PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a Border Collie or a Border Collie mix?

*LabLoverKEB*
09-29-2001, 11:57 AM
I want to know what they are like! :) I may also decide to get a Border Collie , or a Border Collie mix from a Shelter, too! Thanks! :)

LabLover & Sadie May ;)

aly
09-29-2001, 01:22 PM
Silly girl, you keep changing your mind on dog breeds? :) I think you're like me wishing you could have one of each :D

What I can say about border collies is they are very smart and VERY energetic so be prepared to give extensive exercise on a daily basis. I know you do some agility with Sadie and that'd be great to do with a border collie too.

This is Tobi, the border collie mix at my shelter right now:

http://www.austinspca.com/images/adopt/pets/dogs/HSOA005457A.jpg

Daisy's Mom
09-29-2001, 11:27 PM
I don't have a BC but I work at a farm and they have a 2 month old BC puppy. Rascal is the cutest little guy but the name fits and he is verrrrry hyper. He needs a lot of attention, lots of time to run, lots of room to run, and lots of love! He really is a sweetie but he is definitely not a low maintenance guy! I am going to try to remember to take my digital camera with me to work tomorrow to get a few pictures of him. He's so adorable!

zippy-kat
09-30-2001, 01:52 AM
Although most BCs are rather hyper, my grandmother has one and he is somewhat lazy. He has the farm to roam which he does--but at a walk or SLOW trot! lol Chester takes his investigations serious! Though he keeps himself at a slower pace, he is very very curious and would no-doubt get bored very easily! While, I'm sure there are many BCs who are house dogs, Chester is MISERABLE inside. Therefore, he spends most nights outside asleep on the front porch.

Daisy's Mom
09-30-2001, 07:55 PM
Okay here is sweet little Rascal!

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/033/RY/Lh/fH/BA17406.jpg

It's not the best picture or him, but he's such a cutie!

zippy-kat
09-30-2001, 08:16 PM
How cute is he?!

*LabLoverKEB*
10-01-2001, 08:30 PM
Awwwww!!! Rascal is sooo adorable!!!! And aly, Tobi is absoluteley georgous!!!! I want both of them! :D

lbaker
10-04-2001, 06:13 AM
I live with two Border Collie mixes and two Australian Shepherd mixes. Unless you want to give a single pup some sheep as the ultimate dog toy it's best to have at least two together. Unless of course you have nothing else to do with your time than work with them. They need jobs to be happy, they are not "lay-abouts". Mine have spent the last few weeks digging a "bomb shelter" underneath their outside shelter dome. They want me to stock it with milk bones but we shall wait awhile for that.

lbaker

catwoman
10-04-2001, 11:56 AM
I've heard ducks are good for BCs ... less maintenance for you, tons of fun to herd!

Daisy's Mom
10-04-2001, 07:13 PM
LOL lbaker! That was funny. Welcome to Pet Talk. Do you have any pictures of your babies? They sound adorable :)

lbaker
10-05-2001, 06:16 AM
I have rolls and rolls of pix (everyone just rolls their eyes when I come to work with a pack of just developed film)but I have to find someone to help figure out how to put them "online". Pictures of us camping at the beach, sleeping in a big pile like a children's slumber party and scads more. One of these days. OH OH and my grown son just got two new kittens that think big dogs are wonderful kitten toys. Great pictures there. Ah.....patience is a virtue.

laurie

TollSettFK
10-05-2001, 06:53 AM
I know that they can be very hyper, and crazy. My tip: Look up Cindy Tittle Moore. She has the most extensive, well written papers on all different dog breeds. finnys barking, gotta go!!!!

ownerof3dogs
10-07-2001, 12:22 PM
My dog zeus is a Border collie/ Rotty mix. I have to warn you that even the mixed are very smart and need stuff to do or they find their own stuff to do and you wont like it.
I did agility tain ing with Zeus and he loved it. He loves to jump. He can clear 4 feet easly. Sometimes can clear 6. and can make it over 8 feet if he uses his feet.

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/033/Lb/EY/sr/fu39086.jpg