PDA

View Full Version : Tonight is going to be a hard night.....

Aspen and Misty
12-23-2002, 12:14 PM
We are taking Chewy to the vet to see if his medicine has been helping him, if it hasn't then, we might have to put him down. He attacked my dad last night so I'm pretty sure the medicine hasn't been working. This is so hard. I don' know what to do I don't want to take him but I know I have to. :( I'm so worried. I can't stop crying. I hope its working. I don't think it is. Please pray for him. I can't ask stress to you how much it would mean to me to know you gusy are praying. Hopefully the pet talk praying power will come through again.

Ash

primabella
12-23-2002, 12:47 PM
omg, that is so awful! aren't there any other options? i will be sending prayers that the medecine will have helped. :(:( i am so sorry :(

ramanth
12-23-2002, 12:50 PM
Thoughts and prayers that the medicine is helping.

Poor Chewy. :(

Dixieland Dancer
12-23-2002, 02:21 PM
:confused: I am sorry I don't understand what problem Chewy is having and what the medicine is suppose to be doing. Chewy is not that old if I remember correctly. Please fill me in on the info and again I apologize for not knowing if you posted this in the past.

Uabassoon
12-23-2002, 02:49 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that Ash, I hope everything turns out ok. We'll keep out fingers and paws crossed over here.

Aspen and Misty
12-23-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
:confused: I am sorry I don't understand what problem Chewy is having and what the medicine is suppose to be doing. Chewy is not that old if I remember correctly. Please fill me in on the info and again I apologize for not knowing if you posted this in the past.

Its ok, not many people do know, I have posted the info but everyone seems to not know anyway. Chewy has a thyroid problem. A thyrod problem makes dogs see the world diffrently, so when you walk towards Chewy's toy he thinks you are trying to steal it so he growls at you. He hasn't really tried ot bite anyone but my dad and Amanda and he didn't get either of them. but he did try. The medicine is supposed to help his problem, I have also been doing some training with him. Hopeing it would help. Yes Chewy is young he is only 8 months old. But it will only get worse as he gets older.

Ash

lovemyshiba
12-23-2002, 03:12 PM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Chewy tonight--is there any other option for you? Could you get a second opinion or try a different medicine?
Please let us know what happens

Dixieland Dancer
12-23-2002, 03:24 PM
I am not that versed in thyroid problems but I do believe with behavior modification and the throid medicine he should be ok. Check into rescue and see if they have anyone who can take the dog and foster him before you go the route of having him put down. Thyroid conditions can be managed. It might be as simple as finding the right medicine for him. I will keep you and Chewy in my prayers.

tatsxxx11
12-23-2002, 03:46 PM
Praying for you and precious Chewy. Perhaps the medic., a change in dosage, may be in order, and lots of training and behavior modification, which I know you're working on. Hugs to you and little Chewy. We're hoping for the best. Chewy is such a cutie:)

Cisco's Mom
12-23-2002, 03:50 PM
You, Chewy and your family will be in our hearts and prayers!!

Cisco and his Mom

popcornbird
12-23-2002, 04:00 PM
Why do you have to put him down for a thyroid problem? :confused:

Personally, I do not agree on putting pets to sleep at all unless they are in a life-threatening situation, or suffering too much. From what I now, in humans, thyroid problems only cause your hormones to get kind of messed up and can easily be controlled by medicine. Is it the same in dogs? I hope you won't have to put him down. :( Poor Chewy. :( Hope he's alright.

ChrisH
12-23-2002, 04:03 PM
Oh, Ash, I am so sorry to read this about Chewy. :( He hasn`t been on the medication very long and with the training and all he was showing an improvement in behaviour wasn`t he? So, as Candy said, perhaps it is just a matter of finding the right medication/dosage. I hope so.
I join all other Pet Talkers in keeping you and Chewy in my thoughts and prayers.

momoffuzzyfaces
12-23-2002, 04:18 PM
Prayers are on the way from me too.

Twisterdog
12-23-2002, 10:42 PM
Thyroid conditions in dogs are usually easily managed, however it sometimes takes several trips to the vet to get the exact dosage.

I hope everything works out.

Aspen and Misty
12-23-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Why do you have to put him down for a thyroid problem? :confused:

Personally, I do not agree on putting pets to sleep at all unless they are in a life-threatening situation, or suffering too much. From what I now, in humans, thyroid problems only cause your hormones to get kind of messed up and can easily be controlled by medicine. Is it the same in dogs? I hope you won't have to put him down. :( Poor Chewy. :( Hope he's alright.

I would never put Chewy to sleep for no reson! I would only put him to sleep for a good reson! When dogs have this problem they bite people or other dogs or pets!He has almost choked Teddy to death 4 or 5 times!!!!!! He has biten 2 people already and always growls at people! He will become dangerouse and could end up seriously hurting someone!

aly
12-23-2002, 11:24 PM
I would have Chewey seen by a behaviorist before making that kind of decision.

