View Full Version : Orion broke his leg.!

Blustang24
12-22-2002, 02:27 PM
Well im new to pettalk. My name is Kenny Knapp. My lil sister KayAnn told me to come here for your guys help. Im not sure what you can do but she says you all have always been there for her. It appears that orion had slipped off the top of the refridgerator while we were gone the other eveing. We took him to the Vet ER and found out he broke his leg. It cant be set back in place so the vet is going to have to perform surgery which is very costly. The ER room bill was already $250 and the surgery is estimated $600-700 for pins and wire. Orion is a very sweet lovable kitten and i would do anything to get him back to normal. If you guys could help that would be great. I feel bad asking for help but im only doing it becouse KayAnn said you guys are great here. I look forward to talking with all of you more often and i will keep you up to date on Orions health. Orion is Honeys playmate and Simbas adopted brother.

Address:
Kenny & Lauren
4540 Ontario Drive
New Pork Richey, FL 34652

Hope everyone has a great christmas and a happy newyear. :-)

Kfamr
12-22-2002, 06:12 PM
Please. Anyone that can help, anything at all, even if it is a few dollars, it will be appreciated very much. We are very low in money and we do not want to get rid of this kitten and do not want him in pain. PLEASE HELP.

rosethecopycat
12-22-2002, 08:48 PM
I think I could donate, but it would have to be directly to the Vet.
Give us that information if you can. Maybe some can be donated in Orion's name.

Sorry, I've been 'taken' too many times.:confused:

Kfamr
12-22-2002, 09:08 PM
I'll get that information from my brother a.s.a.p.... Thank you so much.

HoRsELUvR
12-23-2002, 07:12 AM
i'd love to help and maybe i could get my friends to help,too.he certainly is a cute kitty and im sorry about what happened.

Karen
12-23-2002, 12:17 PM
What's happening, we are concerned!

Karen
12-23-2002, 12:26 PM
Just so folks know this IS real, I just spoke to KayAnn's Dad, and left a message for her to call me. (He said "she's up all night on Pet Talk, that's why she's napping now!") When she does, we'll get an update on Orion, poor kitty, and how people can help.

Kfamr
12-23-2002, 12:31 PM
I talked to my brother on AIM last night after a few of you PMed me. He said he's going to talk to the vet today. They have orion in a splint. I'll let you know more when I find out. Thank you for being so concerned.

tatsxxx11
12-23-2002, 04:55 PM
Let us know, KayAnn. Saying healing prayers for Orion. What a precious kitty. You're a good sister!!:)

Blustang24
12-23-2002, 05:03 PM
Hi all! We took Orion to the vet's today. They will be performing surgery on his leg tomorrow afternoon/evening. Our vet is doing Orion a favor and staying late and performing the surgery. I spoke with the vet about donations and he said to make checks payable to Tarpon Animal Hospital and in the memo specify Orion's name and www.petoftheday.com. His surgery will consist of having pins and wires. He will have a pin sticking out of his leg for 6-8 weeks. After the 6-8 weeks it will be unscrewed from his leg to allow the flesh to heal. Right now he is staying at the vet's office. We miss him so much. Please have your thoughts and prayers with him. Thanks you all so very much.

If you do donate, please inform us so that we can thank you promptly and properly. Again, thanks alot.

Lauren, Kenny, Honey, and Orion.

[email protected]

Tarpon Animal Hospital
43695 U.S. Highway 19
Tarpon Springs, FL 34689
(727)934-0884

tatsxxx11
12-23-2002, 06:04 PM
Oh, thank goodness Orion is getting his needed surgery!! What a kind, generous and compassionate vet you've got there! That's what Christmas is all about! Prayers are on the way for Orion's speedy and complete recovery! He sure is one little cutie pie!! Get well soon, sweetie pie! Love, Sandra

slleipnir
12-23-2002, 07:08 PM
Thats great news! He's such a cute kitty, hope his recovery goes well :D

krazyaboutkatz
12-23-2002, 10:22 PM
I'm so glad that Orion is getting the surgery done. Prayers are on the way for a speedy recovery. Please keep us updated on his progress.

