PDA

View Full Version : Tinkie has a Fractured Femur

emily_the_spoiled
03-23-2015, 01:38 PM
Tinkie was playing with one of the other cats on Saturday night while I was making supper for everyone. Something happened and she hurt herself. At first I thought she had pulled a muscle or something like that, so I put her in my office on Sunday to limit her mobility. But she wasn't getting any better so I took her to the vet this morning. It turns out that she fractured her femur near the head (where the femur bone goes into the hip). She is only about 3.5 years old so she is very very young for something like this to happen.

She is going in for surgery tomorrow, so please keep your fingers crossed for her.

Karen
03-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Tinkie was playing with one of the other cats on Saturday night while I was making supper for everyone. Something happened and she hurt herself. At first I thought she had pulled a muscle or something like that, so I put her in my office on Sunday to limit her mobility. But she wasn't getting any better so I took her to the vet this morning. It turns out that she fractured her femur near the head (where the femur bone goes into the hip). She is only about 3.5 years old so she is very very young for something like this to happen.

She is going in for surgery tomorrow, so please keep your fingers crossed for her.

Oh, ow! Tinkie, how did you manage that? She'll be in our prayers, that Sir Jury will be kind!

phesina
03-23-2015, 02:30 PM
Oh, poor Tinkie! We are saying our prayers and sending along our warm best wishes that the surgery goes well and everything heals up well, and she is soon back to her usual activities.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

emily_the_spoiled
03-23-2015, 03:47 PM
It has been a really expensive few months here in terms of vet bills. Harry died in Jan (had a lot of vet visits and a day and a half in the ER vet), then Nobi died in March (he had a MRI and spinal tap in Feb), and now Tinkie has to have surgery. When I asked how much it would cost she told me and my response was "that wasn't too bad". Then the vet laughed at me because most people would not be saying that about a 4-digit vet bill. But it is much less than I have paid over the last few months and I was happy about that :rolleyes:

I will go pick her up in a couple of hours and look at the x-ray. She will at least spend tonight at home and be back by tomorrow evening. The hard part will be to keep her relatively immobilized for a few weeks while things heal.

Karen
03-23-2015, 05:21 PM
It has been a really expensive few months here in terms of vet bills. Harry died in Jan (had a lot of vet visits and a day and a half in the ER vet), then Nobi died in March (he had a MRI and spinal tap in Feb), and now Tinkie has to have surgery. When I asked how much it would cost she told me and my response was "that wasn't too bad". Then the vet laughed at me because most people would not be saying that about a 4-digit vet bill. But it is much less than I have paid over the last few months and I was happy about that :rolleyes:

I will go pick her up in a couple of hours and look at the x-ray. She will at least spend tonight at home and be back by tomorrow evening. The hard part will be to keep her relatively immobilized for a few weeks while things heal.

Aww, next time you go, you should be wearing a http://teespring.com/everycat shirt!
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=59341&d=1427149242

emily_the_spoiled
03-23-2015, 06:30 PM
I do have a t-shirt that says "keep calm and love a CH kitty". Tinkie also has CH on top of everything else

chocolatepuppy
03-23-2015, 07:52 PM
Prayers for Tinkie's surgery and recovery.

Karen
03-23-2015, 07:56 PM
I do have a t-shirt that says "keep calm and love a CH kitty". Tinkie also has CH on top of everything else

Aww, so that may have figured into the break, too. Give her some extra loving from us!

Catty1
03-23-2015, 08:12 PM
Best wishes for Tinkie's surgery and that she heals quickly!

mrspunkysmom
03-24-2015, 02:45 AM
Wishes and prayers for Tinkie's recovery.

phesina
03-24-2015, 05:36 AM

I have that t-shirt too! :love::love::love::love::love:

Felicia's Mom
03-24-2015, 06:49 AM
Tinkie is in my prayers!

mbsmum
03-24-2015, 07:41 AM
Purrayers on the way to Tinkie. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Karen
03-24-2015, 03:06 PM
Any news? How did it go?

emily_the_spoiled
03-24-2015, 03:23 PM
I took her in about 11AM and she was supposed to be operated on at 1:30PM, but I haven't heard anything back yet. Usually the vets phone as the patient is starting to wake up, so I figure I will give it another half hour or so before phoning there.

I sure hope everything went well. As they explained last night there will be no pins or rods holding it in place. They are removing the femur head (b/c of where the break is) and let scar tissue build up to hold it in place. I am just a little worried because her CH might make her more likely to hurt herself again.

Karen
03-24-2015, 03:29 PM
I took her in about 11AM and she was supposed to be operated on at 1:30PM, but I haven't heard anything back yet. Usually the vets phone as the patient is starting to wake up, so I figure I will give it another half hour or so before phoning there.

I sure hope everything went well. As they explained last night there will be no pins or rods holding it in place. They are removing the femur head (b/c of where the break is) and let scar tissue build up to hold it in place. I am just a little worried because her CH might make her more likely to hurt herself again.