I didn't know thyroid problems caused aggression. Maybe he's got another issue on top of the thyroid? Whatever the case, I think a behaviorist can help immensely.

Good luck and my prayers are with you.

Aspen and Misty
12-23-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
Thyroid conditions in dogs are usually easily managed, however it sometimes takes several trips to the vet to get the exact dosage.

Any higher dosage and it would kill him. The doeig depends on the weight of the dog, so if we gave him 2 pills a day it would be like over doseing.

Aspen and Misty
12-23-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
I am not that versed in thyroid problems but I do believe with behavior modification and the throid medicine he should be ok.

The only reson we would have to put Chewy down is because he would become dangerouse and would bite people or attack them. If you saw him attack someone or Teddy you would be scared to. You have to see it to understand. It is so horrible. I can't even begin to explain to you how horrible it is.

Originally posted by aly
I would have Chewey seen by a behaviorist before making that kind of decision.

I didn't know thyroid problems caused aggression. Maybe he's got another issue on top of the thyroid? Whatever the case, I think a beviorist can help immensely.

Good luck and my prayers are with you.

We have been seeing a behaviorst for almost 4 months. I called her AS SOON as he developed this problem.

Twisterdog
12-23-2002, 11:32 PM
There are many different strengths of thyroid pills available. Dogs from four pound chihuahuas to two hundred pound mastiffs all take thyroid medication. Some pills might be, for example, 1 miligram, while other pills might be 100 miligrams. The dosage can be raised or lowered in tiny increments, until the right dosage is found. I have probably 20 customers whose dogs are on thyroid medication, and they all take different strength pills ... some take 1 pill, some 2 1/2 pills, some 1/2 of a pill in the morning and 1/4 of a pill at night. If you have a good vet, the correct dosage CAN be found to manage the thyroid condition.

However .. I have to agree with Aly ... I've never heard of thyroid imbalance causing aggression. Mostly, the problems associated with thyroid problems are excessive weight gain or loss, and problems with the coat. I know a lot of dogs with thyroid problems, and none of them were ever aggresive. If I were you, I would look into seeing a behaviorst, professional trainer and/or a new vet.

Aspen and Misty
12-23-2002, 11:34 PM
Well, now, how the apointment went. We took him off the medcine since it was not helping. My behaviorist, told us to continue doing the things she instrucetd us to and that he may be having agressive problems because He has Aussie in him. Aussie's have terrible tyrod problems. They are wel known for the thyrod problems. Also, Bow legged dogs, like Chewy, have agression problems, so I'm told. We will see what happens. She said " Unless he bites someone bad I would like to continue working with him untill he turns 18 months old, we will make our decision then". The vet also said " I have a suggestion for you, but you don't want to hear it". He ment we should probly put him down, since the medcine isn't working (I aksed what he ment). So thats how it went. He has been pretty good expect he dived on Teddy today to keep him from getting his bone, luckly he had his head harness on and I could save Teddy from some more bite wounds.

Ash

Aspen and Misty
12-23-2002, 11:36 PM
There are many different strengths of thyroid pills available. Dogs from four pound chihuahuas to two hundred pound mastiffs all take thyroid medication. Some pills might be, for example, 1 miligram, while other pills might be 100 miligrams. The dosage can be raised or lowered in tiny increments, until the right dosage is found. I have probably 20 customers whose dogs are on thyroid medication, and they all take different strength pills ... some take 1 pill, some 2 1/2 pills, some 1/2 of a pill in the morning and 1/4 of a pill at night. If you have a good vet, the correct dosage CAN be found to manage the thyroid condition.

O see my Vet told me that there was only one kind of Dosage, cause I did ask him if we could higher the dosage or give him a diffrent kind and he said no a higher dosage would kill him and therei s no other kind. Hmm, I guess a trip to a diffrent vet is in order, thanks for clearing that up.

Aspen and Misty
12-23-2002, 11:41 PM

However .. I have to agree with Aly ... I've never heard of thyroid imbalance causing aggression. Mostly, the problems associated with thyroid problems are excessive weight gain or loss, and problems with the coat. I know a lot of dogs with thyroid problems, and none of them were ever aggresive. If I were you, I would look into seeing a behaviorst, professional trainer and/or a new vet.

Thats strange because as soon as I said Agression problems and Aussie she said Thyrod Test. She said all the agressive Aussie's she has seen have a thyrod problems. I am seeing a behaviorist, as I have said. She is extremly well known and people come from all over to have theree dogs trained by her. I think we are going ot a new vet. Also, what kind of Thyrod problem are you talking about?

Ash

wolf_Q
12-24-2002, 01:18 AM
My mom is convinced that Australian Shepards are evil. Apparently my aunt had one, and it kind of went psycho on my uncle and her and bit them badly. BUT, that was before I was born, and I don't know anything about the dog or the situation.