Blustang24
12-25-2002, 11:07 PM
Well, for those who celebrate it, I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. The vet changed the surgery to tomorrow (12/26/02) so that he could monitor him more carefully after the surgery. So we hope it goes well. We should know more tomorrow afternoon/early evening. Thanks for all the support. :)

Uabassoon
12-25-2002, 11:16 PM
Good luck tomorrow. Orion I hope everything goes well tomorrow, and you have a good recovery.

Miss Meow
12-26-2002, 03:57 AM
Hope the surgery went well today. We're sending good thoughts from this part of the world.

Cataholic
12-26-2002, 01:25 PM
Good luck today, Orion! I sent a little something your way...and, of course, prayers are going up! Paws and tails crossed here for a successful and speedy recovery.

aly
12-26-2002, 11:33 PM
Good luck sweet Orion boy! I hope all went well.

NoahsMommy
12-27-2002, 02:33 PM
Sending prayers your way sweetie.

Blustang24
12-27-2002, 03:17 PM
Orion's surgery went well. We will be picking him up tomorrow (Saturday 12/28/02). I can't wait until i see him. I miss him so much. I just wanted to let all of you know that I appreciate your generosity and kindness and prayers. I am glad there are still so many caring and understanding people in this world, especially so caring and understanding to animals. It really makes a world of difference. Thanks again!

Lauren

AdoreMyDogs
12-27-2002, 10:06 PM
I am glad that the surgery went well. I am awefully sorry about the whole experience, but with the outpouring of well wishes, prayers, and financial assistance, Orion is in good hands :) Hugs to the little guy for me. I hope he has a quick recovery.

RockyRoad
01-01-2003, 07:15 PM
I'm a bit late here, but I knew I saw this thread before.
I am so happy Orion's surgery went well. That was very very sweet of your vet and anyone who donated to help. He is such a cutie. :)
Britt, Floppsy, Lady, Sally, Kelsey, Fifa, Popcorn, Bubbles, and Mooka.

gini
01-02-2003, 11:04 AM
Please let us know how Orion is doing! Prayers are being sent for his speedy recovery!

Cataholic
01-03-2003, 04:06 PM
How is Orion???

Blustang24
01-03-2003, 09:33 PM
Hi all! Well, Orion is doing okay. :D Last night his screw started coming through his skin on his hip. :eek: So, I took him to the vet's today, but the vet said that in order for it to heal properly he needed to cut the screw at a longer length than the bone, since the screw will be in there 6-8 weeks and he's still growing. If he were to cut it flush with the bone, the bone would then grow over it and wouldn't be able to be removed. So, what the end of the screw is doing is making a callous (sp?). It is going to make a tough spot on the inside of his tissue therefore allowing the tiny hole or heal. once the screw is removed in 6-8 weeks, then the callous will disappear. Next Friday (1/10/03) I will be bringing him to the vets to get his sutures removed. Yay! I can't wait, and I bet he can't either. He's walking as well as can be expected. He is still limping a bit, but what do u expect!? ;) I will hopefully have some pics of him soon, as well as before and after pics of his xrays! :) Thanks again everyone.

krazyaboutkatz
01-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the update. I'm so glad that he's doing so well. :)

Cincy'sMom
01-04-2003, 05:12 PM
Glad to here Orion is doing well! Keep us posted!

Kfamr
01-06-2003, 01:58 PM
I'm glad Orion is doing alright. You NEED to bring Honey over, i ahven't seen her in a long time and i bet Simba is dieing to play with her!

