PDA

View Full Version : Third Eyelid Showing

moosmom
12-23-2002, 08:13 AM
I need some guidance here. My cat Maya Linn has diarrhea and her third eyelid is showing a little. According to the Cornell University's Book of Cats, that is an indication of a gastrointestinal upset. I had been giving them Friskies canned food and bought Fancy Feast as a treat. That leads me to believe that is what is upsetting her stomach.

I think I just answered my own question, which was what can I use to stop her diarrhea?? When Casey was a baby, he had diarrhea all the time. The vet told me to give him 1 ml of Pepto Bismal. It did the trick.

I've heard of feeding them pumpkin or putting rice in their food. Any other ideas?? I can't get an appt till Saturday. In the meantime I'll keep an eye on her. She is eating, using the box and seems playful when I throw her ball so it's not affecting her that much.

ramanth
12-23-2002, 11:44 AM
I'm not sure what you could do other than cut back on the food and treats that are considered "rich", and try a bland diet.

I hope she gets feeling better real soon.

Cataholic
12-23-2002, 03:48 PM
I think I would lay off the rich wet food....and no snacks for now. Poor little kitty. I have also used Pepto Bismal with great success....I didn't know that about the third eyelid...thanks for the information. Keep us posted!!! Good luck!

Uabassoon
12-23-2002, 03:55 PM
I'd take her to the vet just in case. Because when the third eyelid is showing it could mean many different things. That happened to Corkscrew a while back, I figured it was just an eye infection, so I took him in. It turned out he was so sick that his eyes were sinking back that why the extra eyelid was showing. He had a coronavirus, and if I hadn't have caught it quick enough it could have led to FIP. But I think if she's still pretty active she's fine, but I'll keep fingers and paws crossed that she feels better soon.

neko1
12-23-2002, 04:59 PM
Definately use the pepto or kaopectate (sp?) and the rice for the diarrhea. Hope she's feeling better soon!

Sara luvs her Tinky
12-23-2002, 08:37 PM
That happened to Tinky when she was a kitten... her third eyelid was showing and had dirahea. She ended up having worms.
But if you don't see any worms in the stool or Maya Linn's tummy is not swollen then it could be something else. Poor kitty.

krazyaboutkatz
12-23-2002, 09:29 PM
Donna, I sure hope that Maya Linn feels better soon. If not I'd take her to the vet asap. Please keep us posted. All fingers and paws are crossed here. Good luck.

moosmom
12-24-2002, 12:22 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I've found the culprit. I had a sweater with beads on it laying in my spare bedroom. As I was cleaning and picking up today I noticed a whole bunch of beads on the blanket the cats usually lay on. I THINK she might have been chewing on them. I've given her a dose of Flagil to stop the diarrhea and am keeping an eye on her. One good thing is there is no blood in her stools or I'd take her straight to emergency. She's eating, running around, drinking and using the box so I think the beads are making their way out of her system. Her third eyelids are still out and a little more prominent than before. But I'm going to see how the Flagil works. If things don't improve, off to the vet she goes.

Whoever would've thought it was the beads from the sweater. Let's hope she passes them. I just pray she doesn't get any stuck in her intestinal tract. (damn cat!!!) :mad:

Cataholic
12-24-2002, 05:31 PM
Maybe from now on you should only buy sweaters that have XXL beads on them :D :eek: :D