PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Bridge

teena
01-31-2001, 10:40 AM
Today is indeed a sad day. My sister's furbaby had to go to the bridge yesterday. He was a 17 year old toy fox terrier, that she's had since he was a pup. Gino P. Doggins had cancer and was suffering terribly, so she made the decision that was best for him, but she is having a very rough go of it, so if all of my caring, pet-loving friends could say a little prayer for Annette to help ease her pain, I would appreciate it.

jackiesdaisy1935
01-31-2001, 10:50 AM
Hi Teena, so sorry to hear about Gino P. Doggins, our sympathies to your sister for her loss. A lot of love builds up in 17 years. We lost Kona in October and we had her for 14 years, everytime I look at her photo I cry. I can relate to how she is feeling and will say a little prayer for her and Gino.

RachelJ
01-31-2001, 11:48 AM
There are those of us out here who can really understand what Annette has been experiencing while Gino was ill and what she went through in making the decision and what her emotions will be like for some time. Gino P. Doggins is a wonderful name and 17 years is a very long life for a dog. He must certainly have been well cared for and loved. I certainly hopes he meets up with Bailey and Tizzie. I always envision how they must run and jump and play at the Bridge with their freedom from the age and illness.

dogncatluvr
01-31-2001, 12:18 PM
I am sorry to hear of your sister's loss. I hope she does find comfort in the Rainbow Bridge poem, and will soon remember the happy times she had with Gino P. Doggins.

tatsxxx11
01-31-2001, 12:31 PM
All my sympathys got out to your sister and to the beautiful Gino P. Doggins. Sometimes it seems that just as our beloved companions' suffering is finally at an end, ours if just beginning. My thoughts and prayers will be with Annette and the beautiful Gino P. Doggins. I know Gino P. is at the bridge with my Jing and Bailey and Tizzie and Kona all the others and that they are now healthy and happy and carefree, in a place free of pain or suffering. We all do know the incredible sadness your sister is feeling. Please express to her our deepest sympathy at such a devastating loss. I'm so sorry. Gino P. Doggins sounds like the most special of doggies.

[This message has been edited by tatsxxx11 (edited January 31, 2001).]

AdoreMyDogs
01-31-2001, 12:42 PM
This is the only negative of owning a dog. The goodbye is horrible, all of us dog lovers know how bad it hurts. I have a poem for your friend and it's written through a dogs eyes. I am so sorry for your friends loss and sorrow. If it makes her feel better, 17 is an amazing life span. I sure wish I had a canine friend spend that amount of time with me here on earth.

FROM FRIEND TO FRIEND
You're giving me a special gift,
So sorrowfully endowed,
And through these last few cherished days,
Your courage makes me proud.

But really, love is knowing
When your best friend is in pain,
And understanding earthly acts
Will only be in vain.

So looking deep into your eyes,
Beyond, into your soul,
I see in you the magic, that will
Once more make me whole.

The strength that you possess,
Is why I look to you today,
To do this thing that must be done,
For it's the only way.

That strength is why I've followed you,
And chose you as my friend,
And why I've loved you all these years...
My partner 'til the end.

Please, understand just what this gift,
You're giving, means to me,
It gives me back the strength I've lost,
And all my dignity.

You take a stand on my behalf,
For that is what friends do.
And know that what you do is right,
For I believe it too.

So one last time, I breathe your scent,
And through your hand I feel,
The courage that's within you,
To now grant me this appeal.

Cut the leash that holds me here,
Dear friend, and let me run,
Once more a strong and steady dog,
My pain and struggle done.

And don't despair my passing,
For I won't be far away,
Forever here, within your heart,
And memory I'll stay.

I'll be there watching over you,
Your ever faithful friend,
And in your memories I'll run,
...a young dog once again.

