was enough...but he caved when we found Maddie. I cannot imagine not having a dog by my side, ever! So, I think we will always have dogs...but, if I ever thought that I couldn't take care of a dog then I would probably not take on the responibility. But, as long as I am breathing and of sound mind, I will have dogs. If I am old then I will make sure that my babies will be taken care of after I pass on to our "rainbow bridge".

Angel

Logan
05-22-2001, 01:22 PM
What a question, Jackie, but a good one! I think the others are right...you just have to make arrangements and know where your dogs will go if you were to be too ill to take care of them, or God forbid, die http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif. We had some discussion about this a while back, and it really made me think. I have a menagerie here, as you know, and as a single parent, I know that Helen would go live with her dad and stepmother. But they wouldn't want the pets as they have their own, except maybe Honey and Mimi (Honey is Helen's dog, and Mimi belonged to her dad and me when we were married). I have a good friend who told me he would take Honey and Mimi too! They are obviously the "favorites" of my friends and family. Lilly is a very easy going girl, and my sister said she would take her if necessary. But...what about Butter??? I have to work on that one! Maybe one of my "Cat Talk" friends has a special place for Butter.... Any takers????
I hope I don't have to face that for a long, long time, but I know it is a reality, especially as we all start getting older. I guess my response to your question though, woudld be Never stop, just make sure you make the appropriate arrangements.

Logan

[This message has been edited by Logan (edited May 22, 2001).]

Sudilar
05-22-2001, 02:01 PM
Logan is right. Just be sure that provisions are made "just in case." As that time gets closer, I thought that I would start adopting older GSDs, those that few people want because of their age. At least we could spend our last years together. Well, hopefully I've got a while to go yet!

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***

ilovehounds
05-22-2001, 04:41 PM
I always say that after I lose Hannah I will never get another dog, no dog will ever be the same and could never take her place. But Im only 21 and if the time came and I found another hound that needs a good home I think I would take it in.

bugmom
05-22-2001, 06:50 PM
A very interesting quandry! I have a trust fund for bug already in the works should anything happen to me bug will be provided for. there are three trustees named should one not be able to do the job. i was actually able to list her on my life insurance with a trustee too. basically, She gets it all!! and if she goes before me then the funds are changed to a rescue agency (i haven't picked which one(s) yet) and then if i get a new fuzzy face well, i'll change it all again.

And no one laughed or looked funny at me as i was setting this all up. Course, bug was with me the whole time.

jackiesdaisy1935
05-22-2001, 07:58 PM
We do have future protection for our two Schnauzers, our Son and daughter-in-law said they would take them anytime, however they also have two Schnauzers so it would be pushing it to expect them to take anymore than the two I believe.

Angels3
05-22-2001, 08:53 PM
This IS an issue that 'senior' people have to think about when considering if they should get a new dog, jackie. You're so right.

A couple of dog shelters in Australia have come up with helpful adoption programs. They call it 'Senior Pets for Senior People'. They place older, more mellow, still healthy dogs with older owners so the senior people have pets with a shorter life span. And the shelters offer follow-up support to the senior owner, promising to lovingly care for the dog if something should happen to the owner.

Our tibetan spaniel rescue group is presently looking to rehome a beautiful- natured, basically healthy 10 yr old tib called Joe with an older person. We will offer follow-up support, by helping out if the owner or Joe ever gets ill or needs any assistance at all.

jackiesdaisy1935
05-23-2001, 08:57 AM
Angels 3 that is a wonderful program, I think Australia rescue is so far ahead of our programs here. I love my dogs, but god forbid if anything happened to them, I would get an older rescue to keep me company. At least under that program you could give your love to the dog but know that it would be cared for in case something happened to you.

Angels3
05-23-2001, 09:37 AM
Jackie, our rescue services in Australia use quite a few ideas that were first used in US rescue services. I've got a list of US dog shelters & rescue services which do marvellous things that we'd like to do, too. I'd include their names & websites here but there are too many of them!
Just one example. I saw a US dog adoption service which used free e-cards to advertise their website...& the dogs for adoption. I suggested that idea to my Tibetan Spaniel Rescue co-workers here. And now we have e-cards on our aussie tib rescue website, too.

[This message has been edited by Angels3 (edited May 23, 2001).]

bugmom
05-23-2001, 11:40 AM
Logan,

Butter can come to live with me, bug, Scarlet and munch in California! we'll even come get her! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Two years ago i rescued two poodles whose owner had passed on. The son was going to put them down. Lucky for him, i never met him or i'd have some choice words for him. I placed the two poodles in a great home - together - to be spoilt rotten!

janet

RachelJ
05-23-2001, 01:13 PM
I've tried to respond to this question at least 3 times, but I keep punching "clear fields". This subject brings up my worst fear...that both my husband and I meet our demise at the same time. Finding someone to provide for the care of current animals in the event of our death is not an easy task. Even having the monitary resources to finance their future care doesn't solve the problem. I want them to have a home where they would be as comfortable and cared for as they are now, and that the money left for them would make that possible but not be the incentive to take them, if you get the distinction. HUA has a Legacy for Love program which I have received the forms, but with that they do not find homes for the dogs but care for them at the shelter. If I sign those papers, I would be ruling out the possibility of their finding another home. I just don't know what to do, so I do nothing.

I know this wasn't the exact question you asked, Jackie, so on to that. Because having a dog necessitates much consideration about where you live and what accommodations your living situation has, it is not just whether or not you will outlive your pet, but whether you are physically able to take care of it while you are alive. I think that as I head to the latter years I would look toward taking in a smaller dog, an older dog, and if even that would not be practical .....a cat!!! I don't ever want to be without a loving animal in my life.

mruffruff
05-23-2001, 02:26 PM
I'm with you, Rachael. My dogs are all older (except Bella) because I am getting up there too. If anything happens to them, I'll foster or adopt an older animal that I know I can handle. I never want to be without an animal by my side. If anything happens to me, I know my daughter or sister will take my crew.

But not yet!!!!

Karen
05-23-2001, 07:08 PM
When my Great Aunt was in her upper eighties and was hospitalized, a relative I will not name thought her dog was too much trouble for her, and may have been partially responsible for her fall, and had Peppy put to sleep. I still growl at the thought of that, there were several people who would have cared for the dog if we had been called. She did not get another dog after that, though she loved them so much. When she was 92, and in nursing home, senile dementia/Alzheimers convinced her that she had a couple kittens with her in the nursing home, though, and when she couldn't find them to show me, she'd say - "Just as well, I know you're allergic!"