Aww, okay! Breaks in the joint itself are always tricky!

emily_the_spoiled
03-24-2015, 03:43 PM
I just talked with the vet and he said that the surgery went just fine. I can pick her up in a couple of hours and she just needs to be kept quiet for the next day or so and then she can go about her business :)

phesina
03-24-2015, 04:36 PM
Oh, that's good news!

Sending along loads of warm healing energies to dear little Tinkie..

emily_the_spoiled
03-24-2015, 06:35 PM
She is now at home in my office for the night. It is hard to watch her try and walk. Between the after effects of the meds, her CH, and the surgery itself she is having a tough time. They tell me that things will be better tomorrow. So keep your fingers crossed (and a few prayers might help)

Karen
03-24-2015, 06:50 PM
She is now at home in my office for the night. It is hard to watch her try and walk. Between the after effects of the meds, her CH, and the surgery itself she is having a tough time. They tell me that things will be better tomorrow. So keep your fingers crossed (and a few prayers might help)

Aww, prayers on the way. for a restful and healing night for you both! Are the other kitties curious about her, or just steering clear of the office for now?

phesina
03-24-2015, 07:05 PM
Fingers and paw pads crossed, prayers on the way, for a restful and healing night (thank you, Karen) for Tinkie and you.

Catty1
03-24-2015, 07:11 PM
Have a good rest Tinkie - you'll feel more like yourself tomorrow. :love:

Felicia's Mom
03-24-2015, 07:37 PM
I will be keeping Tinkie in my prayers.

emily_the_spoiled
03-25-2015, 01:01 PM
Okay, I am starting to get a little worried. She is still not eating. The last time she ate was Saturday. I have tried everything I can think of (she doesn't even want human tuna or Temptations) and I talked with the vet this morning so I started her on an appetite stimulant. But I am open to suggestions here... Let's hope the stimulant kicks in soon

emily_the_spoiled
03-25-2015, 06:12 PM
She is FINALLY eating something!!!!!!!

mon
03-25-2015, 06:43 PM
So very glad to hear that! It's very upsetting when a sick furkid won't eat!! Maybe now Tinkie will be on a road to a faster recovery, all the best wishes!

phesina
03-25-2015, 06:56 PM
Hallelujah! Good girl, Tinkie!

Karen
03-25-2015, 07:00 PM
And, of course, Phred would recommend Klam Juice! ;)

Felicia's Mom
03-25-2015, 08:13 PM
I am glad she is finally eating.

emily_the_spoiled
03-26-2015, 09:02 AM
I was almost at the point where I was ready to try Klam juice :D

catmandu
03-26-2015, 09:24 AM
Prayers are on the way for Tinkie from the Found Cat Hotel , sadly our Cats are too lively for their own good:love::love::love:

smokey the elder
03-26-2015, 01:42 PM
I hope Tinkie makes a full recovery. I'm glad she started eating. She was probably in some pain. Is she on pain meds?

emily_the_spoiled
03-26-2015, 01:56 PM
Yes she is on pain meds every 8-12 hours and antibiotics. She still isn't moving around much but the vet told me it would take a few days. To bad there isn't kitty rehab (like for people who have hip surgery)

kaycountrygal
03-26-2015, 05:28 PM
Hello, I just read the entire thread. I am sorry your Twinkie had to have an operation. I am relieved to hear that she did good re surgery and that she's eating now. You're both in my prayers re her recovery and getting back to normal. It's stressful for the human and the furbaby when furbaby is not well. Take care... Kay

phesina
03-30-2015, 06:13 PM
How is Tinkie doing now, Cheryl?

We're sending loads of love and prayers and good wishes.

emily_the_spoiled
03-31-2015, 12:40 PM
She finished the pain meds on the weekend and she seems to be doing okay without them. She is having a hard time walking but the vet said that was normal. I have been letting her roam during the day but she isn't going very far from me. At night I keep her in my office. I don't want her to accidentally re-injure herself and I am not awake to hear her. (I know that is being paranoid but until she gets around better I feel more comfortable)

We have an appointment next Wed to have the stitches removed and then I can find out if she is progressing as she should.

phesina
04-01-2015, 06:28 PM
How did today's appointment go, Cheryl?

We are continuing to send along the prayers and love and warm healing energies.

emily_the_spoiled
04-02-2015, 08:26 AM
She actually gets her stitches out next Wed, but for the last couple of days she is getting around. She has now taken to climbing up the chair in my office so that she can sit on the window perch and look down on the birds (while sitting in the sunshine). So all things considered I think she seems to be doing okay (especially since it has only been about a week and a half since the surgery)

Felicia's Mom
04-02-2015, 08:31 AM
I'm glad she is feeling better.:love:

phesina
04-02-2015, 10:46 AM
That sounds wonderful.. very promising!

Keep on keeping on, dear little Tinkie!

katladyd
04-02-2015, 12:26 PM
You just keep on healing, Tinkie. You have a lot of people pulling for you here! :love:

emily_the_spoiled
04-07-2015, 02:00 PM
Exactly 2 weeks after she had hip surgery Tinkie made it down the stairs!!!!! :D:D

She is now mobile enough that I feel more comfortable letting her roam at night (I was keeping her locked in my office).