By Karen Clouston

wolflady
01-31-2001, 01:03 PM
AdoreMyDogs...what a wonderful poem. It's always very sad to have our pets journey on to the bridge. I'm sorry to hear of the loss of Gino. We'll all be thinking about Gino's family today. Knowing that he is with my beloved Misty and Jing and Bailey and Tizzie and Kona and all the others that have gone before us, is comforting. I was very sad when Misty had to be put down right before my wedding almost 2 years ago now. She had had 2 strokes and just couldn't manage anymore. I had her since the 2nd grade. A sad loss indeed, but as Sir Walter Scott says: "The final cause of dogs having such short lives...is in compassion to the human race; for if we suffer so much in losing a dog after an acquaintance of ten or twelve years, what would it be if they were to live double that time?"
17 years is a long life, and I'm sure he was well cared for a loved very much. I hope everyone can find comfort in that and remember the good times spent with Gino http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

jackiesdaisy1935
01-31-2001, 02:44 PM
Adoremydogs: I read that poem and it was very comforting for me. Kona had been suffering with arthritis plus other ailments so we got some medication from our Vet and she was better for about eight months, almost acting like a puppy, playing etc.
Then it went all downhill from there. We knew she was suffering, but we were selfish,
we wanted her with us, we couldn't bear to part with her. Then we realized how selfish we had been and were thinking of ourselves and not what was best for her. Kona had been my best friend for 14 years and it was the most difficult thing I ever did in my life, ending her suffering and letting her go.
I cried when I read that poem, but I feel better for reading it. Kona is now at the
Angels Rest at Best Friends.

Sudilar
01-31-2001, 03:30 PM
Annette, I am so sorry for your loss. Try to think of the good days with Gino (and that was a long time!) and take comfort in Rainbow Bridge. Gino is romping with Wolf and Avalanche and all the other loved pets. So sorry.
Sue

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***

teena
01-31-2001, 04:17 PM
Just a quick note to thank all of you for your kinds words. I e-mailed them to my sister and she of course, cried like a baby, but was most appreciative to know that she's not alone.

lhg0962
01-31-2001, 04:25 PM
Teena and Annette,
I sit here with tears in my eyes right now, knowing what you're going through. My precious Kaycee is sitting there waiting for your baby to join her. She was the loveliest Cocker Spaniel that you would ever want to meet. So gentle and happy. I cry just thinking of her and she's been gone almost two years now.
Honey and Lilly have helped us to replace our sad memories by helping us make new, happy memories.
Know that life goes on eventually and 17 years are a blessing for any dog owner. I'm crossing my fingers that I will have a long time with my girls.
You are in our prayers. Every day will get a little easier, I'm sure.
Love,
Logan, Helen, Honey and Lilly

[This message has been edited by lhg0962 (edited January 31, 2001).]

karen israel
02-01-2001, 10:21 AM
My dear friends..
I usually ignore this subject because I just can't think about it. But this is very timely
Within the last 3 months, unfortunately, 4 k9 sweeties that I know have gone to Rainbow Bridge. All of them were very sick but their owners did everything possible to help them.
I work directly with one of the bereaved humans. She was off yesterday to put her 5 yr old Visila to sleep due to a raging cancer. So far, today, I have taken 3 breaks with her to help console and listen.
She is feeling very guilty. She said a few hours before taking the dog the vet, she livened up so now she hopes she did the right thing, in as not holding on another day. She is also concerned that the grief she feels is worse than what she felt for her parents, whom she loved with all her heart.
She says she can't read Rainbow Bridge right now, it will make her feel worse, although I will send her this poem in a day or 2. Of course I feel awful for her and told her she was very unselfish I don't feel terribly qualified since I cry at just the thought of losing my dog. Any comments on the more guilty part of this? She really is in the dumps and trying very hard not to lose it at work. I know I can count on you all. Thanks.
Love, Karen

[This message has been edited by karen israel (edited February 01, 2001).]

