PDA

View Full Version : Dead animal removal, City Services?

RICHARD
03-16-2015, 01:48 PM
Last summer, I put in some of that black planter fabric over the area under the windows to the front of the house.

Over the past few months, I have seen animals track over the area, in one case, leaving the bones of some meat/animal that a possum or cat may have killed?

Every so often I go and push the stakes that hold the fabric back into the ground to keep the edges down.

--------------------

Two days ago, I noticed that one edge of the fabric was pulled up and there is a large bump in the corner right next to the solar powered house number stand.

I looks like a large possum has taken crawled under the fabric and taken refuge there.

Shoot. (Actually a more crude version of that word came out of my mouth....)

I walked by, to give the poor guy a chance to skedaddle?

Yesterday, I saw that he/she hasn't left yet, so my next move - on the way back from picking up the sunday newspaper was to take my hand and push down on the bump, to see it it's dead or playing 'possum'.

My hand pushed down on the lump and it gives a little. It's a springy and bounces back.....it's a dead friggin possum, tomorrow it's going to be hot, so I postpone my attempted removal of the dead body/critter/creature until this morning....

I ask Doris about the cities dead animal removal service and we both agree that a premature call isn't the BEST way to go about it. I'll peel back the fabric, take a shovel and move the carcass to the curb and cover it with the orange recycle bin....THEN call...

-------

I steel myself to remove any dead being from under the fabric and go grab a shovel and an aluminum walking stick. The stick to move the fabric and the shovel to pick up whatever it is and take it to the curb.....

I take a deep breath and walk to the front yard.

I get to the corner and again poke at the bump.....nothing.

I then take the stick, poke it harder and still nothing.

I take the stick, loosen the steel anchor and peel back the corner......I am expecting a maggoty, smelly mess of an animal - looking up at me, past it's death throes...and find out that it's sprouting green leaves...

It's the daffodil plants that seem to show up every spring.....:eek::confused::p

They have begun their new cycle of life....after all it IS almost Spring?

----------------

I laughed as I walked to the back to put the shovel away.

Sometimes having a 'good' imagination isn't the best thing on the planet....But,I do know that I can take on any annual, flowering plant, from now on?:o

Karen
03-16-2015, 02:05 PM
How funny! And yes, bulbs will find a way! ;)

mon
03-16-2015, 05:13 PM
How lovely is that, well ...very.

RICHARD
03-20-2015, 10:38 AM
A photo of the 'offending bump'?

There are many blooms on the plant.....it's going to get better!!!

Karen
03-20-2015, 11:38 AM
Hee hee - bulbs will find a way! Thanks, we need more pictures as more open of course!