PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Belle and Mama Dog fight.....

Dixie Belle
08-24-2001, 08:48 PM
Belle was out of her yard, while my husband was weed-eating. Mama Dog was staying under our truck to keep out of the way. Belle and I were playing chase (Which she was winning) when Mama Dog decided to come out from under the truck. Belle ATTACKS!!!!! It only lasted a moment. Belle is a pretty well trained girlie, so after I shouted "STOP BELLE, DOWN!!" (All of this is a dominance issue on Belle's part) Belle stops, standing over Mama. (Remember, Belle is big St. Bernard, Mama is only about 30 lbs.) My hubby calls for Belle, and she goes too him. He takes her back to her yard, to check for injuries. He finds none on her. I start to check Mama, and didn't have to look far. She was bleeding. And to make it worse, I realized that Belle took off part of Mama's ear. We got the bleeding stopped, but Mama looks pretty pitiful. Her ears were sooooo pretty!!! And now part of one is missing. And then to make the whole thing even better, we think Belle swallowed Mama's missing piece of ear!!

K9karen
08-24-2001, 09:11 PM
Holy Cow! I wonder what provoked her??? Poor Mama and her ear! Belle did a Mike Tyson! Geez! Did Belle show any remorse? How are they acting now? Did you take Mama to the vet for stitches or anti-biotics? What's happening?

purrfectpaws
08-24-2001, 09:24 PM
yikes.....yes keep us informed on what happens.

I always wonder what provokes a dog to just do something like that out of the ordinary.

zippy-kat
08-24-2001, 10:34 PM
OH MY GOODNESS!

I don't know what to say! I hope Momma is ok and I hope you don't have any problems in the future!
~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, this part of the msg is from Angel~ She's "locked" out of pettalk right now...lol (angel, you shouldn't have forgotten your "keys" lol...jk)

Cheryl,
Give Mama a HUGE hug for me. I hope she isn't in any pain. Belle was probably just being protective of you. Animals are still a mystery to us....
Give Justin, Belle, Mama and Blue big kisses from me and my girls. Keep us posted on Mama's progress. She will be fine... there is just a wee bit less of her to love :( Take care Cheryl!

Love Angel, Lexi, Sasha and Maddie :)

Daisy's Mom
08-24-2001, 10:55 PM
Oh that's awful! You must have been so scared! I am so sorry. I hope that sweet beautful Mama isn't feeling any pain. Give her kisses for me. I hope nothing like that happens again! Keep us posted.

Sudilar
08-24-2001, 11:07 PM
How horrible!!!!!! I hope Mama is ok.

Dixie Belle
08-24-2001, 11:39 PM
I swear to goodness, Mama has wild dog in her. She won't let us do anything for her. However, she went straight to the dirt. She covered the bleeding part with dirt and it is now forming a scab. She is acting like nothing in the world ever happened.

As for Belle, it is a complete dominance thing. We are unsure why she is like this. For the most part, they get along just fine. But every now and then Belle wants to show who is boss. Poor Mama tries, but she is just not big enough. We try to keep this from happening as much as possible, but it doesn't always work. This is the worst that has ever come from it.

aly
08-25-2001, 12:16 AM
Hopefully another incident like that won't happen again. Poor little Mama. I hope she's doing a lot better and not in any pain.

Speaking of St. Bernards, I have a friend from the Humane Society who has SIX, the smallest one being 210 lbs :eek: :eek: :eek: I went to his house with Reece one time and didn't put Reece down the whole time cause I thought he'd get stepped on!!!!!! Needless to say, with one lick from one of those dogs, I was DRIPPING with slobber. I loved it :)

delidog
08-25-2001, 05:22 AM
oh the daily saga of owning animals!!!!!i hope that mama is o.k.!!!! from your note it sounds like cosmetic surgery.....prayers for a speedy recovery!!!!! the deli dog :)

3-greys-and-a-mutt
08-25-2001, 05:36 PM
Our little Boo, who constantly instigates the other dogs, has twice had a few stitches on her left side. Both times Buddy got irritated with her, and, in a blink of an eye, nipped at her!
In our house, we know why this happened: greyhounds are trained to be competitive and aggressive racers. When all 3 of ours get to running together, that is the only time they get mad at each other! They growl, nip and bump into each other. After Boo getting two ow-ies, we know either run them one at a time or muzzle them if they are outside for a long period of time.

K9karen
08-25-2001, 09:35 PM
Mother nature is incredible. Mama knew to roll in dirt. I guess there's no doubt "Who's the Boss?" Lord Bless you all for having more than 1 or 2. I don't know how you do it. I'm still learning with Cody. It's amzing how you identify each personality (like kids) You are my heros. :D

*LabLoverKEB*
08-25-2001, 09:39 PM
Poor Mama!!! :( I can't believe sweet little, excuse me, BIG, Belle would do such a thing!!!! :eek: :eek: Is Mama okey????? I hope she is. I wouldn't want anything to happen to her, and I wouldn't want anything to happen to anybody's doggy! One of my friends' dogs got a cut on his ear. I hope Mama is okey! Keep us posted, and give all your doggies a big hug for me!

Dixie Belle
08-26-2001, 11:33 AM
Mama Dog is doing great. With the help of the dirt, the tear has clotted nicely. As for Belle, when we went for our walk yesterday, she left Mama alone. I think she was tempted, but I held her harness, and Mama stayed away. Hopefully, nothing else of tis sort will happen again.

AdoreMyDogs
08-28-2001, 12:44 PM
I am so sorry about Mama dog. That must have scared you, I know it would have me :(