Karen
02-01-2001, 11:06 AM
Tell you friend that she should in no way feel guilty. What her dog knew, more than anything, was that she always loved him, and cared for him. I'd bet he knew when she was sad, and would comfort her. He knew he was sick, and suffering. He knew that his suffering was difficult for her, whom he loved so very much. For himself, he would put up with pain if he had to, but he did not want make her so sad. He is free now, free of the pain and sadness, and will wait for her, joyful and running free, at the Rainbow Bridge. We know she is sad for her loss, but he will always, always be with her, in her heart, curled up in a warm corner, for whenever she thinks of him. Cry for a moment for her loss, but then smile forever at the joy he brought to her life - joy for always.

sammi
02-01-2001, 12:20 PM
It is a great saddness to lose a pet you love. A year ago this past December we had to put our girl Sam to sleep (she was only 3 years old) from lympth node cancer. She was at the end and could hardly walk and no longer eating. I also felt should I wait and see maybe she will snap out of it - I just didn't want to let her go because it hurt so bad. The nights following I was home alone as my husband was gone for his work and it was terrible. So (I hope this dosen't sound too foolish) I wrote my sweet girl a letter with my final goodbye and set her free. I felt so releived after. I finally showed the letter to my husband otherwise it is private and someday I will get rid of it when the time is right. I have heard of people writing letters to loved ones that have died so I thought why not a dog?

I think sometimes the grief you feel for a pet seems almost harder than a human because you only have a small circle of humans that you can share your feelings with. When a person dies all your friends and relatives share your loss. We all have friends that we are very close to but when it comes to your feelings of pets they don't have a clue how you feel. Sorry I went on so long but I feel the pain of your friend and I guess this has also helped me by writing it out.

jackiesdaisy1935
02-01-2001, 02:36 PM
Karen if you read my post above Sudilar, I too felt guilty about helping Kona cross over to the Rainbow bridge in October, but I now know it was the right thing to do, it doesn't make it any easier, but in time you realize you set your baby free and someday will be together again.

shais_mom
02-02-2001, 12:37 AM
I think the letter writing was a beautiful thing. I do that when I am angry or sad and it works!! I hope you are coping with your loss.

[This message has been edited by shais_mom (edited February 02, 2001).]

karen israel
02-02-2001, 12:16 PM
I honestly, totally, love you all.
Thank you SO much for your help. My friend seems better today at work (occupied) but said the nights are the worse. The dog slept with her and everywhere she looks, there's a toy her baby loved. She admits she knew when Tisha didn't greet her the last day cause she couldn't do the steps and started to whine, that it was right. I know it must be soooo overwhelming. I did tell her how much Tisha loved her from her stories and that she will be with her forever. Thank you too, for the suggestion of writing down feelings! I love to write (obviously) and should have thought of it. I will tell her.
I'm glad I can be there for her. Next week I will forward these posts to her. Many many hugs to all of you for your kindness and help. xoxoxox Karen

Daisy's Mom
02-03-2001, 12:15 PM
My heart goes out to all of you who have lost a pet. Daisy is my first dog and I don't even want to think about not having her anymore... I had a hamster in sixth grade and he was my first real pet besides fish and stuff like that and I really loved him. One day he was sick and woulnd't eat, so we searched all over the state for a vet that would care for hamsters. My wonderful mother took me out of schoole early and we drove for an hour to a vet for hamsters. He gave Ritz a shot and gave me medicine to give him every morning. We spent 70 dollars. Then the next morning, I picked him up out of his cage and he started having seizures in my hands. He ended up dying there in my hands. It was so awful looking down at him and knowing he was going to die. I remember just screaming "Someone help me! Can't anyone get over here and do something?" My father just put him arm around me as I screamed for help, but he knew there was nothing he could do, and then Ritz stopped moving. I sobbed hysterically for five hours. I couldn't go to school. To make things worse, it was January 17 so the ground was frozen. Trying to bury him was quite a task. My poor father was chipping away the ground with a pic axe while I stood next to him holding Ritz in a box, bawling. Anyway I know a hamster is different from a dog, but if I cried for five hours about a hamster, then I don't want to imagine the pain you must feel over a dog. One of my best friends lost her dog the same day your friend did, Teena. Before I had Daisy, I thought of Sugarfoot as my dog. She was a such a sweet girl. She died of cancer and I was there with my friend Erin to cry with her. My cousin/neighbor's dog Joey died of cancer also. He was a Bernese Mountain dog and was only three Though he died two years ago my cousin Christy is still mourning him and still cries about him. What a big sweet dog he was. Well now I am depressing myself... I just want to say I am very sorry for all of your losses.