PDA

View Full Version : Gardening Folks - Butterfly Shrubs

Karen
04-25-2015, 08:22 PM
I keep getting spam for "butterfly vines, butterfly shrubs, butterfly bushes ..." I just makes me think of the time we bought my Dad one for Father's Day one year - something different for the gardens was always a good bet - and then Paul and I vacationed in England, and I realized they were growing on every abandoned bit of railway, empty lot ...

I called my Dad when we got home, and said, "Sorry Dad, we didn't know we were gifting you with weeds!"

Now spammers think i wanna buy them?

Does anyone have one in their yard? Do you notice increased butterfly traffic?

mon
04-25-2015, 08:44 PM
Ha-ha, SPAM eh? Ignore, delete, repeat.

Karen
04-25-2015, 08:52 PM
Ha-ha, SPAM eh? Ignore, delete, repeat.

Oh, trust me, I do, every time, just thought the subject was interesting. I don't even open e'm, just mark 'em as junk and away they go!

Pinot's Mom
04-26-2015, 11:37 AM
We have several butterfly bushes. They DO grow very well and are very easy to root. The butterflies love them. One bit of advise; cut them way back every year or they'll get as big as your house.

Karen
04-26-2015, 11:47 AM
We have several butterfly bushes. They DO grow very well and are very easy to root. The butterflies love them. One bit of advise; cut them way back every year or they'll get as big as your house.

What colors do you have? Do you notice more butterflies now?

Pinot's Mom
04-26-2015, 12:00 PM
I believe we have white and a pinkish purple. Yes, the butterflies are all over them.

Karen
04-26-2015, 06:34 PM
I believe we have white and a pinkish purple. Yes, the butterflies are all over them.

Oh, cool - if they are where Pinot can see them from a window, that must make for riveting kitty tv!

Freedom
04-30-2015, 03:37 PM
There is one at the Methuen house, and yep it always has butterflies all over it!

cassiesmom
04-30-2015, 04:22 PM
Buddleia? My mom and dad's neighbor in Berwyn had a couple of them and they grew like crazy, low and wide. She liked them because they added color to her garden. I'm not sure how many butterflies she attracted, though.

Karen
04-30-2015, 08:29 PM
Now the spammers are calling them hummingbird vines - I am guessing it's the same thing, I have not bothered opening the emails to see. And it's funny, some have subject lines like, "grows well anywhere" to which I mentally respond, "Well, yeah - it's a weed!"