PS. Thanks for the Nelly poster :D :D

luckies4me
01-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Glad to hear that your kitty is doing well!:)

But I amcurious why when Mystic was hurt everyone gave me a HARD time because I was out of money at that time and pretty much let me have it, but with this guy, everyone seems so sympathetic etc. It makes NO sense at all, that some of you can yell at me and call me names etc. when I was going through a hard time with my kitty but then turn around and show him kindness? He also didn't have the money, I didn't hear anyone saying he should get rid of his animals and that he doesn't care...:rolleyes: :mad:

Nomilynn
01-06-2003, 08:02 PM
I'm glad to hear that Orion is doing well. I didn't see this thread until just today. :)

wolf_Q
01-06-2003, 08:36 PM
I'm so glad that Orion is feeling better! He is such a sweet little kitten!! :) I haven't seen KayAnn online in a while...I need to see new pics of him, Honey (and Simba of course!)

Originally posted by luckies4me
Glad to hear that your kitty is doing well!:)

But I amcurious why when Mystic was hurt everyone gave me a HARD time because I was out of money at that time and pretty much let me have it, but with this guy, everyone seems so sympathetic etc. It makes NO sense at all, that some of you can yell at me and call me names etc. when I was going through a hard time with my kitty but then turn around and show him kindness? He also didn't have the money, I didn't hear anyone saying he should get rid of his animals and that he doesn't care...:rolleyes: :mad:

They have one cat, and one dog. I don't know how many pets you have, but it is certainly more then that. We were not being rude, you just took it that way. What we were trying to get across to you is that when you have multiple pets, you are responsible for multiple pets...and if you were not financially able to take just ONE cat to the vet....I'll stop there.

Plus they took Orion to the vet the day it happened. I'm not sure when you finally took Mystic to the vet, but it was not the day it happened.

luckies4me
01-06-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
I'm so glad that Orion is feeling better! He is such a sweet little kitten!! :) I haven't seen KayAnn online in a while...I need to see new pics of him, Honey (and Simba of course!)

They have one cat, and one dog. I don't know how many pets you have, but it is certainly more then that. We were not being rude, you just took it that way. What we were trying to get across to you is that when you have multiple pets, you are responsible for multiple pets...and if you were not financially able to take just ONE cat to the vet....I'll stop there.

Plus they took Orion to the vet the day it happened. I'm not sure when you finally took Mystic to the vet, but it was not the day it happened.

I CAN afford my pets which is why I have so many. Mystic DID go to the vet, the NEXT day!!! Which was because our regular vet was closed and the ER refused to see him, after they said they would....they said it would be a waste of time for him to come in because he would just have to wait for my regular vet to do any neccesary procedures.

Don't talk to me like I'm stupid, I have a family and know darn well how to care for them and my pets, I am not 16! Of course I am responsible, I don't have pets for toys. I have them for companionship and as family. We didn't ask for our business to go through rough times, nor for that to happen to Mystic. As far as how many pets I have, I have as many as I can afford. Do you know how much money it takes to breed rats? NOONE gets rich off of breeding, we are lucky if we make even. Do you know how much it is for a doe to have a C section if she is having problems delivering her kittens? Around 200 bucks! ALL my pets are spayed/neutered, vaccinated dewormed etc. and recieve vet care when they need it, just like Mystic.

If you want I will gladly send you all of my vet transactions and then you may change your mind....

Do you care for Nebo and your other dogs, or do your parents do it for you? You will NOT know what the responsibility is until you can care for them yourself, you are on your own etc. And as far as I am concerned that can't be accomplished on minimum wage working at PetCo.

luckies4me
01-06-2003, 11:31 PM
I just wanted to say sorry. Pegnancy messes with every part of your body, your attitude changes ect. Ihave been VERY sick lately, and I amjust going through a lot right now, sorry :(

wolf_Q
01-06-2003, 11:39 PM
Hey, you asked, I told. Don't jump down my throat! YOU are the one who brought it up. I'm just telling you my opinion. Take it as you will. I was not saying anything on your present situation with finances and pets, I was commenting on why I posted what I did in the Mystic thread. If you don't want people to comment, don't post about it. And I don't recall ever calling you stupid.

p.s. I do not care for Reggie and Smokey, as they are the family dogs, not mine. Nebo is my dog, and I take care of him fully. I pay for all his vet bills, his premium food, treats, toys, etc. And it is not easy making $6 an hour. He also went to the vet multiple times when he was younger, and I didn't even have a job at the time.

