PDA

View Full Version : What do you think??

luckies4me
12-22-2002, 12:54 PM
Ok, I have never had this happen and I am just plain confused! And to have three seperate litters, around the same age, bred by different breeders in different states! Now that is weird........oh yes, and they have never seen it also!

So here's the story. You see, if you all remember, my Double Rex doe Wrinkles the Second had a litter of ten babies on the 8th, at 3:30 AM. Sadly, we lost two babies.

Anyways, when the babies were two days old and had their color comming in, I noticed that one of the cinnamon kittens had what looks like a dent in his head. He is healthy, active etc. and has no problems. But.............

Two more breeders, with kittens the same age also have ONE baby with the same thing. :confused:

I am just really hoping that this is not a new mutation, effecting the formation of the skull, and hopefully this is caused by having a big litter, and one baby pressing on the other.

So what do you all think. I find it very ironic that two more breeders are experiencing the same thing at the same time, with the same age in kittens.

And just to clarify, I am talking about rats. ;)

luckies4me
12-22-2002, 01:52 PM
But on the good side of breeding, my kittens are starting to open their eyes. :D

Thier fur is starting to get it's nice curl, and they are starting the 'hopper" stage. Popcorn kittens, lol!:p

It seems that we have four cinnamons, and four PEW's or beiges. In a few more days I will be able to tell for sure as to what coloring they will be. I also have four bucks, and four does.

And of course, my sweet Indie(he's independent!), was the first to open his eyes. He was the first to clean himself and the first to take charge and start walking away from the group. He has near perfect Irish markings, nice ears and almost perfect type. :) I just have to see how his curl is in a few weeks, and then I can make the decision if he should be shown. But so far it looks like he will.:)

I took a few pictures of the litter today, as well as Indie, and I would like to share them with you all today. I hope you enjoy the ritten pics. :) Here is a pic of Indie! He's a cinnamon agouti dumbo.

luckies4me
12-22-2002, 01:55 PM
Here are all the kittens together. :)

toughCookie
12-22-2002, 09:56 PM
But on the good side of breeding, my kittens are starting to open their eyes.

you breed cats???when there is so many stray and homeless cats out there? sorry but that just makes me:mad: :(

toughCookie
12-22-2002, 09:58 PM
ok I am confused, are you talking about rats, or felines? you said kittens...:confused:

aly
12-22-2002, 09:59 PM
Baby rats are called kittens. HEhe

Karen
12-22-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by toughCookie
ok I am confused, are you talking about rats, or felines? you said kittens...:confused:

Yes, rat babies are called kittens. She stated in another thread that one rat was already pregnant when she got her, which she didn't know, so these are "surprises." She usually has homes lined up for rattie babies before she lets her rats breed.

Just thought I'd clarify.

COCatMama
12-22-2002, 10:22 PM
people breed pure bred dogs, are we/you going to get mad at them with all the unwanted dogs in the shelters? I guess there's PB cats people breed too. It definitely bothers me although some breeds of dogs are necessary for bomb sniffing/police work /SAR etc. But, I am a mutt-lover :D

BTW luckies those rat babies ARE SO CUTE!! makes me wish I could have a pet rat!!!

kohala
12-22-2002, 10:27 PM
They look so cute all curled up together. I never knew about the "kitten" thing either. We call baby and young humans "kids" , so it's all good to me!!!;)

luckies4me
12-23-2002, 11:25 AM
No I am not breeding cats, rats actually lol! And yes, as everyone stated I only breed when there is a demand and the kittens have homes lined up before hand.

With this litter though, I was so not expecting my doe to be pregnant. So now I just have to deal with it, raise them to be lovers and lickers and find them great homes, which so far is being no problem. I am keeping the dumbo buck and also a PEW buck, to work towards my ultimate goal, which is a PEW dumbo rex. Since the mother is from a breeder, she is very healthy, but because I do not know her background the bucks that I am keeping from this litter will not be bred until they mature, at around 7 to 12 months of age. This way I can see whether they will have temperment problems after puberty. Just to be on the safe side. ;)

I used to breed Bengal Cats yes. I bred them for the love of the breed, the same way I breed my rats. All kittens had homes lined up BEFORE Houdini was bred, and I still keep in contact with the families who took these kittens. And in my adoption agreement it STATES that if they should ever have to part with the animal it be returned to the breeder. Same with rats. We have VERY Strict breeding policies we follow. Of course I am no longer breeding Bengals, and all my cats are altered.

I also do rescue work and have raised many kittens/wildlife/exotics before. I rescue exotics all the time and have had everything from racoons and possums to Chausies. So I know how the unwanted thing is, I am in that boat all the time, but I think that responsible breeders who have homes beforehand should not be responsible for all those out there who ruin it for the good people. It's very sad. I can go on and on about this but I am done. :)

toughCookie
12-23-2002, 11:31 PM
are we/you going to get mad at them with all the unwanted dogs in the shelters?

yep, I would be bothered by that too. breeding dogs for the specific reason of bomb sniffing etc, that's different.

well, you know, I hate to see homeless pets, especially when there are so many people without dogs! right Lalania? LOL

anyway, luckies 4 me, sorry about that, I didn't understand.
what do I know ? LOL