PDA

View Full Version : "Empty" a supermarket in 131 seconds...

Randi
08-20-2017, 01:00 PM
My favourite supermarket (Irma) is turning 131 years soon, and they have a competion that I joined. You're supposed to grab everything you can in 131 seconds.

If I win, I'll wear "running" shoes... and I'll go look for items I want a few days before - of course the most expensive. :D

How would go about it? And what would you go for?

Karen
08-20-2017, 02:57 PM
Hmmm, I would make a map ahead of time, and concentrate on either items that won;t go bad, or that I could freeze, or give to people - are you allowed more than one cart? Maybe bring bags with and just sweep stuff into the bags!

mon
08-20-2017, 09:40 PM
Only a wee bit over two measly minutes eh. So, there is only you in the fully stocked grocery store and a shopping cart? Wheeeeee! I'd get me some meat and seafood, (I rarely eat either, more of a bean girl) for company and special occasions. Lotsa olive oil, and whatever my freinds and family say they want. Then I might have to buy a freezer. :D Maybe not, doesn't sound like much time now, does it. I would like to see what the winner winds up with. Hope it's not a blind 90 yr. old in a wheel chair. What??

Randi
08-21-2017, 05:27 AM
I don't know if there'll be other people in the shop, but I'll talk to them about that, I know them all quite well. :)

The person who wins are allowed no more than six items in the same category, but not hard liquor, cigarettes, telephone cards and that sort of things, but wine is included. So I would get a few good bottles.

I would also go for coffee, tea, smoked salmon, meat, cheese, cans of Spanish olives and perhaps chocolate and some sticks of Vanilla - and I'd grab som fresh raspberries and blueberries on my way in. Will check again to see exactly where things are.

This week they have an offer of three bottles of De Cecco olive oil, so I'll buy that anyway.

mon
08-21-2017, 03:41 PM
Jeeez, never even thought of wine. We don't have booze in grocery stores in B.C, actually there is two that I have seen in the lower mainland recently so I believe they are phasing it in. Sounds like a weird and fun trip, can't wait to here what they get and who it was! Please let us know.

mon
08-21-2017, 03:43 PM
Anyone catch the eclipse? Kinda eerie.

Karen
08-21-2017, 04:20 PM
It was only partial here, but yup! Look like a slice of cantaloupe above a black disk, The cron a was faint but pretty neat to see.

cassiesmom
08-21-2017, 05:08 PM
Anyone catch the eclipse? Kinda eerie.

We only got a partial eclipse in Chicago and it was too cloudy to see most of it. I was hoping for a clear, bright day to see it. When I went to lunch there was a group watching it on the computer in the break room and it looked pretty cool.

mon
08-21-2017, 05:38 PM
I just read that the Donald looked directly at the eclipse sans glasses. Actually saw a photo of him doing it. That's why he's a winner. And apparently, the Prez. :D SO funny!

phesina
08-21-2017, 05:47 PM
I think we had about 80% sun-covering here.

I didn't have the glasses, so I sat in front of my apartment (in shade) to see if it would get darker out or what might happen. Then one of my neighbors came out with a colander and a sheet of white paper. You know the pinhole effect? She put the paper on the front walk and held the colander up towards the sun. Well, all those little holes in the colander projected lots of little sun-crescents onto the paper! It was so neat to see them get smaller and smaller and then start expanding again.

So I saw the eclipse to that extent!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

cats4ever
08-21-2017, 05:51 PM
Magically, our appointment book was empty at the time of the eclipse. We got 94% totality. I was hoping it would get darker than it did, but it was still amazing. Like mon said, it was eerie, sort of a twilight.
I even got those co-workers excited who weren't excited at first. So we stood in the parking lot with cereal boxes, and I had the glasses that were passed around.
When we went back inside, the rest of the day seemed kind of blah.

cats4ever
08-21-2017, 06:19 PM
i just read that the donald looked directly at the eclipse sans glasses. Actually saw a photo of him doing it. That's why he's a winner. And apparently, the prez. :d so funny!

That sounds about right. :eek: