PDA

View Full Version : gardening 2015

Lady's Human
03-03-2015, 06:30 AM
Yeah, it's early.

However, it's bloody cold and I need happy thoughts, so here it is.

We ordered seed for this year's garden, and saw an oddball in the catalog. A giant squash that "they didn't know how to classify so we put it in with the hubbards". Anyone from down south ever have a "Georgia Candy roaster"?

We're going to try it, why not.

The Calendar is telling me it's time to go down and get the tiller's oil changed and get it ready to go, but with 2 feet plus of snow on the ground and nothing above 20 expected for at least another week, the weather is telling me otherwise.

We were talking about gardening at work last week, and one of the guys (who lives far north of me) was saying that St. Patrick's day is the right time to plant peas. I looked at him in puzzlement and asked "With what to till, a jackhammer?"

Karen
03-03-2015, 09:17 AM
Hmm, remember the pumpkin/butternut monster that grew at Bummy's one year? Wonder if it will be like that! For those who are curious, it was huge, orange as a pumpkin but without any ridges - smooth like a butternut squash, and solid like one, too - our grandfather had tossed some rotten squab of both sorts over by a stone wall, and we discovered this late that summer, growing without any human help - it was so heavy it had to be moved with the tractor!

Karen
03-03-2015, 08:33 PM
Also, a haiku set I sent to my gardening buddy at church the other day ...

A few degrees rise
Makes all the difference in mood
Spring seems possible

Snowbanks sigh, weeping
Puddles of despair at their
Diminishing bulk

A sure sign of Spring
Seed orders have been placed and
Hopes of planting grow

Gardens lie sleeping
Beneath thick blankets of snow
Stone and soil as one

But in the mind’s eye
Growing things sprout, flower
Vivid, verdant green

Lady's Human
03-23-2015, 06:11 AM
Sigh...

Got an ad for Hostas in my email the other day, which included instructions on making sure your Hostas thrive.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've never liked hostas, and frankly, every time I've had to remove them it's been a multi- season effort to make sure the suckers were completely removed. Care instructions for hostas? Should be wave roots near occasionally moistened soil and prepare charges of C-4 to remove them once they start to take over.

We also are going to try a new squash from Burpee this year, it's supposed to be basically an acorn-type squash with edible skin so you can roast and eat the whole squash. Should be interesting.

Karen
03-24-2015, 12:54 PM
I can actually see a large enough patch of grass to sit in outside my sliding glass doors to the hard left .... that's progress, right?

Lady's Human
04-09-2015, 12:29 AM
So, we started our Okra and Bok Choi seeds in the mini-greenhouse in the living room three days ago.

We haven't seen any sprouts yet. Should I dig up the seeds and see what's wrong? :p

Karen
04-09-2015, 12:35 AM
So, we started our Okra and Bok Choi seeds in the mini-greenhouse in the living room three days ago.

We haven't seen any sprouts yet. Should I dig up the seeds and see what's wrong? :p

Um, now, now - no pulling 'em up to check the roots when they sprout, either!

Lady's Human
04-09-2015, 02:36 AM
Not MY fault the Zinnias were slow!!!

mbsmum
04-09-2015, 02:36 AM
It fakes about a week for Okra seeds to sprout. Patience please, mine have sprouted but are at 2 leaves stage since 10 days.

Lady's Human
04-09-2015, 02:49 AM
I know, MBsmum, it's an old, old joke between my sister and I. ;)

mbsmum
04-09-2015, 04:27 AM
I apologise, I did not know that Karen was your sister.

Karen
04-09-2015, 10:50 PM
That's okay! He currently has some seeds for me - he places a big seed order, but I am in the city, so can only plant a pot and hope .... I live in a shady spot in a shady apartment, but managed to move my one pot of basil around enough last year to grow some!

mon
04-10-2015, 12:45 AM
family so beautiful
love so very
very old deep

death so real
like fresh soil
like death real

beauty and graveyards
intimate my own
cold lovely forever

kaycountrygal
04-10-2015, 08:18 AM
Lady's Human, Where are you located? just curious ...

I'm in central North Carolina and have already mowed the grass and need to do it again.

Karen
04-10-2015, 12:40 PM
Lady's Human, Where are you located? just curious ...

I'm in central North Carolina and have already mowed the grass and need to do it again.

He is just about as far North as me, just further west. He's in upstate New York, if you look at a map and can find Binghamton, he is North of that!

Karen
04-10-2015, 05:09 PM
So the last bit of snow in the back yard finally melted today ... the ground is not yet completely thawed, but that is a step in the right direction, right?