Cataholic
01-07-2003, 11:17 AM

I CAN afford my pets which is why I have so many. Mystic DID go to the vet, the NEXT day!!! Which was because our regular vet was closed and the ER refused to see him, after they said they would....they said it would be a waste of time for him to come in because he would just have to wait for my regular vet to do any neccesary procedures.

Don't talk to me like I'm stupid, I have a family and know darn well how to care for them and my pets, I am not 16! Of course I am responsible, I don't have pets for toys. I have them for companionship and as family. We didn't ask for our business to go through rough times, nor for that to happen to Mystic. As far as how many pets I have, I have as many as I can afford. Do you know how much money it takes to breed rats? NOONE gets rich off of breeding, we are lucky if we make even. Do you know how much it is for a doe to have a C section if she is having problems delivering her kittens? Around 200 bucks! ALL my pets are spayed/neutered, vaccinated dewormed etc. and recieve vet care when they need it, just like Mystic.

If you want I will gladly send you all of my vet transactions and then you may change your mind....

Do you care for Nebo and your other dogs, or do your parents do it for you? You will NOT know what the responsibility is until you can care for them yourself, you are on your own etc. And as far as I am concerned that can't be accomplished on minimum wage working at PetCo.

Luckies4me- that was totally out of bounds, way out of order, uncalled for, and pretty much sums up why I was critical of you and your situation. I don't feel like you acted responsibly, I feel as if you misled us, and you totally totally totally take things so far out of any normal context. The saying that comes to my mind is, "if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen".

Cataholic
01-07-2003, 11:19 AM
I just wanted to say sorry. Pegnancy messes with every part of your body, your attitude changes ect. Ihave been VERY sick lately, and I amjust going through a lot right now, sorry :(

And this? What sort of lame, immature excuse is this? Quite frankly, your issue is not your physical sickness...and, btw? Pregnancy is NOT A DISEASE OR DISORDER. It is a condition- deal with it.

luckies4me
01-07-2003, 12:01 PM
You've obviously never have been pregnant!

And frankly everythig I said was true, and I don't regret any of it anyway. Don't tell me how to deal withpregnancy, especially since you have no kids! I know how to deal with it, I have been pregnant three times.

And just so you know, when you are pregnant every aspect of your life changes. You are NOT the same. As for it being a condition, for some women it IS a condition, until the baby comes out. They are put on bed rest for risk of [premature labor, develope gestational diabetes, ketone levels sky rocket etc. Don't refer to something youhave never experienced, and if you did, not all the way!

gini
01-07-2003, 12:02 PM
OH MY!!!

Cataholic
01-07-2003, 12:02 PM
You've obviously never have been pregnant!

And frankly everythig I said was true, and I don't regret any of it anyway. Don't tell me how to deal withpregnancy, especially since you have no kids! I know how to deal with it, I have been pregnant three times.

And just so you know, when you are pregnant every aspect of your life changes. You are NOT the same. As for it being a condition, for some women it IS a condition, until the baby comes out. They are put on bed rest for risk of [premature labor, develope gestational diabetes, ketone levels sky rocket etc. Don't refer to something youhave never experienced, and if you did, not all the way!

You are so unbalanced. I feel for your child, both the born and unborn. May you find a good mental health counselor, and soon.

luckies4me
01-07-2003, 12:04 PM
Well that only proves how close minded youare. Unwilling to learn etc. This is just way too silly...Go ahread and feelsorry for my kids, I know how to provide for them etcetera. Your opinion is just one out of hundreds of people I know.

Cataholic
01-07-2003, 12:10 PM
Well that only proves how close minded youare. Unwilling to learn etc. This is just way too silly...Go ahread and feelsorry for my kids, I know how to provide for them etcetera. Your opinion is just one out of hundreds of people I know.