There is a lady around here who rescues australian shepards. She's brought in several to the grooming...we bath/brush them for free. There's 4 that I just loved, total LOVE BUG dogs, just following me everywhere, licking, snuggling.....they were the sweetest dogs in the world! And the other 3 (which also happen to not be as pretty as the sweet ones......not that look has anything to do with it, but they may have not been purebreds) were well....not so nice. They were all really dog aggressive, and very unpredictable.

What is my point? I don't know...I'm just telling you my experiences with Australian Shepards. I still love the breed, and I miss my red Cherokee boy I wanted to adopt. :(

I also have not heard of thyroid problems causing aggressiveness. I thought mainly that caused weight gain and things like that. Not that I really know....I just had a friend with a really fat dalmatian that had thyroid problems....

I really HOPE that the final result does not end up with Chewy being put to sleep. He's still a young dog, he still has some growing up to do. I wish you all the luck with him, I know that you love him.

Hmm...I wonder if there's a way the Aussie rescue here would take him.....Would a transport ever be possible??

anna_66
12-24-2002, 07:58 AM
Well, I guess I'm completely out of the loop. I know you said Chewy was being aggressive, but I don't remember about the thryroid problem.
Angus has hypothyroidism and takes thyroid pills. Did your vet tell you what the name of his condition was? I'm with everyone else, I've never heard of a thyroid problem making them agressive either. Anyways, I just hope you can get all of this under control so you don't have to get rid of him or put him down.
Take Care
Anna

Stenograsaurus
12-24-2002, 08:18 AM
I was going to suggest going to another vet for a second opinion. 2 plus 2 is not equaling 4 with this thyroid thing. In the meantime, I'll pray that everything goes okay.

ParNone
12-24-2002, 08:19 AM
I recently got bit by Maddie accidently. Oz lately has decided it's
great fun to poke Maddie with his nose to try and get her to
play. The trainer told me to tell him "Enough" and stop him.
Well he poked her and she gave a warning growl. He then
came bounding back to try again, so I was telling him "Enough"
and stupidly put my arm between him and Maddie to push him
back. She lunged at him, not expecting my arm to be there and
nailed me in the arm. I guess I should point out she's blind,
which is why she didn't know my arm was going to be there.

She sounded real ferorious, like she was out for blood,
but the reality is she didn't even break the skin. I don't think
she had any intention of hurting Oz, just wanted to send a
message to him to back off. To us humans, I think dogs can
sound a lot worse than what the situation really is. I also think
the next time I'm going to let her handle the situation herself.
It would have been a whole lot more effective if Oz had gotten
the warning bite vs. me.

Anywho I think I'd check out the rescue route before I put a dog
down. They could find him an only dog house with a person who
maybe has some experience dealing with aggressive dogs.

Par...

primabella
12-24-2002, 09:37 AM
oh, well i'm glad that they didn't put chewy down yet. i'm praying extra hard that the medicine kicks in. and if you celebrate it, try to have a merry christmas ash :(

Aspen and Misty
12-24-2002, 12:12 PM
I think all of you are talking about a T-3 thyrod. And since you didn't answeer my question I'm guessing you didn't know what kind they were. My trainer caleld me today to see how to apointment went yesterday and I asked her about it because I was upset there was something else we could do, and we weren't doing it.I asked her about it and she Laughed at me. LOL. She said "T-3 is where a dog looses or gains alot of weight, T-4, like Chewy, Is where a dog is agressive. The Reson why Dr. Winton (my vet) doesn't do the right test is because he does a T-3 not a T-4 because T-4's are so rare. So your friends (ya'll) who were talking about the other types of medcine were talking about medicine for a T-3 not a T-4." So, I was correct with my information, its just me and you were talking about diffrent types, Now dont' go and try to tell me some of the dogs you guys were talking about had T-4, cause that would be a Lie.

Ash

mruffruff
01-02-2003, 12:38 PM
I guess I'll have to tell my vet that Bear should be more aggressive!

Bear is diabetic and has a thyroid imbalance. He's had 2 T4 tests two months apart and has been taking medication every day. At first it was 1/2 of a soloxine tablet twice a day, now its a full tablet , but a different strength and kind. It has changed the amount of insulin he gets twice a day, but he sure hasn't been any more or less aggressive.

I think I would be inclined to get a second opinion from another vet. Something doesn't sound right.

Mary

ownerof3dogs
01-08-2003, 10:34 PM
I just wanted to say that a work at a Animal Hospital and so I do alot of the blood test there includng the thyroid tests. The only test we do for it is the T-4. And the My vet says that weight gain and hair loss are syptoms of a thyroid problem and then we test for it using the T-4.

I would get a second opinion from a different vet. I am not saying thyroid problems can't cause aggression problems, but i have never heard of it.

Also I just wanted to say that Hercules is half Aussie and he is pretty aggressive to strangers and children. I never knew that Aussie were considered aggressive. So maybe that explains Hercs behavior. Hercules's brother is the same way.