Well, I am not sure anyone has ever accused me of being 'unwilling to learn'...he he he, but, I might suggest the learning curve for you would be tremendous in some counseling sessions. Maybe just a few to focus on, oh, I don't know, your aggession? Inability to control your moods? Oh, wait, how about fiscal responsibility? Or, maybe, your selfpity?

Freckles
01-07-2003, 12:52 PM
WHAT'S THE LATEST ON ORION?

Cataholic
01-07-2003, 01:29 PM
I pm'd Kfamr yesterday, and she and her dad were planning on going to visit Orion last night. But, plans changed. They might do it today, but, in any event, she said she would let us know as soon as she found out:)

Kfamr
01-07-2003, 02:04 PM
THIS IS NOT ABOUT WHO HELPED WHO. THIS IS ABOUT ORION SO QUIT IT. Just please quit your .....ing and stop it already. THANK YOU.

I'm going to try and go to my brother's today and take pictures for you all. I'm VERY tired from getting a new schedual at school, New classes, harder work, VERY HECTIC. Plus my brother is buisy alot, working, so We have to make a time for when i can go over there. Hopefully that will be today, i dunno i still have to call him. I'll be bringing my digital camera to take pictures, the batteries have been in the charger all night. From what my dad has told me Orion has a cone around his neck for he will not mess with his incision. I'll get al much info from my brother as i can.

Kfamr
01-07-2003, 02:07 PM
I could say so much immature comments right now, but i'll be mature about some of the subjects that shouldn't have been brought up in this thread.

Kfamr
01-07-2003, 02:34 PM
On my way to my brother's right now!

Cataholic
01-07-2003, 02:41 PM
WITH THE CAMERA?? PLEASE!!!!!!

Karen
01-07-2003, 02:54 PM
Thanks, KayAnn - we want a full kitten-breath report! :)

Kfamr
01-07-2003, 05:40 PM
PICTURES!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid46/p7c2ad4e42819307c5404394381e18ea7/fccff1d7.jpg
His Leg-
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid46/p4549d665b2a9a199410a99b361c193fb/fccff248.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid46/p60ca7fd8465cc940ac5e0b2d937b6729/fccff262.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid46/p79850913cacc735e3498984eb3654be5/fccff260.jpg

Lauren and I are off to PetsMart..... I'll post more later! Even some of Honey!

Logan
01-07-2003, 05:56 PM
Thank you, Kay Ann, for the beautiful pictures of Orion, sutures and all!!! What a precious kitten!!! Hope everything will be :) for him from now on!!!

Logan

krazyaboutkatz
01-07-2003, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the pics. He sure is cute. I sure hope he heals up quickly. :)

wolf_Q
01-07-2003, 11:59 PM
Wow, Orion has grown! He is an absolutely gorgeous cat. That poor leg looks so sore. :( I hope he will be feeling better soon. Thanks for posting the pics! I want to see some of Honey too!

p.s. I am sorry for replying to luckies4me's post. I knew I should have just ignored her post. Sorry. :(

luckies4me
01-08-2003, 12:15 AM
Aww, poor kitty. Glad to hear he is doing well. :)

NaplesLex
01-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Orion is so darn cute!! I was expecting a cast or something!?!? broke his leg, got pins in it, and no cast or anything to hold it together? Wow. Incredible. :)

Cataholic
01-08-2003, 10:05 AM
OHHHHHH....Poor Orion! It looks so painful!!!!! KA- is he getting around ok? I would feel better if I knew it looked worse than it was! That looks like such a huge OWIE!

He is one good looking orange dude, though, isn't he? Thanks for the photos!!!

Blustang24
01-08-2003, 01:54 PM
Orion had definately grown!!! :eek: He weighed 3.5lbs when we adopted him about 1 1/2 months ago and now he weighs 5 lbs. :)

Orion is also getting around alright. He limps and babies his leg a little bit, but not too much. He's doing much better than i thought he would do. It does look worse than it really is. His skin in completely healed when the sutures are. Right above the sutures there was a little hole. (see pic)(now closed up) where the screw came through his skin, but now it has formed a callous to protect the skin. It will go away when the screw is removed in about 6 weeks.

As I type this he is playing around with a cardboard box. lol He's actually running around like a little devil lol! :confused: I guess his leg must not hurt him too much. I try to keep him in a large crate some of the day when I'm not home, so that he doesn't jump off of things that are too high or tear around the house too much. Well I must go, I will give another update after I take him to the vets on Friday. Thanks again everyone for your concern.

Lauren

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid46/p1f4a1d7a515a65cac2f56d591a482565/fccee5cd.jpg

NaplesLex
01-08-2003, 10:22 PM
doesn't he lick it and stuff????

:) Alexis <><

sandragonfly
01-09-2003, 03:40 AM
Oh no...missed the whole thing until just now - Wow...so godawfully experience you (and Orion) have experienced! But the important thing The Dear Gorgeous Orion had his speedy recovery! And looks so great in the pictures too - I'm having this BIG GRIN on now...(Ow it hurts) My cat must be wondering why.. ;) I'm really really HAPPY for you! Yippeeeee! Belate-Yays for you :) - Thanks KayAnn and the brother for letting us be involved...it made me feel so bond...great isn't it?! See you soon!

Vio&Juni
01-09-2003, 05:54 AM
I am so glad for Orion! Poor kitty, that must've hurt :(

AmberLee
01-09-2003, 05:17 PM
Wow! That's even more invasive than I'd realized. So glad to read that he's getting around smoothly under the circumstances.

Blustang24
01-11-2003, 02:43 PM
Well, I took Orion to the vet yesterday (friday) and he got the sutures removed. The vets said he is doing well and recovering quickly. He will still need to have his screw in his leg for 5-6 more weeks. I'll give an update as soon as I get one. Thanks again all! :D

AmberLee
01-11-2003, 04:18 PM
Whew, thank you for the update. Hope the little guy is feeling better.

krazyaboutkatz
01-11-2003, 05:41 PM
I'm so glad that he's doing so well. Thanks for the update. :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-13-2003, 10:00 AM
I'm so late to this, but I'm so glad to hear he's doing better. He's such a little cutie, and I really love that picture you have in your signature. :)

Blustang24
01-22-2003, 01:47 PM
I went to go visit Orion last night. He's gotten sooooooo big. he weighs about 6 lbs now. The good news is, he is walking practically normal now. He barely even limps, if at all. He gets his screw out of his leg in probably 4 weeks. Then back to the completely normal life for him....hopefully no jumping off of high things, falling off of high things, or even going on high things lol. I will try to get some pics tonight, or really soon. Talk to you all later!

Bagd84MonteSS
06-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Well i was looking up on here to show my family orion when he was a kitten and was explaining about how he broke his leg and how PT was a great help to us...... Well 8 years later orion is still the kitten he was and he is still the greatest cat. over the years me and lauren split and i kept orion. i also have 2 dogs and he is great with both. 1 dog is about 2 years old - golden retriever (bailey) and my other dog is an american wolf / austrailian sheppard mix (resses) about 6 months old and growing - 60lbs already. again thanks to everyone.

kenny / orion / bailey / resses peices

Catty1
06-13-2010, 11:34 PM
So great to hear! I hope Lauren is doing well.

Would love to see pics of your fur family! Thanks so much for the update.:)

Bagd84MonteSS
06-15-2010, 06:17 PM
So great to hear! I hope Lauren is doing well.

Would love to see pics of your fur family! Thanks so much for the update.:)

Like i said we split years ago!...is there anyone on here that was 8years ago? If so thanks again for the help.

Catty1
06-15-2010, 08:49 PM
I know you two split - I just hope she is well, but don't know if you two stayed in touch. My apologies.

Just wondered if you had current pics of Orion that could be posted, that's all. :)